Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 34
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Rode my buddy’s royal enfield himalayan the other day. Not quite as off road worthy as that but it was fun. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 2:33:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GunsAndGrills:
Rode my buddy’s royal enfield himalayan the other day. Not quite as off road worthy as that but it was fun. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/548369/624BD410-31D1-444D-BE09-1A085B91A68F_jpe-2660250.JPG
View Quote

They are good fun. I love the way they look and by most accounts they are holding their own. My only real complaint is they are a little underpowered.

And I say that after harping about how massive amounts of power is just fluff. But somewhere down near the bottom we end up with a bit too little. The bike struggles a bit on hills and in fast traffic.

I do love its looks though and anything sub 65mph it is a very cool bike. Even 5 more HP and I would likely have one.

I think this bike in size and geometry is a good representation of what an ADV bike should likely be for most people.

But having said all of that…my wife has a Ural so my opinions are suspect to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

Oh’ I am not saying big enduros are bad. But by do all I mean ride to the store, ride on a some back roads or two track, or even load it up with luggage and hit a decent amount of pavement on your way to Ushuaia. That is an ADV bike to me. They can’t replace dirt oriented bikes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Phobby:

It all depends on how experienced you are on what your ridding. Ive ridden them all- 300s are fun but I like my 570s for all around. (250lbs to my size is not a big bike) I have yet to learn the ways of the Jedi with a GSA on dunes.

Oh’ I am not saying big enduros are bad. But by do all I mean ride to the store, ride on a some back roads or two track, or even load it up with luggage and hit a decent amount of pavement on your way to Ushuaia. That is an ADV bike to me. They can’t replace dirt oriented bikes.

These are enduro bikes, ADV pigs need not apply
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=enduro+motorcycle+racing+videos&docid=608040500617509702&mid=F4721660BE3FF91C53E2F4721660BE3FF91C53E2&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 2:56:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WoodHeat] [#4]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]

My ADV bikes would piss themselves.

On another note I am obviously out of touch as I didn’t know about the Vstrom 800 either.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
View All Quotes
pipes should be higher and should have a nicer skid plate
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eopiajcj29M
Sadly none of the changes mentioned in the video are on the US version. Minor color changes are all we got.

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no idea why I'm getting all of the quote boxes in my reply above.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:

View Quote

that is sad
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:13:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#9]

View Quote

I think you are trying to talk about the Tenere 700. My biggest complaint is the fact the subframe is not bolted on. Then the exhaust hanger looks like it was purpose made to destroy the frame. In fact I talked to the reps at a demo ride last year and they admitted they have seen some of that. Now how much I dont know but the dude brought it up in a fit of honesty. My luck I would have it fall over in the driveway and I would total the frame.

That aside, I am very impressed with the Tenere 700.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Jeez, we're at around 500 lb's for enduros now? Dang...........

And I thought my old 76' TT500 with long travel front and rear suspension, tuned exhaust, aftermarket plastic tank, and some engine mods was heavy................

Wish I had never sold that old beast, actually loved that bike except on tight trails. On sand and for climbing, it was a beast for it's time.
View Quote

Had that exact same bike sold my DT400 to get it...wish I would have kept both of them
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#11]

I think you are trying to talk about the Tenere 700. My biggest complaint is the fact the subframe is not bolted on. Then the exhaust hanger looks like it was purpose made to destroy the frame. In fact I talked to the reps at a demo ride last year and they admitted they have seen some of that. Now how much I dont know but the dude brought it up in a fit of honesty. My luck I would have it fall over in the driveway and I would total the frame.

View Quote

My friends Tiger has a salvage title from a driveway drop that ever so slightly tweaked the subframe thanks to the passenger foot peg. He should have never filed an insurance claim, I'm pretty sure the damage done to the front fairings was cheaper to repair than his deductible. I  would have tried to talk him out of it if I knew before he called me bitching about the whole situation with insurance.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Pipes should definitely be higher.

On a trip back from Tennessee to Chicago, I ran into a 5-mile long traffic jam in Indiana that had come to a dead stop. On the wide shoulder, a couple of R1200GS riders passed by. So I wormed my way over to the right and started a 15mph journey up the shoulder. Better than standing still for hours.

Made it to the front of the traffic jam. The recent storm had caused a river to flood over and a 150-175 yard section of the highway was 10-12" underwater.

