BCM
User Panel

Page / 34
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gspointer:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315192/IMG_3103_jpeg-3134249.JPG
I think I will put in a few miles today, do the 1st oil change, then re-check torque on the swingarm, shock, triple-clamp axles, pinch bolts etc.  Just check to see if anything I R&R’d yesterday settled in. I’m not expecting to really notice the damper unless I hit a rock, root etc.
View Quote

What's cool about the Scott's is that it was originally designed and built by Ohlins.
I had a 2002 Suzuki TL1000R that had the Ohlins steering damper.
Scotts rebuilt it for me.
I ran one on my 300, 350 and 500 KTM's.
Expensive but worth it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 4:48:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Squatch] [#2]
Originally Posted By Willz:
I’ve been following this thread for awhile and over the last year I’ve been planning my return to riding.

I’m going with a BMW R1250GS or the newer R1300GS. These seem to be better suited for two up touring.

I keep looking at used 1250s and new but keep going back to the 1300.

My feeling at this point is get a 1250 and give BMW a year or so to shake out all the bugs.

Currently my local dealer said the 1300 is on a BMW ordered “stop sale”.
Apparently the starter relay under the left side panel is prone to overheating/ melting and they’ve had a few catch fire.  

View Quote

1250GSA owner here.  Love the bike, does everything I need it to do and despite what the Starbucks crowd says, is a very capable off-road machine (provided the pilot has the skill to trust and handle the bike).

At this point, the only thing that would compel me to consider the 1300GS over the 1250 is the fact that the former is much more svelte than the latter.  I know they haven't come out with the GSA version of the 1300 yet, but the 1250GSA is a very broad in every sense of the word.  She's a hefty gal.

I really like the comfort of the 1300GS cockpit, but I'm starting to hear from some new owners that the "sit on your nuts" feeling that plagues stock 1250GS seats is even more pronounced with the 1300.

All this to say: personally, I'm going to ride my 1250GSA until the wheels fall off.  Not looking to retain "resale value" or any of that nonsense.  By the time I'm ready for a new bike, BMW will probably be turning out 1500cc ADV bikes.  But, if I was in the market for a bike, I'd probably get a 1250GSA again.  I've had mine for 5 years now, and have *barely* scratched the surface on what it can do.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: also look at BMW's F bikes.  I ride my son's F800GS from time to time, and it's a feather compared to my 1250 and because it's so light by comparison, it just feels incredibly lively.  It's not nearly as well faired as the bigger bike, but a lot of times that's a good thing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah considered a smaller bike for a bit but I need something more suited for two up touring.
BMW currently has zero down, zero APR on 2023 models.
I’m leaning toward 1250 and give them time to get the bugs out of the 1300 and release the 1300 GSA, which is rumored to be next year.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah considered a smaller bike for a bit but I need something more suited for two up touring.
I’m leaning toward 1250 and give them time to get the bugs out of the 1300 and release the 1300 GSA, which is rumored to be next year.

View Quote

Touring or ADV riding?

If the former, I would get either the K1600GTL or R1250RT.  The 1600 is pure butter for long days in the saddle (especially two up).

You have to keep in mind...the GS bikes are built on compromise.  They can go off road, but not as good as a dual sport or other purpose built dirt bike.  The can tour, but not as comfortably as a RT.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have my sights trained on the Tenere 700.  Specifically, the World Raid version if I can get my hands on it.
World Raid Customization.
A huge benefit of the World Raid conversion is making the bike easier to ride on technical offroad sections by lowering the center of gravity.

Here's a cool video about the Tenere in-stock version, some owner's customizations, and the World Raid package.
Ultimate Yamaha Tenere 700 Showdown: 2024 v World Raid v 2019 Epic Shootout for Adventure Dominance

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:
I have my sights trained on the Tenere 700.  Specifically, the World Raid version if I can get my hands on it.
A huge benefit of the World Raid conversion is making the bike easier to ride on technical offroad sections by lowering the center of gravity.

