Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 101
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of YouTube personalities seem to think this is the start of McLaren’s 2024 domination (my words). I’m skeptical. They seem to be forgetting that Lando wasn’t gaining on Max prior to the SC; he was tucked in behind Perez. From my POV, it looked like Lando was “gifted” the win via the SC and Max going wide into 14. I haven’t seen it mentioned outside of ARFCOM, but I suspect Max had floor damage as a result of that turn 14 incident.

I think McLaren took a step forward, but I’m not convinced this race was representative of how big of a step they took.I guess we’ll see in Italy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Taboot:
I'm so happy for Lando.   He won properly today.  Max was awesome in his grace.  As was Alonso and DRic.
View Quote

That was good to see by all that went and congratulated him and the team.

I went back and watched the ends of both Silverstone and Brazil in 2022 when SAI and RUS won their firsts. It seems like they must have changed something in between then and now. I didn’t see nearly as many other drivers coming up to give congratulations. Before I watched it I figured SAI would have gotten treated like NOR because he had been in the sport a lot longer than RUS.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:15:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RRA_223] [#3]
Originally Posted By onealphay2k:

Agreed, yet they didn't even review Ham's Torpedo the day before where he took out a bunch of cars.  That is the double standard that most find Disgusting.
View Quote

So the Stewards almost NEVER penalize a Lap 1, Turn 1 dust up.   There were just too many variables.   Yes, Lewis took a risky move down the inside but the door was open as they say - he over-shot the apex (just as Perez did in the race), but the issue with the cars getting banged up is that they were 4-wide into the funnel.    

If you watch the replay (without bias), Alonso was on the inside but he left a LOT of room.   Stroll was cutting Alonso off, and Alonso's front left tire was basically inside Stroll's rear tire before Hamilton even showed up.   Hamilton took up the space that Alonso *might* have been able to turn into, but it really looks like Stroll was on his way to taking Alonso out regardless.

Stroll closed the door on his team mate - Stroll hit Alonzo and pushed him INTO Hamilton on review - but with Hamilton on the inside Alonzo definitely had no where to go.   Norris just got fucked.   Stroll was DNF from the damage of Alonzo's front right wheel being shoved up into his guts.   Norris was probably getting fucked either way, but Hamilton being on the inside certainly kept it interesting - the contentious part is Hamilton over-shooting the Apex; which he did, but the contact had already happened at that point and - if you watch the video - Stroll and Alonzo were tangled up just as Lewis was a wheel ahead of Alonzo, suggesting he had every right to the space.   MAYBE Alonzo could have avoided Stroll if Hamilton wasn't there, but you're talking fractions of a second.   I think that contact happens no matter where Hamilton is, more often than not, given Stroll vs Alonzo.  

Aggressive move for sure, but that's racing.  In the same way that Verstappen runs everyone off the track at the start to protect the first position, and it's just accepted.   Shit happens at Turn 1.  

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/video.2024-miami-gp-sprint-norris-out-on-lap-1-after-four-car-squeeze-at-first-corner.1798142791223545711.html
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sledhead907:
Lots of YouTube personalities seem to think this is the start of McLaren’s 2024 domination (my words). I’m skeptical. They seem to be forgetting that Lando wasn’t gaining on Max prior to the SC; he was tucked in behind Perez. From my POV, it looked like Lando was “gifted” the win via the SC and Max going wide into 14. I haven’t seen it mentioned outside of ARFCOM, but I suspect Max had floor damage as a result of that turn 14 incident.

I think McLaren took a step forward, but I’m not convinced this race was representative of how big of a step they took.I guess we’ll see in Italy.
View Quote

One of the McLaren guys said in an interview yesterday that the upgrades will be more of an improvement at other tracks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Teamer:

That was good to see by all that went and congratulated him and the team.

I went back and watched the ends of both Silverstone and Brazil in 2022 when SAI and RUS won their firsts. It seems like they must have changed something in between then and now. I didn’t see nearly as many other drivers coming up to give congratulations. Before I watched it I figured SAI would have gotten treated like NOR because he had been in the sport a lot longer than RUS.
View Quote

Norris is a universally liked driver, because of his "aw shucks" demeanor and perception of humility.   Russell is a much more polarizing personality, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were as simple as one driver being far more well liked than the others.  

