BCM
User Panel

Who's watching shogun (Page 7 of 8)
Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By griffin86:
The part with Toronaga and Yubishige was amazing.
View Quote

I can see why they went that way. They didnt want to have Toranaga do a voiceover at the end, so they gave him somebody to talk to.

And I dont dislike it...

but I think I prefer Yabu's seppuku scene in the original.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Too much playoff hockey on tonight, I will watch finale tomorrow.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
No epic final battle.  Boo.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:39:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:05:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Anjin and Fuji were awfully close all of a sudden in the last episode.  I read the book years ago and saw the first Shogun when it came out, but this version seems to have skipped over some things between them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Click To View SpoilerOverall I very much liked the newest version for the most part.  Mifune was a better Toranaga.  

Click To View SpoilerThe sets and costuming were much better but the lighting ruined alot of that.  This  was too darkly lit most all the time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:08:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ZF-1] [#7]
Great ending. Amazing series.

Click To View Spoiler

Do you think Blackthorne really really figured it out at the end? They make it seem like he might have....
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:40:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kihn] [#8]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:
Anjin and Fuji were awfully close all of a sudden in the last episode.  I read the book years ago and saw the first Shogun when it came out, but this version seems to have skipped over some things between them.
View Quote

All this talk of a second season. Maybe it is the filler for all of the subtlety/ subterfuge.
the Actress who played Mariko, as per an earlier post, saying if the series was successful in its first season, that there may be more. The only way she is coming back is if it's all prequel to the door being blown.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kihn:

All this talk of a second season. Maybe it is the filler for all of the subtlety/ subterfuge.
the Actress who played Mariko, as per an earlier post, saying if the series was successful in its first season, that there may be more. The only way she is coming back is if it's all prequel to the door being blown.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Sure looks like they ran out of money for the last episode.  I enjoyed it anyway, but I can't say I'm pleased about missing the big battle.  Doing it right would cost them millions, and if we have to use our imaginations a bit for otherwise excellent shows like this to be economically viable then I understand that, but I do think they built up expectations that they were unable to meet.  The episode with the cannon practice ending with the slaughter of Ishido's messengers was practically a promise of more to the audience.

Reminds me of the old Sharpe's Rifles TV series with 50,000 man battles sketched very faintly with closeups and low angle shots of 10 extras and a cannon.  Or Game of Thrones season 1 when Tyrion got knocked out on the way  to the battle and woke up afterwards.  I was disappointed but still look back at them fondly and rewatch on occasion.  

The real main character of the show is Mariko and the creators said 95% of what they wanted to say with episode 9, which was a masterwork.  Shouldn't have been surprising that a finale episode without her after that emotional roller coaster was going to be an obligatory epilogue with limited resources.  We might consider ourselves lucky they didn't tack a Blackthorne/Toranaga reaction scene and a three minute montage and a scrolling text on to the end of episode 9 and call it good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:40:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kihn] [#11]

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#12]
FWIW, in some of the behind the scenes interviews they would sometimes use the term “this season”.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kihn:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Thought Fuji stopped him from dropping
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#14]
The shows was called a limited series.

I'd be extraordinarily suprised if they did a season 2.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I think they might've changed something in response to Fuji's fanbase, she's very popular now. Moeka Hoshi is cute as hell!

https://www.instagram.com/moekappa823/?hl=en
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By craig24680:
Just finished the last episode
Not a fan of the ending

Just didn't seem "right" in keeping with show
Very anticlimactic
View Quote

Agree.

Didn’t flow well either. Kind of wondered if it were a budget or time constraint issue.

And the dream thing. That season of Dallas came to mind.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#17]
The more I think about the more disappointed I get.

