BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bunn19:
Marshall amps have dropped in price significantly in the last few days due to their US distributor being eliminated and them selling direct to retailers or something of that sort. I need another one like I need a hole in my head but it's temping with how much some models are currently being discounted.
View Quote
Interesting.

I have a Marshall Origin that currently costs a couple hundred more than I paid (50 watt head and 2x12 from 2021; went up 200 each after I purchased)

It would be nice to see them cheaper. They're good pedal pushers and classic sounding amps. I used to recommend them for a budget tube rig.

I would also like to see Orange come down in price. I want a Rockerverb, but can't justify the cost when I have the CR120H that still sounds killer
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:39:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bmftoolco] [#2]
I just picked up a jtm 2-12 for 55% off. Glad I waited a bit. I still want the head to match but I am willing to wait a bit. The jtm studio head is about $500 cheaper than a year or so ago.

Crazy times. Almost like we should be worried about something else. Sorry edit for emoji.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
If you haven't played a guitar in even an eighth that long you need to sell it to someone who will play it.  They aren't Pokeman cards they are instruments.  If you ever doubt that remember there are Stradavari violins being played every hour of every day.
View Quote

This right here.  They are meant to be played, that's how they're enjoyed.

I had a near acquisition, saw an ad on Craigslist for guitars for sale, lead pic was a mandolin.  2nd pic was an early 60s ES 335 tdc, no prices listed.  Father passed and she was selling local to me.  I hit her up for better pictures and  after getting them I was able to figure out it's condition and what it might be worth.  In need of work to restore and I'm a player not a collector but told her it was worth a good amount and sent her some links to similar.  Unfortunately her dad hadn't played it in years, just kept it in a case under his bed.  With regular care it could have been worth 5x what she probably got for it.

If it's not being played, put in the hands of someone who will.  We need more good music!
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Ended up really bonding with the Taylor. It sounds magically delicious.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Gear is cool, but are we all practicing? Is your gear preventing you from practicing?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
Gear is cool, but are we all practicing? Is your gear preventing you from practicing?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
View Quote

not at all.

I flip flop between my Larrivee and Breedlove guitars and find one speaks to me more depending on what I'm practicing.

They're both great guitars, though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it's funny being told if one isn't playing a guitar regularly sell it on to someone who will.  This on a board of gun collectors and hoarders.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jimmybcool:
I think it's funny being told if one isn't playing a guitar regularly sell it on to someone who will.  This on a board of gun collectors and hoarders.  

View Quote

When the guy in front of you goes down, take his guitar and keep on playing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:

I am no longer a guitarist.
I am now a collector who also knows how to play

How many guitars do I need?
How many amps do I need?
How many pedals do I need?

Technically, at least one of each
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By macro:

How many amps do I need?

View Quote

Technically if you are a collector who also plays I submit you need a LOT more than that.  Minimum list includes:

One acoustic - ala Martin D or Gibson Slope or equal
One acoustic amp and mic
One stratacaster (Fender or high end alternative)
One telecaster
One Les Paul
One Fender tube amp (Deluxe/Pro reverb)
One Marshal amp (or equal)

And that's the bare minimum.  A real collector has to have at least 10 guitars.  So.....

I'm in.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Technically if you are a collector who also plays I submit you need a LOT more than that.  Minimum list includes:

One acoustic amp and mic
One telecaster
One Les Paul

And that's the bare minimum.  A real collector has to have at least 10 guitars.  So.....

I'm in.  
View Quote

some of us have more modern tastes...

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
Fractal Audio FM-9
Jackson Rhodes 24
Jackson Soloist (2008 NAMM)
Hamer Standard (US)
(2) Brian Bowes Custom 26.1 inch scale
(2) OD Custom 27" multiscale
(1) OD Custom 28" mulitscale

One of the OD's
Attachment Attached File

Hardcore metalhead:
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#13]

One acoustic amp and mic
One telecaster
One Les Paul

I'm in.  
View All Quotes

How many amps do I need?

One acoustic amp and mic
One telecaster
One Les Paul

I'm in.  

I only have 8 and decided long ago I don't want a guitar collection so it seems like I can buy one more!!! and still not have a collection
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:39:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#14]
quiz -

Who modded and recorded with it?

