Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 101
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tifosi:
@Mars87 posted the link to a Reddit thread some pages back that proves otherwise.
Although I just went back to look at it again and it looks like the mods scrubbed it.
View Quote

He said ALMOST never.  It has to be something really stupid to get penalized  for a turn one lap 1 incident.  99% of the time it is written off as a racing incident.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

Love the response.

If Max isn’t getting wound up about it, half the folks in this thread shouldn’t either.
View Quote

Nah bud.  Whats winding up people is those saying Norris had it in the bag no matter what etc etc and "this isn't even a good track for the upgrades
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Mars87:

The picture of Lewis trying to pull a hero move gives context as to why Alonso and Stroll had contact.

ETA - Lewis had zero chance of holding his line at the apex and ruins three others day. Pick your favorite reason why he doesn’t get a penalty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RRA_223:

The on board from Alonzo was very illustrative

The picture of Lewis trying to pull a hero move gives context as to why Alonso and Stroll had contact.

ETA - Lewis had zero chance of holding his line at the apex and ruins three others day. Pick your favorite reason why he doesn’t get a penalty.

This. There was only one way that ended.  Ham should know there would be at least one car to the outside of Alonso, even if he couldn't see it.  He should also know that space he was aiming for was closing and he was never going to be able to hold the apex with his entry speed and line he was on.  It was a reckless move.

The wheel banging between Alonso and Stroll was a racing incident and very well could have been a result of Alonso seeing Ham on a collision course in his mirror.  I don't think Stroll can be blamed for that contact and he definitely didn't push Alonso into Hamilton.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Just had a chance to watch this race - it’s pretty clear McLaren made an improvement but landos win is 100% due to verstappens mistake then compounded by insane luck.

No the McLaren isn’t matching Red Bulls speed. Yes brown says whatever but he is a shit stirrer by nature.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:
Asked if the free pit stop helped Norris to the win, Verstappen replied: “I mean, it’s always if, if, if, right? If my mum had balls, she would be my dad.

“So, yeah. I mean, it’s how it goes to racing. Sometimes it works out for you, sometimes it doesn’t.”

View Quote

I am liking Max a bit more, video at the link.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By poison123:

And now it sounds like the bollard did damage to the floor of Max's car.
View All Quotes

Lando was faster on his old mediums than Max was on new hards. He extended the gap over Max every lap until the SC. Play the race out without the SC and there is a very legitimate chance Lando pits for new hards and still over takes Max. Lando was faster than Max every lap from lap 19 until the end. The overcut was super strong at Miami.

It was probably the curb he ran over to hit the bollard, not the bollard itself.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#7]

I know a lot of us suspected this be the case, but this seems to confirm.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Red Bull will be back. They always go well at imola.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:39:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anesvick] [#9]
Originally Posted By sledhead907:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72631/IMG_2748-3207584.png

View Quote
Horner is probably lying his ass off.. his lips are moving.  After all these years I still can't say if I hate him or Toto more.  They make Flavio and Ron Dennis look like good guys.

The good part is, we will know if this was luck or car development in the next few races.  Would be fun to at least see Max sweat a little, and they need to lose Perez before it costs them the constructors.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:48:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fike] [#10]
Originally Posted By not_sure:

It was probably the curb he ran over to hit the bollard, not the bollard itself.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By not_sure:

Lando was faster on his old mediums than Max was on new hards. He extended the gap over Max every lap until the SC. Play the race out without the SC and there is a very legitimate chance Lando pits for new hards and still over takes Max. Lando was faster than Max every lap from lap 19 until the end. The overcut was super strong at Miami.

It was the base the bollard was attached to.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By anesvick:
Horner is probably lying his ass off.. his lips are moving.  After all these years I still can't say if I hate him or Toto more.  They make Flavio and Ron Dennis look like good guys.

The good part is, we will know if this was luck or car development in the next few races.  Would be fun to at least see Max sweat a little, and they need to lose Perez before it costs them the constructors.
View All Quotes

It’s all just typical bullshit, hype, hopeful speculation, etc. that we always see with a sample size of one.

And it is the same “floor damage” response from Red Bull.

Until we see a sustained 3-5 race trend, it’s all just noise.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:55:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fike:

It’s all just typical bullshit, hype, hopeful speculation, etc. that we always see with a sample size of one.

And it is the same “floor damage” response from Red Bull.

Until we see a sustained 3-5 race trend, it’s all just noise.
View Quote

True. But it’s also a fact that both Ferrari with no updates at all ended up in front of Perez, and that leclerc all week end was 2~3 sec behind max. This combination of track and temp suited Ferrari better and prolly red Bull less.

