BCM
User Panel

Page / 34
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Emoto:

WTF does the Nav want you logged into? I don't understand. My Nav connects to satellites and shows my position on the map; there is no logging into anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Willz:
Yes I took the phone out of the equation.
Nav told me to log in with my BMW ID,  then told me my password was no longer valid and to change it which I did, again.
Then it gave me the same change my password page then a red banner saying “critical error” and a countdown timer saying the unit would lock in 18 seconds.
It’s going back.

WTF does the Nav want you logged into? I don't understand. My Nav connects to satellites and shows my position on the map; there is no logging into anything.

The nav unit asked for my BMW user ID/profile when I attempted to pair it to the bike.

No clue, and the critical error made me just say fuck it.
I have the adapter for my phone coming and it claims to work with the wonder wheel.
Btw it’s a 2024 R1250GSA if that matters
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The nav unit asked for my BMW user ID/profile when I attempted to pair it to the bike.

I have the adapter for my phone coming and it claims to work with the wonder wheel.
View Quote

Interesting. I do not pair my GPS to the bike (nor do I think that is an option as the bike itself does not have BT that I know of). I only pair the GPS to my helmet-mounted Sena. I simply place the GPS into the cradle and from that cradle the GPS gets power and connection to the bike systems.

I'm still on a 2013 R1200GS (1st year of water cooled GS) so do not know the electronics of the new ones.

What happens if you do not try pairing the GPS to the bike and simply put it into its mount?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:14:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Interesting. I do not pair my GPS to the bike (nor do I think that is an option as the bike itself does not have BT that I know of). I only pair the GPS to my helmet-mounted Sena. I simply place the GPS into the cradle and from that cradle the GPS gets power and connection to the bike systems.

I'm still on a 2013 R1200GS (1st year of water cooled GS) so do not know the electronics of the new ones.

What happens if you do not try pairing the GPS to the bike and simply put it into its mount?

View All Quotes

Got the red "critical error " banner with phone out of the loop and unit not paired to the bike, so the unit is bad.

Going to try the Iphone thing, but as it is my primary source of communication I worry road vibs may kill it if not in a mount than absorbs shock.

May go the XT2 route.

Thanks for the ADVRider link @Emoto

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:17:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SamuelHyde] [#5]
Got some riding in around Roswell and Ruidosa, NM.  Crazy windy up here this weekend.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:47:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: corruptor] [#6]
So, is a 2nd set of wheels (complete with sprockets and discs) a dumb idea for a dual sport?  I'd like a set of mostly street oriented tires for commuting and running around locally, and then be able to change out to something dirt oriented for weekend trail rides.  

Is it worth the expense, or should I just buy a decent tire changing setup for a similar investment?  I'm in a condo and don't really have space for a permanent setup, but I'm pretty sure I could talk my way into some shop / warehouse space at my office.

Tube tires if it matters, and I trailer my bike to and from the off-road stuff.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#7]
So a lot of guys bash me for thinking round the world and remote adv bikes should be simple and easily fixed with a piece of tape, a zip tie, or maybe some wire.

So here is the preeminent ADV bike the BMW GSA. Does this look like a bike you want to be in the salt flats of Bolivia?

Attachment Attached File

P.S. high test only please or you will destroy the engine.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By corruptor:
So, is a 2nd set of wheels (complete with sprockets and discs) a dumb idea for a dual sport?  I'd like a set of mostly street oriented tires for commuting and running around locally, and then be able to change out to something dirt oriented for weekend trail rides.  

Is it worth the expense, or should I just buy a decent tire changing setup for a similar investment?  I'm in a condo and don't really have space for a permanent setup, but I'm pretty sure I could talk my way into some shop / warehouse space at my office.

View Quote

I would love to have two sets of wheels for my DR and GSA. But, I am cheap.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#9]
When y'gotta go... Y'gotta go.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Girlieman:

https://i.imgur.com/av2LOr8.jpg
View Quote

FAKE! Username suggests you should be squatting…
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

I did that with both dual sports.

The first one I used the same size wheels and tires.  The more street-friendly setup worked just fine for off-road, but had a smaller sprocket and shorter chain.  D.O.T. tires of course w/aggressive rubber.  Kenda something.

The second and current... well you saw the Super Moto setup I had going on last year.  Not cool for off-road, but the safest setup for the street.

I"m ready this trip with a smaller off-road rear sprocket so it'll run smoother up to 65mph.  I'll change out the Motoz Tractionators after this trip.  I've had them on this bike since 2019.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Picking that beast up must have been fun.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:22:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: corruptor] [#13]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
View All Quotes

A local guy is parting out his bike.  Haven't entered into negotiations yet, but if he'll take $800ish for the loaded pair I'll probably buy.  