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#16]

One acoustic amp and mic
One telecaster
One Les Paul

I'm in.  
View All Quotes

How many amps do I need?

One acoustic amp and mic
One telecaster
One Les Paul

I'm in.  

Or you are forgoing home building projects to fund guitars.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Shirley not JJ Cale.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By thejokker:

some of us have more modern tastes...

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
Fractal Audio FM-9
Jackson Rhodes 24
Jackson Soloist (2008 NAMM)
Hamer Standard (US)
(2) Brian Bowes Custom 26.1 inch scale
(2) OD Custom 27" multiscale
(1) OD Custom 28" mulitscale

One of the OD's
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26383/od_venus_jpg-3178906.JPG

Hardcore metalhead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V_hCqO6UQs
View Quote

I have no idea who OD is (old fogie here) but I like that.  Sweet.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Mach:

I only have 8 and decided long ago I don't want a guitar collection so it seems like I can buy one more!!! and still not have a collection
View Quote

OK you sneak in under the border.  Whew.  I lost that battle years ago and even after selling some I knew I didn't want I am still well over 10.  it got worse when I decided I'd like to play bass as well.  There goes two more.  At least I didn't feel the need to go all in on custom made Ron Thorn guitars for the bass's.  (or is it bassi?)
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BTccw:

Or you are forgoing home building projects to fund guitars.
View Quote

Well I actually think I might be even on costs to my collecting hobby.  The ones I kept are all Ron Thorn custom made before he was a principal master builder at Fenders custom shop.  Maybe not.  But between that and the NFA I am clearly break even.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Funny enough I have the same attitude towards guns.  I've got a few fighting rifles and pistols, and then a few analogues for training and that is it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Funny enough I have the same attitude towards guns.  I've got a few fighting rifles and pistols, and then a few analogues for training and that is it.
View Quote

Kudos to not getting caught up in the appreciation of owning fine workmanship just because.  They are tools for you.  For many of us they are also something more.  My guitars from Ron Thorn and some of my acoustics (which I do actually play but I admit one would be enough for that) are works of art to my eye.  Guns have a subtle appeal that I can't explain and I admit I need far less than I own.  Especially as a 70 year old semi-cripple who will not participate in any future wars or revolutions.  

Here are some of my guitars to show why I had to have them and happy to still own them.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:04:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#23]

Kudos to not getting caught up in the appreciation of owning fine workmanship just because.  They are tools for you.  For many of us they are also something more.  My guitars from Ron Thorn and some of my acoustics (which I do actually play but I admit one would be enough for that) are works of art to my eye.  Guns have a subtle appeal that I can't explain and I admit I need far less than I own.  Especially as a 70 year old semi-cripple who will not participate in any future wars or revolutions.  

Here are some of my guitars to show why I had to have them and happy to still own them.

https://i.imgur.com/Fkhnbke.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XUeIVXF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TkTgA0I.png
https://i.imgur.com/ny6t6uM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VmACu4e.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Z7ut4IY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BiC7zJf.jpg
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/Fkhnbke.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XUeIVXF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TkTgA0I.png
https://i.imgur.com/ny6t6uM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VmACu4e.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Z7ut4IY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BiC7zJf.jpg

The back and forth on collecting is entertaining, but I do take issue with the idea that a guitar stored in its case in appropriate conditions as far as temperature and humidity is at any sort of risk. Playing them is not necessary to maintain their condition.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#24]

I don't know but I lol'd at the turnbuckles.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By callmestick:

View All Quotes

I guess the mystery is solved as the links say JJ Cale in your quote.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Effective engineering, eh?  

Had a classic tone

good songwriter who made plenty of mailbox money

J.J Cale / Call Me The Breeze

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's one for ya.

Rumor has it that Muddy played this one before he left the Delta.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I think I want a short scale bass, my salvation depends upon it......
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Bmftoolco:
I just picked up a jtm 2-12 for 55% off. Glad I waited a bit. I still want the head to match but I am willing to wait a bit. The jtm studio head is about $500 cheaper than a year or so ago.

Crazy times. Almost like we should be worried about something else. Sorry edit for emoji.

