User Panel

Site Notices
Who's watching shogun (Page 2 of 8)
Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
This waaaay better than the 1980 version.
View Quote

I thought the 1980's version was pretty darn good.    

How is this one better?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:

The wife of a samurai was NOT second class to a common man.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
Originally Posted By billth777:
Mariko is samurai. Samurai is a society class. It’s all outlined in the book.

She is still a woman and woman were second class to the men.

The wife of a samurai was NOT second class to a common man.

Correct.

A commoner, man or women, could lose their head if they offended a women of Samurai Class, especially one married to a powerful/high ranking Samurai, as Marko is in the story.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:14:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PoiDog] [#3]
We have the original series on DVD, and also watched it when it was first run. Excellent show, and an excellent book as well.

I haven't read the book in quite some time. The author had quite a few great books, several of which were made into movies or tv series.

I don't have Hulu, and FX is loaded with commercials. I think I'll wait until it makes it to BluRay and get it then.

Edit: I checked Amazon just for grins, to maybe find the book again.  Looks like I missed the boat, the cheapest book is used for over $32. I did not expect paperbacks to go crazy in price. I got rid of a lot of money giving books away over the years.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:15:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#4]
I am a huge fan of both the book and the 80's TV miniseries.

I watched the first two episodes. I noticed Lady Moriko has a more forceful role in this version. She ordered Blackthorn to refer to her as Mariko-sama. IIRC in the book and miniseries she is Mariko-chan. She would not rate sama and I am not sure about san. I hope this is not a sign this is going to be another girl power remake of something.
View Quote

Lmao it's hulu.

Sama is a male honorific. They're already rewriting stuff from the get-go

More girl boss bad bitch bullshit
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By VectorX:
That is such a heavy-handed edit, since it isn't in the book, you know it is certainly blatant girl-power propaganda.
View Quote

I am not saying it is a heavy handed edit.

Mariko has been written slightly bolder in this version vs the book and the previous miniseries. With the Hollywood's DEI agenda it is on my radar, especially after watching the first season of the HotD disaster.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:57:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#6]

I am not saying it is a heavy handed edit.

Mariko has been written slightly bolder in this version vs the book and the previous miniseries. With the Hollywood's DEI agenda it is on my radar, especially after watching the first season of the HotD disaster.
View Quote

It's hulu. It's inevitable. Crazy how people trick themselves into thinking "it's going to be different this time" it's not. It's hulu. It's what they do. Grrrl power bad bitch man but with a vagina and tits. Over and over.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:
I just saw bewbees.  Better than the older version
View Quote

Hmmm...might have to give it a chance.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:
I just saw bewbees.  Better than the older version
View Quote
older version had boobs...

Just not the one shown on American TV.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:

Lmao it's hulu.

View Quote

So what is the proper form of address for a Sengoku women, one who is the daughter of a hatamoto, and the wife of another?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Mrs Rabinowitz and I enjoyed the first two. The accents of the Englishman and the Portuguese guy make their English hard to understand for an American.

Japanese are portrayed much more like humans than in the 1980 version.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:31:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#11]

It has been like 20 years since I read the book. Can you point out women defying samurai? Also the part when she goes from being Mariko-chan to Mariko-sama.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By billth777:
Mariko is a very strong character in the book, and on multiple occasions, she picks up a weapon. she is samurai after all.

It has been like 20 years since I read the book. Can you point out women defying samurai? Also the part when she goes from being Mariko-chan to Mariko-sama.

Mariko defies the most powerful Samurai in the entire nation on multiple occasions in the book. Including trying to walk her party out of Osaka (?) castle. She defies her own husband (a high ranking samurai) throughout the book.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:40:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#12]
Originally Posted By curiomatic:
I read the book a long time ago, but I can tell just by watching the trailer that this version has a lot more girl power in it.
View Quote
I noticed that too. I was really looking forward to this.
However, every commercial I've seen for this seems focused entirely on female characters.
Even the still shot that comes up for it on Hulu is a woman. Makes me leery.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:41:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fushaw] [#13]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
Mrs Rabinowitz and I enjoyed the first two. The accents of the Englishman and the Portuguese guy make their English hard to understand for an American.

Japanese are portrayed much more like humans than in the 1980 version.
View Quote

I was waiting to see if they found actors that spoke Japanese, English, AND Portuguese.

That would've been some feat! Also I was only slightly let down since I speak English and Portuguese.

I'm half way through ep.2 now and still enjoying it so far.

