BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#2]
$1 a drink. If the drinks are priced correctly, that'll be 20%.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this a "tips for me only" or "tips for us all who work here" situation?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kanati:
I hope it kills tipping culture all together.
View Quote
Not possible unless they get paid more in direct compensation. Nobody's going to work a waiting job that doesn't pay enough to live on.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jb31:

This.  Also need to know more info than bill and tip.  What if I order one beer and $50 in to go food.  I'm not tipping 20% on that.  Now that I'm thinking about it, tipping based on price alone is stupid.  Why should the tip for a $40 steak be more than a $15 burger?  A $18 top shelf margarita vs $8 well?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jb31:
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
I am not a shitty tipper, but I would immediately turn around and leave any place with that sign.  And I would tell the manager why.

This.  Also need to know more info than bill and tip.  What if I order one beer and $50 in to go food.  I'm not tipping 20% on that.  Now that I'm thinking about it, tipping based on price alone is stupid.  Why should the tip for a $40 steak be more than a $15 burger?  A $18 top shelf margarita vs $8 well?

That $100 single pour of expensive liquor took as much effort to pour $8 worth of well liquor. Tipping on price is retarded, but deeply ingrained.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#6]
There used to be a bar in Rifle with a big sign behind the bar, the 86 list.  All in Calligraphy no less.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#7]
At first I assumed that was in a back room.

Pretty ballsy and bullshit too.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it's pretty funny
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe those people got Shitty Service so they gave a Shitty Tip

Customers should start a Shitty Service board

Tips are not automatic..they are earned
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#10]
How would the bartender know my name?

Is cash now excluded at bars?

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Why don’t they just raise the prices 20%? Oh wait, they’ve already done that.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
Shitty Tippers is a great name for a garage band.
View Quote

Damn! True!

Do bad I don’t sing, play any instruments, am tone deaf & have no rhythm—otherwise I would do that.

Does Go Daddy already own the website?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By HangfiresGhost:
Not to be confused with tipping over the shithouse.
View Quote

Cow tipping was a thing where I grew up in the 1970s
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#14]
The whole tipping industry/racket has gotten insanely out of hand.  I refuse to be bullied into tips.

When a tip is earned, one is given, but you do not get a tip simply for existing. For example: The lady that cuts and washed my hard is awesome. She is friendly and provides an excellent service at an excellent price.  I generally tip her 30-35%.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I am not a shitty tipper, but I would immediately turn around and leave any place with that sign.  And I would tell the manager why.
View Quote

Same, though they wouldn’t care.

Zero sympathy for people who put themselves in professions that are tip dependent.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Titty Shippers
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Needing a tip for doing a job that a Coke machine at a 7-11 could do.

Yeah... Nah... Stay in college if you dont want to be replaced by a soda fountain..
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I chewed out a bartender for being combative with customers about tips. If her shitty attitude was causing me problems then she needed to shut the fuck up.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
Not possible unless they get paid more in direct compensation. Nobody's going to work a waiting job that doesn't pay enough to live on.
View Quote

Nobody is supposed to outside of high end places.  Do you really believe the waitress at Chillis should be making enough to buy a median income home?  Her job requires no education beyond 6th grade and little skills.  The market should determine her worth.  But, in 2024 we have stupid high minimum wages and now expectations of 20% or higher tips on already inflated food costs.  I'm actually surprised more restaurants haven't gone out of business.  We are dual income no kids and both make well over the median income, even for our upper middle class area, and even we have cut back on eating out.  How the fuck does the average Joe afford this shit?

Again, these services jobs are not meant to support a fucking family.  They are to supplement income or help with expenses while in college or buy that first car for a high schooler. It's fucking retarded that "living wage" is even a term.  It's not supposed to be a living wage.  Applebee's isn't a career.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kanati:
I hope it kills tipping culture all together.
So be it.

I love traveling in Europe and not having to mentally tack on 20-30% to my dinner expenses while ordering.

Take it out of me up front and quit standing there with sad puppy dog eyes and your hand out.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
The manager would either tell you to your face to go ahead and get lost, or he would be nice to you and then he and all the bartenders would laugh and mock you once you were out of sight.

That sign is evidence that the ownership itself doesn't give a fuck about cheapskates and pretentious assholes, so good luck with that little lecture to the manager.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Sacrosanct-Potato:
Needing a tip for doing a job that a Coke machine at a 7-11 could do.

