Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 2:15:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
Doing my first BlueRay, for the third time, and so far I can't get it to have sound. Video is good, but no sound.
View Quote

Are you using MakeMKV?  If so, what audio settings are you using to rip the audio tracks?  Are the boxes checked for at least one language?

Link Posted: 12/15/2023 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Yes, MakeMKV. I don't even know how to find the sound settings, but it worked fine for the DVDs. When I try the BRs, the movie has no sound. If I also rip the other features, like directors videos 3-4min long, those have sound. I can only guess that the movies have some extra protection.
View Quote

What are you playing the files with and have you tried different audio tracks?
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
You may find that that the audio track is there, but not selected by default by windows media player.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Try using VLC to play them. You can right click and select the audio track.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:
Handbrake for ripping
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 3:23:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jakezor] [#10]
I play them with Windows Media Player. I don't know enough to answer about the audio tracks. I don't even know how to find that info.

Here's how I rip them, unchecking all but the largest file. I rename them, so that I can ID them outside of their folders.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51036/MKV__1__JPG-3060273.jpg
View Quote

Originally Posted By dragoontwo:
You may find that that the audio track is there, but not selected by default by windows media player.
View Quote

I'll dig around some more, and see if i can find those settings. Thanks.
View Quote

@67Firebird next time you do that hit the > on that biggest title, it will have subtitles, audio tracks, and other stuff in there.

ETA I just grabbed a bluray I recently bought but haven't ripped yet:
Attachment Attached File

If anything to make sure you actually ripped the audio with the video.
If you're an extreme space mizer you can remove other stuff too.

2nd ETA, ripped at like 4.8x not bad, here is how the audio choice shows up when playing back the MVK in VLC:
Attachment Attached File

I just did the 2nd title, the main feature. Ended up as a 10.9GB MKV.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:59:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rossi] [#12]
Thank you. It'll probably be tomorrow night before I can get back into it, but I will try all of that. On my 4T drive, I still have 2.3T of free space, so I plan to keep going.
View Quote

Yep.  What others already said.  The audio tracks are likely there.  I use VLC to check the ripped files and sometimes need to select an audio track because, for some reason, all get disabled in playback.

Kodi usually has them enabled by default, so I don't have this problem when streaming them, but not sure how Windows Media Player does it.

The interesting thing is why in your case it works differently for DVDs and BDs.  I haven't noticed it when doing it here.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#15]

I just tried that, and it didn't work. I'm trying to convert one of the previous ones to mp4 right now, but I couldn't get Handbrake to rip anything.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51036/Handbrake-3061836.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jahdai42:
Originally Posted By flyhack72:
Handbrake for ripping
This

I just tried that, and it didn't work. I'm trying to convert one of the previous ones to mp4 right now, but I couldn't get Handbrake to rip anything.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51036/Handbrake-3061836.jpg

Go into preferences and change the minimum length from 1800 to 1000 and try again.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok I'll try that, when this conversion attempt is done.
View Quote

Good luck!

I just started all of The Big Bang Theory episodes converting. It’s 279 episodes and is going to take 42 hours…ouch!
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
IMO, It would be much, much easier and quicker to just download a  "torrent" of high quality dvd rips through a vpn then to go through the trouble of actually ripping a dvd.  This is what I do and I have about 6TB of movies stored on a samba share on my home server.

It takes about 4 minutes to download a typical high bitrate 4k movie for me.
View Quote

amateur.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By General_1:

amateur.
View All Quotes
IMO, It would be much, much easier and quicker to just download a  "torrent" of high quality dvd rips through a vpn then to go through the trouble of actually ripping a dvd.  This is what I do and I have about 6TB of movies stored on a samba share on my home server.

amateur.

Yeah I didn’t want to say anything but my media directory is right at 50TB now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 1:45:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#21]

I couldn't find anywhere to do that. I converted the non-working ones to mp4, and they work now, but I can't rip any more.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Firestarter123:
Go into preferences and change the minimum length from 1800 to 1000 and try again.

I couldn't find anywhere to do that. I converted the non-working ones to mp4, and they work now, but I can't rip any more.

Tools —> Preferences

Put 1000 where I have 1000:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#22]

I have Roku, Netflix, and Paramount+, but they usually don't have what I'm wanting to watch (watch again). I have about 150 DVDs and 20 Blue-Rays, not counting multi-disk sets like TV series or movies with sequels (Star Trek, Fast + Furious, etc.).  I stream newer stuff, but it's limited, and if the internet should go down (storm blocking StarLink), I would still have all of this available through my computer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By unknow:
I did that several years ago...now I just stream everything and buy movies on Google TV when needed.

I have Roku, Netflix, and Paramount+, but they usually don't have what I'm wanting to watch (watch again). I have about 150 DVDs and 20 Blue-Rays, not counting multi-disk sets like TV series or movies with sequels (Star Trek, Fast + Furious, etc.).  I stream newer stuff, but it's limited, and if the internet should go down (storm blocking StarLink), I would still have all of this available through my computer.