At the very front of the 5-mile long parking lot was a group of guys on Harley Baggers with pipes that were .87" off the ground. They were scared. I would have been, too, if I were riding my FXD SuperGlide.

The R1200GS riders were long gone. So I dived in and swam across. I got completely soaked from the knees down but was able to continue my journey because I was riding this:

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Honda ought to put this motor in a sporty chassis that they could sell for less than an RS660 and potentially be better than an R7.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ayada:

My friends Tiger has a salvage title from a driveway drop that ever so slightly tweaked the subframe thanks to the passenger foot peg. He should have never filed an insurance claim, I'm pretty sure the damage done to the front fairings was cheaper to repair than his deductible. I  would have tried to talk him out of it if I knew before he called me bitching about the whole situation with insurance.
View Quote

I dont doubt any of that, it was a major flaw. But Triumph actually listened. The newer Tiger 900 has a bolt on sub-frame and bolt on peg mounts.

Meanwhile Kawasaki got rid of the bolt on sub-frame for the KLR.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 1literduceater:
The ADV segment is so saturated now. All we really need is the Vstrom and Ktm 500.... But damn I look cool on this GSA.

And what about the future of the segment? We have heated everything, 87 ride modes, active suspension, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, etc. Where does it go from here? Does it die like the middle weight sport bike segment?
View Quote

I still think the 1983 BMW R80G/S Paris-Dakar I had was the perfect adventure bike.

It was geared too low for highway riding, but I rode it from Chicago to Aspen, CO nevertheless. And took it on some very gnarly singletrack.

Fun Fact: I bought that bike sight-unseen from a guy in California in 1999 for $4500.

Three years later, a guy in Colorado bought it from me, sight-unseen for $7500.

Ten years later (I've kept track of it) he sold it for $14,000.

A little over a year ago, it changed hands again for $19,500.

I should have hung onto it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By USMC2671:
Honda ought to put this motor in a sporty chassis that they could sell for less than an RS660 and potentially be better than an R7.
View Quote

Presto!

The 2023 Honda Hornet

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:34:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#17]
Originally Posted By BikerNut:

I still think the 1983 BMW R80G/S Paris-Dakar I had was the perfect adventure bike.

It was geared too low for highway riding, but I rode it from Chicago to Aspen, CO nevertheless. And took it on some very gnarly singletrack.

Fun Fact: I bought that bike sight-unseen from a guy in California in 1999 for $4500.

View Quote

I would absolutely love to have one. But you have laid out perfectly the reason I don’t.

I had a chance to buy a clean R100gs a couple years ago for $4500. A bumblebee. Like a jackass I didn’t.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#18]

I am on the fence about it though I had a great time at the one time I went to. I have another trip planned not too long after that. Of course the MOA rally is just a long weekend.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Emoto:

Plans are not solid, but I hope to make the MOA rally since it is within striking distance this year. Maybe there should be an Arfcom gathering.

I am on the fence about it though I had a great time at the one time I went to. I have another trip planned not too long after that. Of course the MOA rally is just a long weekend.

You should both definitely go.

Not only is it BMWMOA's 50th Anniversary, it is also BMW's 100th Anniversary. I expect it will be an event worth attending.

If you go, stop by the National Cycle/ZTechnik booth and say hi.

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Not only is it BMWMOA's 50th Anniversary, it is also BMW's 100th Anniversary. I expect it will be an event worth attending.

View Quote

Are you going to show me the perfect screen for my DR650?
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:46:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scrambler28] [#20]
My next bike short list is the CB500X and the Versys 650. Leaning towards the Honda due to price, mpg and seat height.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#21]

I just had a conversation about that on ADVrider yesterday. Richmond isnt exactly known for its great riding roads. I guess the Chesapeake Bay is an easy ride.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Emoto:

I've been to a handful of them and always enjoyed myself. Richmond seems like an odd spot to pick.

I just had a conversation about that on ADVrider yesterday. Richmond isnt exactly known for its great riding roads. I guess the Chesapeake Bay is an easy ride.

MOA Rally locations are mostly a repeating but alternating pattern of west coast, west central, central, east central and east cost locations, so that "everybody gets a turn."

