Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I was talking to this homeless guy on a bus and he was telling me how his neighbor had to get a special "4K friendly" blu-ray player in order to back-up some of his physical media with a digital copy. Apparently the hardware in normal 4K blu-ray players prevent disc ripping 4K discs, regardless of the program you use. I guess it can bypass any blu-ray restrictions, too.

He was saying his neighbor bought this 4K friendly player
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E7B08MS

and then download this firmware flasher tool
warning direct download link
Click To View Spoiler

and then downloaded the firmware pack to roll back the firmware
Click To View Spoiler

and followed the instructions in the OP here
https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634&sid=0fd71722bbd676e492f3a7814d85b5df

or maybe here

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22896

and then download MakeMKV here
Click To View Spoiler

and use VLC player to play the MKV files. He said his neighbor can convert the files to a different format to make them more compatible with other players if he wishes.

He also told me that doing this, while his neighbor will be able to rip it, it may also make it so he will not be able to play the disc directly off of the flashed player.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:42:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rugerlvr] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RoccoOnFire:
I was talking to this homeless guy on a bus and he was telling me how his neighbor had to get a special "4K friendly" blu-ray player in order to back-up some of his physical media with a digital copy. Apparently the hardware in normal 4K blu-ray players prevent disc ripping 4K discs, regardless of the program you use. I guess it can bypass any blu-ray restrictions, too.

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634&sid=0fd71722bbd676e492f3a7814d85b5df

or maybe here

Click To View Spoiler

and use VLC player to play the MKV files. He said his neighbor can convert the files to a different format to make them more compatible with other players if he wishes.

He also told me that doing this, while his neighbor will be able to rip it, it may also make it so he will not be able to play the disc directly off of the flashed player.
View Quote

Or, you know, you could just post this: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:
MakeMKV to rip, Handbrake to compress.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:03:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#4]
Originally Posted By RoccoOnFire:

Click To View Spoiler
Click To View Spoiler

or maybe here

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

You lost me at homeless guy has a neighbor with a 4k bluray player.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I use DVD CATalyst  which will rip everything but the Disney stuff.
Unfortunately,  its no longer available i think, and I kinda dread the day the computer its on dies.

So this is my tag for ideas
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:12:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#6]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
I use DVD CATalyst  which will rip everything but the Disney stuff.
Unfortunately,  it's no longer available i think, and I kinda dread the day the computer its on dies.
View Quote
You don't have the installer?

We had that problem at work. Despite paying $5k for a fingerprinting app with a Windows workstation, they wouldn't give us the installer, and then the HDD started failing. So I imaged the drive, then got it repaired as best I could, and then imaged it again. Replaced that drive with an SSD and it's running great now. I could replace that whole PC if I needed to.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
You don't have the installer?

We had that problem at work. Despite paying $5k for a fingerprinting app with a Windows workstation, they wouldn't give us the installer, and then the HDD started failing. So I imaged the drive, then got it repaired as best I could, and then imaged it again. Replaced that drive with an SSD and it's running great now. I could replace that whole PC if I needed to.
View Quote

I probably do, but wouldn't they need to verify with the company or whatever?
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 4:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#8]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
I probably do, but wouldn't they need to verify with the company or whatever?
View Quote
Depends on how the software is activated and/or what workarounds are available.

Edit: Looks like it just used some kind of MD5 hash of the licensee's name, so if that was all hashed client-side (and not dependent on any licensing server) then it should work in perpetuity, assuming you still have your license key data.

CNET and other places still host the 4.4.4.4 installer (which automatically installs as a Trial version by default).
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Command line mplayer is the way.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 7:57:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#10]
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#13]
As Scuba Steve said, if you're not worried about compressing and your choice of player will play mkv files just use that.  One and done.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#15]
OST
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 1:12:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:48:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#19]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
It worked! The movie played flawlessly. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Now I just have about 149 more DVDs to rip...
View Quote

I hope you have lots of drive space as it’s a slippery slope

Don’t start watching Blu-ray or 4K Blu-ray movies as they’re 25GB-85GB in size rather than the 7GB of a DVD.

Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 12:03:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#21]

My son set me up with two 4T HDDs, in a NAS that has four slots, and I'll eventually add more so that I have real backup. Once I do all of the movie DVDs, I'll see if I have room for my TV series DVDs. If there's room after that, I'll start on Blue-Rays. I don't have nearly as many BR though.
View Quote

TV series are a time and space killer for sure. Especially when you start on shows that are 10+ seasons long.

I’m starting on Eureka and Warehouse 13 next week when the Blu-ray box sets arrive. I can’t decide whether to delete the DVD versions when I’m done or not.  I’m sure I’ll never watch them when I have 1080P versions available.

ETA: You may want to consider backing things up as well given the time involved in ripping them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Another vote for Handbrake, so easy a caveman could do it. FYI you have a choice of what format to rip to, it'll do Matroska as well as mp4. And any size and quality you want.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Go into the options and set it to single drive mode.  You'll have to close and reopen the program then select the drive you want to use.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#28]
For making a backup .ISO file that is easily used to burn a DVD that fits on a standard 4.35GB blank DVD "DVD Shrink" is fast, easy and very few incriptions can't be over ridden

It is free. It shrinks the original as most are much larger than 4.35GB. You can also edit if you want just the movie 0r a couple episodes etc etc

Works with XP, W7, W10 (I don't have W11)

You can back up and store the .ISO file so if your original is damaged you can then burn the replacement

I have used most of the others but this is easier IMO
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I went a bit crazy on Black Friday upgrading my DVD collections to Blu-ray’s.

On the way…

TV:
Chuck
Parks and Recreation
Friends
Big Bang Theory
Warehouse 13

4K Movies:
Shrek
Jurassic Park
Jupiter Ascending

Movies:
Alien: Quadrilogy

I just did the math on the 105 discs and that means 4.25TB to back the discs up, ~3.5TB for the Remuxes, and ~2TB for the converted H265 copies….ouch 😳
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Firestarter123:
I just did the math on the 105 discs and that means 4.25TB to back the discs up, ~3.5TB for the Remuxes, and ~2TB for the converted H265 copies….ouch 😳
View Quote

But you dont have to store it all do you?  You have the bluray disc and you have the final 2TB worth of stuff you'll watch.  Everything else is intermediate files.  You can recreate them again, and you aren't planning on watching them.  So what's the point of keeping them?
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:45:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

But you dont have to store it all do you?  You have the bluray disc and you have the final 2TB worth of stuff you'll watch.  Everything else is intermediate files.  You can recreate them again, and you aren't planning on watching them.  So what's the point of keeping them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Do you have any idea how long it takes to handle and convert 100+ Blu-ray’s?

Eventually, H265 will be an old format and I don’t want to have to spend the 40min per disc converting them again as if back up the disc now I can easily convert them later without having to handle them all again.

I like watching the Remuxes on my Sony Master Series TV, however, most of the people that have access to my media server don’t have the internet to handle that bitrate and I’d rather not have to make the server transcode them constantly.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#34]

I have just over 100 DVDs left to go in this tote, but the other tote has all the Blue-Rays (along with TV series on DVD). My optical drive is old, and only does DVD, CD-RW, and CD-R, so I can't rip my BRs until I get a newer optical drive.
View All Quotes
I went a bit crazy on Black Friday upgrading my DVD collections to Blu-ray's.

I have just over 100 DVDs left to go in this tote, but the other tote has all the Blue-Rays (along with TV series on DVD). My optical drive is old, and only does DVD, CD-RW, and CD-R, so I can't rip my BRs until I get a newer optical drive.

If you’re buying a new drive buy this one as the firmware can be downgraded to work for ripping 4K Blu-ray’s.

Buy DVDFab and use this utility to downgrade it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Drive added to my shopping list, and I'll get it soon. Thanks.
View Quote

No problem!

It's been working well for me.  I did add another slim Blu-ray drive to my little mini-PC via USB to allow me to copy multiple disks at a time.  It helps get through the discs much quicker.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#37]

On the way

TV:
Chuck
Parks and Recreation
Friends
Big Bang Theory
Warehouse 13

4K Movies:
Shrek
Jurassic Park
Jupiter Ascending

Movies:

I just did the math on the 105 discs and that means 4.25TB to back the discs up, ~3.5TB for the Remuxes, and ~2TB for the converted H265 copies .ouch
View Quote
you can get a ten TB WD Red drive on Amazon for $150.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By navvet89:
View All Quotes

On the way

TV:
Chuck
Parks and Recreation
Friends
Big Bang Theory
Warehouse 13

4K Movies:
Shrek
Jurassic Park
Jupiter Ascending

Movies:

I just did the math on the 105 discs and that means 4.25TB to back the discs up, ~3.5TB for the Remuxes, and ~2TB for the converted H265 copies .ouch

I have the space happily so that’s not a problem.

