Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 34
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VACaver:
Any of y'all carry a satellite communicator when riding backcountry stuff?

I enjoy riding the dirt back roads where there is zero cell coverage, but never feel comfortable doing it by myself. Makes the wife nervous when I go, too.

Just ordered a Garmin inReach for some peace of mind
View Quote

I use an Inreach Mini 2.  Works great, long battery life, sharable tracking link, and can choose a plan up to unlimited text messages if you do longer trips/still need to check on business stuff remotely.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#2]
After a couple close ankle-breaking calls last year on the BDR, I decided to switch over to soft luggage.  Really beefy construction and I think the color looks great on this bike.

I tend to pack really light, so I don't see myself using the duffel that much.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:12:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RO73] [#3]
Originally Posted By Squatch:
After a couple close ankle-breaking calls last year on the BDR, I decided to switch over to soft luggage.  Really beefy construction and I think the color looks great on this bike.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171820/IMG_3756_jpeg-3157113.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171820/IMG_3757_jpeg-3157114.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171820/IMG_3758_jpeg-3157115.JPG
View Quote

I love those bags. Mine have been through it all. They are bullet proof.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Those bags look nice. I hate putting mounting brackets on the Transalp, but it's just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Squatch:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171820/IMG_3756_jpeg-3157113.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171820/IMG_3757_jpeg-3157114.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171820/IMG_3758_jpeg-3157115.JPG
View Quote

I'm trying to decide if I want hard panniers or soft. Been looking at Lone Rider brand.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Willz:

I'm trying to decide if I want hard panniers or soft. Been looking at Lone Rider brand.

View Quote

My dealer recommended soft due to high risk of leg injuries with hard.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Can you help me understand the logic behind that thought? If I tip over on my boxer engined GS, the crash bars over the cylinder heads and the powder-coated aluminum Jesse bags hold the bike up from going full horizontal, thus creating open space where my leg is. In other words, with the hard bags and crash bars, my legs won't have the bike  resting on them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

Can you help me understand the logic behind that thought? If I tip over on my boxer engined GS, the crash bars over the cylinder heads and the powder-coated aluminum Jesse bags hold the bike up from going full horizontal, thus creating open space where my leg is. In other words, with the hard bags and crash bars, my legs won't have the bike  resting on them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It happens when you're dabbing.  You're moving over rough terrain, start losing balance, put one leg down to steady yourself, the bike keeps moving forward.  Your dabbing efforts were in vain and the bike falls on the side you're standing, trapping your foot underneath.  Broken ankle.

I had two near misses last year.  One, just got pinned under the luggage and had to have somebody pick the bike off me.  The second, same thing, but I was able to shimmy my foot out.

Less likely to happen on pavement, since you're rarely dabbing.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Visualize putting your foot down to stabilize yourself while going through a rough spot and having that hard bag crawl up your leg as you start to tip over.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I like adventure and adventure bike things.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:52:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#11]
The guys above nailed it on the dynamics of a how hard bags can hurt you.

But…I love them and used them all through Mexico and Central America for security. I had people dig through my tank bag. But I was also mostly on road albeit often not paved and sometimes barely a road. On the TAT I used soft bags which are great for taking many hits and surviving. But man I hate what a pain it is to get into them.

I do not know anyone personally that has broken a leg with hard bags. But like most I have certainly caught mine for a moment when dabbing. Some of this could be mitigated by dabbing properly which means your foot is touching down only for a moment not to right the bike, but to give you your center of gravity back. We all tend to leave our foot down too long.

I use both. But for 90% of the time it is hard bags for me. At a rally I pop them off and ride sans bags and admittedly big adv trips are rare for me. So for commuting, security, and convenience the hard bags get it done.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#12]
A set of Happy Trails Hard bags saved my life. One day I dropped my big VStrom on the Cherotola Skyway and broke 9 bones. I drove my bike 8 miles like that before the adrenaline  wore off and the shock set in. I remember the sweat running down my face as I  tried to ease my bike off the road. I took out a guard rail and flattened my passenger side pannier, I would have lost at least a leg. When I came too I was laying in the  middle of the road staring at the fall Carolna blue skies. My riding partner refused to help me upright my bike so I could get back on it. LMAO. I have drug  holes in my canyon cut boxes . Nothing some liquid  metal could not fix. I have all kinds of soft bags that fit inside and outside my Happy Trail boxes depending upon what type of riding I am doing. My neuropathy has not let me back on that bike for 3 years. Check out the fine folks at Happy Trails for a solid choice in Panniers.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

I don't think they're made anymore, but I really like the Wolfman line.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Dumped my bike today while slowly making a sharp left turn on a gravel road today.