But exact locations are politically pressured by regional MOA-sanctioned clubs, and great riding roads don't usually come into account. Which is why we get rallies in places like Des Moines.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BubbasBarNGrill:
Seems fat for how small it appears. My SMCR is 325lbs and can double as an ADV bike.
View Quote

This is what I thought. I would have guessed 80-100lbs less than it is by the photo.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GunsAndGrills:
Rode my buddy’s royal enfield himalayan the other day. Not quite as off road worthy as that but it was fun. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/548369/624BD410-31D1-444D-BE09-1A085B91A68F_jpe-2660250.JPG
View Quote

It's what an ADV bike would be like in the 1980s. Which in my opinion is not a bad thing.

The OEM windscreen on that bike was manufactured by the company I work for AND I made the artwork (in Adobe Illustrator) for the silver silkscreen.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:55:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WoodHeat] [#24]

View All Quotes

(Wrong quote, sorry)
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#25]

On a trip back from Tennessee to Chicago, I ran into a 5-mile long traffic jam in Indiana that had come to a dead stop. On the wide shoulder, a couple of R1200GS riders passed by. So I wormed my way over to the right and started a 15mph journey up the shoulder. Better than standing still for hours.

Made it to the front of the traffic jam. The recent storm had caused a river to flood over and a 150-175 yard section of the highway was 10-12" underwater.

At the very front of the 5-mile long parking lot was a group of guys on Harley Baggers with pipes that were .87" off the ground. They were scared. I would have been, too, if I were riding my FXD SuperGlide.

The R1200GS riders were long gone. So I dived in and swam across. I got completely soaked from the knees down but was able to continue my journey because I was riding this:

https://cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/octane/2ZG4AVJX65CRRILOCA22FDCD5E.jpg
View All Quotes

https://cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/octane/2ZG4AVJX65CRRILOCA22FDCD5E.jpg

My wife has advised me that the F850GS is her next bike.

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:00:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WoodHeat] [#26]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

For some reason on mobile I'm getting quote boxes and all sorts of problems posting.

I was just pointing out that the 2023 described in the quoted video is not coming to the US. No cool TFT, connectivity, and modes for us. I swear that Yamaha hates the US...we get things last, and their OEM accessory lineup in Europe is ten times more extensive than what's available here.

My 2023 should arrive before the end of the month. In my case the workaround for that exhaust bracket will be the Rally Raid soft luggage rack. It comes with a bracket that provides considerable extra support to the exhaust mount. I'm sure that someone like Camel, RR, or one of the Australian companies will figure out another fix eventually.

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By scrambler28:
My next bike short list is the CB500X and the Versys 650. Leaning towards the Honda due to price, mpg and seat height.
View Quote

My wife had the CB500X and loved it on the road. It proved to be too delicate off road though, even with SW Motech crash bars and skid plate.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:09:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#29]
Attachment Attached File

I have been eying the transalp for a bit. Interested to see it in person.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m happy to see Honda continue to bring ADV bikes to market.  I am more interested however in what Suzuki intends to do to the DR650 next.  With Honda’s CRF450RL they could drop the XR650L and very few would notice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#31]

My wife had the CB500X and loved it on the road. It proved to be too delicate off road though, even with SW Motech crash bars and skid plate.
View Quote

I don't plan to do much offroading, mostly commuting and longer weekend trips that may have some gravel roads.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#32]

I would absolutely love to have one. But you have laid out perfectly the reason I don’t.

I had a chance to buy a clean R100gs a couple years ago for $4500. A bumblebee. Like a jackass I didn’t.
View All Quotes

My older brother (who was with me on the Aspen trip) rode a bumblebee that he put over 150K miles on.

Things to be cautious about with the R80G/S and the early R100GS.

Alternators have a 30-35,000 mile lifespan. Like the one that left me stranded in Indiana. So do the diode boards.

On the R100GS, the Paralever breaks driveshafts at moody intervals, like the one that left my brother stranded in the middle of New Mexico. He bought an extra driveshaft and carried it at the bottom of his Jesse saddlebags.

All early 1980s airheads had "improved" valve seats that turned to shit after 35K miles. I went from adjusting my valves every 6-8 months, to every month, to every week, then to every other day. Back when I owned it, four new valve seats and valves were $1200.

The original solo seat/extended luggage on the R80G/S is the most uncomfortable thing your butt will ever experience. It will literally make you cry on long trips. The sound inside your helmet is you screaming.

I would still buy another. The many pluses outweigh the minuses
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Bhart89:
I’m happy to see Honda continue to bring ADV bikes to market.  I am more interested however in what Suzuki intends to do to the DR650 next.  With Honda’s CRF450RL they could drop the XR650L and very few would notice.
View Quote

It wouldnt be anything good. It would probably add 50 pounds and introduce failure points.