ETA: Blackthorn's accent sounds like Viggo Mortenson from LotR a bit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m trying to finish The Shield for the first time, then I’ll jump in on Shogun. I can hardly wait though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:48:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kill-9] [#15]
Originally Posted By naginata5:
Mariko shows up way earlier than in the book and you are introduced to her by her putting a group of samurai in their places while they attempt to oppress another helpless woman. Turned it off. I'll enjoy the book again.
View Quote

In the book, part of the magic of Mariko was how powerful she was while maintaining the image of a perfectly subservient Japanese woman.  I guess that is WAY too subtle for today's Hollywood.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I was 18 when the first TV series was on and loved it. I'm going to watch the new Shogun this weekend.

I signed up for HULU with the Christmas special for $1.00 a month for a year. So it's going to pay off because there wasn't anything good to watch on HULU, even if it was free.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I went in blind. I’m still confused about Blackthorne and friends. Are they pirates or merchants? Is he lying to save his own ass, or telling the truth? I should just re watch it. Sorry for any spoilers.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Infantry600:
I went in blind. I’m still confused about Blackthorne and friends. Are they pirates or merchants? Is he lying to save his own ass, or telling the truth? I should just re watch it. Sorry for any spoilers.
View Quote

Privateer.  "Legal" pirate during war.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Silence:

So what is the proper form of address for a Sengoku women, one who is the daughter of a hatamoto, and the wife of another?
View All Quotes

Lmao it's hulu.

This, I may just be a weeb.

But I'm pretty sure the sama honorific is the English equivalent to lord or lady. and just as genderless and the san one which is like saying Mr. or Mrs.

Chan would denote a closeness to a younger person and wouldn't be appropriate unless the situation was familial or informal.

The only masculine honorifics to my limitied understanding would be dono. Which is more specific to samurai (as an actual person over the class) and kun. Which is more similar to chan and would require a certain level of closeness.

Also I haven't seen the 80's film or series for this in a super long time.  The relationship should be similar to that of the family of a duke and knights under them.

So while all are of nobility being samurai class.  A knight working under a duke can be bossed around by his family because he would be of lower status.

Also this series is saved in my hulu.  I'll be checking it out soonish.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Going_Commando:
The book was a bit too rapey and gross for me. I really enjoyed Taipan.
View Quote

Japan.

Rapey is historical.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
I wanted to watch the original again before starting this new one but I cant fond the original version anywhere.
View Quote

The TV movie 'inside the third reich' is another thing I would really love to watch again with Rutger Hauer.
Counting on streaming services is really not viable, best to own actual copies of the things we really love.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By curiomatic:

I read the book a long time ago, but I can tell just by watching the trailer that this version has a lot more girl power in it.
View Quote

That's unfortunate.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Hulu is $16.00 a month.
View Quote

Yeah...along with Disney, Amazon, Netflix, Paramount plus, HBO/MAX...it adds up. I guess if you are wealthy
you just suck it up, one of my rich friends has a 500 a month bill for all their streaming and cable.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By WhirlyGirl45:

Yeah...along with Disney, Amazon, Netflix, Paramount plus, HBO/MAX...it adds up. I guess if you are wealthy
you just suck it up, one of my rich friends has a 500 a month bill for all their streaming and cable.
View All Quotes

Hulu is $16.00 a month.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

https://images.thedirect.com/media/photos/nami4.png
View Quote

Not sure what that means but it is strangely...arousing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By kill-9:

In the book, part of the magic of Mariko was how powerful she was while maintaining the image of a perfectly subservient Japanese woman.  I guess that is WAY too subtle for today's Hollywood.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kill-9:
Originally Posted By naginata5:
Mariko shows up way earlier than in the book and you are introduced to her by her putting a group of samurai in their places while they attempt to oppress another helpless woman. Turned it off. I'll enjoy the book again.

To be fair, sometimes you have to change things to get the intent of the books across through a different medium. It’s hard to separate good criticisms from bad without watching yourself. There were a bunch of “fans” here shrieking about the LOTR movies because they didn’t include fucking Tom Bombadil or whatever. I don’t expect movies/shows to perfectly follow books, as long as they are consistent with the book’s themes (see Starship Troopers as the ultimate way to fuck that up) and are also just generally high quality productions/good action/writing/directing (see Wheel of Time for some of the worst storytelling around).

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Lmao it's hulu.

