2017 Vox VT20
2018 Gretsch G5220
2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic Player Plus
2020 Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s
2022 Marshall DSL40cr

Certainly not the worst case of GAS but it flares up
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I need, or maybe it's want, a semi hollow bodied guitar and something with P-90s.   Of course I'm always drawn to the more expensive stuff.

Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LRShooter:
I need, or maybe it's want, a semi hollow bodied guitar and something with P-90s.   Of course I'm always drawn to the more expensive stuff.
View Quote

Heritage H-530

Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I should try out some of the Heritage stuff.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#5]
My birthday is coming up in another 10 months, I should get something.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:53:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool article on Glenn Tipton and his guitar choices. Interesting take on them

https://www.glenntipton.com/guitar-collection.asp

I have used numerous guitars over the years. These include SG's and a 60's Fender Stratocaster up until about '78. During '78-'79. I used a black Gibson Les Paul Custom and also started using a modified CBS-era Fender Stratocaster with Dimarzio Super-Distortion (humbucking) pickups. For the Screaming for Vengeance tour I added a chrome pickguard. For that tour I also played a Gibson SG. The SG also had a chrome pickguard and stock PAF humbuckers. Around '84 I switched to a custom made Hamer Phantom, plus my own distinctive designed Hamer GT which you will see featured on the Hamer Guitar page.

I'm definitely not a collector of guitars as such. A guitar for me is a tool it does a job, and that's it. When I'm working, I just take out a selection of instruments that I think I'm going to use. And when I refer to a guitar as "valuable", I mean valuable in a personal way... so I'll show you some of my guitars that are interesting for various reasons or that mean a lot to me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:54:56 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

They make good stuff!
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#8]
You're gonna like that boss katana.   There are groups on FB that have patches you can load to your amp.   It's a hell of a unit.  
For me.
1st gen charvell
Gibson sg
Japanese takamene
Grestch jet
Esp bass.  

I want a prs next.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#9]
My guitar library keeps growing. I've been stuck on cheap guitars and putting my little touches on them making them play like thousands of dollars more. They're almost more fun than the boutique stuff!
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:

Have you spent 5k on a used Centaur Klon yet?
View Quote

Not YET.

I have spent several hundred $$ on discontinued pedals just to make sure I'll have access.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I might have me a few, I reckon.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Bro, my GAS has advanced to the point I own a banjo and an Irish flute that I haven't attempted to learn.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#13]

You know you need a guitar with humbuckers.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:55:39 AM EDT
[#14]
One thing I have done is talked myself down from buying either the Acoustasonic Telecaster or the Stratocaster.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 4:31:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I have so many interests that cost $ that I have to be measured in any particular one, but a boss katana is on my list to replace or maybe augment my 10+ year old roland cube.  I'm actually more interested in the sounds I can get out of it running my keyboard through it verses my Les Paul since I use a fractal fm3 with that which gives me all kinds of interesting sounds.

And my LP is my only electric.  Haven't found anything else that really grabs me.   Though I might want a gretsch, played a few and only one sounded decent.  Like the fenders but the fender sound seems kind of narrow for my tastes.  I'll keep searching, that's half the fun
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 4:38:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jonny762] [#16]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
I have played for over two decades.  I take every hobby to excess and go full retard buying shit.  For some reason this never hit me with guitars..... Thank God.
View Quote

Same here.. 45 and started playing around 18. Got into guns about the same time and bought just about everything I could gun-wise between then and now and still can't get enough, but I guess I never really felt much difference between a $4000 Gibson and a $200 Epiphone when it comes to guitars. I do love to play, but the juice just never seemed worth the squeeze. Now at middle age I'm doing the car thing.. oof.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 5:24:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#18]
As someone that has just crossed the 20 guitar mark, and can barely play, I have certainly have issues. It manifests in almost all my hobbies.

I partially blame Musicians Friend. I just bought an Epi SG because I had $60 in points to burn and it was on sale.

Proaudiostar has also been a problem.

I like buying stuff on sale. But I have no room.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RandyLahey01:
Sweet! You finally got your guitar. That’s awesome man, Ibanez aren’t my thing (too flat of a neck) but they are awesome guitars. Guitar are like guns… you can never have enough. That being said, practice and use a metronome or play along with the track. When you can start playing your favorite songs the. Celebrate and buy the next step up. You’ll know way more and know why you want from a playing perspective. Awesome dude.
View Quote

Yes sir I did and quite honestly I’m very happy with it. I initially thought about going the Strat or Les Paul route because the look and feel of them both were great. I jumped on the Ibanez because it felt like a very good deal and the end result was that it was. The wizard III neck is great for my fretting hand and much better than I had hoped it would be.