My DR in my opinion is just about the perfect ADV bike. Of course I did spend a ton on suspension. But it can turn off of a highway and handle any dirt short of tight single track all while loaded.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

We don't make one specific to the DR650, only these universal bar-mount screens.

But we have sold nearly a million of them. Unbreakable polycarbonate, scratch-proof hardcoating.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Vern1968:

This is what I thought. I would have guessed 80-100lbs less than it is by the photo.
View Quote

A KTM 690 is 350lbs wet, so you are pretty much asking for this bike to be the same weight as the 690 but with an extra cylinder, extra fairing, and extra accommodations.

I'm not saying Honda couldn't have cut weight from this at all, but at the same time this "It should weigh as much as a big thumper otherwise it's overweight" is a bit of a dream.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

We bought a CB500X as a test mule for new accessories. When we were done, my youngest son bought it from us for $5000.

Since he was a new rider with no highway experience, I rode it for the 50-mile trip to his house while he followed in my car.

As someone with a lot of miles on 650cc to 1250cc adventure bikes, I wasn't expecting much. But I was FUCKING IMPRESSED.

Great ergonomics, excellent handling, better than 500cc performance.

I figured he'd ride it for 3-4 years and then trade up to a CRF1100. But he could ride the CB500X forever and still be happy.

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:54:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BikerNut] [#37]

View All Quotes

She will need long legs. I'm 5'11" and having to tip-toe in stop-and-go traffic jams was a challenge for me.

I think BMW has a lower seat height option, however. But I highly, highly recommend that bike. It's practically perfect.

My boss has an F750GS with the factory lowering kit (suspension/swingarm linkage). But I've never ridden it. He loves it, though.

ETA: The bike I pictured above may be a good fit for her. The one I rode had this seat on it:

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Zak-Smith:
heavy as fuck and underpowered
View Quote

I "adventurized" my '78 CX500 and have engaged in other street bike off-roading with other stock bikes and the TA has got to be way better than those options.

It's nice to be able to opportunistically engage in some questionable decision making when route finding on dirt roads and not immediately hate life when you find you need more ground clearance than expected.

Being able to comfortably run highway speeds opens up a bunch of riding options most places.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#39]

I don't plan to do much offroading, mostly commuting and longer weekend trips that may have some gravel roads.
View All Quotes

You'll be fine then.

Just be aware that the engine is the frame in the middle of the bike, so the crash bars are bolting in to the cast aluminum lugs on the engine. My wife flat dropped it in a parking lot and it bent both sides of the crash bars two inches off center (the right and left sides are connected). I was pretty happy that she didn't break off a lug.

Another almost stationary drop punched a hole in the alternator cover, dumping all of the oil, even though there were crash bars.

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#40]

We bought a CB500X as a test mule for new accessories. When we were done, my youngest son bought it from us for $5000.

Since he was a new rider with no highway experience, I rode it for the 50-mile trip to his house while he followed in my car.

As someone with a lot of miles on 650cc to 1250cc adventure bikes, I wasn't expecting much. But I was FUCKING IMPRESSED.

I figured he'd ride it for 3-4 years and then trade up to a CRF1100. But he could ride the CB500X forever and still be happy.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Featured_XAG_CB500.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the input, kinda mirrors what I have been hearing from others. My only apprehension is how does it run at 70-75 mph on the interstate for long periods,  do you have to wring its neck?
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#41]

She will need long legs. I'm 5'11" and having to tip-toe in stop-and-go traffic jams was a challenge for me.

I think BMW has a lower seat height option, however. But I highly, highly recommend that bike. It's practically perfect.

My boss has an F750GS with the factory lowering kit (suspension/swingarm linkage). But I've never ridden it. He loves it, though.

ETA: The bike I pictured above may be a good fit for her. The one I rode had this seat on it:

https://secure.images.demo.dev.pixelmotiondemo.com/seo/2020/BMW%20Motorrad/F%20850%20GS%20Adventure.jpg
View All Quotes

https://secure.images.demo.dev.pixelmotiondemo.com/seo/2020/BMW%20Motorrad/F%20850%20GS%20Adventure.jpg

She sat on the bike with the standard seat and the stock road tires and she found it pretty close to the CB500X in terms of seat height. She thinks that the low seat will let her flat foot.

