Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
Yeah, I did that first one, and then realized that it adds the new file, rather than replacing it. I'll have to convert one, delete the original, etc. I'll start working on it again tomorrow.

Edit - I even got a warning, for being low on space;

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51036/NAS-3065971.jpg
View Quote

I'm afraid you will have to upgrade your NAS.  I got a 64-bit Synology NAS to handle the 45TB volume needed to handle my stuff.

Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to rip the entire DVD in Linux then mount and play it as if the CD was in the drive.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:56:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Hope someone can help OP with adding the HDD, I'm too new at this to give a good answer.

My server is beginning to progress. I received the drive recommended by RoccoOnFire from his homeless guys' neighbor's Amazon link and was able to flash it with new firmware. Went from WH16NS40_1.05 to WH16NS60_1.02 as instructed in the guide previously posted. I was finally able to start ripping Blu-rays! I also realized I might have massively over estimated how much storage I need. I was calculating based on the 30GB / disc. After using HandBrake to transcode to .mp4 my file size shrunk from 30GB to just under 3GB. Considering my sever will have over 85 TiB of usable space after I finish assembling everything in the rack (and accounting for parity disks) I think I'll be set for quite a while. Unfortunately, I do not yet own 29,000 Blu-rays

I did run into a problem though. My drive is reading Blu-rays ok but it no longer detects standard DVDs. I can put a standard DVD in the drive and it will try to read it but the drive reports back that it does not detect a disc. I have not yet tried a 4K disk. I have a large number of standard DVDs mixed in with my Blu-rays. Is there any fix for this? Do I have to flash back to original firmware every time I want to do a standard DVD?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:20:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#7]
If the NAS is set up to use SHR (which it appears to be from an earlier screenshot you posted) then putting the drive in *should* cause the array to automatically expand.  It'll probably take 8-12 hours to complete though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I've only ever used Handbrake to convert TV shows, however, it doesn't name the files either.

I wind up figuring out which is which by comparing the episode list per disc to what is in the list that Handbrake found.  Some such more than others like Warehouse 13 where it took a lot of effort to figure out which episode was which.

Ripping TV shows suck compared to movies.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, so no easy way to figure it out. Maybe I'll delete those eight files, and do it over one file at a time. That way at least I can be sure in what order they were ripped.

Thanks.
View Quote

Generally, I've looked for the top X number of titles (episodes on the disc) in sequence that are the correct length and then go from there.  Some studios do things to mess with you though like with Warehouse 13 and then it's a PITA.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#13]
TV shows can be a pain in the ass to identify. They're usually in order, but I always play the episode to see if there is a title or if I recognize the episode. I just did Penny Dreadful and there are usually 4 episodes per disc. The first two episodes were in order. The last two were swapped.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:01:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#16]
What software are you using to rip OP?
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Of course the next one try has even less info. The disks don't say how many episodes are on them, and the name/number system is different. I'm going to start with just the top one, and see what I get.

Edit - The big B file is five episodes, without credits, and the C files are the episodes. Pretty easy, with them in order like that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51036/Reign_Titles-3082702.jpg
View Quote

Just saw this. Are you ripping a series(TV)?
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm using makeMKV, and yesterday I ripped the Firefly series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBZrZij2-g8

Today I've been working on the Reign series, and I just started season three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCRZ6WJvVCc
View Quote

Are you using kodi to play them? Or plex or something else. I recommend kodi.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#21]
On TV episodes i usually only rip 2-3 at a time unless they are labeled well on the disc and are easily discernible. Im not sure how the scraper works on plex but for kodi I make sure toncheck IMDB(for movies) and the TVDB(for series) for proper naming in order to have kodi “scrape” the proper artwork and information so kodi can easily organize it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I found Handbrake easier to discern episodes than MakeMKV.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 4:12:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#24]
I'm assuming that even with my new HDD, I won't have enough space to rip all of my series. After Reign, I'm trying to decide between Star Trek TOS, or Miami Vice.
View Quote

For Bluray, 1 hour of content is about 10GB of data. Ultra HD is around 25-30GB of data. If you reduce the quality with handbrake, you can reduce the file size a good amount.