It's obviously not bad, but I don't feel like I gained much from this series.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

View Quote

Think of it as another of Toranaga's plots. The viewers got suckered into thinking they would be watching a show about Anjin, it was actually a japanese production about Toranaga's rise to power.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#19]
final episode was a total let down to me. and the more i think about it the more im let down.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:

Think of it as another of Toranaga's plots. The viewers got suckered into thinking they would be watching a show about Anjin, it was actually a japanese production about Toranaga's rise to power.
View Quote

I get that. I was very interested in Toranaga's rise. Maybe it's just my expectation as a Westerner, but the actual payoff for all of his scheming wasn't there.

Just "hey that shit?  I did that lol"

Just felt like more crescendo would be involved.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I get that. I was very interested in Toranaga's rise. Maybe it's just my expectation as a Westerner, but the actual payoff for all of his scheming wasn't there.

View Quote

Yeah I understand, it does feel like they had budget problems. Seems like they blew too much of the show's budget in the first 4 episodes and then had to drag the dialog out for filler.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By GTwannabe:
No epic final battle.  Boo.
View Quote

Disappointed

As someone unfamiliar with the story I kept watching, expecting it to get better. I had no idea I was watching House of Cards, Japan.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:28:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#23]
Originally Posted By StevenH:

Disappointed

As someone unfamiliar with the story I kept watching, expecting it to get better. I had no idea I was watching House of Cards, Japan.
View Quote

House of Cards had huge payoffs at the end of each early season.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Had my hopes for this show.
It Sucked!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

As a show about feudal Japan I figured it was about Toranaga and the white dude was along for the ride

Few tweaks and the last episode would have been an epic end

I didnt care for large battle as those are hard and $$$$ to film
Maybe some action and closure

All we got was a plan a month away and note claiming the Heirs army wouldn't help Ishido (spelling)

Few moments of Toranaga carrying out his plan and aftermath is good enough for me

Overall a very good series but could have been great due to last episode
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:41:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#26]
Originally Posted By craig24680:

As a show about feudal Japan I figured it was about Toranaga and the white dude was along for the ride

Few tweaks and the last episode would have been an epic end

I didnt care for large battle as those are hard and $$$$ to film
Maybe some action and closure

All we got was a plan a month away and note claiming the Heirs army wouldn't help Ishido (spelling)

Few moments of Toranaga carrying out his plan and aftermath is good enough for me

Overall a very good series but could have been great due to last episode
View Quote

Exactly. Don't blow your load early and just tell people what's going to happen... but SHOW it. Show the heirs army staying away.  Show Ishido's reaction.  Show Toranaga becoming Shogun.

This is just all edging with no finish.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:53:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fike] [#27]

View All Quotes

Going back to what I said earlier.

Originally Posted By fike:
The structure of the whole series was pretty brilliant. Western storytelling in the first half and Japanese in the second half.

This is my poem:

Life is learning to love the limitations of reality, not hating when expectations are not met.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:01:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#28]
Originally Posted By fike:

Going back to what I said earlier.

This is my poem:

Life is learning to love the limitations of reality, not hating when expectations are not met.

View Quote

The story deserved more.

I've long said the Sengoku period is a fascinating time in history that deserves to be told to Western audiences.

Shogun absolutely had the potential to do so and there were excellent elements throughout the series that showed they WERE good story tellers, but they just didn't stick the landing. Blame Japanese story telling if it's appropriate, but this largely didn't do it for me, and a lot of people are going to be disappointed with this.  It's not their fault for having high expectations when the quality throughout the series is so high.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:10:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fushaw] [#29]
I feel like the show ended about 1 chapter and epilogue before the book's ending.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Exactly. Don't blow your load early and just tell people what's going to happen... but SHOW it. Show the heirs army staying away.  Show Ishido's reaction.  Show Toranaga becoming Shogun.

This is just all edging with no finish.
View Quote

That's fair they could have off screened the battle only to show the aftermath and wrap up with another episode.

However, I'm thinking they realized stretching it for another episode may have left the Finale a little short and paced weirdly.  So I'm okay with how it ended.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

That's fair they could have off screened the battle only to show the aftermath and wrap up with another episode.