View All Quotes

I watched the first two episodes. I noticed Lady Moriko has a more forceful role in this version. She ordered Blackthorn to refer to her as Mariko-sama. IIRC in the book and miniseries she is Mariko-chan. She would not rate sama and I am not sure about san. I hope this is not a sign this is going to be another girl power remake of something.

Lmao it's hulu.

What? Sama is just a more respectful version of San. There is no male honorific at play. Its gender neutral respect for someone of a higher rank.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck yeah

I didn’t know it was on Hulu.

You, sir, just made my afternoon
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Lmao it's hulu.

View Quote

Sama is not a male honorific. Its a gender-neutral honorific for people of higher status.

San = Mr./Ms.
Sama = Sir/Ma'am, your honor, your lord/ladyship, your grace, etc...

None of the common Japanese honorifics are gender specific
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

She could be referred to as Mariko-chan by someone who is older than her as chan means "little".

However, to Blackthorn and the common person she could absolutely be referred to as Mariko-sama as she is a Lady and sama can translate to "lady" when referring someone in her position. She sees Blackthorn as a barbarian and she has a part in the lord/ladyship so this isn't anything out of the ordinary and is a way for her to demand respect from someone who just questioned her Catholic beliefs while she was forced to translate for him.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Featureless] [#31]
Ought to watch it.  When I was at Yokosuka, we had an English priest from Yokohama assisting for the Base Chapel Episcopal community. He was invited to an participated in the annual celebrations at the nearby Anjinzuka (Will Adams) historic site.  The Clavell series were popular reading as we visited several of the locations covered by the books over the series.  I saw a quick FB clip of part of the original the other day.  I'm not sure if I watched the whole thing originally or just some of it.  The clip makes me wonder I if I liked or just tolerated the original.  The Needle Watcher is probably a better but maybe superficial (as in a small book, not exhaustive scholastic treatise) historic account. The trailers I've seen for the new one looked good, though.

I'd have to pull out the book to see what's up again but don't expect, like pretty much any book to movie, extreme fidelity.  My impression would be that titles/honorifics are used "up" to others and down to one-self.  We would refer to the landlord and their daughter as Name-san or Ohi-san but ourselves as Name-desu.  Without seeing the show, I suppose I could imagine Anjin calling Mariko Mariko-Chan in a private intimate place but would be surprised if ever using the term around others.  But haven't seen it.   IIRC, the relationship evolved over time and she was per the story, a very important person in a variety of ways.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:55:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#32]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#33]
older version had boobs...

Just not the one shown on American TV.
View Quote

OHH RearRe?  Is most honorable that I find this version...
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

https://images.thedirect.com/media/photos/nami4.png

The context is they are pirates. and the redhead asked for help.

So I am helping by inviting you to join the pirate band.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Progun1911:
I was 18 when the first TV series was on and loved it. I'm going to watch the new Shogun this weekend.

I signed up for HULU with the Christmas special for $1.00 a month for a year. So it's going to pay off because there wasn't anything good to watch on HULU, even if it was free.
View Quote

I did the $1/mo deal in july and then paused the service after a month. Was pretty happy when they just turned it back on for $1 so I could watch.

I'd love a Tai-pan with these production values.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I’m too young to have seen the original.

Pretty impressed so far with the current version.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#37]
My wife has that shit on now.  Not paying attention.  About to go into another room.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Aimless:

This series seems less enthralled with feudal Japanese culture. It's a political action thriller with the warlords moving against each other and one trying to use anjin somehow against his three enemies.

View Quote

Well in 1980 Japanese feudal culture was exotic for many Americans. We had a flood of Japanese feudal content since then.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#40]
This show is fantastic. Highly recommend.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#41]
There is no question, the production value is 1000x better.   The scenery in this looks so real, costuming and even the shaved heads of the samurai look so much better.  

I have read the book probably 6-10 times and the story is still the story and yes some scenes of the baby killing was added, whether it helps the plot is debatable.   I have strong memories of watching the original, and Richard Chamberlin did not seem believable, this Blackthorne so far is much truer to my mind picture.  Yabu/Yabushige is vastly better as well.   Mariko is being portrayed as a tougher character, but do to her family history (traitorous father, overbearing husband) it seems to fit better to me.  The Alvito character so far is working for me, no big perfectly blow dried, feathered hair that would be very out of style for the time.  Same point for the Chamberlin/Blackthorne character.   John Rees Davis as Rodriguez was fun, but this modern one rings truer.

