Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 92
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mblades:
He’ll retire and go design America’s cup yachts.
View Quote

Possible
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DCV_117:

Yeah it's everywhere now.

Ferrari needs to send every dollar of that HP check directly to Newey
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flyhack72:
Taking this with a grain of salt

BBC has confirmed it.  They have connections with Newey and his team.

If that is the case, his earliest Ferrari will be the 2028 car.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:00:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chaas67] [#3]

View All Quotes

Does this mean that Max isn’t far behind?

Could you imagine what this would do to the driver market, interesting times.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

View All Quotes

Doubtful. Nobody is even close to RB. I think max will stay for the guaranteed WDCs as long as RB is serving them up to him.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Well boy was I wrong. Genuinely surprised he's on the move.

I wonder If this is anything to do with RB powertrains and Newey maybe seeing some writing on the wall.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Esterhase:
Well boy was I wrong. Genuinely surprised he's on the move.

I wonder If this is anything to do with RB powertrains and Newey maybe seeing some writing on the wall.
View Quote

He’s old as shit, has plenty of money, and nothing to prove. I’ll be genuinely surprised if he says in the sport.  Especially given the 2+yrs it’s going to take for his designs to make it to the track.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]
https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/cmm3v9ny78eo

Wow, saw some of the rumors late last night on twitter but didn't feel they were solid enough to share. What a difference 12 hours makes.

This is a huge shake-up. I wonder if the Horner investigation provided any motivation for him to make the jump.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Doubtful. Nobody is even close to RB. I think max will stay for the guaranteed WDCs as long as RB is serving them up to him.
View All Quotes

The one thing that has always caught my attention in Max’s response to ‘Will he leave?’ Is that wants a quiet and peaceful environment.

That comment can mean very different things to each person and curious what it means specifically to Max.  Does newey leaving impact that?

I almost wonder if the WDC’s are a priority anymore for Max. That may sound strange but is he already looking to the next form of racing to make his mark on given his success in F1. The guy is consumed by racing and i doubt he cares the platform but the journey mastering it is his motivation.

Talking out my butt I suppose but that’s what is rattling around in my head in any case.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#9]

The one thing that has always caught my attention in Max’s response to ‘Will he leave?’ Is that wants a quiet and peaceful environment.

That comment can mean very different things to each person and curious what it means specifically to Max.  Does newey leaving impact that?

I almost wonder if the WDC’s are a priority anymore for Max. That may sound strange but is he already looking to the next form of racing to make his mark on given his success in F1. The guy is consumed by racing and i doubt he cares the platform but the journey mastering it is his motivation.

Talking out my butt I suppose but that’s what is rattling around in my head in any case.
View Quote

No I think you have it right. Drama is bad for a team, and there is apparently a lot of it around in RBR since Mateschitz died.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]

No I think you have it right. Drama is bad for a team, and there is apparently a lot of it around in RBR since Mateschitz died.
View Quote
Good ole fashioned power struggle and ALL of the media and competitors doing what they can to keep it embroiled.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Would love to see him retire to pursue a Triple Crown.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:

View All Quotes

Is that winning the Indy 500, 24 hrs of Le Mans and Monaco?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

That would be cool to see but I think ALO will beat him to it and it will lose its appeal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn this is going to be crazy. Especially if he goes to Ferrari!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#15]

That would be cool to see but I think ALO will beat him to it and it will lose its appeal.
View All Quotes

There was a article that Alonso and Verstappen were discussing being on a team together.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By fike:

View All Quotes

I read if he leaves during this season he would have to take 1 year off (2025) and would be able to work starting in 2026, so the 2027 car would be the earliest he would have full control of.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Wow, saw some of the rumors late last night on twitter but didn't feel they were solid enough to share. What a difference 12 hours makes.

This is a huge shake-up. I wonder if the Horner investigation provided any motivation for him to make the jump.
View Quote

BBC sources say it is the primary reason for the jump.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Yes.

View Quote

Alonso already tried. He's back in F1 trying to win a third F1 WDC.

Max already has 3 and doesn't seem to me like he's in it to top Schumacher and Hamilton. At his age, if he retires from F1, he'll have loads of time to get a Le Mans and Indy win. He'll have days worth of Sim racing under his belt for each track before he ever drives them under a green flag. I think that's a huge difference between Alonso and Verstappen. Now I'm wondering if he's ever commented on IndyCar, I know many F1 drivers think open-wheel oval-racing is too dangerous.