View Quote

Marshall dropped all of their prices in the US recently, but they're still more expensive than in Europe.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#30]
The Dallas International Guitar Festival is May 3-5 at Market Hall.
Are these like big gun shows or is it a different vibe?
Would there be any interest in a mid-60s Custom Kraft single pickup guitar there?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#31]

I have a modern resonator that I am trying to fix. It needs a neck reset but it is glued on and I am having a bitch of a time ungluing it. The action is extremely high, would not even call it action anymore, at the bottom of the fret board it's about 1.5 inches. So it is not playable without a neck reset and maybe some bracing.

I got it for free, but I am trying to destroy it assuming it is even fixable. It's a $300-$400 guitar in perfect shape so certainly not worth paying for a pro to reset the neck.

I have tried steam and more steam, and a thin tool to break the glue joint but have only gotten so far, a long way to go.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:29:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRShooter] [#32]
Wow, I haven't seen Marshalls priced that low in 15 years.  I've had a couple JCM800s in the past.  Sold them, as they just aren't home friendly with the volume.  They sound great though.  Makes we want another.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#33]

I have a modern resonator that I am trying to fix. It needs a neck reset but it is glued on and I am having a bitch of a time ungluing it. The action is extremely high, would not even call it action anymore, at the bottom of the fret board it's about 1.5 inches. So it is not playable without a neck reset and maybe some bracing.

I got it for free, but I am trying to destroy it assuming it is even fixable. It's a $300-$400 guitar in perfect shape so certainly not worth paying for a pro to reset the neck.

I have tried steam and more steam, and a thin tool to break the glue joint but have only gotten so far, a long way to go.
View Quote

cool

Is the nut set high for bottleneck?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:10:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#35]
Originally Posted By doc540:

cool

View All Quotes

cool

yes. nut is very high.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Wow.  6 string bass?  Hell I'm still figuring out 4 string.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#37]

yes. nut is very high.
View Quote

it's set up to be played with a bar or slide and not for chording.

here ya go

"OPEN D" TUNING FOR THE DOBRO - RESOPHONIC GUITAR - SLIDE GUITAR - www.LessonsWithTroy.com

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:03:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#38]

Wow.  6 string bass?  Hell I'm still figuring out 4 string.  
View Quote

Alembic built this 8 string "Ocean Blue" for my friend, Trip Wamsley.

He rips it

Trip Wamsley - Huevos Con Dios excerpt

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#39]

here ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O92pa0vUqu4

View All Quotes

yes. nut is very high.

here ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O92pa0vUqu4

Well the action is about 1 inch at the 12th fret, the neck tilt needs a neck reset and the truss rod is in 2 pieces. half of in in the neck and the other half not in the neck.

But i had not considered I could just leave it this way and play it with a slide, instead of doing a neck reset and taking off the fret board and replacing the truss rod.

I got this guitar for free because it "needed work", but I really don't feel like spending the time, so I think I will put it back together and see if it plays with a slide like that. I was contemplating it being a wall hanger anyway.

i really don't feel like fixing it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Well the action is about 1 inch at the 12th fret, the neck tilt needs a neck reset and the truss rod is in 2 pieces. half of in in the neck and the other half not in the neck.

But i had not considered I could just leave it this way and play it with a slide, instead of doing a neck reset and taking off the fret board and replacing the truss rod.

I got this guitar for free because it "needed work", but I really don't feel like spending the time, so I think I will put it back together and see if it plays with a slide like that. I was contemplating it being a wall hanger anyway.

i really don't feel like fixing it anymore.
View Quote

That's the Delta Solution right there
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#41]

He rips it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6cDv_Cwgd0

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/alembic_1-3185091.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#42]
So funny enough it looks like I need to mill the inside again to get the anodizing off because they must have used the case to connect a few of the grounds or something in this design.  This works in my other enclosure but not after being anodized.  I wish it wouldn't chip when I post-engrave.  Much harder to see in person but still...

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#43]
So funny enough it looks like I need to mill the inside again to get the anodizing off because they must have used the case to connect a few of the grounds or something in this design.  This works in my other enclosure but not after being anodized.  I wish it wouldn't chip when I post-engrave.  Much harder to see in person but still...

