Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Who's watching shogun (Page 6 of 8)
Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I am caught up to the current episode #8 and I have a question. Were they really lady bosses in that era? I get the feeling women were pretty much treated like property back then and then all the sudden a lady boss pops up.  Is that realistic for that time frame or is that just modern wokeness infecting every thing good?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
I am caught up to the current episode #8 and I have a question. Were they really lady bosses in that era? I get the feeling women were pretty much treated like property back then and then all the sudden a lady boss pops up.  Is that realistic for that time frame or is that just modern wokeness infecting every thing good?
View Quote

It's aristocracy. Feudalism. Family name. Title.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:
I got a chuckle out of the attention to detail.  The lords all sit cross-legged, rather than in stereotypical "samurai seiza".  Seiza was an Edo-period traditional made up so it would be more difficult for courtiers to lunge at one another (or their superiors).  Shogun is pre-Edo (literally, as we see Edo being built).
View Quote

you're right about anza/agoura being period-accurate, but i can tell you for a fact that it is much easier to generate explosive movements out of seiza than anza.  think of seiza as a cocked hammer, with your legs tucked under you so that you can make immediate use of the most powerful muscles in your body.  anza has no such positional energy.

when tokugawa (toranaga's historical model) decided to tame the samurai, ogasawara ryu reigi became the basis for warrior-class etiquette.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like things are about to get really spicey
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sirensong:

you're right about anza/agoura being period-accurate, but i can tell you for a fact that it is much easier to generate explosive movements out of seiza than anza.  think of seiza as a cocked hammer, with your legs tucked under you so that you can make immediate use of the most powerful muscles in your body.  anza has no such positional energy.

when tokugawa (toranaga's historical model) decided to tame the samurai, ogasawara ryu reigi became the basis for warrior-class etiquette.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I got a chuckle out of the attention to detail.  The lords all sit cross-legged, rather than in stereotypical "samurai seiza".  Seiza was an Edo-period traditional made up so it would be more difficult for courtiers to lunge at one another (or their superiors).  Shogun is pre-Edo (literally, as we see Edo being built).

Ogasawara is still kicking around to this day.

https://www.iccho-ogasawara-ryu.com/about-us
Japanese version

I do Kyudo and while we are not Ogasawara Ryu, we certainly look at the taihai movements from Ogasawara. Their control is insane.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ZF-1:

Japanese version

I do Kyudo and while we are not Ogasawara Ryu, we certainly look at the taihai movements from Ogasawara. Their control is insane.
View All Quotes

Japanese version

awesome - thank you for posting this!  i might give their zoom reigi course a shot.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:38:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZF-1] [#7]
What an episode.

Wow.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy shit, Mariko
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like one more episode.  Is there going to be a second season?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:
View Quote

I believe just the one season as far as I can find out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Fushaw:

Sama is not a male honorific. Its a gender-neutral honorific for people of higher status.

San = Mr./Ms.
Sama = Sir/Ma'am, your honor, your lord/ladyship, your grace, etc...

None of the common Japanese honorifics are gender specific
View Quote

But if that's true, GD can't be all outraged about gIrL pOwEr and go watch something with titties and explosions
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#14]
What an episode.

Wow.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

So awesome.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:48:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Alex_F:

But if that's true, GD can't be all outraged about gIrL pOwEr and go watch something with titties and explosions
View Quote

One less trivial thing for GD to not be outraged over I guess.

This show has been very minimal on the GiRl PoWeR and has kept pretty well to the script of the book. Women aren't beating up 200lb men.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Will re-read the book after the series finale next week.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:
View Quote

The producers said they were going to follow the book faithfully and that the story ends there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#18]

This show has been very minimal on the GiRl PoWeR and has kept pretty well to the script of the book. Women aren't beating up 200lb men.

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alex_F:

Click To View Spoiler

Agreed. I understand the aversion to the "strong female" role.

But they're playing this pretty straight as far as I can tell.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I knew we were going to see shinobi. Wasn't as crazy as The Last Samurai, but I'll take it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:22:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 549] [#20]
Originally Posted By Kihn:

The producers said they were going to follow the book faithfully and that the story ends there.
View Quote

I read an interview with the actress that plays Mariko and it was said that due to the popularity of the series, a second season is maybe being considered.

I hope not. I'd rather it end as a really good miniseries than something that declines and either get cancelled mid-season or needs to commit seppuku.

Speaking of, was that what Mariko was going to do, or was she going to stab herself in the heart?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:46:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kihn] [#21]
Originally Posted By 549:

I read an interview with the actress that plays Mariko and it was said that due to the popularity of the series, a second season is maybe being considered.

I hope not. I'd rather it end as a really good miniseries than something that declines and either get cancelled mid-season or needs to commit seppuku.

Speaking of, was that what Mariko was going to do, or was she going to stab herself in the heart?
View All Quotes

She played the hand she was dealt. Loyalty and duty. Hardcore.

Click To View Spoiler
The series is so well done. the recreation of the buildings and gardens. All of the formality and the wicked mind games buried in subtlety. High level strategizing within the formalities of the culture, deep abstraction of thought, and then such highly skilled killers. Killing each other. In a blink of an eye.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Newest episode was really good.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#23]
This has been the best series on TV in a while.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:39:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cyclone] [#24]
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
Anjin Wick.