The person I'd most like to see complete it is Montoya. Still have a spark of fandom for him from his CART days.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

I'm wondering why it's so personal to Newey.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Yes.

Max already has 3 and doesn't seem to me like he's in it to top Schumacher and Hamilton. At his age, if he retires from F1, he'll have loads of time to get a Le Mans and Indy win. He'll have days worth of Sim racing under his belt for each track before he ever drives them under a green flag. I think that's a huge difference between Alonso and Verstappen. Now I'm wondering if he's ever commented on IndyCar, I know many F1 drivers think open-wheel oval-racing is too dangerous.

The person I'd most like to see complete it is Montoya. Still have a spark of fandom for him from his CART days.
View Quote

Wait a little while and you might see his son.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#21]

I read if he leaves during this season he would have to take 1 year off (2025) and would be able to work starting in 2026, so the 2027 car would be the earliest he would have full control of.
View All Quotes

If he can find a way out of his RB contract.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
Max to Ferrari for WEC.

**I know it's been long banned, but Max could probably run Le Mans solo ... and win.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
Max to Ferrari for WEC.

**I know it's been long banned, but Max could probably run Le Mans solo ... and win.
View All Quotes

Max to Ferrari for WEC.

You're probably not wrong.  He's been known to stay up very late sim racing, get up early for an actual race, win the race, then get back on sim racing afterward.  Dude treats Formula 1 like a side quest.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Yes.

View All Quotes

Yes.

I think Alonso still has “it” and has proven that over the last two years. Maybe I’m not giving the IRL guys enough credit but if he really is done in F1 after 2026 and sets his sights on the Indy 500 I think he could easily find his way in the best car and after a full season of races have a real shot of pulling it off.  If it wasn’t for a mechanical issue he may have got it done in 2017(I think it was 17).

All that being said if Max were to walk away in the next few years I think it would be easy for him to accomplish. He’s the biggest name In Motorsports and could find a seat anywhere he wants, he’s got the talent, only fait could stop him.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

You're probably not wrong.  He's been known to stay up very late sim racing, get up early for an actual race, win the race, then get back on sim racing afterward.  Dude treats Formula 1 like a side quest.
View Quote

People tend to attribute super-human feats to WDC drivers (Senna and Schumacher in Particular) but there's little evidence for it. Put them in a certain car and they can look ordinary. A big part of what went down with Senna at Williams was near total disbelief he could be beaten.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

“Red Bull.  It’s better than meth!”
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I chuckled a few times at this one.
Chinese GP 2024 | Highlights | Formula 1 Comedy

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#28]

People tend to attribute super-human feats to WDC drivers (Senna and Schumacher in Particular) but there's little evidence for it. Put them in a certain car and they can look ordinary. A big part of what went down with Senna at Williams was near total disbelief he could be beaten.
View All Quotes

I don’t think Schumacher is a good example of that. He won 2 with Benetton then went to a dog shit Ferrari team and helped them succeeded like never before or since.

More often than not the best drivers find themselves in the best car, it takes both to be dominant.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:13:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chaas67] [#29]
F1 should reconsider having consecutive 2 week breaks between races.

All the drama starts up when the teams aren’t hustling between tracks with only a week between races. 😁
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#30]
F1 should reconsider having consecutive 2 week breaks between races.

All the drama starts up when the teams aren't hustling between tracks with only a week between races.
View Quote
Next years schedule is much better than this years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

I'm simply stating known facts, not attributing "super-human feats".

Nobody is capable of winning in a shitty car but Max dominates F1 in the Red Bull and performs at an extremely high level in sim racing so he is immensely talented.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#32]

I think Alonso still has “it” and has proven that over the last two years. Maybe I’m not giving the IRL guys enough credit but if he really is done in F1 after 2026 and sets his sights on the Indy 500 I think he could easily find his way in the best car and after a full season of races have a real shot of pulling it off.  If it wasn’t for a mechanical issue he may have got it done in 2017(I think it was 17).

All that being said if Max were to walk away in the next few years I think it would be easy for him to accomplish. He’s the biggest name In Motorsports and could find a seat anywhere he wants, he’s got the talent, only fait could stop him.
View Quote

Alonso ain't getting a ride if it has a Honda engine.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By poison123:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By poison123:

Uhh…
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Sounds just like my F1TV subscription. 🧐
View All Quotes

Formula 1® has today announced the “Formula 1 Channel”, a 24/7, subscription-free streaming channel for fans in the USA to watch F1, F2, F3 and F1 Academy race replays and highlights, full reruns of classic Grands Prix, and popular racing documentaries.