As for the thread, my MusicNomad tool kit came in yesterday. My local GC doesn’t have a tech on hand at the moment to do setups plus I want to be able to do it myself. $53 on Amazon shipped.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By danos660r:
You're gonna like that boss katana.   There are groups on FB that have patches you can load to your amp.   It's a hell of a unit.  
For me.
1st gen charvell
Gibson sg
Japanese takamene
Grestch jet
Esp bass.  

I want a prs next.
View Quote

I’ve literally heard nothing but good things about the katana. Even without having watched videos on YouTube about it besides the one a fellow member posted on my previous guitar thread. Even a GC employee steered me away from a Marshall  amp that was a couple hundred more expensive. FBM in my area has katanas, but folks are asking more than msrp and won’t budge even though they are used.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By azjeeper:

Nice BF group photo! Is the Vibroverb original?
Here's my BF family. The rest of the crew is in another photo somewhere.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60152/SR_s_jpg-2887272.JPG
View Quote

Very nice.  I had a reissue Super Reverb and it sounded great.  Bet those are awesome.

The Vibroverb was all original.  And pretty ratty to look at in person.  But original transformer and classic USA tubes.  Wish I'd kept it but I got tirred of taking care of that much stuff and sold them all.  Actually wish I'd kept one of the Deluxe Reverbs.  I do have this one which sounds as good as any of them for sale at my local dealers but think I'm going to bring it back home and keep it.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Navyvet1204:

Yes sir I did and quite honestly I’m very happy with it. I initially thought about going the Strat or Les Paul route because the look and feel of them both were great. I jumped on the Ibanez because it felt like a very good deal and the end result was that it was. The wizard III neck is great for my fretting hand and much better than I had hoped it would be.

As for the thread, my MusicNomad tool kit came in yesterday. My local GC doesn’t have a tech on hand at the moment to do setups plus I want to be able to do it myself. $53 on Amazon shipped.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/489659/IMG_0233_png-2887445.JPG
View Quote

Ibanez makes good stuff.  And good value to price.  If I get stupid and decide I need two basses the Ibanez family is getting a look.  Now that I can ALMOST play a full song on bass I'm getting that itch.  Stupid?  Yes.  Me?  Yes also.  

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SR600EAST--ibanez-standard-sr600e-bass-guitar-antique-brown-stained-burst
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jimmybcool:

Ibanez makes good stuff.  And good value to price.  If I get stupid and decide I need two basses the Ibanez family is getting a look.  Now that I can ALMOST play a full song on bass I'm getting that itch.  Stupid?  Yes.  Me?  Yes also.  

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SR600EAST--ibanez-standard-sr600e-bass-guitar-antique-brown-stained-burst
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Navyvet1204:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/489659/IMG_0233_png-2887445.JPG

Dude, that thing looks awesome if I’m judging the book by the cover. I’ve never considered a bass at all, but maybe I will give it a try at some point.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I have collected musical instruments for almost 45 years.  Music was a huge part of my life but having this collection is now a burden.

So the question is - how does one go about selling a very big, very high quality guitar collection?  I really want to liquidate all of it in the next couple of years.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#25]
When you have so many guitars you start hoarding amps instead.
View Quote
I just moved past amps and went to cabinets and speakers. I just picked up a "blown" scumback for free yesterday and another V30. Now I need cabs to put them in. It looks like I will be making a few more now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I had GAS really bad about 6 or 7 years ago.

Truthfully, I am debating if I want out from underneath my mountain of stuff. I basically never play anymore after getting married and having kids.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By fender_fella:
I have collected musical instruments for almost 45 years.  Music was a huge part of my life but having this collection is now a burden.

So the question is - how does one go about selling a very big, very high quality guitar collection?  I really want to liquidate all of it in the next couple of years.
View Quote

Holy shit, you figure it out, you let me know.