Bent my handlebars a bit and scratched the crap out of my NEW windscreen. Dammit!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Dumped my bike today while slowly making a sharp left turn on a gravel road today.

Bent my handlebars a bit and scratched the crap out of my NEW windscreen. Dammit!!!
View Quote

Remind me of what bike?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#16]
My 2023 Scram. Having a lot of fun hitting the backroads up in the hills with it!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100647/Resized_Scram_411_jpg-3149871.JPG
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yzh-OPP96o&ab_channel=MotorcycleAdventureDirtbikeTV

@VACaver wait til you see the shit they put those Scrams through.  I'm loving mine, I'm not even to the 300mi first service yet but its a hoot.  After watching the above vid I have no doubt that I could take my Scram on a BDR.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

Remind me of what bike?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

Remind me of what bike?

My Royal Enfield Scram 411.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#18]

My Royal Enfield Scram 411.
View Quote

Ah…well in likelihood the stock bars are noodles anyway. I would replace them with some adapters and tapered tusk bars.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice thing about RE is how cheap they are to fix.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Added an old Kifaru Tailgunner to Scrambo this morning before a ride.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Nice.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Dang good looking bike ! Kinda gives off Mercedes AMG color scheme vibes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:27:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drew5337] [#24]
Thank you, the looks are probably love or hate but I've loved it since I first saw it.  I sat on that bike at the dealer last summer some time and after buying a crap project bike I went back to the dealer and said fuckit I'm getting the bike I wanted in the first place.  Got one hell of a deal too.  

It certainly doesn't go like an AMG
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Can anyone suggest some motorcycle maps/apps?
I’m waiting on a BMW Nav unit for my bike ( because it works with the bmw switch gear)  and loaded the BMW nav app to my phone.

It’s way too intrusive.

Name, address, credit card info, gender, preferred gender, geo position, record this ride, blood type, semen sample etc.

I just want to do some non-direct rides to various destinations, avoiding the super slab.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:06:26 AM EDT
[#26]
I’m waiting on a BMW Nav unit for my bike ( because it works with the bmw switch gear)  and loaded the BMW nav app to my phone.

It’s way too intrusive.

Name, address, credit card info, gender, preferred gender, geo position, record this ride, blood type, semen sample etc.

I just want to do some non-direct rides to various destinations, avoiding the super slab.

View Quote

This is what I use. The free version is plenty good enough for me.

https://www.onxmaps.com/offroad/app
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:48:01 AM EDT
[#27]

It’s way too intrusive.

View Quote

I use OnX offroad, On X hunt, Gaia GPS, and a Garmin Zumo XT depending on the situation.

Garmin Zumo XT allows you to do your initial route and then adjust the slider for more adventurous routing. The other apps you can see existing routes and you can piece trails together to get to your destiniation.

Gaia lets you create a route as the crow flies and then you click points of interest and then it will snap to and fill in the route. Very quick and easy to throw together a detailed route with accurate mileage for predicting fuel range. It also lets you follow along at different zoom levels without the screen timing out every ten minutes like OnX does for my Android.

Ram Mount Quick Grip XL with RAM ball and short arm for the cell phone holder on my bikes.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#28]
New adventure bike added…

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By boolzi:
New adventure bike added…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/445788/IMG_7716-3161296.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:11:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#30]

It’s way too intrusive.

View Quote

I have a BMW Nav V, also for it working with the 'wonderwheel'.

A lot of people will give you various web sites to make a route in, but I use BaseCamp which is free from Garmin. Once you have your Nav (VI?) make a (free) account on Garmin.com and register your device. Your BMW Nav will have free map updates for life. Also grab Garmin Express, another free tool that you use to update the maps on your GPS and you can also have it install them on your PC. Once they are on your PC, you can use them with BaseCamp to plan your routes, then push them to the GPS.

BaseCamp has a bit of a learning curve, but there is a good tutorial here. BaseCamp is a powerful tool and worth the effort to learn.