The new channel launching in the USA ahead of the FORMULA 1 CRYPTO.COM MIAMI GRAND PRIX 2024, will be operated by partner C15 Studio and distributed for fans to watch via leading services including Samsung TV Plus, Amazon Freevee, and Pluto TV.

Viewers will be able to tune into pre-scheduled programming of classic Grands Prix and popular documentaries and relive the drama and excitement of the previous race weekends, with replays, detailed highlights, and expert analysis of the current F1, F2, F3 and F1 ACADEMY seasons (available to watch five days after the Grands Prix).

Demand for Formula 1 in the USA is at an all-time high, with a fanbase of over 42m and television audiences at record numbers. Following a recent growth of FAST Channels in the USA, the launch of the Formula 1 Channel reflects the latest television trends amongst fans in the USA.    

The Formula 1 Channel becomes the latest addition to F1’s broad portfolio of programming currently available for fans in the USA, supporting the core live offerings from ESPN and F1’s own direct to consumer streaming service, F1 TV.

Sounds just like my F1TV subscription. 🧐

Same but I can switch to different in car feeds and track data with F1TV.  All ad free.  FreeVee has ads.  If you use a Firestick there is an F1 TV app that does everything I mentioned.  Why a second service?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:24:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Esterhase] [#35]

I don’t think Schumacher is a good example of that. He won 2 with Benetton then went to a dog shit Ferrari team and helped them succeeded like never before or since.

More often than not the best drivers find themselves in the best car, it takes both to be dominant.
View Quote

In a way. After he signed for Ferrari in 1995, the then editor of F1 racing magazine (Tony Dodgins, if my memory is right) declared in the season preview edition that Schumacher would be champion, such was the hype around his ability.

The fact he tended to be well ahead of his teammates at Benetton (with the notable exception of Martin Brundle) created this mythology around him. I saw fans on Internet forums saying he could win in any car on the grid.

It is just not true.

He was the best around for a long time, but given what we can observer about Alonso, and all the sport science around aging, exactly how much speed did he lose during 2007-2009? It can't have been that much. He was still supremely fit (the yardstick for so long, in fact) and yet, he looked absolutely ordinary vs Rosberg, the entire time they were teammates. You can only conclude two things: He'd lost some pace, and Rosberg was that good. Either way, there was an expectation that he would immediately be winning races, even with the early acknowledgement the 2010 Mercedes wasn't competitive.

Senna, by comparison, also preferred 'tame' teammates. He famously vetoed Derek Warwick from joining Lotus, because he was worried (probably rightly so) that the team could not run two cars with the same focus. When Hakkinen out-qualified him on debut in 1993 in Portugal, it lit an enormous fire under him, and he won the final two races of the season.  It was psychologically devastating to see him wobble at Williams in the first two GPs; it's difficult to explain unless you were taking it all in at the time. There were people talking about him winning every single race. Of Course, he can't overcome a difficult car.

The laws of physics are always going to be the bound.

I am seeing similar proclamations about Max. It's a different story when you don't have a competitive car.

ETA, this is without mentioning Vettel and the weird collapse in form he had in what was still a Newey-penned car. Newey is another outstanding performer, but he cannot create miracles. John Barnard was similarly lauded, and it was his 1996 Ferrari that the helped build the notion that Michael Schumacher could win in a wheelbarrow, which was jolly unkind to both him and Barnard. The unloved F310 had some excellent details, a superb V10, the first steering wheel that moved all the driver tunables to the wheel center, and ultimately was a winning car in its first year.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Same but I can switch to different in car feeds and track data with F1TV.  All ad free.  FreeVee has ads.  If you use a Firestick there is an F1 TV app that does everything I mentioned.  Why a second service?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Formula 1  has today announced the "Formula 1 Channel", a 24/7, subscription-free streaming channel for fans in the USA to watch F1, F2, F3 and F1 Academy race replays and highlights, full reruns of classic Grands Prix, and popular racing documentaries.

The new channel launching in the USA ahead of the FORMULA 1 CRYPTO.COM MIAMI GRAND PRIX 2024, will be operated by partner C15 Studio and distributed for fans to watch via leading services including Samsung TV Plus, Amazon Freevee, and Pluto TV.