Mines about 25 years but we are in the same boat.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mach:
i only have 3 but i keep eyeing a Martin HD-28

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/tumblr_lka9rhi8aT1qadbq2o1_400_GIF-121.gif

if i was sill working and in good health I would already be playing one.

i have a 1972 gibson sg standard since new
yamaha FD01S
yamaha FG-700S

i mostly play the FG-700S
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:18:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#29]
Originally Posted By soopagloo:
Bro, my GAS has advanced to the point I own a banjo and an Irish flute that I haven't attempted to learn.
View Quote

i have a bag pipes practice chanter, that is difficult as hell for me

i have 2 brothers that play bagpipes and would like to join them, but my fingers just cant do it
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I turned 40 this year and told my wife I wanted to learn how to play the guitar. I told her it’s cheaper than buying a new Vette or another Harley lol.  I’ve never played guitar before, I can play  the saxophone and clarinet (learned when I was young), but I’ve always wanted to learn the guitar .

I know some on here might think it’s dumb, but I bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Fender American Pro 2 Strat . Couldn’t decide which one I wanted so I bought both. I bought a Fender Mustang GTX 100 amp. I’ve been watching videos and downloaded the Fender play app, but I plan on getting some lessons too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#31]
It’s even worse when you’re able to afford expensive stuff and anything less, no matter how ridiculous, is uncivilized.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:10:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: squashpup] [#32]
I quit buying guitars when I got one of those cheapo Indio telecasters. Paid $99 for it.

I absolutely love that thing. I use it more than any other guitar I own.

At that point, I thought, "I could buy a few more expensive guitars, but they'll likely just hang on the wall with the others." I know I could probably get something "better", but I'm happy with it and it works and it sounds good...I do have a set of Wilkinsons ready to go in it, but I'm in no hurry...

I've built a few since then, but I still use the Indio the most.

Over the years, I've gotten to the point that I'm going to work on skills rather than focus on gear. I'm 51, and I don't need another guitar, lol.

This was recorded using the $99 Indio, a $50 Blackstar Fly 3 amp, and running into a Behringer Uphoria interface (I think it was $30) into a 12 year old laptop, lol. Oh, and the bass is an $88 Glarry J-Bass clone, lol.

http://www.sndup.net/jvns

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Dog-eared P90s are my favorite.

I have a 1957 Junior, a 1957 TV Junior and a reissue Junior.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:21:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FistPeso] [#35]
I am down to 8 or 9 guitars and about that many amps.  It gets out of control if you let it.  It’s better to try to keep your stable to as few as possible and play the shit out of it.  At the end of the day you are going to prefer to play just one or two anyway.  The rest just collect dust and tie up money.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#36]
^^^^^this^^^^^^
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Reverb.com.   It will take a while to get top dollar but if it is desireable stuff it will sell.  Of course you'll have shipping hassles, some idiots claiming it isn't in the shape you said it was, etc.  But for top dollar that is the route.

Or find a local upscale store that does consignment.  Get less but no hassles dealing with the public.  

Watcha got?  
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Very nice.  I had a reissue Super Reverb and it sounded great.  Bet those are awesome.

The Vibroverb was all original.  And pretty ratty to look at in person.  But original transformer and classic USA tubes.  Wish I'd kept it but I got tirred of taking care of that much stuff and sold them all.  Actually wish I'd kept one of the Deluxe Reverbs.  I do have this one which sounds as good as any of them for sale at my local dealers but think I'm going to bring it back home and keep it.

https://i.imgur.com/FvQJnHN.jpg
View All Quotes

Nice BF group photo! Is the Vibroverb original?
Here's my BF family. The rest of the crew is in another photo somewhere.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60152/SR_s_jpg-2887272.JPG

https://i.imgur.com/FvQJnHN.jpg

That Vibroverb must've been a beast! And yes, the Super Reverb reissues do sound great! My reissue is right there with the vintage BF's SR's.
Have always heard great things about Vintage Sound amps. I've never played one but have seen Eddie Perez using them on occasion with The Mavericks, and they always sound great.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#39]
I just sold like half my collection. I recently moved and realized how much stress and anxiety it was to move all that shit. Plus my wife and mom were hounding me over it. I got it down from 10 guitars down to 5 now. Some I will miss but some I just can't let go of. I still have,

2014 60th anniversary Fender Strat '54 American vintage reissue
2014 Fender Telecaster '52 American vintage reissue, I refinished in black
2016 Les Paul studio 50's tribute w/ P90's
2021 Les Paul Standard
2016 Martin D28 w/ LR Baggs anthem pickup

I kept all the good shit for myself but honestly I miss the Squiers and Epiphones that I had too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Sweetwater is the Devil.  They make it so easy with their zero percent financing, pretty pictures, and fast shipping.