Plex or Kodi ? Picking the right Home Server software is important.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By dlshady:
So, I've got another question related to this thread.  I've heard al three mentioned so far, but what's everyone's consensus on Plex vs Jellyfin vs Kodi?  I started out on Kodi because that's all I knew, but the more I've read about Jellyfin, the more impressed I am.  Watched a video the other night about building a dedicated Jellyfin server out of an old HP small desktop and I'm about ready to dive into that, unless someone can convince me that one of the other options is better.  I'll probably struggle with the actual server software part, because as soon as they start with all the damn acronyms, containers, SSH'ing into shit and PUtTY and stuff, they might as well be speaking Latin, but I'll get through it somehow.

So what's your opinion and why?
View Quote

Kodi is the best player, and has no difficulties with backend storage.

Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

amateur.

Sadly typical.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 2:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#30]
Take a picture of your Preferences screen in Handbrake and post it.

Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't really see anything odd other than you appear to be using a mapped drive (Y:).  I'd try saving them to your local drive and then moving them over.

Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#34]
The Big Bang Theory stats for the Blu-ray complete series:
Full disk backups total 904GB
The conversions using H265 10-bit with a Constant Quality setting of 22 total 296GB

I'm done...for now...wohoo!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 1:58:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#36]
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 2:13:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jakezor] [#37]
Free BluRay Ripper wasn't working, so I Uninstalled it.
I made a folder on my desktop for saving ripped Blue-Rays.
After I get them all ripped, with MakeMKV, I'll convert them to mp4 with handbrake. Since we determined that the audio is there, with VCL, I figure that they should all work like that. I just did one, and tested it, and it worked. Now I'm just going to rip everything that's left.

Oh, I have to uncheck about a million boxes before ripping. All but a very few are the same size, so if I ripped everything it would be huge.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51036/sldfear3-3063485.jpg
View Quote

FYI those many titles in the listings are done by "authors" at the publisher that are trying to stymie what they think is piracy.
Each "Title" on a bluray disc is essentially a playlist of segments (look at the right for segment map list).  Each segment is really a chunk of video.
You should be able to right click in there and do "unselect all", save you some time.

For Hacksaw Ridge there is a thread on makemkv forum about just that: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15833

Compounding this are the fact that there can be many different versions of the same movie out there.  That Hacksaw Ridge thread started in 2017 for example.

Were you going to switch to VLC to do playback or are you set on still using Media Player?   There are ways you can setup Handbrake to remove or change surround sound if you think you'll never want them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:22:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jakezor] [#39]

Were you going to switch to VLC to do playback or are you set on still using Media Player?   There are ways you can setup Handbrake to remove or change surround sound if you think you'll never want them.

No, I've never liked VLC very much. I only used it as suggested for seeing if the movie files actually had audio. Until then, I didn't think the audio part had been ripped. I will continue to use Media Player.

I'm going to move my rip folder to my NAS though, because my C drive has less than 200g free space. I use it mostly as a boot drive, and do all but temporary storage on other drives.

View Quote

Since Media Player does not handle the alternate audio tracks, I think you'd have to strip out the surround sound and leave just the stereo tracks, either when ripping with Makemkv, or when converting to mp4 with Handbrake.

ETA it is possible to setup a Profile in Handbrake to accomplish that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Jakezor:

FYI those many titles in the listings are done by "authors" at the publisher that are trying to stymie what they think is piracy.
Each "Title" on a bluray disc is essentially a playlist of segments (look at the right for segment map list).  Each segment is really a chunk of video.
You should be able to right click in there and do "unselect all", save you some time.

For Hacksaw Ridge there is a thread on makemkv forum about just that: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15833

Compounding this are the fact that there can be many different versions of the same movie out there.  That Hacksaw Ridge thread started in 2017 for example.

View Quote
Specifiying a Java JRE bin in the settings of MakeMKV will show the  correct playlist for BLu-Ray and omit the rest. (There are portable versions of Java JRE availabe so you don't have to actually install Java JRE for the whole system).

I've been sorta following this thread. I bought a license for MakeMKV. I always thought topics like were taboo but after the Playstation revokation I guess more people are seeing the light for digital media and "ownership".
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jayfe87:
Specifiying a Java JRE bin in the settings of MakeMKV will show the  correct playlist for BLu-Ray and omit the rest. (There are portable versions of Java JRE availabe so you don't have to actually install Java JRE for the whole system).

I've been sorta following this thread. I bought a license for MakeMKV. I always thought topics like were taboo but after the Playstation revokation I guess more people are seeing the light for digital media and "ownership".
View Quote

I thought i had a portable jre installed and it still showed me a ton of titles for a couple recent discs.  I'll have to check that out to make sure.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:38:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 1:20:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Ok when you go to compress them with Handbrake,  load a file and look for the audio tab:
Attachment Attached File

Pick that, then in the dropdown look for one that says AC3 2.0ch  that should be the plain stereo track.

You can setup a new preset for this if you will never use surround sound with any of those.  That way the only audio track should a regular stereo track well supported by Media Player.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:52:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I started one going. It only had 1 English AC3 5.1 ch., so I'll see how that turns out when it's done. If it works well, I'll try to do the rest in bulk.
View Quote

Hope it works!

There are ways to queue up many conversions in handbrake, but you'll need to work something out for harddrive space.

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:31:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top