I think I have 7x14TB HGST Ultrastar SAS drives as spares currently.  I may just have to bite the bullet and start replacing the 8TB drives that are still in my NAS as I figured they’d start dying after almost. 7 years but they aren’t.

WD Red drives are garbage now as most of them are SMR and they all have a URE of 1^14 so they aren’t to be trusted in parity based RAID arrays IMO.

Ultrastar drives are all CMR and have a URE of 1^15.

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I run makeMKV to rip, then drop them into the work folder I have setup on my NAS.

I have handbrake setup in a docker container in unraid which then outputs them to a finished folder.

I can rip a bunch, then drop them in the work folder and walk away.

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#40]

WD Red drives are garbage now as most of them are SMR and they all have a URE of 1^14 so they aren’t to be trusted in parity based RAID arrays IMO.

View Quote

Arent they the same thing?  

1^14 = 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 = 1
1^15 = 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 = 1
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Yore353:
I run makeMKV to rip, then drop them into the work folder I have setup on my NAS.

I have handbrake setup in a docker container in unraid which then outputs them to a finished folder.

I can rip a bunch, then drop them in the work folder and walk away.

View Quote

Yup, bigly big fan of batch encoding.

Last time I did a rip project it was 750-/+ CDs and 150 or so bluray. Multiple drives were nice to have but it still took a bit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#43]

I have the space happily so that's not a problem.

I think I have 7x14TB HGST Ultrastar SAS drives as spares currently.  I may just have to bite the bullet and start replacing the 8TB drives that are still in my NAS as I figured they'd start dying after almost. 7 years but they aren't.

WD Red drives are garbage now as most of them are SMR and they all have a URE of 1^14 so they aren't to be trusted in parity based RAID arrays IMO.

View All Quotes

On the way

TV:
Chuck
Parks and Recreation
Friends
Big Bang Theory
Warehouse 13

4K Movies:
Shrek
Jurassic Park
Jupiter Ascending

Movies:

I have the space happily so that's not a problem.

I think I have 7x14TB HGST Ultrastar SAS drives as spares currently.  I may just have to bite the bullet and start replacing the 8TB drives that are still in my NAS as I figured they'd start dying after almost. 7 years but they aren't.

WD Red drives are garbage now as most of them are SMR and they all have a URE of 1^14 so they aren't to be trusted in parity based RAID arrays IMO.

my point was that storage is cheap not that WD drives are great
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#44]
my point was that storage is cheap not that WD drives are great
View Quote

Gotcha.

I paid $135 each for the 14TB Ultrastar drives from ServerPartDeals.

It still adds up though when you have over 600TB of HDD’s 😬

Especially when those old 8TB drives were $279 each back then 😞
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 6:24:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#45]
I think I'm going to delete my Remux files as I just can't see a difference between them with my vision and it'll free up 6TB+ of space.  I also just don't want to keep making them at 3-7 minutes each with several hundred files needing to be done.

I can always recreate them if I feel the need.

ETA: It was more like 9.5TB…and…it’s gone.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#46]
If anyone cares I found out that MakeMKV connects to an IP in Russia (185.84.108.20) in order to download the SDF file.  I had to add a rule to my firewall to allow it to connect as I block all incoming/outgoing traffic with Russia, China, and India by default at home.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#47]
If anyone cares I found out that MakeMKV connects to an IP in Russia (185.84.108.20) in order to download the SDF file.  I had to add a rule to my firewall to allow it to connect as I block all incoming/outgoing traffic with Russia, China, and India by default at home.
View Quote
More info on how I can do this at home?
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:41:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#48]
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Makemkv and plex on a qnap NAS

I'm at least 200 discs into my collection and I am buying more and more discs everyday.

NAS gets backed up to external drive and the original discs are the final backup.

No problem with 4K

I use the case logic binders to hold the discs.  I toss all the original holders.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top