Here's a cool video about the Tenere in-stock version, some owner's customizations, and the World Raid package.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaoorpG3Oxk
View Quote

You should also sub to this guy's channel.  He has modified his T7 and rides the everliving shit out of it:

ARiemann1

Why I chose to upgrade my bike's suspension T7 World Raid Ep4
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

I will go trade my Africa Twin in if they bring the World Raid to the US.

Speaking of the AT, a box of goodies just came in from Rocky Mountain.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:59:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#8]
Originally Posted By Squatch:

View Quote

Touring or ADV riding?

If the former, I would get either the K1600GTL or R1250RT.  The 1600 is pure butter for long days in the saddle (especially two up).

You have to keep in mind...the GS bikes are built on compromise.  They can go off road, but not as good as a dual sport or other purpose built dirt bike.  The can tour, but not as comfortably as a RT.
View Quote

I realize it is a compromise and I understand the limitations of a dual sport.
My riding will be 70/30 pavement/dirt.
I don’t want to be limited to pavement only and I like the utilitarian aspect of the GS.
So if I want to do some off pavement riding/ camping etc I’m gtg.

I guess that’s the attraction of the 1300.
It’s sportier, a bit lighter , more HP and still capable of going off road.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:07:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RO73] [#9]
When I purchased my ADV bike, I really wanted the 1250GS but it was out of my price range. I looked at the F850GS and loved the way it looked, but hated it once I rode it. The BMW salesman told me that if I can’t get a 1250GS and wanted a middleweight ADV bike to look at the Triumph Tiger 900. One test ride and I was sold. It’s a light bike with plenty of Horsepower (100 hp), and has every option known to man for about $1k less than the F850GS and at the time, $9K less than a 1250GS. I’ve been very happy with it for the past 3 years. Just giving you another option.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SBRChris:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384916/1000003492_jpg-3134751.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Someone's getting a new suspension!!!?!?!?!?!

Also Chris - go to the World Raid Customization link I posed and scroll down.  They don't have US & Canada yet, but it looks like they're working on it...
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:23:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tree-hugger] [#11]
Originally Posted By RO73:
When I purchased my ADV bike, I really wanted the 1250GS but it was out of my price range. I looked at the F850GS and loved the way it looked, but hated it once I rode it. The BMW salesman told me that if I can’t get a 1250GS and wanted a middleweight ADV bike to look at the Triumph Tiger 900. One test ride and I was sold. It’s a light bike with plenty of Horsepower (100 hp), and has every option known to man for about $1k less than the F850GS and at the time, $9K less than a 1250GS. I’ve been very happy with it for the past 3 years. Just giving you another option.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379800/IMG_5496_jpeg-3134837.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379800/IMG_6842_jpeg-3134838.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379800/IMG_6468_jpeg-3134839.JPG
View Quote

I like the Tiger as an option because they have a shorter model that would work well for me.

Not sure it is as capable off-road as the Tenere though.  (seriously.  I wouldn't know one way or the other.  I've only seen comparisons between it the T7 and the Transalp)
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#12]

I like the Tiger as an option because they have a shorter model that would work well for me.

Not sure it is as capable off-road as the Tenere though.  (seriously.  I wouldn't know one way or the other.  I've only seen comparisons between it the T7 and the Transalp)
View Quote

Strictly off-road? The Tenere 700 is going to be the better bike. If you’re looking for a happy medium between road and dirt, the Tiger has filled that role for me. Good luck in your decision. We all know if money wasn’t a factor, we would have all the bikes
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Strictly off-road? The Tenere 700 is going to be the better bike. If you’re looking for a happy medium between road and dirt, the Tiger has filled that role for me. Good luck in your decision. We all know if money wasn’t a factor, we would have all the bikes
View All Quotes

You'regotdamnright.gif

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Went to Harbor Freight yesterday and bought some stuff for a “trailer” tool bag so I can leave my real tools at home. That Icon torque wrench will stay home. (It has a big range, 5-75 ft. Lb.) I bought a digital torque adapter to fit in the bag. I ordered a 1-1/6” socket to fit the BRP triple clamp top nut, and some brass drift punches. Still need a chain slack gauge, and some tire repair/replace tools.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#16]
One of the best additions to my motorcycle tool box:

Hand impact screwdriver driver

Take your pick.