I rip content at full quality. I don't want to rip it again in the future and HDD space is cheap enough.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 4:33:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#25]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I actually just deleted 9TB of remuxes as I just don’t see a difference between them and a high bitrate H265 rip on my Sony Master Series A90J OLED.

I have the space to o store them but I just didn’t see a reason to keep them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm hopeful that I can figure that part out, since I've never done any of this before. That would sure be convenient.

I'm in too deep to switch now. I have a basic grasp on what I'm already doing, so I need to stick with it.    I'm assuming that even with my new HDD, I won't have enough space to rip all of my series. After Reign, I'm trying to decide between Star Trek TOS, or Miami Vice.
View Quote

I personally only like handbrake to change the format or compress videos. MakeMKV is superior for straight up ripping IMO. I may be biased but that is my opinion. I own both programs BTW and have used both. Ive used makeMKV extensively and handbrake when I need to get videos out of the mkv container and put them into mp4 format or something like that to play on others peoples devices. Make MKV should be your goto ripping software. If plex becomes a problem for you I am fairly handy at kodi if you have questions.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I appreciate that. Having help during a learning process is always a good thing.

A while back I started putting the new rips in a separate folder, because it quit playing the audio unless I used VLC to watch them. I don't like VLC, so that's out. I noticed today that some new rips will play audio, so when I'm done ripping I'll have to go through and see which ones work. Those will get transferred to the primary folder, and the rest will get converted to mp4 first.
View Quote

I have never had an audio problem using makeMKV to rip and kodi to manage the video. Im guessing makeMKV is not the problem unless you are accidentally removing the audio tracts. The only problem I have ever had was skipping on UHD 4k videos. Turned out my video card was not up to the task and replaced that and have been problem free. MakeMKV is super easy to use and very versatile. Granted I have the one time paid version(which may be no different than the free I dont know). It easily allows me to strip out all the subtitles, foreign languages and intro and closing credit garbage. Typically I can streamline down a 24ish GB HD video to under 20GB by de selecting all the crap I dont need/want. Ive become pretty good at it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By talontsi_95:

I have never had an audio problem using makeMKV to rip and kodi to manage the video. Im guessing makeMKV is not the problem unless you are accidentally removing the audio tracts. The only problem I have ever had was skipping on UHD 4k videos. Turned out my video card was not up to the task and replaced that and have been problem free. MakeMKV is super easy to use and very versatile. Granted I have the one time paid version(which may be no different than the free I dont know). It easily allows me to strip out all the subtitles, foreign languages and intro and closing credit garbage. Typically I can streamline down a 24ish GB HD video to under 20GB by de selecting all the crap I dont need/want. Ive become pretty good at it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By talontsi_95:
I appreciate that. Having help during a learning process is always a good thing.

A while back I started putting the new rips in a separate folder, because it quit playing the audio unless I used VLC to watch them. I don't like VLC, so that's out. I noticed today that some new rips will play audio, so when I'm done ripping I'll have to go through and see which ones work. Those will get transferred to the primary folder, and the rest will get converted to mp4 first.

The RIP folder then if transcoding make an ENCODED folder is a good idea for keeping track.

Thought we determined earlier that his favored player (WMP) wouldn't or couldn't handle multiple audio tracks.  Can deal with that in MakeMKV when ripping or Handbrake if transcoding.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Jakezor:

The RIP folder then if transcoding make an ENCODED folder is a good idea for keeping track.

Thought we determined earlier that his favored player (WMP) wouldn't or couldn't handle multiple audio tracks.  Can deal with that in MakeMKV when ripping or Handbrake if transcoding.
View Quote

I havent seen the thread since the 1st pageish. Just saw it again.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Yes, the audio is there. WMP won't play it, but VLC will. I just don't like VLC, so I'll convert them rather be stuck using VLC.
View All Quotes

Yes, the audio is there. WMP won't play it, but VLC will. I just don't like VLC, so I'll convert them rather be stuck using VLC.

If you only rip the stereo audio track (or which ever you can play) then you won't have to convert them other than for space.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#35]

It plays on some, but not others, so I can't figure that out.
View Quote

That is even stranger, it shouldnt be changing how the audio is converted disc to disc that much, at least for stereo.