The situation before the safety car is prolly a truer indicator than after too.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:14:41 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

]they are telling me that someone having to push 105% to stay ahead can make mistake ? No way.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:26:58 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Looking at the graph of Verstappen performance there is no indicative decrease off lap time consecutive to the impact with the curb..
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Ehh I'm not necessarily buying the cone damage theory, Max wasn't building much of a gap lap over lap over Piastri in the first 20 laps.

I'm not saying Redbull is washed, it was a street circuit so who knows what Mclaren's true pace is. I hope that going forward Mclaren's pace is real, and that Ferrari's Imola upgrades work well enough so both of them can put pressure on Redbull and snag a win when RBR doesn't have a perfect weekend.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DCV_117:
Ehh I'm not necessarily buying the cone damage theory, Max wasn't building much of a gap lap over lap over Piastri in the first 20 laps.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GM-GTs_XcAArQhC?format=jpg&name=large

I'm not saying Redbull is washed, it was a street circuit so who knows what Mclaren's true pace is. I hope that going forward Mclaren's pace is real, and that Ferrari's Imola upgrades work well enough so both of them can put pressure on Redbull and snag a win when RBR doesn't have a perfect weekend.
View Quote

FWIW, GP was pushing Max into management as soon as he broke 1S on LEC/PIA.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:22:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stampkolektor] [#17]
im an RB and Max fan, but I am also a Lando fan. So it was nice for him to get his first.

Piastri was impressive keeping the Ferraris at bay.

Sainz whining is unbearable to watch. Just stfu and drive, then he plows into Piastri.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Shung:

]they are telling me that someone having to push 105% to stay ahead can make mistake ? No way.
View Quote

This is exactly it. That chicane was catching people out all weekend. An uncharacteristic mistake by Max. That's probably used them all up for this season...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GM-GTs_XcAArQhC?format=jpg&name=large

Yep.  The data means nothing without knowing the team's tire management strategy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:13:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mars87] [#20]
Max all but acknowledged Norris was going to win the race when GP told him Norris stayed out when the SC came out. When Max was told this his reply was “fuck.”  Seems to be the word of the day.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I hope that going forward Mclaren's pace is real, and that Ferrari's Imola upgrades work well enough so both of them can put pressure on Redbull and snag a win when RBR doesn't have a perfect weekend.
View Quote

Which is an honest assessment and the realistic hope that can be taken out of a single weekend.

Unfortunately, with all of the hype, clickbait, and outright horse shit that gets pushed, the average F1 fan gets lead down an unrealistic path of hope on a weekly basis.

I bring it up as it has become particularly nutty over the last few weeks (on X, etc.).
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Because F1 is cool again..

I shot in a USPSA match Sunday.  The RO for my squad had on a Verstappen shirt and we jabbered about the racing in Miami and were headed home to watch the GP after the match.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

I shot in a USPSA match Sunday.  The RO for my squad had on a Verstappen shirt and we jabbered about the racing in Miami and were headed home to watch the GP after the match.
View Quote

I find it fascinating. I started watching F1 full seasons in 2010. For the longest time I was used to being the only one in the know. Now I come across F1 fans regularly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By fredegar:

I find it fascinating. I started watching F1 full seasons in 2010. For the longest time I was used to being the only one in the know. Now I come across F1 fans regularly.
View Quote

The funny one is my son.  He loves it.  He has taught himself the history such as Senna's death which was LONG before he was born, how that changed the cars and racing etc.  He knows the stats and follows all the teams.  

I am still beating him in our ARFCOM league.  LOL
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:08:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#26]
So apparently Ferrari is up for 200km filming day in fiorano this week.

Incidentally they will be using their SF-24 version B filming days

LoL
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:12:56 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

That's when I started watching every race too, it was only on SPEED and Bob Varsha commentated. None of my friends started watching it until 2019, which was when the first Drive to Survive season came out.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Imola bringing back more gravel traps, every track needs to do this!

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#29]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GNCzIStXAAA3iIS?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Yessssss ! And ban the Paul Riccard from the calendar !
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Hmmmmm no further announcements on what Newy is doing yet......
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#31]
New Lollipopman, Part 1 of 2!

Miami GP 2024 - Part 1 | Highlights | Formula 1 Comedy
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Hmmmmm no further announcements on what Newy is doing yet......
View Quote

With his concentration being the final development and (more importantly) sales of the RB17, I can imagine a stipulation that any announcement would come after that work is completed.

It wouldn’t help sales if he, for instance, announced he was moving to Ferrari….

It isn’t exactly a great time to try to sell a $5 million track car, but it would “move some iron” if this was in fact his final automotive project.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
I wonder if some of those areas were destroyed by the flooding and it was just easier to go gravel.
Otherwise, I can't see why they would tear up perfectly good asphalt.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Enjoy a lap around the Imola of old with Derek Warwick in the Arrows from 1989. Interesting to note almost no pushrod movement; all of the compliance is in the chassis and tires. His gear changes are a thing of beauty. I know we can't go back, but I do miss seeing them work like this. You get a real feel for run from the start/finish all the way down to Tosa. Pour homme.