I am also very much liking the way they are handling the translation aspects, start a conversation restating everything, but don't make it tiresome.   I advise turning on the closed caption, it works well for me even for the English (simulated Portugese) portions .

Not perfect, but only nostalgia would let me rank the original anywhere near this current version.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:24:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miles_Urbanus] [#42]
Did anyone recognize the flintlock the Spaniard pulled while in his hammock? Seemed very modern to me. Like a mid to late 18th century piece (based on the lock). Like a Queen Anne turn off pistol but larger. This is set in 1600 so he probably should have just drawn a knife.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Cargo:
There is no question, the production value is 1000x better.   The scenery in this looks so real, costuming and even the shaved heads of the samurai look so much better.  

I have read the book probably 6-10 times and the story is still the story and yes some scenes of the baby killing was added, whether it helps the plot is debatable.   I have strong memories of watching the original, and Richard Chamberlin did not seem believable, this Blackthorne so far is much truer to my mind picture.  Yabu/Yabushige is vastly better as well.   Mariko is being portrayed as a tougher character, but do to her family history (traitorous father, overbearing husband) it seems to fit better to me.  The Alvito character so far is working for me, no big perfectly blow dried, feathered hair that would be very out of style for the time.  Same point for the Chamberlin/Blackthorne character.   John Rees Davis as Rodriguez was fun, but this modern one rings truer.

I am also very much liking the way they are handling the translation aspects, start a conversation restating everything, but don't make it tiresome.   I advise turning on the closed caption, it works well for me even for the English (simulated Portugese) portions .

Not perfect, but only nostalgia would let me rank the original anywhere near this current version.
View Quote

pretty much agree with all of this.  Looking forward to watching more, just saw Ep1 and 2 last night.

One of my favorite books, and to me the best of his series.  I was a kid when the original came out, I had looked for it a couple of years ago and didn't find it.  But I re-read the book every few years and this seems to capture it fairly well with LOADS better production.  But then, it's 2024, it should be loads better.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:26:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miles_Urbanus] [#44]

View Quote

I lived in Japan 3 years. The show looks like British Columbia/PNW and that’s exactly where it was filmed. It definately does not look like Southern Honshu. The orginal Shogun miniseries was filmed in Japan near Nagashima.

I’ve never heard of baby seppuku for shame. Killing yourself yes but not your kid. I’d be interested to hear if that was historical. My gut is it’s not. Definately killing yourself and your kids if the castle was being besieged and about to be sacked, that happened. But not in the manor shown in the new shogun as far as I know.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:41:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scalped] [#46]
Episode two was cool. It's really getting into the complexities of the feuding lords.

I'm a little bummed out that Hulu, like others have mentioned in here, seemed to have up-ended the original plot in favor of more feminism bullshit. It seems instead of the original sequences depicted in the clip below, Hulu/FX changed:

Click To View Spoiler

The original piece:
Shogun: Ninja Assassins Siege Attack Toranaga's Samurai Warriors With Bomb At Osaka Castle, Japan

ETA: added spoiler coverage
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

They did that in the Centennial mini series too.  I bought the DVDs cheap a few years ago and laughed at the men's salon hairstyles.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#48]
First 2 episodes were good good , little slow on the pacing but all the world building is done in 2 episodes and the end of 2 has me wanting to see the next one. I’ll keep watching! Looks like a good story
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#49]

The TV movie 'inside the third reich' is another thing I would really love to watch again with Rutger Hauer.
Counting on streaming services is really not viable, best to own actual copies of the things we really love.
View Quote

Did you mean, "Fatherland"?  Which I know he was in.  Great book, haven't seen the tv-movie about it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:

I lived in Japan 3 years. The show looks like British Columbia/PNW and that’s exactly where it was filmed. It definately does not look like Southern Honshu. The orginal Shogun miniseries was filmed in Japan near Nagashima.

I’ve never heard of baby seppuku for shame. Killing yourself yes but not your kid. I’d be interested to hear if that was historical. My gut is it’s not. Definately killing yourself and your kids if the castle was being besieged and about to be sacked, that happened. But not in the manor shown in the new shogun as far as I know.
View Quote

Not seen this version, loved the book.  The only baby I remember getting killed off hand was because Fujiko's husband nearly drew down on Ishido (which Ishido wanted), and Toranaga had him and his children put to death.  Fujiko then became assigned to the Anjin at some later point.
Page / 8
Who's watching shogun (Page 2 of 8)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top