Originally Posted By tree-hugger:
The first one I used the same size wheels and tires.  The more street-friendly setup worked just fine for off-road, but had a smaller sprocket and shorter chain.  D.O.T. tires of course w/aggressive rubber.  Kenda something.
The second and current... well you saw the Super Moto setup I had going on last year.  Not cool for off-road, but the safest setup for the street.
I"m ready this trip with a smaller off-road rear sprocket so it'll run smoother up to 65mph.  I'll change out the Motoz Tractionators after this trip.  I've had them on this bike since 2019.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/217473/Dirt_adv_setup_2_png-3174963.JPG

Do you change out the front sprocket as well?
These will be the same size wheels.  I'd love a set of SM wheels for the street, but it's not a common bike and I doubt I'll find any reasonable deals on them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:34:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: motoguy] [#14]

View Quote

When I was in SoCal I used my DRZ400 for desert dirt work as well as canyon strafing.  I had 2 sets of wheels/tires.  One set had street biased tires (Trail Wings, in my case) and the 2nd set had dirt tires mounted.  The rear sprockets were different sizes but allowed me to use the same front sprocket and chain.  The rear sprocket sizes were different enough to allow freeway speeds on the road tires and steep enough 1st gear to use on trails in the desert.  I used the S (dual sport) wheels for both uses, so no need to swap between SM brake caliper brackets and speedo stayed relatively accurate for both.

It was a pretty handy setup.  Minimal PITA to accomplish both tasks with one bike.  However I eventually decided to pick up a KTM Duke II for dedicated street motard and keep the DRZ in dirt mode.  I had the ability and it was more fun that way.

Changing tires for each use?  FML.  No way I'd do that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Too much information.
Bike? Area where you live? Types of riding you are going to do?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By VACaver:

View Quote

Although shockingly late to the party what isn't shocking is that it is indeed not fun to pick up a F800GSA.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#18]

A local guy is parting out his bike.  Haven't entered into negotiations yet, but if he'll take $800ish for the loaded pair I'll probably buy.  

These will be the same size wheels.  I'd love a set of SM wheels for the street, but it's not a common bike and I doubt I'll find any reasonable deals on them.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/217473/Dirt_adv_setup_2_png-3174963.JPG

Sorry.  Just saw this.
Same front sprocket
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By KA3B:

Too much information.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KA3B:

Too much information.

I live and work in the suburbs of Atlanta.  There's not much in the immediate area for off-road fun, so that's why I haul it out to the mountains.  So far it's just been fire roads and OHV parks, but I'm looking to get into harder trails and enduro type rides this year.

Riding on pavement is going to eat my current set of tires.  I'd rather not replace them every 1.5k miles.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I live and work in the suburbs of Atlanta.  There's not much in the immediate area for off-road fun, so that's why I haul it out to the mountains.  So far it's just been fire roads and OHV parks, but I'm looking to get into harder trails and enduro type rides this year.
Riding on pavement is going to eat my current set of tires.  I'd rather not replace them every 1.5k miles.
View Quote

I get what you are saying.
I used to superslab the KLR650 two hours to get where everyone was riding for dualsport.
After a while I said fuck the KRL pig and bought a KTM 500 for "dualsporting".
I have a motorcycle for the superslab and it never goes off road,
It also avoided the need for two sets of rims and tires.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:47:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#21]
New glove day. The Klim Baja S4. I had these before but they were a tad too small. So I am trying again in a better fit.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: the pic makes them look like a lighter grey than they are. They are really dark. I wanted the light grey ones but they were out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Well boys, you got a new member of the club.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RarestRX:

Well boys, you got a new member of the club.

https://i.imgur.com/yDHcKT8.jpg

View Quote

You creamed all over it?!?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:04:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RarestRX] [#24]

View Quote

Listen, you get a new bike, you get excited...it happens.

I got it a week ago, already threw some AX41 50/50s on it, got a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket in route, along with some Bumot pannier racks:

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:01:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tree-hugger] [#25]

View All Quotes

That's pretty impressive.

You must be hung like a horse!

ETA:  Looking forward to hearing how you like it.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#26]

That's pretty impressive.

You must be hung like a horse!

ETA:  Looking forward to hearing how you like it.  
View Quote

I'll try and take a bunch of pics on my first dirt outing.

Luckily there are a ton of good trails out here and I'm looking forward to exploring them.

I did pick the bike up about 3 hours away, it was a fun ride back through some twisties.

I'm owned a Triumph Speed Triple, so I am familiar and enamored with the triple power plant.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#27]

I got it a week ago, already threw some AX41 50/50s on it, got a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket in route, along with some Bumot pannier racks:

https://i.imgur.com/os1NYzW.jpg
View Quote

love that bike!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By scrambler28:

love that bike!
View Quote

Thanks!  Wait until I get it cleaned up.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#29]
The Tiger is an amazing bike. The triple is such a sweet engine. Lord knows I love my BMW but I had a Tiger before and to be honest there is no reason to have any ADV bike bigger. Fantastic machine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:05:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#30]
Double
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#31]
The Tiger is an amazing bike. The triple is such a sweet engine. Lord knows I love my BMW but I had a Tiger before and to be honest there is no reason to have any ADV bike bigger. Fantastic machine.
View Quote

Yeah, I was looking at the Tiger 1200 XC, but the extra weight just wasn't worth it, and the extra $3K.

I got a pretty smoking deal on this bike, 2014 Tiger 800 XC (21" front hoop, nicer suspension), 17K miles.