F1, Imola 1989 - Derek Warwick OnBoard
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Roland-G23:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLQRjXHX_9M
View Quote

To be honest, kind of drawn out.  The Max comedy club segment wasn’t funny.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

To be honest, kind of drawn out.  The Max comedy club segment wasn't funny.
View All Quotes

To be honest, kind of drawn out.  The Max comedy club segment wasn't funny.

Yeah he needs to stick with shorter videos about funny things that happen at the track.  His sense of humor just doesn't play well sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Probably one of his best ones yet, imo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By drewptwo:
Looks like things are escalating a bit on the Andretti front.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/us-house-judiciary-committee-chairman-opens-probe-into-f1s-andretti-rejection/10608199/
View Quote

I'm not convinced this is going to do them any favors.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#40]

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/us-house-judiciary-committee-chairman-opens-probe-into-f1s-andretti-rejection/10608199/
View Quote

I’m sure that Liberty and the FIA are quaking in their boots because some group of publicity seeking Congress critters opens a “probe”.  What exactly is Congress going to do?  Pass a law saying that Andretti has to be included?  File a federal lawsuit against the FIA and Liberty?  Cancel all the races in the U.S. unless Andretti gets in?  Guess nothing else is going on in the U.S. that Congress needs to be working on.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#41]

That's when I started watching every race too, it was only on SPEED and Bob Varsha commentated. None of my friends started watching it until 2019, which was when the first Drive to Survive season came out.
View All Quotes

In the early 80's, ESPN would televise the races about a week after the actual race.  It wasn't great, but it was better than nothing.
Fortunately, AutoWeek would have a write-up when it arrived on Wednesday.
Before AutoWeek, you had to wait months for the race to show up in Road&Track.
We've got it great now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Esterhase:

View All Quotes

I can easily see Congress doing something that screws up all the hard work F1 has been doing to grow
the sport here. They are not the solution providers they fancy themselves to be.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jmt1991:

In the early 80's, ESPN would televise the races about a week after the actual race.  It wasn't great, but it was better than nothing.
We've got it great now.
View Quote
I don't go back that far, but when I started watching in the 90's we at least had Speed Channel, with Bob Varsha
and David Hobbs. Unfortunately with commercials, but I guess that wasn't so bad all things considered.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't go back that far, but when I started watching in the 90's we at least had Speed Channel, with Bob Varsha
and David Hobbs. Unfortunately with commercials, but I guess that wasn't so bad all things considered.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jmt1991:

We've got it great now.

I remember when they would broadcast the Daytona 500 somewhere around April.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

ACC has most of those changes already.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

The BBC had nearly every race live, but there were exceptions. Sometimes you'd just get 40 minute extended highlights. Many memories of setting alarms and the VCR for the flyaway races. I'd usually tape them and watch later, unless it was a championship decider (which Suzuka very often was).

I've got a very clear memory of having a few beers and watching 1997 live qualifying from Melbourne (must have been 3ish in the morning), where JV was some 1.7s clear of the field and wondering what kind of season it was going to be. Little did I know he'd try almost everything to lose it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:43:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GeneralDisaray] [#47]
I can easily see Congress doing something that screws up all the hard work F1 has been doing to grow
the sport here. They are not the solution providers they fancy themselves to be.
View All Quotes

Uh the promoters and beneficiaries of those races likely carry way more weight than fucking Andretti would

All bullshit publicity. F1 should just send back and photo copied version of their middle finger and ass for good measure.

Honestly andrettis incessant pushing makes them insufferable and makes me root for them losing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:

Uh the promoters and beneficiaries of those races likely carry way more weight than fucking Andretti would

All bullshit publicity. F1 should just send back and photo copied version of their middle finger and ass for good measure.

Honestly andrettis incessant pushing makes them insufferable and makes me root for them losing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:

Same. Sucks to suck I guess.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

That’s when I started watching too.  I had gotten DirecTV and they had combination receivers/DVRs with TiVo built in, so I could record the races on Speed channel.  Remember watching the Mika Häkkinen/MSC battles.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#50]

That’s when I started watching too.  I had gotten DirecTV and they had combination receivers/DVRs with TiVo built in, so I could record the races on Speed channel.  Remember watching the Mika Häkkinen/MSC battles.
View All Quotes

I started watching in the early 90’s and it might as well have been a Martian baseball league. It took me over 5 years to meet anyone who was even vaguely familiar.

And in those pre-internet days, the only option was visiting the magazine stand (yeah…) and buying copies of Autosport.

At this point, it’s kind of surreal to see the change into what it has now become.
Page / 101
Top Top