I plan routes every year, picking the exact roads I want to go on. My goal is to avoid highways and populated areas as much as I can. If I need to leapfrog past a city, I'll throw in a little highway to do that, but mostly I want to ride backroads that have very little traffic. For multi-day rides, I make a separate route for each day.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VACaver] [#31]

Now you need to add a rear rack with a Harbor Freight case:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#32]

A lot of people will give you various web sites to make a route in, but I use BaseCamp which is free from Garmin. Once you have your Nav (VI?) make a (free) account on Garmin.com and register your device. Your BMW Nav will have free map updates for life. Also grab Garmin Express, another free tool that you use to update the maps on your GPS and you can also have it install them on your PC. Once they are on your PC, you can use them with BaseCamp to plan your routes, then push them to the GPS.

BaseCamp has a bit of a learning curve, but there is a good tutorial here. BaseCamp is a powerful tool and worth the effort to learn.

I plan routes every year, picking the exact roads I want to go on. My goal is to avoid highways and populated areas as much as I can. If I need to leapfrog past a city, I'll throw in a little highway to do that, but mostly I want to ride backroads that have very little traffic. For multi-day rides, I make a separate route for each day.
View All Quotes

It’s way too intrusive.

That’s exactly what I want.
After reading more on the Nav VI I’m having second thoughts, thinking maybe I should have gone with the Garmin XT2.
Seems the only plus to the Nav VI is the wonder wheel integration.

Still researching.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#33]
That’s exactly what I want.
After reading more on the Nav VI I’m having second thoughts, thinking maybe I should have gone with the Garmin XT2.
Seems the only plus to the Nav VI is the wonder wheel integration.

Still researching.
View Quote

Having been following the Nav VI issues for quite a while now, there is a certain amount of chatter indicating a hardware update that supposedly fixes the issue on new ones. Garmin has been very good about replacing any units that have problems. I have also read of someone who got fed up with the Nav VI and Garmin gave him an XT2 (I think it was the 2) instead, so I think things will turn out ok for you.  The wonderwheel integration is great. I zoom in and out so much more than I realized I would. I don't use much of the data features, but they're nice to have. I usually (on backroads) like to ride with the scale set to .2 miles and then zoom out if I want to see where an upcoming side road goes or am on the highway. I don't want to give up the wonderwheel integration, ever, after having lived with it for quite a few years. If my Nav V dies, I will try to find another one or a VI.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#34]

It’s way too intrusive.

View Quote

This is a good resource for linking together gravel roads to form a route.

https://www.gravelmap.com
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#35]
I have the Zumo XT and I have a Nav V. So a tad older version on both.

Between the two they both work great. But if I had a way to put the wonder wheel on all my bikes I certainly would. It is so handy.

I have also found I don’t use most features so I don’t worry about the majority of it. I route my phone and music through the Zumo so I can see who is texting/calling and it is easier for me to search music as well.

It’s no secret I have a love hate with tech. I think a simple bike can be a blessing. But damn if these devices aren’t extremely useful.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#36]
I've been using DMD for a little while.  So far I've only used it with downloaded tracks I created in Google Maps, but apparently it has the ability to use addresses and function like a regular GPS unit.
https://www.drivemodedashboard.com/
I bought a dedicated phone for it (no SIM card), and have it mounted on a Quad Lock.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#37]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100647/Scram_Box_jpg-3161777.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100647/Scram_Box_jpg-3161777.JPG

I ordered a rear rack from ebay today

Yesterday I bungee'd a milk crate to the back for a grocery run.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone in the SW VA, Western NC, WV area looking to get a bike, this would be a good thing to check out. Great dealership with a great staff!

Mods...delete if not allowed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Hmmm…not what I wanted to see as I ran out to look at the tread on my tires at work today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#40]
That's for better traction on ice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I  received my BMW VI Navagator and eagerly opened it.
Paired it with my iPhone 12 max Pro with the BMW app, which was already paired to the R 1250 GSA.
BMW app kept telling me to log in again, then said my password was no longer valid must be changed due to a security change in Jan.
So I did this.
Again, and again.
Finally it let me plot a route.
The map display is primitive, and limited. Then the Nav gave me a critical error red banner and said unit will lock in 18 seconds counting down.
So I shut it off, reset it to factory settings and started over.
I have reset my BWM id password 8 times for this bullshit.
It’s going back. Not worth $800 bucks.
I’ll use my iPhone and Waze and or some other nav app.
Fuck that BMW shit.

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Paired it with my iPhone 12 max Pro with the BMW app, which was already paired to the R 1250 GSA.
BMW app kept telling me to log in again, then said my password was no longer valid must be changed due to a security change in Jan.
So I did this.
Again, and again.
The map display is primitive, and limited. Then the Nav gave me a critical error red banner and said unit will lock in 18 seconds counting down.
Fuck that BMW shit.

