Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Who's watching shogun (Page 5 of 8)
Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm really enjoying it. The costumes and sets are incredible. The dialog is interesting and not hard to follow with subtitles. The acting is overall very good. Looking forward to next week's episode with the new "queen bee" character asserting herself.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By magnum_99:
I'm really enjoying it. The costumes and sets are incredible. The dialog is interesting and not hard to follow with subtitles. The acting is overall very good. Looking forward to next week's episode with the new "queen bee" character asserting herself.
View Quote

This

Solid show
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Show looks good. I am going to wait until the season is over to binge.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have enjoyed every episode.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I guess is going be retarded again and only pick very little to stream on their own platform.and have the rest go to Hulu.

Episode 6 isnt on FXNow
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I need to find one of these tea houses!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By macaho45:
I need to find one of these tea houses!
View Quote

Absolutely, although they don't serve Gaijin. Anjin was an exception.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty interesting VFX short. There are a ton of other shorts on the series as well.

Note: There are some shots from future episodes.

The Making of Shogun – Chapter Five: Expanding the Vision with VFX | FX
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#10]
How many more episode ? I’m up to 6

He is great at delivering swear words. Learnt some new ones.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Excellent series.
I suggest Barbarians on Netflix.
Different era but great.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been loving the show. Started it yesterday on Easter. Can't wait for tomorrow's episode.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By fike:

Yes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 549:
I've caught the last two episodes on FX. Can I watch from the beginning if I subscribe to Hulu?

Yes

If you do, the BBC Musketeers series is worth a watch (so far).  It's well-cast and Peter Capaldi makes a pretty good Richelieu.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Show is just getting warmed up. I was a small child when I watched the original miniseries with my dad. I only remember vague details. But it only gets better.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Another +1 for this show. Anyone on the fence, watch it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:02:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VoxLibertatis] [#16]
By far the best show I’ve watched in the last few years.

Desire to purchase katana intensifies.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#17]
This week's episode was great.  The last 10 minutes had me on the edge of my seat.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Pesty:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m a couple episodes behind, but it’s solid, for sure.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:06:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pesty] [#20]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
Originally Posted By Pesty:

Cool I need some new material. I can’t over use  milk dribbling fuck smear too much

After 6 I’m starting to get girl boss vibes, women are behind it all and the answer to it all…

So far really enjoying it
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Yoshii Nagakado nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Damn
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:37:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kihn] [#22]
Originally Posted By ZF-1:
Yoshii Nagakado nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Damn
View Quote

Stupid way to die.

Insert tucobathtubsceneGBU.gif
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:46:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wolfy42] [#23]
Its got a woke element to it unfortunately. It was written and produced mostly by women.

It accentuates Mariko more than it should as they did with Usami.

Anjin also got 200 retainers in addition to his hatatomo title and fief in the book. You cant be a banner-man with no warriors and men to help run things but so far they have ignored this.   His fief produced 600 kokus which would have supported 600 people.  A male perspective would have realized this.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#24]
If I had not read the book and watched the original mini-series I would probably think it's great too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Spoiler Warning if you haven't seen Ep7 yet.

Had a question for something that didn't make sense / feel like I missed something.

When the 'old whore' tea lady mistress buys a stick of time from the lord she initially tries to convince him of helping her set up other tea houses and a whore guild and whatever. He dismisses it as he basically gives the impression that he will soon be dead so the matter is moot.

However, she then tells a story of how they are sort of alike in a sense that she is from the gutter and it has given her valuable insights and that the lord also has valuable insights into things people may not realize.

She then says something like, 'or am I wrong about that as you left a large portion of your forces away from the garrison'.

Is that a veiled observation from her that he has his army sitting somewhere else and the enemy hasn't noticed it, as in, this is part of a bigger plan and he's actually playing 4D chess, or what am I missing?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:41:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skootr] [#26]
Originally Posted By Whiskey1Alpha:

Had a question for something that didn't make sense / feel like I missed something.....
View Quote

I picked up the same as you hinted at.  He has something bigger planned or in process and he is just buying time.  And as he told his son before,  you can trust no one, so he tells none of his Hatamoto/bannermen about it.  For fear of them giving it away.  And lets be honest,  his dumb ass son would of been sitting there with a grin, completely out of place.  And he knows he can't trust Yabu or his son, and they are in that fief.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Had a question for something that didn't make sense / feel like I missed something.