Put the driver in the appropriate position, hold it tightly against the screw while twisting in the direction you want the screw to move, and tap with a hammer.

I've only ever used it to remove screws.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Take your pick.

Put the driver in the appropriate position, hold it tightly against the screw while twisting in the direction you want the screw to move, and tap with a hammer.

View Quote

I have one in my regular tool box, they have used even if you have an impact
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Take your pick.

Agreed.  The last thing you want is to strip out a screw.  Especially in a parking lot

Can't bring myself to carry it on my bike but it's easy enough for someone to ride back to 'base camp' to retrieve it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#19]

You should also sub to this guy's channel.  He has modified his T7 and rides the everliving shit out of it:

ARiemann1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJMr2kq9rw
View All Quotes

ARiemann1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJMr2kq9rw

Just watched that.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Chain lube, or chain wax?

My last bike was belt drive.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Alembic:

View Quote

Never Buy Chain Lube Again? Comparison Test

Interesting video on the subject.

I've used spray chain wax and gear oil. I just bought a can of Motul offroad chain lube to try out the other day. The wax definitely seems to have more potential for build up in my use vs the gear oil.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPYdcbcAe0

I've used spray chain wax and gear oil. I just bought a can of Motul offroad chain lube to try out the other day. The wax definitely seems to have more potential for build up in my use vs the gear oil.
View Quote

That was good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#23]
There is Something WRONG with this Bike - The 1300 GS - Beyond the MEDIA HYPE

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Got some riding in this morning on the ranch to keep the bike fresh.  I'm planning a trip from the house to Big Bend National park and the Mexican Border near Boquillas del Carmen.

Are there any places to avoid in the National Park or local areas? Must do trails, things to see, or places to eat?

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alembic:

I've been using the Motul offroad chain lube for almost 10k miles now. I haven't experienced much build up, but on the really dusty days it will pick up fine dust and really need to be cleaned when I get home.

I'm not sure how often chains should need to be adjusted, but I've only had to take up a tiny bit of slack over that 10k miles.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Out with the old and in with the new before the upcoming meetup at March Moto Madness. Also have a fresh set of tires on the way.

Attachment Attached File

Old spring vs new spring

Attachment Attached File

I mistakenly ordered the wrong weight fork oil so they will sit on the bench for a couple days until that arrives.

It was on to the air filters at that point. I had to remove the top bolts to swing the crash bar out of the way to remove the fairings.

Attachment Attached File

After the air filter change, I pulled the rear shock to change out the spring with a Racetech replacement. I was about to compress the spring when I get told dinner is ready so that will have to wait until after.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Love Rocky Mountain
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Went out for a 100 mile loop on Saturday. Some nice dirt roads, some loose sand, and some soft, fine loose dirt. Probably 10% paved, 60% gravel. The rest dirt. Had some areas to be completely off road. It was a great day. The bike was awesome. 4-stroke engine braking is a good thing, and a big 4-T thumper is nice if you aren’t in the “right” gear. Ordering a helmet and a sena 50 today.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#29]
First ride of the year yesterday.  Made a 140 mile loop to get fried chicken for lunch.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Bhart89:
First ride of the year yesterday.  Made a 140 mile loop to get fried chicken for lunch.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23561/IMG_3123_jpeg-3149226.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23561/IMG_3122_jpeg-3149227.JPG
View Quote

Nice! Add a beer and that is one of my favorite kind of rides!
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Bhart89:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23561/IMG_3123_jpeg-3149226.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23561/IMG_3122_jpeg-3149227.JPG
View Quote

Nice!  I once did 140 miles (Cuba, MO to Mammoth Spring, AR) for a catfish lunch.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:58:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#32]
Did a test ride on a new 2024 BMW R1300GS and a 2023 R1250GS.