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/a/AVvXsEgikOaXxw7wAHVs8TCoZAfJA9LTPJW_3TrFbCrg55378wZRUMoJae_rckIHrLhX8nSj8bWx3eGSrgWMaNwukUZzQJb81H3r_B-kEHXqQnmXIAr4mCrozs-bqqS0S0V9EgWp-cwtbGZekd634NW0_KR9q_DtOd0DsetG9dumgw_B5ld7cgtbACts0qg-hg4
View Quote
A lot of folks don't bother grounding the enclosure, and it shouldn't be necessary for it to work. It is good practice though.

Is there a busted connection, or maybe something else shorting out?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Liaztraht:
A lot of folks don't bother grounding the enclosure, and it shouldn't be necessary for it to work. It is good practice though.

View Quote

I just have to dig through the schematic and test.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Going by the name, it's the BYOC one right? Nothing looks fishy in the schem.

I was looking at it anyway to get (copy) ideas for a boost I'm working on

So far my favorite has been slapping a buffer in front of an LPB-1, but I'm looking to make something more versatile.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Oh thanks, I have never played bass but have been thinking it would be something new and I would really be able to get into it. This helps out the guitar savings account a lot
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#47]

He rips it

View Quote

How does one reinforce a neck like that? Graphite? Twin truss rods? Both?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By splitbolt:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By splitbolt:

He rips it

I would assume similar to how the bigger guys like Jackson do it. My Soloist has graphite reinforcement.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#49]

So far my favorite has been slapping a buffer in front of an LPB-1, but I'm looking to make something more versatile.
View Quote

Yeah the BYOC.  I just needed to add a "solo" button to my rig since I ended up as the soloist in the band now and we have a few short features and solos that need to punch out of the mix.  I actually almost removed the treble boost circuit since it will live at 12 O'clock anyways and I like less knobs and buttons.  I run it in the loop and it works really really well.  Just makes it louder but doesn't add preamp gain.

Funny enough our bass player does electronics engineering stuff and I was going to see about having these made in a SMT board without the treble boost circuit so I could design an enclosure and market them.  My buddy (for whom I worked at his guitar shop when I was younger) is kinda sorta looking for a commercial project like this.

I really want to take my new MkV:25 into my local Mesa tech to have him modify it so that the footswitch controls the loop instead of the EQ and then I could have just the one switch in front of me for shows.  It would help for when I come out of a solo on one song into a clean outro and have to turn off the boost and switch channels at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:17:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#50]

Yeah the BYOC.  I just needed to add a "solo" button to my rig since I ended up as the soloist in the band now and we have a few short features and solos that need to punch out of the mix.  I actually almost removed the treble boost circuit since it will live at 12 O'clock anyways and I like less knobs and buttons.  I run it in the loop and it works really really well.  Just makes it louder but doesn't add preamp gain.

Funny enough our bass player does electronics engineering stuff and I was going to see about having these made in a SMT board without the treble boost circuit so I could design an enclosure and market them.  My buddy (for whom I worked at his guitar shop when I was younger) is kinda sorta looking for a commercial project like this.

I really want to take my new MkV:25 into my local Mesa tech to have him modify it so that the footswitch controls the loop instead of the EQ and then I could have just the one switch in front of me for shows.  It would help for when I come out of a solo on one song into a clean outro and have to turn off the boost and switch channels at the same time.
View All Quotes

Do you use the switched eq at all? If not, have you tried setting it for a mid/treble boost that you can switch on? That would also help solos cut.

I know how you feel about tap dancing around the switches. If I rock my Orange with its switching and things in the loop it's a mess of switches and cables. I usually set up my board with the amp footswitch close enough to the other effects I need to switch simultaneously so I can hit them at the same time.

That being a tiny pedal, you can probably set it near the channel switch.

Another thing that helps me with placement is a junction box like this

https://www.vertexeffects.com/diy-interface

It lets you easily route your ins and outs to one spot on the board, and you can keep your stuff  packed tight with pancake jacks putting them wherever you need.

Like so:
This is my setup for my marshall that has a switchable fx loop and boost built in.
Attachment Attached File

Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top