View Quote

Sucks to hear that with it being brand new.

Garmin Zumo XT is 100.00 dollars off right now on Amazon. You just need the bike mount to match up to the garmin motorcycle mount.

I like mine and it is truly daylight bright without being to complex to get started.  The Birdseye satellite maps are clutch when terrain associating by the downloaded high Def satellite maps in remote places.

Amazon Product
  • 5.5\u201d ultrabright, glove-friendly display with crisp HD resolution in landscape or portrait mode; rain-resistant and built rugged (passed the military standard 810 drop test).Control Method:Touch.Special Feature:Ultrabright Display; Rugged Build; Lasting Power; Birdseye Satellite Imagery; Preloaded On-road Maps.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Amazon Product
  • If you are upgrading your Garmin NAV V/VI to a Garmin Zumo XT or XT2 GPS this locking adapter will solve your problem and allow you to mount and lock the Zumo XT or XT2 in the same place as your BMW Garmin NAV V/VI.

Attachment Attached File

This is supposed to be the type of 3DAM adapter for bmw bikes.   Never heard of this brand but maybe that would work for your bike.  Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:20:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#44]
Originally Posted By SamuelHyde:

Garmin Zumo XT is 100.00 dollars off right now on Amazon. You just need the bike mount to match up to the garmin motorcycle mount.

I like mine and it is truly daylight bright without being to complex to get started.  The Birdseye satellite maps are clutch when terrain associating by the downloaded high Def satellite maps in remote places.

www.amazon.com/dp/B08561CSRG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335979/1000024981_jpg-3166646.JPG
View All Quotes
So I did this.
Again, and again.
Fuck that BMW shit.

www.amazon.com/dp/B08561CSRG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335979/1000024981_jpg-3166646.JPG

Thanks that’s good to know.
I did a factory reset, made sure it was charged and all updates complete, paired with my phone which was paired with the bike.
Then it says, app log in required, so I log in with my BMW id, says my password is no longer valid and I must change my password.
It did this 8 times.
For $800 the BMW Nav is total trash.

I’ll use my iPhone or get a XT2 for hundreds less.

Also the sticker from the store that shipped it said $1250
No fucking way.

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#45]
www.amazon.com/dp/B0C31B42NF
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335979/1000024982_jpg-3166650.JPG

This is supposed to be the type of 3DAM adapter for bmw bikes.   Never heard of this brand but maybe that would work for your bike.  Hope that helps!
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Thank you
View Quote

You are very welcome
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#47]
I did a factory reset, made sure it was charged and all updates complete, paired with my phone which was paired with the bike.
Then it says, app log in required, so I log in with my BMW id, says my password is no longer valid and I must change my password.
It did this 8 times.

No fucking way.
View Quote

@Willz  I have no idea what value the BMW app adds or is supposed to add. It seems like the app is causing a problem. Did you try to use the GPS without the phone app? You should try that. I see no reason to involve a phone app with use of the GPS.

I have used my Nav V since October of 2013 without incident. No phone app involved. I pair the app to my Sena headset (it reconnects automatically now) and use BaseCamp on my computer to make routes that I push to the Nav via USB cable. This works flawlessly and still works today.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#48]
New Heed bars from Poland arrived yesterday, just in time for the MMM trip. Factory bash plate still, for now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Supervisor doing supervisory things during the install.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#49]

@Willz  I have no idea what value the BMW app adds or is supposed to add. It seems like the app is causing a problem. Did you try to use the GPS without the phone app? You should try that. I see no reason to involve a phone app with use of the GPS.

I have used my Nav V since October of 2013 without incident. No phone app involved. I pair the app to my Sena headset (it reconnects automatically now) and use BaseCamp on my computer to make routes that I push to the Nav via USB cable. This works flawlessly and still works today.
View All Quotes
It did this 8 times.

No fucking way.

Yes I took the phone out of the equation.
Nav told me to log in with my BMW ID,  then told me my password was no longer valid and to change it which I did, again.
Then it gave me the same change my password page then a red banner saying “critical error” and a countdown timer saying the unit would lock in 18 seconds.
It’s going back.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes I took the phone out of the equation.
Nav told me to log in with my BMW ID,  then told me my password was no longer valid and to change it which I did, again.
Then it gave me the same change my password page then a red banner saying “critical error” and a countdown timer saying the unit would lock in 18 seconds.
It’s going back.
View Quote

WTF does the Nav want you logged into? I don't understand. My Nav connects to satellites and shows my position on the map; there is no logging into anything.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top