Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Why bother? I started ripping my DVDs to NAS about a decade ago and then realized what a waste of time it was since most of them had Ultraviolet digital IDs I could register and stream them from the cloud. I do purchase 4K Blu Rays for use in my mini theater, but I don't rip them either since I get the digital version also and can stream them anywhere else I want to.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KYLiberty:
Why bother? I started ripping my DVDs to NAS about a decade ago and then realized what a waste of time it was since most of them had Ultraviolet digital IDs I could register and stream them from the cloud. I do purchase 4K Blu Rays for use in my mini theater, but I don't rip them either since I get the digital version also and can stream them anywhere else I want to.
View Quote

Because there have been several services like Ultraviolet that have gone out of business which means you can no longer stream your movies.

I'm thinking about selling those codes on eBay as I'll never use them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Firestarter123:

Because there have been several services like Ultraviolet that have gone out of business which means you can no longer stream your movies.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The hundreds of Ultraviolet IDs I registered still stream through Vudu.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
View All Quotes

Sure...until they don't.

That's the problem with all streaming platforms.  Amazon has removed purchased content in the past and there's nothing stopping Vudu from doing the same.

That or Vudu will just go out of business.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Sure...until they don't.

That's the problem with all streaming platforms.  Amazon has removed purchased content in the past and there's nothing stopping Vudu from doing the same.

View All Quotes

Sure...until they don't.

Then spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars on NAS to rip all your DVDs. If any of my digital copies go away, I'll just get the old DVD out of the giant box of them in the garage if they aren't streaming on any of my other services and I want to watch one. As for my 4K Blu Rays, they're in my mini theater. Don't even need to go out to the garage to get one of them. Personally, I've got better uses for my 3 NASs and my time.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
That's awesome. My son has Plex set up already, so I can just hook into that.
View Quote

An alternative is Emby....I quit using plex several years ago after the Plex development team got snarky with users after a face lift of the interface.  They also started pulling lots of personal usage data at the same time and were very coy about that new 'feature'.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Then spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars on NAS to rip all your DVDs. If any of my digital copies go away, I'll just get the old DVD out of the giant box of them in the garage if they aren't streaming on any of my other services and I want to watch one. As for my 4K Blu Rays, they're in my mini theater. Don't even need to go out to the garage to get one of them. Personally, I've got better uses for my 3 NASs and my time.
View Quote

That's literally what this entire thread is about so that's what we'll continue to do
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#11]

I never heard of that, but I'll look into it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
That's awesome. My son has Plex set up already, so I can just hook into that.
An alternative is Emby...

I never heard of that, but I'll look into it.

I’m a big fan of Emby as well. Jellyfin is a free option based on Emby, however, I prefer the way Emby lets me restrict users by subfolders within each library.

I switched from Plex to Emby several years ago and have no regrets.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 2:06:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#13]
If you're already using Plex and like that interface, I would stick with it. You can also manage your music library from there.

When you rip your movies, tag them with the IMDB that you get from the URL of the movie description. That will help programs like Plex tag everything easily.

IMDB URL of Aliens:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

File name you should use:
Aliens (1986) {imdb-tt0090605}

Sounds like you have a good handle of the ripping procress. I personally don't bother with Handbrake to compress the files as HDD costs are dropping all of the time. I want the original file in the highest quality possible.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 2:24:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: magnum_99] [#14]
Makemkv is the only one worth a crap. Go ahead and buy the key, it's worth it.

AnyDvd is Chinese Spyware.

Plex sucks. I have had nothing but problems with it.

Emby is great and works all the time. It's worth it to buy the full version.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 4:05:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 5:02:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I tried Plex sometime ago and did not like.  Very sluggish.

I then tried Kodi and never looked back.  I currently use the Synology Media Server on the NAS and a Vero 4K+ little box (attached to the TV) that runs Kodi on OSMC OS (Linux distro) as the streaming client.