If the extra step of converting with handbrake gets you a playable and smaller for ile then it's probably worth the time and effort.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Who's still ripping dvds and blurays like it's 2012?

Sonarr/radarr/sabnzbd/overseerr is what people use these days I hear.

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By pmo12:

https://cdn.daily-sun.com/public/news_images/2021/08/14/Daily-sun-9.jpg
View Quote

There’s room for both and believe it or not some things aren’t available on the high seas.

I can also rip things to my liking rather than what someone else wanted. I really don’t need Russian subtitles for example and even though I wrote an app to utilize ffmpeg to remove them recursively from all videos in a directory I’d still rather just rip things myself if possible.

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By pmo12:

https://cdn.daily-sun.com/public/news_images/2021/08/14/Daily-sun-9.jpg
View Quote

In my experience its people who arent foolish enough to think the movies they “own” will always be there or always be available. And of course there is the fact that you can actually get great video and audio compared to almost any streamed version.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#40]

I'm guessing that's streaming/online stuff, that someone can take away with a click. I'm not wanting to use a service; I'm wanting to watch what I bought and own, without relying on internet service and online companies. This is simply to save me from having to put the disks in the player.
View Quote

Those are not streaming services.

They provide files you can keep, not a data stream.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I heard about this from my cousin, thought it could help some folks out: https://www.filebot.net/
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I heard about this from my cousin, thought it could help some folks out: https://www.filebot.net/
View Quote

I love Filebot!  I did dozens of TV shows and hundreds of movies by hand before I found it.  It's not perfect but it's really, really good.

Here's what I use for file naming masks....
Movies - {n.upper().space('_').replace('&','AND')}__{y}___{vf.upper()}
TV - {n.upper().space('_').replace('&','AND').replace("_($y)",'')}__{y}___{vf.upper()} - {s00e00}
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
I use DVD CATalyst  which will rip everything but the Disney stuff.
Unfortunately,  its no longer available i think, and I kinda dread the day the computer its on dies.

So this is my tag for ideas
View Quote

Clone your hdd to a cheap spare using freeware like R-drive and keep your eyes open for an identical mobo/cpu setup.
If hdd fails, swap in clone.
If pc fails swap hardware.
Run forever.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:14:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:27:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dlshady] [#47]
What's everyone's opinion on the best value on bulk storage going right now?  My little 8TB NAS filled up pretty quickly and I'd really like to go ahead and finish ripping all my stuff.  Eventually I'd like to set up a much larger NAS but don't want to spend that much money right now.  Looks like I can get a 16TB WD Essentials external drive on Amazon for about $260 but that's about as far as I've looked.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By dlshady:
What's everyone's opinion on the best value on bulk storage going right now?  My little 8TB NAS filled up pretty quickly and I'd really like to go ahead and finish ripping all my stuff.  Eventually I'd like to set up a much larger NAS but don't want to spend that much money right now.  Looks like I can get a 16TB WD Essentials external drive on Amazon for about $260 but that's about as far as I've looked.
View Quote

@dlshady

Server Part Deals is my go to nowadays.
https://serverpartdeals.com/

After that I have had good luck with TechoDealsUSA.
https://technodealsusa.com/

I will no longer buy from GoHardDrive as 8 out of 18 Exos (new) drives that I've ordered from them have gotten reallocated sectors at anywhere from 24hrs to 3 weeks.  While they replace them it's a huge PITA to constantly have a degraded array that's being rebuilt.

I've spent ~$5K at Server Part Deals in the last month for work and have zero regrets.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Firestarter123:

@dlshady

I will no longer buy from GoHardDrive as 8 out of 18 Exos (new) drives that I've ordered from them have gotten reallocated sectors at anywhere from 24hrs to 3 weeks.  While they replace them it's a huge PITA to constantly have a degraded array that's being rebuilt.

I've spent ~$5K at Server Part Deals in the last month for work and have zero regrets.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Firestarter123:

@dlshady

Thanks!  I had looked at their website (serverpartsdeals) once before but couldn't recall the address for the life of me.  I'll look into it tonight.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

If you want to build your own, the below links are a good place to see different types of drives and their failure rates.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q3-2023/

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/the-drive-stats-of-backblaze-storage-pods/
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top