Viewers will be able to tune into pre-scheduled programming of classic Grands Prix and popular documentaries and relive the drama and excitement of the previous race weekends, with replays, detailed highlights, and expert analysis of the current F1, F2, F3 and F1 ACADEMY seasons (available to watch five days after the Grands Prix).

Demand for Formula 1 in the USA is at an all-time high, with a fanbase of over 42m and television audiences at record numbers. Following a recent growth of FAST Channels in the USA, the launch of the Formula 1 Channel reflects the latest television trends amongst fans in the USA.    

The Formula 1 Channel becomes the latest addition to F1's broad portfolio of programming currently available for fans in the USA, supporting the core live offerings from ESPN and F1's own direct to consumer streaming service, F1 TV.

Sounds just like my F1TV subscription.

As I understand it, it's not for watching races live, it's just programmed F1 content, like old races, documentaries, interviews, shit like that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#37]
As I understand it, it's not for watching races live, it's just programmed F1 content, like old races, documentaries, interviews, shit like that.
View Quote

Of course those archived on the F1TV app.

I paid for this season but based on the options I may not next year.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#38]
The price is well worth not having to listen to the announcers on Sky TV or Danica Patrick. 🤮

I prefer to watch Laura Winter so there’s that too…
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:56:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Esterhase] [#39]
Once I got used to Alex Jacques and Jolyon's style, I really prefer to listen to them. Buxton's a twat, but it's a small price to pay for otherwise excellent coverage.

Also, as incomplete as they are, I really do enjoy the archives and go back to them; everyone should IMHO. You learn a huge amount watching how it was.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#40]
So Newey can’t leave Red Bull until the end of 2025, then he has 1 year of gardening leave. So the earliest he gets to work at a new team is 2027, on the 2028 car.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Once I got used to Alex Jacques and Jolyon's style, I really prefer to listen to them. Buxton's a twat, but it's a small price to pay for otherwise excellent coverage.
View Quote

The one thing that I like that Will does it the walk down the starting grid and giving a quick highlight of each drivers race weekend.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Tobysi:
So Newey can’t leave Red Bull until the end of 2025, then he has 1 year of gardening leave. So the earliest he gets to work at a new team is 2027, on the 2028 car.
View Quote

I just can't picture him wanting it. The return to what he has called an engine Formula does nothing for him either, I suspect.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Tobysi:
View Quote

Team events and get togethers are going to be awkward for some time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Craig Slater quote:

Craig Slater on news of Adrian Newey leaving Red Bull after spoken to Red Bull official channels

"Multiple senior figures [in F1] I've spoken to have expressed to me that there is discontentment with Adrian Newey and that he is certainly considering bringing his time at Red Bull to an end.

I have been in touch via official channels with the Red Bull Team themselves and they have explained to me that they are unaware of any official communication from Adrian Newey notifying of his intention to serve notice and to leave Red Bull Racing with whom he has an association for pretty much almost the last 20 years."

"His contractual situation is that he has contracted at Red Bull Racing until the end of 2025 and as I understand it would have to serve another year of gardening leave where Red Bull to holds him to the full extent of his contract which would mean he would not be able to work work for another Formula 1 team until 2027."

"Red Bull are also unaware as I understand it of any formal approach from another Formula 1 team to Adrian Newey and the one or two individuals I've spoken to close to Newey have expressed to me that if he is seriously considering leaving, he has not made up his mind what future direction his career should take."
View Quote

I hope we get an official statement soon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Plot twist.

Red Bull used this story to find the internal leaker.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#46]

There was a article that Alonso and Verstappen were discussing being on a team together.
View Quote

Tinfoil hat time... they are discussing for 24 hour races and who they want as a team.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't believe anything
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By drewptwo:

Tinfoil hat time... they are discussing for 24 hour races and who they want as a team.
View Quote

I don't know if you'd want two hard chargers in an endurance entry. Whomever the 3rd is, they'd need to coach them; we have not seen that ability in either Max or Nando, so far. Endurance is a very different and interesting discipline.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:38:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fike] [#49]

I don't know if you'd want two hard chargers in an endurance entry. Whomever the 3rd is, they'd need to coach them; we have not seen that ability in either Max or Nando, so far. Endurance is a very different and interesting discipline.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By drewptwo:

Strange implication that both Max and Fernando wouldn’t be able to figure out how to handle an endurance race.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
Fernando's already won Le Mans twice, and the 24 hours of Daytona once.
(Funny enough, he competed at Daytona in 2018 on a team with none other than Lando Norris, before he started in F1. )
Page / 92
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top