The 1300 was like riding a dirt bike. Engine noise coming up behind the wind screen was annoying to say the least. I know it wasn't broken in yet but it was not a pleasant sound.
Exhaust note was equally irritating. The ride mode was set to "road" which was the soft setting compared to the "Dynamic" setting. It was a fairly smooth ride and despite all the racket, was a pleasant ride but more like a dirt bike to me. Also I'm spoiled on inline 4 cylinder bikes, so the lumpy feel of the 2 cylinder was very evident.

The 1250 was in my opinion a much better ride. It felt and sounded more solid. Engine noise reminded me of a diesel and the exhaust note was deeper and much more enjoyable.
The ride was smooth and the 2 cylinder lumpiness was not as pronounced. This may be more of my perception from the noise of the 1300.
My passenger liked the feel and ride of the 1250 more than the 1300 as well.

So, I'll let BMW work out the bugs on the 1300 and I'm in the market for a 2023 1250 GS or GSA.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:55:59 AM EDT
[#33]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315192/GPTempDownload_jpeg-3149022.JPG
Went out for a 100 mile loop on Saturday. Some nice dirt roads, some loose sand, and some soft, fine loose dirt. Probably 10% paved, 60% gravel. The rest dirt. Had some areas to be completely off road. It was a great day. The bike was awesome. 4-stroke engine braking is a good thing, and a big 4-T thumper is nice if you aren’t in the “right” gear. Ordering a helmet and a sena 50 today.
View Quote

Neat looking trail !
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:01:03 AM EDT
[#34]

The 1300 was like riding a dirt bike. Engine noise coming up behind the wind screen was annoying to say the least. I know it wasn't broken in yet but it was not a pleasant sound.
Exhaust note was equally irritating. The ride mode was set to "road" which was the soft setting compared to the "Dynamic" setting. It was a fairly smooth ride and despite all the racket, was a pleasant ride but more like a dirt bike to me. Also I'm spoiled on inline 4 cylinder bikes, so the lumpy feel of the 2 cylinder was very evident.

The 1250 was in my opinion a much better ride. It felt and sounded more solid. Engine noise reminded me of a diesel and the exhaust note was deeper and much more enjoyable.
The ride was smooth and the 2 cylinder lumpiness was not as pronounced. This may be more of my perception from the noise of the 1300.

So, I'll let BMW work out the bugs on the 1300 and I'm in the market for a 2023 1250 GS or GSA.
View Quote

The 1300 was "like riding a dirt bike" and that was a bad thing?

I think the biggest gripe I have with my '08 1200gs is that it's just a "bad road bike" and not a dual sport or even "adventure" bike compared to the KTM 690.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:13:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#35]
Originally Posted By smith505:

I think the biggest gripe I have with my '08 1200gs is that it's just a "bad road bike" and not a dual sport or even "adventure" bike compared to the KTM 690.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By smith505:

It this case, riding two up. I was not impressed by the 1300 , nor was my passenger.
I wanted to like it, I really did.

I will be doing 90+% of my riding on pavement. Any off road riding will not be "technical" by any means. I'll do dirt or gravel roads, etc.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Get one with the electronically controlled suspension. It eliminates any need to upgrade to aftermarket shocks. This from a guy who upgraded stock BMW shocks on 2 bikes before getting one (2013 1200GS) with the electronic shocks. The convenience of adjusting damping on the fly with the press of a button is great, i.e., find yourself on a rough section of pavement and switch to "soft". Also, adjusting preload with a button is great, although you have to do it when stopped.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SamuelHyde:

Neat looking trail !
View Quote

It had some decent ruts in spots and some debris, it was pretty much exactly what I want to ride. I got the KTM over the crf300 and klx300 because it’s lighter. I’m not going to test the bikes limits. I want to hit the road/trail less traveled and take in the sights! I’m waiting on my GPS mount to get here (USPS) then I’m going to check the valve lash and wire/install the GPS. I put the skid plate on last night so I will be done messing with the bike until my luggage gets here.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I didn’t do a 2-up ride but agree completely with your assessment. I just didn’t enjoy riding the 1300. The ride home on my 1250GSA solidified that thought.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#39]
My 2023 Scram. Having a lot of fun hitting the backroads up in the hills with it!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:13:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#40]
We were showing off other two wheelers earlier. Here is my weird niche Rivendell. All steel with lugs and hand built. It’s sort of a whole philosophy on riding.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

On a motorcycle note….what a few glorious days for riding. My big fat Harley-Davidson continues to impress me as a bike that is just awesome for riding.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
We were showing off other two wheelers earlier. Here is my weird niche Rivendell. All steel with lugs and hand built. It’s sort of a whole philosophy on riding.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_9354_jpeg-3150413.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_9352_jpeg-3150414.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_9351_jpeg-3150415.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_9353_jpeg-3150418.JPG

On a motorcycle note….what a few glorious days for riding. My big fat Harley-Davidson continues to impress me as a bike that is just awesome for riding.

View Quote

Pretty bicycle.

Concerning Harleys. I worked in a couple motorcycle shops back in younger days. Neither sold H-D. We all rode both dirt and street Jap bikes. We all hated Harleys, without ever riding one.

A few decades later, no longer working at bike shops, and my new roomie has a full dress Harley. I have a Kaw dual sport. I am shocked when he says I am free to ride the Harley anytime, keys are in it. I have him give me a quick rundown, then take it out. Make a beeline for what is supposedly its element: the freeway. Holy crap, taking it out on a ride is eye opening. My world is turned upside down. The experience is joyful, as it should be operating any good, purpose built, machine in its intended environment. Now, I'd have one if I could afford it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Anastasios:

Pretty bicycle.

Concerning Harleys. I worked in a couple motorcycle shops back in younger days. Neither sold H-D. We all rode both dirt and street Jap bikes. We all hated Harleys, without ever riding one.

A few decades later, no longer working at bike shops, and my new roomie has a full dress Harley. I have a Kaw dual sport. I am shocked when he says I am free to ride the Harley anytime, keys are in it. I have him give me a quick rundown, then take it out. Make a beeline for what is supposedly its element: the freeway. Holy crap, taking it out on a ride is eye opening. My world is turned upside down. The experience is joyful, as it should be operating any good, purpose built, machine in its intended environment. Now, I'd have one if I could afford it.
View All Quotes

Pretty bicycle.

Love stories like this.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Love stories like this.
View All Quotes

Pretty bicycle.

Love stories like this.

As do I! I sold my last Harley. It was spectacular for the 2 lane roads around my area. I just bought a KTM 500, I still have my BMW R1100rt. In 2 or 3 years I will sell the BMW (or give it to a friend, they just don’t sell around here!) buy another Road Glide and take a long tent camping trip with it. I was going to do that during the last furlough, but it didn’t happen.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#44]

As do I! I sold my last Harley. It was spectacular for the 2 lane roads around my area. I just bought a KTM 500, I still have my BMW R1100rt. In 2 or 3 years I will sell the BMW (or give it to a friend, they just don’t sell around here!) buy another Road Glide and take a long tent camping trip with it. I was going to do that during the last furlough, but it didn’t happen.
View All Quotes

Pretty bicycle.

Love stories like this.

Nice!
I saw your story in the other thread.  The one about the March Moto Madness in a few weeks.
I’ve been on the dirt since the mid-70’s and rode around town on a street legal dirt bike for a little bit.
I now have a KTM 350 XCF-W street legal w/ an additional complete Super Moto set up and rode it on The Tail Of The Dragon last year with this group.
Little did I know I had one of the most agile bikes for that ride.
And what a thrill !!!