I also use MakeMKV to rip my disks but instead of relying purely on Kodi's internal scrapper, I first run TMM (TinyMediaManager) that gathers the movie or series' info from many different places (IMDB, TMDB, TVDB, etc.).  I then choose the movie poster and fanart I want for the movies, pick the description, put my own notes, and sort the actors the way I want as well as sometimes fill some missing information.  TMM then creates the NFO file and renames the photos and graphics to make everything compatible with Kodi (it can also organize according to other media managers like Plex and others).   In the case of TV series, it pulls each episode description and related info.  After everything looks like what I want, I run Kodi's library update, which reads the info from the NFO files I created with TMM.

The Vero 4K+ can also do some upscaling so the videos coming from the old low-res DVDs do not look bad on a large TV screen.

Link Posted: 11/30/2023 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
I will never rely on content that I do not physically own.  If it's important to you, get a hard or soft copy... but relying on streaming is not a good strategy IMO.
View Quote

Yeah.  There are some shows like Tom and Jerry that are edited to leave out the violent parts - no frying pan to the face.  in the future, how many are going to be removed from viewing for "toxic masculinity" or some other stupid reason?

I'm up to 500+ movies, 900 TV episodes, and 163 music albums on my Plex server running on a Synology NAS.

My local library has DVDs, so I may check some of them out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Plex is set up, but I've only used it a couple of times. Once I get everything ripped in, I'll have to start that learning curve, vs opening the drive and playing it on the PC. That's tempting though, because I have better speakers hooked to the PC than to the TV.
View Quote

There's a Plex client for Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android.  Watch or listen to your movies, TV shows, and music wherever you want.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I will never rely on content that I do not physically own.  If it's important to you, get a hard or soft copy... but relying on streaming is not a good strategy IMO.
View Quote

Somewhat related to this statement, what are you guys using to store your original DVD's after ripping them?  I plan to keep all of mine (cases and all) but haven't found any decent storage solutions.  I've looked all over for some properly sized Rubbermaid type containers, but the only thing close I've found are like cloth covered cardboard ones on Amazon.  Anyone found anything better?
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dlshady:

Somewhat related to this statement, what are you guys using to store your original DVD's after ripping them?  I plan to keep all of mine (cases and all) but haven't found any decent storage solutions.  I've looked all over for some properly sized Rubbermaid type containers, but the only thing close I've found are like cloth covered cardboard ones on Amazon.  Anyone found anything better?
View All Quotes

From my previous post:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/924197-REG/case_logic_bnb_208_capacity_nylon_cd_dvd.html

I just keep the discs, I toss the cases.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2023 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#21]

This would sure make storage easier, but I'm not ready to give up all that info yet. I guess I could pull all the inserts/covers, and save them too. Hmm...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lion:
I use the case logic binders to hold the discs.  I toss all the original holders.

This would sure make storage easier, but I'm not ready to give up all that info yet. I guess I could pull all the inserts/covers, and save them too. Hmm...
Takes a lot less space.  there are a few I have kept with original cases just because I like the artwork, but 200 discs in a binder vs 200 discs in cases is a big different.

I still also buy/use CDs.  For those I keep the cases.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Wulfmann:
For making a backup .ISO file that is easily used to burn a DVD that fits on a standard 4.35GB blank DVD "DVD Shrink" is fast, easy and very few incriptions can't be over ridden

It is free. It shrinks the original as most are much larger than 4.35GB. You can also edit if you want just the movie 0r a couple episodes etc etc

Works with XP, W7, W10 (I don't have W11)

You can back up and store the .ISO file so if your original is damaged you can then burn the replacement

I have used most of the others but this is easier IMO
View Quote

@Wulfmann

Can Plex or VLC, or any of the others play .ISO files? Or do I have to convert them first?

I have about 50'ish TB of them (I have an older OPPO BDP with the software version that will play ISO rips, and have almost all my BDs and DVDs ripped to ISO).
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#23]

I have just over 100 DVDs left to go in this tote, but the other tote has all the Blue-Rays (along with TV series on DVD). My optical drive is old, and only does DVD, CD-RW, and CD-R, so I can't rip my BRs until I get a newer optical drive.
View All Quotes
I went a bit crazy on Black Friday upgrading my DVD collections to Blu-ray's.