Bike is a little lazy down low, but the 15T sprocket should help that.

The triple rips up past 5,000 RPM, I'm scared what I'm gonna be doing on a long flat dirt road.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:10:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RarestRX] [#32]
Man, I love me some Facebook Marketplace, I mean Offer Up:

Alpinestars Tech 7s.  

$100

Oh, and guess which one is the before and which one is after.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Thanks!  Wait until I get it cleaned up.

View Quote

I'm the poors so I settled for a TS660.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:00:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SamuelHyde] [#34]

https://i.imgur.com/aXbAZVs.jpg

Alpinestars Tech 7s.  

$100

View Quote

Gangster deal !  I thought I did good getting mine for 220 ish on Amazon closeout.  Super comfortable right out of the box.

Mine get super squeaky after big rains so I have to spray a little wd40 on the buckle straps and rub areas.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:41:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RarestRX] [#35]
Originally Posted By SamuelHyde:

Gangster deal !  I thought I did good getting mine for 220 ish on Amazon closeout.  Super comfortable right out of the box.

Mine get super squeaky after big rains so I have to spray a little wd40 on the buckle straps and rub areas.
View Quote

I kind of went on a boot shopping spree, I'll post up on the other ones (Gaerne) when I get back in town.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#36]

I kind of went on a boot shopping spree, I'll post up on the other ones (Gaerne) when I get back in town.

https://static.insales-cdn.com/images/products/1/1111/278021207/f15ffa67e3000c8f41589111bc1ffe65.jpg

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

https://static.insales-cdn.com/images/products/1/1111/278021207/f15ffa67e3000c8f41589111bc1ffe65.jpg

Click To View Spoiler

Teach me the ways wise one!

I had looked at the g12's I believe but got lucky with the t7's.  How did you find the Gaerne boots so cheap?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Teach me the ways wise one!

I had looked at the g12's I believe but got lucky with the t7's.  How did you find the Gaerne boots so cheap?
View Quote

You just got to grind on FB marketplace, Offer Up, and Craigslist.

The crazy thing about the Gaerne GX-1s, is the ad was kinda old.

I said I was interested, the city I was in, and if he still had it.

He still had them.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Another new ADV rider in Arizona!! Picked up this 2017 KTM 1090 R, and so far I love it. Did a 261 mile loop last weekend, with a ton of dirt miles. Bike is amazing, and I wish I would've bought one years ago. Anyways, 11K miles, and just about every option and add-on you can imagine. Already has a near new set of MotoZ Tractionator Desert HT tires on it, which are amazing.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And I still have this one, as well. 2022 Gas Gas EX350F.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

Hit up a few backroads for the motorcycle scavenger thread but got beat by an hour.

Figured I hit up the twisties out towards Sitting Bull Falls while in the neighborhood.  Beautiful day to ride !
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By boolzi:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By boolzi:

Lol... not me.
Buddy and his f800GSa
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

Not too difficult...
'Had plenty of practice as it fell over 5 or 6 time during that trip...Lol.

'We lowered the bike just prior to leaving on a 10000km trip, but "forgot" we would have to modify/shorten the sidestand.
With no time to do so... Buddy decided "fuck it, it'll be fine"... lol
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I have been looking into renting a bike in Ireland in October. But the truth is it is just very expensive. $2k vs $730 for a car. That’s a pretty big chunk of change difference.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:15:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boolzi] [#43]

https://i.imgur.com/aXbAZVs.jpg

Alpinestars Tech 7s.  

$100

View Quote

I’m running the same boot, same color. Just bought them at rocky mt atv and they let me have them at $230. The tech 7’s are on sale plus they price matched another store. I live near the Winchester store and go in. Pretty cool having a store with literally everything you want in stock. I had ktm tech 7’s that were orange but kinda started looking orange cream-ish. Gave them to my kid.

But dude, why would you wear someone else’s boots. Gross.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:10:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#44]
Bought a pair of Sidi Adventure 2 boots, based on my previous Sidi boots for street riding which I found to be extremely comfortable, I assumed the Adventures would be as well.

They feel good on the foot and leg but are so stiff, like ski boot stiff, I cannot flex my ankle to shift at all,  and I cannot feel the shifter.

I have to move my entire leg to shift.

I'm hoping they will break-in.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Not an ADV bike but my distillery manager/ distiller just got his first bike. Today was his first day riding it in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Not an ADV bike but my distillery manager/ distiller just got his first bike. Today was his first day riding it in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_9725_jpeg-3203196.JPG
View Quote

Looks like a cool bike!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#47]
All set for a 3 day camp and ride in WV.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:39:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Bought a pair of Sidi Adventure 2 boots, based on my previous Sidi boots for street riding which I found to be extremely comfortable, I assumed the Adventures would be as well.

They feel good on the foot and leg but are so stiff, like ski boot stiff, I cannot flex my ankle to shift at all,  and I cannot feel the shifter.

I have to move my entire leg to shift.

I'm hoping they will break-in.

View Quote

They will. I'm breaking in a pair of Gaerne MX boots. Buckle them up tight and do forward flex sessions in the house.
Page / 34
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top