Off to browse the Sweetwater website.
View Quote

Check out Thomann. They’re in Germany, so some stuff can’t be shipped to the States because of agreements with manufacturers, but almost everything is less expensive even after the import duty.

Their Harley Benton guitars punch way above their weight. I bought a Tele-style for under $200 delivered and it’s one of the best sub $1k guitars I’ve ever seen. You really have to see it to believe it.

Shipping is really fast, too. Usually only takes 2-3 days.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:55:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BTccw] [#41]
GASmember # 879056 here.

“Oh, I forgot I had that one….”

Now I need to find the horse support thread….. and a rehab group.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#42]
A friendly reminder to all of my fellow GAS afflicted friends, the next Powerball drawing is worth north of $900 million.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Thanks for the inspiration OP and folks. I haven't picked one up in a long time, but last night/this morning, after reading this thread, I fired up the small amp and jammed out hard on the Iceman.
View Quote

That’s what it’s all about my friend.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#44]

That Vibroverb must've been a beast! And yes, the Super Reverb reissues do sound great! My reissue is right there with the vintage BF's SR's.
Have always heard great things about Vintage Sound amps. I've never played one but have seen Eddie Perez using them on occasion with The Mavericks, and they always sound great.
View Quote

The Vintage Sounds is a neat amp.  On the "wet" side it is confiured as a 64 blackface Deluxe Reverb tone.  On the "dry" side it is actually set up to be a brown face Deluxe amp but the "wet" features also work with it.  

I have no idea how they do this stuff but it is awesome.

The Vibroverb was a great amp and of course SRV.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:07:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FistPeso] [#45]
If someone was just starting out these days, if you got a nice playing electric and acoustic and a Fractal Audio FM-3/FM-9.  You would be set and avoid piles of wasted money.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Some of my gear:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:36:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#47]
Making tube amps helps keep you busy. Good USA transformers are a bit spendy though.

18W Tremolo (Marshall 1974 circuit)

Blackface DR, also with bias vary tremolo (brownface era). Made both cabs and the pedal board too.

A number have come and gone, including a stolen '66 330TD and a '68 J45

Added this one last year - supposed to get me to play more

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Their stuff is fantastic - much better than the factory new Gibsons I've seen in the last 15 years.  I had a 335 copy that I sold a few years back because I just didn't play it enough.  Incidentally, never use or support Reverb.  They are a garbage company run by shitty people.  They fucked me on the initial sale of that guitar when the buyer got it and dropped it (damaging the strap button) then wanted to return it; I had to get my lawyer involved to make Reverb agree to pay for return shipping and repairs because their "insurance" was all bullshit, and they (and Paypal - another garbage company) both sided immediately with the "buyer."  Had to report them to the state insurance regulators for the insurance scam, too.  One of these days I'll make a post with the whole story, but I documented everything.  Never use Reverb!

Anyways, I am a huge believer that if you don't play it at least once a month, it is time to sell it.  I worked at a guitar shop for years when I was younger but sold most of my stuff after college so other people could enjoy it and it would actually get used.

My small stable is a '72 Martin D-28, a newer Martin GPC Aura-GT, a '79 Gibson LP Artist with the Moog shit stripped out, a '93 Robin Ranger, and a 2010 Robin Avalon (the only one Dave ever made with a multi-ply maple neck instead of that garbage mahogany).  I just wish it also had an ebony fretboard like the Les Paul.

I use the D-28 for recording and the GPC for playing acoustic shows.  The '93 Robin was stolen when I was in college and recovered over a decade later so I keep that one even though I don't play it as much as I'd like.  As I've gotten older the neck is harder to play without cramping up.  The '79 Les Paul is my main player for electric gigs and the Avalon is my backup.

I have a Boogie MkIV widebody for an amp, and for backup an old Sansamp GT2 pedal that I can use to go direct into a PA if the Boogie goes down.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Talk to Dave Rogers at Dave's Guitar Shop in LaCrosse, WI.  He sells internationally and is an absolute straight-shooter.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Reverb.com.   It will take a while to get top dollar but if it is desireable stuff it will sell.  Of course you'll have shipping hassles, some idiots claiming it isn't in the shape you said it was, etc.  But for top dollar that is the route.

Or find a local upscale store that does consignment.  Get less but no hassles dealing with the public.  

Watcha got?  
View Quote

NEVER trust Reverb with quality instruments.
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top