I started to think it's because it's been several years for Lando, or maybe it was unexpected given McLaren's performance the past few years - but Saintz had it worse in both departments.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

Turn 1 at almost every race has someone locking up or slamming on the brakes and losing momentum or going wide.  That’s just the nature of the sport and circuits.  They aren’t going to hand out penalties at every race because someone made someone else have to slow down to avoid contact.  They simply can’t.  Not sure why you’re so fixated on the Perez thing and can’t see the difference between penalties for contact and non-contact, but it’s over.  Done.
View Quote

I’m so fixated because some always get a free pass while other get penalized at every slight thing.

Animal farm
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Simpletons who don’t understand the importance of tires

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RRA_223:

So the Stewards almost NEVER penalize a Lap 1, Turn 1 dust up.  ... snip
View Quote
@Mars87 posted the link to a Reddit thread some pages back that proves otherwise.
Although I just went back to look at it again and it looks like the mods scrubbed it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Shung:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Understood. Also, Max was 11 seconds behind Lando at the SC. But, because the SC picked up the incorrect person, Lando was “gifted” a free stop under the SC.

This was a perfect storm, which helped Lando. Maybe he would’ve won anyway. But again, I’m skeptical given pre-SC lap times.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:30:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RRA_223] [#10]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
@Mars87 posted the link to a Reddit thread some pages back that proves otherwise.
Although I just went back to look at it again and it looks like the mods scrubbed it.
View Quote

I'm sorry your girl lost, but I was speaking generally.   The announcers repeat the same shit every race, paraphrasing the same idea: "a racing incident" is MUCH more tolerated there than at any other point in a race.   Any penalties on a Lap 1, Turn 1 incident PROBABLY involve very specific, car-vs-car contact.

Like Bottas rear-ending someone because he locked up his brakes.   Those scenarios will virtually ALWAYS incur specific "Driver 1 demolished Driver 2's car" outcomes.   And the part you snipped from my quote pointed out that both Astons were already entangled by the time Hamilton showed up.

Cliff notes:  Stroll ran over Alonzo.  After the initial contact, Alonzo made lesser contact with Hamilton and Stroll took out Norris' rear tire, causing him to spin off track.   Stroll was out of the race due to the extensive damage he took.  Something-something-Hamilton's-Fault.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mars87:

Lando was faster on his old mediums than Max was on new hards. He extended the gap over Max every lap until the SC. Play the race out without the SC and there is a very legitimate chance Lando pits for new hards and still over takes Max. Lando was faster than Max every lap from lap 19 until the end. The overcut was super strong at Miami.
View Quote

And now it sounds like the bollard did damage to the floor of Max's car.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Once again you win.
View Quote

Look I seldom agree with Shung, but he's right in this regards.

Damage to Max's Floor didn't help.  But the safety idiocy fucked the grid pretty good.  Lando should have bought a lottery ticket after yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By poison123:

And now it sounds like the bollard did damage to the floor of Max's car.
View Quote

I said that on the last page.

The fact remains Lando was faster than Max every lap once Perez got of the way to pit on lap 18 or 19.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#15]

The on board from Alonzo was very illustrative
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:02:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mars87] [#16]

The on board from Alonzo was very illustrative
View Quote

The picture of Lewis trying to pull a hero move gives context as to why Alonso and Stroll had contact.

ETA - Lewis had zero chance of holding his line at the apex and ruins three others day. Pick your favorite reason why he doesn’t get a penalty.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Although my favorite K-pop artist waving the flag was a cool crossover.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:
View Quote

LISA

SINGER
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:
View Quote
Thanks for that! We were all looking at each other like "Who the fuck is Lisa?"
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Lots of YouTube personalities seem to think this is the start of McLaren's 2024 domination (my words). I'm skeptical. They seem to be forgetting that Lando wasn't gaining on Max prior to the SC; he was tucked in behind Perez. From my POV, it looked like Lando was "gifted" the win via the SC and Max going wide into 14. I haven't seen it mentioned outside of ARFCOM, but I suspect Max had floor damage as a result of that turn 14 incident.