At least he got some Mariko before it all went down.
View Quote

Mariko was quite the hottie...............curious to see the next episode, which I think is the series finale. Toranaga finally going to open that can of Crimson Sky on Ishido
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Click To View Spoiler
The series is so well done. the recreation of the buildings and gardens. All of the formality and the wicked mind games buried in subtlety. High level strategizing within the formalities of the culture, deep abstraction of thought, and then such highly skilled killers. Killing each other. In a blink of an eye.
View Quote

I understand she was going to kill herself, but it didn't seem like she was holding the knife to slit her belly, but rather to stab herself in the chest. Just seeking clarification of the method.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Anjin had sleight of hand equipped
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#27]

I understand she was going to kill herself, but it didn't seem like she was holding the knife to slit her belly, but rather to stab herself in the chest. Just seeking clarification of the method.
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

I think she was going to stab herself in the heart............
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Not reading the thread. But I am.

Im enjoying it.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Haven't seen the show or read the 6 pages of this thread. But the book was a let down
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:55:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kihn] [#30]

View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

Yeah, Pretty sure that was the formality for women. In a ritual form.

Seppuku kind of has an ambiguity to it IIRC.  People doing it out of sense of duty. To display loyalty/ fealty. As a form of protest to influence their master to see the error of their ways. Others doing it so they don't become prisoners of war.

Others ordered to do it as a punishment, possibly without the benefit of a second. It's a very formal technique for gut splitting. Some did it poorly and would take a while to die if not given the courtesy of a second. Like days. It's a display of courage in the face of death thingy. IIRC. Seeing their true mettle.

When they spoke of Toranaga seconding for the defeated lord, when he was twelve years old, early in the series (2nd maybe), the lord asking Toronaga to second for him, that could have been as much about embarrassing Toranaga as anything. It was poor form to not get it right. A shameful thing. So last act of defiance. Or he could have sincerely wanted the lord whose army beat him in battle to take his head, out of honor, respect, envy, whatever.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bully13:
Haven't seen the show or read the 6 pages of this thread. But the book was a let down
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 13starsinax:
This has been the best series on TV in a while.
View Quote

That's truth. I'm waiting till Friday to catch the last two episodes. It's been great so far.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

technique was into the throat, and out to one side.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:15:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Newnimprovedusername] [#34]

View Quote

IIRC she says something earlier along the lines of her heart being pierced.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:27:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DoverGunner] [#35]
If anyone is interested Netflix has a show Age of Samurai/ Battle for Japan. It has 6 episodes. The sixth episode is about where Blackthorne would have showed up. It tells of the ruling and dying Daimyo setting up a council of regents to protect his son until he is of age.

Lord Toranaga in real life would be Tokugawa Ieyasu.
Only if you are interested
ETA
The actor playing Blackthorne is from New Jersey and his first name is Cosmo I kid you not
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:32:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: macaho45] [#36]
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#37]
The show is killer. After next weeks finale I will watch it again in one sitting so that I may enjoy it again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

I've enjoyed it immensely.  It's well done and a breath of fresh air compared to the other crap I've been watching recently (although I admit I enjoy any 'samurai' movie, not because I'm part Asian, but because of the rigid culture and how alien it is to us - I couldn't do it).
I totally agree, her fighting the men and then giving up was much more realistic.  You could tell they were holding back a bit because the royalty was watching and she was royalty and no one wanted to be the guy to kill the high lady.  Her guards attitude of "we die today!" was part of the culture that fascinates me since I couldn't do it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I really love the Yabushige character or more accurately the actor playing the role.  He and the Blackthorn actor have the huh type mannerisms down well.  Not sure what needs to be in spoiler or not since it has been a few days since the last episode.  I'll throw it in spoiler just in case.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 7:
I really love the Yabushige character or more accurately the actor playing the role.  He and the Blackthorn actor have the huh type mannerisms down well.  Not sure what needs to be in spoiler or not since it has been a few days since the last episode.  I'll throw it in spoiler just in case.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Women would generally commit seppuku by cutting their carotid.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:44:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ZF-1] [#42]
Attachment Attached File

#TRUTH

That being said, Mariko is the MVP so far and finally got her wish.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#43]
To everyone saying this is a great series

You have fine taste

Love this show and wish it could go on for a few seasons though I get wanting to stay close to the source

Scenery, buildings, costumes, how the actors act like it's the 1600s
Pure TV magic

I hope more series like this come out in the near future going up to the end of the samurai
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:59:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZF-1] [#44]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#45]
it's finally over, sad ending but it was still nice. and fuji is so beautiful.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#46]
The part with Toronaga and Yubishige was amazing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Cool ending.

The structure of the whole series was pretty brilliant. Western storytelling in the first half and Japanese in the second half.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Just finished the last episode
Not a fan of the ending

Just didn't seem "right" in keeping with show
Very anticlimactic
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By craig24680:
Just finished the last episode
Not a fan of the ending

Just didn't seem "right" in keeping with show
Very anticlimactic
View Quote

Ya I was quite disappointed in the ending.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By griffin86:
The part with Toronaga and Yubishige was amazing.
View Quote

I can see why they went that way. They didnt want to have Toranaga do a voiceover at the end, so they gave him somebody to talk to.

And I dont dislike it...

but I think I prefer Yabu's seppuku scene in the original.
Page / 8
Who's watching shogun (Page 6 of 8)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top