I have just over 100 DVDs left to go in this tote, but the other tote has all the Blue-Rays (along with TV series on DVD). My optical drive is old, and only does DVD, CD-RW, and CD-R, so I can't rip my BRs until I get a newer optical drive.

I have, and can highly recommend this. It's fast, and error free (and can easily be moved to a new/different computer.

Link Posted: 11/30/2023 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
Yep, that's how I did it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:
MakeMKV to rip, Handbrake to compress.
Yep, that's how I did it.

This is also the combination I use. MakeMKV is really good at what it does.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#25]

If you’re buying a new drive buy this one as the firmware can be downgraded to work for ripping 4K Blu-ray’s.

Buy DVDFab and use this utility to downgrade it.
View All Quotes

If you’re buying a new drive buy this one as the firmware can be downgraded to work for ripping 4K Blu-ray’s.

Well.... dang. That's way cheaper. Thanks.

I haven't jumped down the rabbit hole of ripping my 4K discs yet. Now I'll have to look into it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 3:15:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#26]
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:

And the Plex app for Roku, which is a big use case for us.

I've been running a Plex server for a dozen years and zero issues.  Ran it on a home server for most of that time, but more recently switched to running it directly on a Synology NAS.  Works fantastic, but most of the newer Synology NASes don't have a decent enough GPU to encode higher resolution video adequately.

If you name your files well, it automatically locates and associates all the meta data and art, and that extends to television and mini series:

https://i.imgur.com/HNo7Bj5.png

Also provides access to all the audio and subtitle tracks.
View Quote

Filebot will take care of that.

As far as transcoding, I like to use a Lenovo thinkcentre tiny with at least 8th gen intel.  Can find several with i5-8500T on ebay around $100 or so.  Run the Plex(or jellyfin in my case) server on the thinkcentre.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#28]
i have been ripping my blurays with makemvk the last couple days. damn the files are huge. im seeing 20-50 GB per movie
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#29]
If anyone cares I found out that MakeMKV connects to an IP in Russia (185.84.108.20) in order to download the SDF file.  I had to add a rule to my firewall to allow it to connect as I block all incoming/outgoing traffic with Russia, China, and India by default at home.
View Quote
Wonder what happens when you actually pay for the key to rip Blu-ray now that it's not free anymore?

Link Posted: 11/30/2023 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I just made my 148th folder, some of which have three movies in them,
View Quote

Meanwhile I put most of my movies in a single folder.  Plex doesn't care about the folders.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 4:01:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#31]
Originally Posted By Wildfowler:
Wonder what happens when you actually pay for the key to rip Blu-ray now that it's not free anymore?
View All Quotes

Is it no longer officially Beta? Because the November key is still up.

Originally Posted By Larsonous:
i have been ripping my blurays with makemvk the last couple days. damn the files are huge. im seeing 20-50 GB per movie

4K rips are even bigger at 50GB-80GB. HDD prices aren't bad when you catch a sale. I was buying 18TB WD Red drives for around $210 this summer.

Originally Posted By bluemax_1:
Can Plex or VLC, or any of the others play .ISO files? Or do I have to convert them first?

I have about 50'ish TB of them (I have an older OPPO BDP with the software version that will play ISO rips, and have almost all my BDs and DVDs ripped to ISO).

Plex won't play ISO. I think Kodi does. But you can use MakeMKV and rip the MKV file from the original ISO. So you don't need to grab the disc again.

I haven't jumped down the rabbit hole of ripping my 4K discs yet. Now I'll have to look into it.

I don't bother with ISO. I just rip the main feature as MKV. Then I'll just rip any special features I want. Plex will let you organize all of that. No more tumbling around with menus, FBI warnings, etc. Plus, it takes up less space, which makes a big difference with 4K. I'm at over 16TB with 310 movie rips, 90% of which are 4K.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Toker_:

4K rips are even bigger at 50GB-80GB. HDD prices aren't bad when you catch a sale. I was buying 18TB WD Red drives for around $210 this summer.