I was going to get one too but then Tenere fever set in. I'll let her have the cooler bike for a couple of years before I buy the newer version and make her jealous.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Thanks for the input, kinda mirrors what I have been hearing from others. My only apprehension is how does it run at 70-75 mph on the interstate for long periods,  do you have to wring its neck?
View All Quotes

http://www.nationalcycle.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Featured_XAG_CB500.jpg

If you want a bit more you could look at the NC750X. That handles highway just fine
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Have you checked out the KTM 390 Adventure? Seems like it performs favorably in head to heads with the CB500X.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Bhart89:
I'm happy to see Honda continue to bring ADV bikes to market.  I am more interested however in what Suzuki intends to do to the DR650 next.  With Honda's CRF450RL they could drop the XR650L and very few would notice.
View Quote
Honda needs to build this:

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
Honda needs to build this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdYgtPryNow
View Quote

Reminds me of the KTM 640 Adventure that I have always loved the look of.  However I understand they vibrate like crazy and apparently oil changes are ridiculous.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

I did not have to wring its neck.

It doesn't run at 75mph like my Harley, which just snores along, waiting to be woken up.

But it runs at 75mph as well as my old Kawasaki GPz750 did. Well, kind of.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:47:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BikerNut] [#47]
Originally Posted By BillythePoet:

Have you checked out the KTM 390 Adventure? Seems like it performs favorably in head to heads with the CB500X.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillythePoet:

We had a 390 Adventure for a while, but I never rode it. We sold it a few months ago.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#48]
For me, the 750 Transalp would be a larger version of my DR650. If I wanted to snowbird in AZ, I could self-load it into my pickup and tow a travel trailer.
A Sargent seat and an aftermarket gas tank would give it better "Touring" capability.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:29:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#49]
Originally Posted By curiomatic:
For me, the 750 Transalp would be a larger version of my DR650. If I wanted to snowbird in AZ, I could self-load it into my pickup and tow a travel trailer.
A Sargent seat and an aftermarket gas tank would give it better "Touring" capability.
View Quote

I am afraid they would overlap too much. I had that happen in my last KLR and GSA. At the end of the day they filled the same role. So I sold my 3rd and final KLR. Traded it actually.

When I got my DR I immediately stripped as much weight as possible to make a more dirt friendly and much lighter bike than my KLR. I managed to get enough space between the DR and the GSA that I don’t feel bad about the overlap in the middle as it is a much smaller overlap than the KLR.

How much lighter than my KLR? 100 plus pounds with comparable fuel. I know that seems crazy, but the DR is easier to cut weight on with the right exhaust and because of its design it doesn’t need as much protection especially with a Safari tank.

Even so…my DR650 in TAT trim with soft bags on racks and admittedly almost nine gallons of fuel for the highway, weighs almost exactly 500 pounds. If you guys think that is bad then don’t ever weigh your own loaded bike. In fairness my racks weigh 20 pounds. So weight could be cut there with some sacrifice in convenience.

Based on the weight of my DR I suspect my GSA, when loaded, to weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 2700 pounds.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 2:35:40 AM EDT
[#50]

I am afraid they would overlap too much. I had that happen in my last KLR and GSA. At the end of the day they filled the same role. So I sold my 3rd and final KLR. Traded it actually.

When I got my DR I immediately stripped as much weight as possible to make a more dirt friendly and much lighter bike than my KLR. I managed to get enough space between the DR and the GSA that I don’t feel bad about the overlap in the middle as it is a much smaller overlap than the KLR.

How much lighter than my KLR? 100 plus pounds with comparable fuel. I know that seems crazy, but the DR is easier to cut weight on with the right exhaust and because of its design it doesn’t need as much protection especially with a Safari tank.

Even so…my DR650 in TAT trim with soft bags on racks and admittedly almost nine gallons of fuel for the highway, weighs almost exactly 500 pounds. If you guys think that is bad then don’t ever weigh your own loaded bike. In fairness my racks weigh 20 pounds. So weight could be cut there with some sacrifice in convenience.

Based on the weight of my DR I suspect my GSA, when loaded, to weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 2700 pounds.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By curiomatic:

But the Transalp has twice the HP of the DR, and would probably be a more capable "only" bike. I don't do serious dirt riding any more; gravel roads and a few fire roads are as rough as it gets.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top