However, I'm thinking they realized stretching it for another episode may have left the Finale a little short and paced weirdly.  So I'm okay with how it ended.
View Quote

The ending itself is FANTASTIC.

The presentation of the ending... is not so much.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#32]

The story deserved more.

I've long said the Sengoku period is a fascinating time in history that deserves to be told to Western audiences.

Shogun absolutely had the potential to do so and there were excellent elements throughout the series that showed they WERE good story tellers, but they just didn't stick the landing. Blame Japanese story telling if it's appropriate, but this largely didn't do it for me, and a lot of people are going to be disappointed with this.  It's not their fault for having high expectations when the quality throughout the series is so high.
View Quote

On one hand HBO could've pulled it off better than FX if they had a Game of Thrones-level budget. But on the other hand the mandatory DEI probably would've made it even worse.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Would have liked to see Ishido buried up to his neck.

Guess if you wanna catch an epic battle scene with Hiroyuki Sanada you can rewatch The Last Samurai.

Tadanabo Asano suicide v2...you can see v1 in last remake of Midway. Almost gets killed in Battleship.

Guess we'll see more of Anna Sawai in next season of Monarch.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Tangotag:
Had my hopes for this show.
It Sucked!
View Quote

glad i didnt waste my time
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow.

So because people didn't get a full scale, 1 hour long Sekigahara battle, with cannon splashing Ishido and his men to the 4 winds, the show sucks? Didn't live up to the hype? Worst ending ever?

Really?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:

glad i didnt waste my time
View Quote

It's still a very good show with a good ending.

People who aren't familiar with the book and the show's purpose were expecting a large, LotR type battle scene.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#37]
There was never going to be a depiction of the battle of Sekigahara.

It was always going to be off screen. why? because it was meaningless, its conclusion was already settled.

The climax of the story was the bomb that blew open a door.

Everything after that is just rocks rolling down a hill.

My biggest complaint about the show is that they changed the "if you win" conversation too much.

And they left out a scene of Anjin ( and Toranaga) dancing for Toranaga's wives/consorts. Which would have given context to the "he makes me laugh" line.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ZF-1:
Wow.

So because people didn't get a full scale, 1 hour long Sekigahara battle, with cannon splashing Ishido and his men to the 4 winds, the show sucks? Didn't live up to the hype? Worst ending ever?

Really?
View Quote

I don't think anyone said that.  Most have been saying it was pretty underwhelming compared to the rest of the series, which it was.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Can somebody explain to my why that smelly protestant pirate left the bird to rot and putrefy before cooking and eating it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:
Can somebody explain to my why that smelly protestant pirate left the bird to rot and putrefy before cooking and eating it?
View Quote

Because the British are disgusting savages, that's why.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Ohio:

Because the British are disgusting savages, that's why.
View Quote

Wow that show is so realistic :)
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Anjin’s advanced age makeup was pretty bad. That’s my only disappointment… & not getting a Mariko nude scene.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#43]
In the book the finale happens off-stage.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#44]
The story was never about the battle.  It was about the politics and infighting that was part of history during that period.  If you want to go see some big battle BS go rewatch Tom cruise last Samurai.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Book readers feel the same way about the book.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Having read the book many times, I thought the show was decent, but short-changed the Anjin.  By making him largely obdurate and objectionable until episode 9, they couldn’t really explain why Mariko and Toranaga had strong feelings and respect for him.  And, the Toranaga of the book isn’t really portrayed in the show.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like one more episode.  Is there going to be a second season?
View Quote

I mean, they covered the entire novel.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:53:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlabamaFan64] [#48]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

View Quote

Well, I asked that question before the final episode came out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Looks like one more episode.  Is there going to be a second season?

They can do Tai Pan next.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

That fair. Not really a ton of material after the ninja attack though.

To those who say the show sucked… are you smoking crack? It was extraordinarily well done. I wish the final episode had been done a bit differently, but it was still very good. The rest of the show? Amazing.
Page / 8
Who's watching shogun (Page 7 of 8)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top