Plex won't play ISO. I think Kodi does. But you can use MakeMKV and rip the MKV file from the original ISO. So you don't need to grab the disc again.

I don't bother with ISO. I just rip the main feature as MKV. Then I'll just rip any special features I want. Plex will let you organize all of that. No more tumbling around with menus, FBI warnings, etc. Plus, it takes up less space, which makes a big difference with 4K. I'm at over 16TB with 310 movie rips, 90% of which are 4K.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Toker_:

Originally Posted By Larsonous:

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 5:26:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dlshady] [#34]
From my previous post:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/924197-REG/case_logic_bnb_208_capacity_nylon_cd_dvd.html

View All Quotes

From my previous post:

I appreciate the link but like I said, I'm keeping them in the cases.  Surely someone has made a storage solution for them that's not cardboard.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I keep my discs in a binder made for em. Toss the cases and inserts (except for a couple for some reason).
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

No problem 👍

4K Blu-ray’s take forever to copy and they take a lot of space but they look great.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By GI-45:

If you have a Roku with a USB port (such as Roku Ultra or one of their older models), their Media Player app works really well for playing MP4 and MKV files locally from an external hard drive. Even lets you add thumbnails and close caption files. I really like it because I don't need a separate PC running in the background.

ETA this also works if your Roku is built into your TV.
View Quote

Plex is a better approach IMO
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:

I was watching a 4K demo reel on a TV at BestBuy yesterday and it was just jaw dropping.
View Quote

Thats no accident.  The TV's demo mode's whole job is to sell you the TV.  The videos are edited to have the most vibrant colors and the TV is put into whatever mode to display those specific videos.  Once you get the TV home, most shows, even 4k ones, are streamed at significantly lower bitrate.  And average shows are not 24/7 content that fits ino that window of "what colors are most vibrant and make this TV look absolutely amazing".

Not saying its look like ass.  Just pointing out that of coarse demo mode looks good.  Thats the whole point of it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Thats no accident.  The TV's demo mode's whole job is to sell you the TV.  The videos are edited to have the most vibrant colors and the TV is put into whatever mode to display those specific videos.  Once you get the TV home, most shows, even 4k ones, are streamed at significantly lower bitrate.  And average shows are not 24/7 content that fits ino that window of "what colors are most vibrant and make this TV look absolutely amazing".

Not saying its look like ass.  Just pointing out that of coarse demo mode looks good.  Thats the whole point of it.
View Quote

4K lets you see some of the finer details, but the biggest difference is HDR/Dolby Vision. The color difference is immediately noticeable. All of the Planet Earth/Discovery content is reference content in 4K. But there are a lot of movies that look a lot better with new masters and HDR grading.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#42]
FPNI
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 1:41:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 2:13:20 AM EDT
[#44]
MakeMKV creates a folder for each one, and I have to manually make it put some together. It did a few without folders (about eight of them), and I don't know why they were different.

As for naming them, I don't even understand all the hints posted above about naming/linking them, and I've been naming them in a way to make it easier to find them individually. I give them a basic genre, then the name of the movie. Some of them I did by actor, because I have several movies that I wanted categorized together. (Audrey Hepburn, Steven Seagal, S. Stallone, etc.).

I'm still learning as I go, and I hope that I don't have to go through and rename all of them.
View Quote

I categorize my movies by name. If there are several movies in a group, I'll put them in their own folder.

From there, you can use Plex to sort things in the order you want.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 2:30:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#46]

How are crocodile dundee and deliverance "action" movies?
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

That's the first damn thing I thought!  

Then I was like      
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Sure...until they don't.

View All Quotes

Sure...until they don't.

Not to mention that in the near future they are highly likely to, (without informing you) edit-out certain parts of movies which they deem politically incorrect.

This is already starting to happen with some classic books as well.

Publishers are "fixing" the parts of classic literature that don't comport with current woke standards.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top