When the 'old whore' tea lady mistress buys a stick of time from the lord she initially tries to convince him of helping her set up other tea houses and a whore guild and whatever. He dismisses it as he basically gives the impression that he will soon be dead so the matter is moot.

However, she then tells a story of how they are sort of alike in a sense that she is from the gutter and it has given her valuable insights and that the lord also has valuable insights into things people may not realize.

She then says something like, 'or am I wrong about that as you left a large portion of your forces away from the garrison'.

Is that a veiled observation from her that he has his army sitting somewhere else and the enemy hasn't noticed it, as in, this is part of a bigger plan and he's actually playing 4D chess, or what am I missing?
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Buuuuuuuuuuuut I could be totally wrong.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Best show on tv right now
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I noticed something similar and was wondering the same thing.

Also do you think Toranaga had Blackthorn playing the fool this entire time or is it also part of the act? I mean nobody could understand the Portuguese he was speaking anyways and Toranaga wouldn’t want to have him as a loose thread as he’s traveling to Osaka for impeachment.

I’m thinking he is using blackthorn, and the troops mentioned by the tea lady as the ace up the sleeve. At the same time, with the sons untimely death and assassination attempt that will make things messy like always. The son has passion but man was he dumber than a box of rocks
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By kingfish:
Best show on tv right now
View Quote

Couldn't agree more. It's fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I started watching it and most was in a foreign language.

The wife would not watch it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 1Bigdog:
I started watching it and most was in a foreign language.

The wife would not watch it.
View Quote

there's a dubbed version but only on hulu. I doubt she'd like it anyway if she can't sit through subtitles, it's very dialog-heavy and you'll miss a lot of things without understanding japanese culture.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Great show

I get all tingly for her

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

they're all hot, I'm so glad this is a japanese production and not controlled by americans.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#35]
That’s some commitment and 4D chess.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#36]
My wife and I are still wondering if Blackthorne is in on it and helping to sell the "defeat" to Osaka, or is he really out with Toranaga and truly on his own.

I'm still wondering if we're going to get a ninja attack like in the 1980 series.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#37]
My wife and I are still wondering if Blackthorne is in on it and helping to sell the "defeat" to Osaka, or is he really out with Toranaga and truly on his own.

I'm still wondering if we're going to get a ninja attack like in the 1980 series.
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#38]
That’s some commitment and 4D chess.
View Quote

Not 4D chess, but rather Sun Tzu
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#39]

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

Very true. Just trying to think how does his character play out in the end.

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:51:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:56:45 AM EDT
[#41]
I got a chuckle out of the attention to detail.  The lords all sit cross-legged, rather than in stereotypical "samurai seiza".  Seiza was an Edo-period traditional made up so it would be more difficult for courtiers to lunge at one another (or their superiors).  Shogun is pre-Edo (literally, as we see Edo being built).
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#42]
The series is spectacular.

The tea ceremony.

The funeral.

It's so excellent bringing all of the subtly of it together.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#43]
We're currently binge watching Fargo, except for Tuesday when the new Shogun episode is up. Both are really good, especially Fargo.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#44]
It's amazing Japan ever prospered. Everyone wants to kill themselves all the time!
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:17:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Earl_Basset:
It's amazing Japan ever prospered. Everyone wants to kill themselves all the time!
View Quote

Overpopulation and scarcity of resources will do that.  Life becomes cheap.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Earl_Basset:
View Quote
I remember the venerable Sylvan once opining that it was a culture based on shame.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By highstepper:
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Definitely. Played the old salt dog character very well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#48]
That was a great setup episode.  Hopefully Blackthorne and Yabushige fuck shit up.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#50]
The tea ceremony unexpectedly got me in the feels.  Between that and seconding the seppuku Buntaro got his heart torn out.  He's going to go fucking berserk when they cut him loose in battle.  

Also looking forward to Blackthorne/Yabushige riverine special ops.
Page / 8
Who's watching shogun (Page 5 of 8)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top