My next bike is going to be more street friendly while maintaining agility.
Had my eye on a Tiger, then a Tenere…

THEN I sat on a KTM 390 adventure and felt how light it is while still able to hum along 70-80 no problem.
Every review raves about its off road ability.

I think between my serious off road capability 350 and the 390 I’ll have it all covered.  At almost 60 y/o I think that’ll about round out my motorcycles for what time I have left.

That could change though if I’m stoopid enough to hop on a Harley or the like…
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Nice!
I saw your story in the other thread.  The one about the March Moto Madness in a few weeks.
I’ve been on the dirt since the mid-70’s and rode around town on a street legal dirt bike for a little bit.
I now have a KTM 350 XCF-W street legal w/ an additional complete Super Moto set up and rode it on The Tail Of The Dragon last year with this group.
Little did I know I had one of the most agile bikes for that ride.
And what a thrill !!!

My next bike is going to be more street friendly while maintaining agility.
Had my eye on a Tiger, then a Tenere…

THEN I sat on a KTM 390 adventure and felt how light it is while still able to hum along 70-80 no problem.
Every review raves about its off road ability.

I think between my serious off road capability 350 and the 390 I’ll have it all covered.  At almost 60 y/o I think that’ll about round out my motorcycles for what time I have left.

That could change though if I’m stoopid enough to hop on a Harley or the like…
View Quote

I definitely have the dirt part covered. I’m still tempted by the big ADV bikes, but I’ll probably get an Indian or an HD road glide. (Need something easy to get on and off of for my 70’s and 80’s!
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 3:15:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SBRChris] [#46]
What tools do you guys carry on the bike with you? I got a new tusk tool roll but it's pretty empty.

So far I've got the t-handle with 8, 10, 12 and 13mm sockets. The combo wrenches have 12, 14, 22, 27 and a spoke wrench. I also carry a spare tube along with the patch kit. I may ditch the CO2 and carry a mini pump that plugs into the power socket.

What would you add? I feel that covers most things, but I can probably fit all this in a smaller case if I don't add anything. I need to throw a phillips head in there.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Any of y'all carry a satellite communicator when riding backcountry stuff?

I enjoy riding the dirt back roads where there is zero cell coverage, but never feel comfortable doing it by myself. Makes the wife nervous when I go, too.

Just ordered a Garmin inReach for some peace of mind
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
Any of y'all carry a satellite communicator when riding backcountry stuff?

I enjoy riding the dirt back roads where there is zero cell coverage, but never feel comfortable doing it by myself. Makes the wife nervous when I go, too.

Just ordered a Garmin inReach for some peace of mind
View Quote

I’ve got the inreach 67i (I think) it does turn by turn nav and has the sos button. I carry it with me. I can let my wife follow my ride, but I don’t, because she won’t! If I was on a multi day backcountry ride I can check in with my location
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

That’s the tool roll that came with the bike. I added the little blue thing to it (mini bead buddy or something) I have a C02 inflator and a few cartridges. I plan on buying a couple of tubes and some powder. The kit should be enough to pull a wheel and swap a tube. I can’t imagine doing much more on a trail. I’ve put together a pretty solid tool bag to keep in the basecamp. Eventually I’ll buy “better” brake, shift and clutch levers and I would take them with me. I believe the tool roll would have enough to swap any of those out.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I used to carry all that in my backpack, and it may go back in there for some rides because I don't see myself using the saddlebags all the time.
The backpack is where the dedicated knife was, so I grabbed it after the pic.

I just bought these saddlebags.  They were only $135 at RockyMountainATV, while the waterproof Giant Loop bags were around $300.
I like the Giant Loop saddlebags for the cleaner look.  These waterproof Nelson Riggs have a lot going on with all the attachment points with all their straps and buckles.
The cable ties are for keeping the tire on the wheel if you can't get it inflated.  So you could limp back to the truck.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top