I think McLaren took a step forward, but I'm not convinced this race was representative of how big of a step they took.I guess we'll see in Italy.
View Quote

YouTube personalities need comments/likes/subscribes/controversy so of course they take any sign of improvement as "EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT!!"

Remember when RBR struggled at Singapore last year and people were claiming it was the end of Red Bull's dominance?  How'd that turn out?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

I have reached an age where I really need detailed captions as I just don't know who any of these people are.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Esterhase:

I have reached an age where I really need detailed captions as I just don't know who any of these people are.
View All Quotes

We were hoping it was some rando pulled from the crowd.
"Hey! You! What's your name? Lisa? What do you do? Perfect. Stand here and wave this when we tell you ..."
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#24]
"Hey! You! What's your name? Lisa? What do you do? Perfect. Stand here and wave this when we tell you ..."
View All Quotes

It would be more interesting to be honest. 😁
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By D_J:

Still there.  There is almost no editing in this thread from me or the mods.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By D_J:

So the Stewards almost NEVER penalize a Lap 1, Turn 1 dust up.  ... snip

Still there.  There is almost no editing in this thread from me or the mods.
Sorry D_J, what I meant was the Reddit mods nuked the OP in the Reddit thread. Of course, nothing like that would be done here.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Fuckin nailed it.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
Fuckin nailed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OdFLpznvfM

View Quote

Nando beating Fangio in 1952 😁
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Asked if the free pit stop helped Norris to the win, Verstappen replied: “I mean, it’s always if, if, if, right? If my mum had balls, she would be my dad.

“So, yeah. I mean, it’s how it goes to racing. Sometimes it works out for you, sometimes it doesn’t.”

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:
Asked if the free pit stop helped Norris to the win, Verstappen replied: “I mean, it’s always if, if, if, right? If my mum had balls, she would be my dad.

“So, yeah. I mean, it’s how it goes to racing. Sometimes it works out for you, sometimes it doesn’t.”

View Quote

Love the response.

If Max isn’t getting wound up about it, half the folks in this thread shouldn’t either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

Love the response.

If Max isn’t getting wound up about it, half the folks in this thread shouldn’t either.
View Quote

Max is great at giving no bullshit answers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:44:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OHBuckeyes] [#32]

On much fresher tires and floor damage to Max? Yes.
View Quote

Doubtful, there was barely any passing out there, way too much aero loss through the corners. We will never know though.

If you are so confident on McLaren's upgrades, want to make a bet for next race?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Asked if the free pit stop helped Norris to the win, Verstappen replied: "I mean, it's always if, if, if, right? If my mum had balls, she would be my dad.

"So, yeah. I mean, it's how it goes to racing. Sometimes it works out for you, sometimes it doesn't."

View Quote

But Max ... what would we argue about on the internet if we didn't "what if" every thing that happened throughout the race? Huh?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By OHBuckeyes:

Doubtful, there was barely any passing out there, way too much aero loss through the corners. We will never know though.

If you are so confident on McLaren's upgrades, want to make a bet for next race?
View Quote

I don’t bet on sports. I also never made any comment on their upgrades other than to relay what Landos race engineer said.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Love the response.

View Quote

It's fandom. And there's a lot of it in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Ultimately, the race is over and the results stand.  People can argue until the end of time where or not Lando would have won without the SC, but it’s completely meaningless now.  Same with the penalties.  Either get pissed off enough that you stop watching, or suck it up.  Imola in two weeks.  We’ll see how McLaren does there, as well as other teams who bring upgrades.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By willi3d:
Ultimately, the race is over and the results stand.  People can argue until the end of time where or not Lando would have won without the SC, but it’s completely meaningless now.  Same with the penalties.  Either get pissed off enough that you stop watching, or suck it up.  Imola in two weeks.  We’ll see how McLaren does there, as well as other teams who bring upgrades.
View Quote

I can say one thing, these 2 breaks between races sucks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

The F1 carnival takes 2 weeks to move and set up. Add to that the races bouncing 2000+ miles between each circuit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:46:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chaas67] [#40]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

The F1 carnival takes 2 weeks to move and set up. Add to that the races bouncing 2000+ miles between each circuit.
View All Quotes

I get that but I don’t recall last year being this way.

F1 needs to have a better travel coordinator because you’re right they are bouncing all over the place. Going from Miami back to Italy just sounds nuts to me.

This isn’t being green!! 🤪
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Asked if the free pit stop helped Norris to the win, Verstappen replied: "I mean, it's always if, if, if, right? If my mum had balls, she would be my dad.

"So, yeah. I mean, it's how it goes to racing. Sometimes it works out for you, sometimes it doesn't."

View Quote
From the same interview, about the cone, what happened there?

"I didn't like it. So I decided to take it out. And also test the durability of the front wing. So yeah, crash test done."
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#42]
An older controversy - probably one of the biggest - is discussed by Hunt and Walker. I do miss these days. These two complemented each other so well.

James Hunt blames Alain Prost for 1990 Suzuka crash with Ayrton Senna
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Mid-season testing?

Max Verstappen Jokes About Hitting the Cone in the Miami Grand Prix

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:43:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#44]

I said that on the last page.

The fact remains Lando was faster than Max every lap once Perez got of the way to pit on lap 18 or 19.
View Quote

By how much though ? He was barely .1 per lap faster than sainz. He went from 5 sec to 4.3 seconds over the course of 6-7 laps.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:52:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mars87] [#45]

By how much though ? He was barely .1 per lap faster than sainz. He went from 5 sec to 4.3 seconds over the course of 6-7 laps.
View Quote

Nice edit. To address your pre-edited reply, Max had four laps on his tires before the SC came out. Let’s not act like those tires were washed.

ETA - And now you’re talking about Sainz when the topic was about speed relative to Max.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

IIRC, they have multiple set ups that get shipped separately so that the setup at Miami isn't the same set that will be set up in Italy.  and then the Miami setup will be shipped on for a future race aftery Italy.

so, only the critical stuff like the cars and parts get air-shipped directly to the next race.  all the ancilary bits go slow boat because another set is already showing up in Italy in the next week.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#47]

Nice edit. To address your first reply, Max had four laps on his tires before the SC came out. Let’s not act like those tires were washed.
View Quote

I edited because I misread your post initially
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:56:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#48]

Nice edit. To address your first reply, Max had four laps on his tires before the SC came out. Let’s not act like those tires were washed.
View Quote

Yes, but at this point you don’t push on those tires. The goal is to bring them in the good window so that they will then last for longer and perform.
So it’s all management, while lando was squeezing the hell out his mediums. (that were also preserved by going slow for the first 15 laps of so)

If you do that and then a safety car comes, and they cool down, you will never get them back.

Ps: my answer was edited because I misread/misunderstood your post.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm sure there's absolutely no need to re-post a Kym video, he has the best behind-the-scenes takes, and everyone
here probably already sees his videos, but this one was quite good.
He really captured all the post race activity in a great way.
And he's got a good bit on Trump and is very fair about it. Of course, he admits to not following American politics,
but comments on how negative all the comments are on IG, but also how many likes his photo got on IG.

Kym really rises above all the BS and IMO remains the best F1 YT guy.

Lando Norris' FIRST F1 WIN at the MIAMI GP!

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:

IIRC, they have multiple set ups that get shipped separately so that the setup at Miami isn't the same set that will be set up in Italy.  and then the Miami setup will be shipped on for a future race aftery Italy.

so, only the critical stuff like the cars and parts get air-shipped directly to the next race.  all the ancilary bits go slow boat because another set is already showing up in Italy in the next week.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:

The logistics of F1 are pretty amazing. Quite a few videos on YouTube about it.
Page / 101
Top Top