Yeah... Nah... Stay in college if you dont want to be replaced by a soda fountain..
View Quote
They can't afford college without tips.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#24]
If you're offended by that sign this, this is you:
We have vanilla, chocolate and strawberry

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#25]
They can't afford college without tips.
View Quote

No worries, Obama 2.0 is discharging their student loans at our expense.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I tip bartenders extremely well ($20 minimum), and always get great service
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a great tipper, and even I don't give bartenders a flat 20% everytime.

If I order a round of tequila shots for my group, I'm tipping for the 20 seconds it took them to pour the shots, not the marked up total the bar owner charges. I'll usually give them $5 for that transaction.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
They could open for the Butthole Surfers.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:23:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: packinheavy] [#29]
Originally Posted By thawntex:
The manager would either tell you to your face to go ahead and get lost, or he would be nice to you and then he and all the bartenders would laugh and mock you once you were out of sight.

That sign is evidence that the ownership itself doesn't give a fuck about cheapskates and pretentious assholes, so good luck with that little lecture to the manager.
View All Quotes

And I would go home to my own home, with good healthcare, a job wih a good pension and other investments, and not give two shits about people who are failing at life.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#30]

I bartend on the weekends and this is CRINGE.

However, it does ruffle my feathers when I give someone excellent service and they give little/no tip. I try not to dwell on it too long.

Great example- a retired AF guy stayed 30 minutes past closing at had 7 drinks between him and his wife. We hand-wash and polish all glassware before serving so it's somewhat labor intensive. $0 tip.

When I go out I usually tip $1 / beer or 20%, whichever is greater.

Originally Posted By TheBeaverRetriever:
I've said this previously but the entitlement surrounding tips is getting egregiously out of control.
View Quote

Have you ever been a bartender before? It's more work than people realize. I'm not saying it's HARD, but I AM saying that not everyone is good at it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Andr0id:
View Quote
I generally tip better at the gun club, VFW or American Legion, then.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
I would just tip zero, and then tell them I did it because I wanted my name up in lights!!
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By packinheavy:
And I would go home to my own home, with good healthcare, a job wih a good pension and other investments, and not give two shits about people who are failing at life.
View All Quotes

There's that pretentious asshole talk we talked about.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

Or is it reality?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Yep, this is me.  

The tipping culture is absolutely insane.. people do alot more, complex and detailed work (even customer service facing) without tips.  This idea that servers and bartenders do something so special that they deserve at least 20% of the value is just insane. I worked retail and would often help customers for 20-30 min at times, and never got a tip (FAR more work than holding a plate) and was paid less.  The entitlement needs to go.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Meh, it's kinda funny. To be fair of those tips are pretty weak. It's probably just mostly regulars they're jabbing

A bar I go to once in awhile kinda does the opposite with a Big Tip alarm, if someone gives a big tip they'll slap a big red fire alarm looking button that sets off a horn and spinning red light so everyone knows.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#37]
The bad tippers need to report this abuse to their credit card companies.  I bet this merchant would be forced into cash before too long as they become blacklisted for violating the law.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Both of the people at my business who bartend have six-figure salaries, 6+ figures in the bank, and health insurance.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:27:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mudholestomper] [#39]
Lol who gives a fuck?

"I poured liquid in your glass and you didn't pay me extra for doing it!"

Get fucked.  If you want more money, get a better job.

These are the same type of assholes demanding $75k/yr to do entry level, zero responsibility jobs and who are shaming the CEO of Kellogs for trying to sell more cereal.  Fucking leeches.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:27:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#40]
Originally Posted By atavistic:
How would they know your name?
View Quote

Card you before service?

Funny how the list is all guys first names?

Gay bar or women don't buy their own drinks?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Pay with cash and fuck you, you aren't getting my name.

View Quote

Until your neighbor is in the bar at the same time, knows the bartender and tells him who you are.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dopple:

I tipped 100% last night.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By djkest:

Both of the people at my business who bartend have six-figure salaries, 6+ figures in the bank, and health insurance.
View All Quotes

But they aren't the ones putting up shitty tipper signs.

I bet the ones who put up this sign aren't doing that well.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I always tip good for good service and would find that amusing.  

And from knowing people in the service industry it wasn't expected that 20% was a tip. Throw the delivery driver a few bucks and he's okay.  Never got stink eye from a bartender when I tossed them a buck a beer.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Madcat207:

Yep, this is me.  

The tipping culture is absolutely insane.. people do alot more, complex and detailed work (even customer service facing) without tips.  This idea that servers and bartenders do something so special that they deserve at least 20% of the value is just insane. I worked retail and would often help customers for 20-30 min at times, and never got a tip (FAR more work than holding a plate) and was paid less.  The entitlement needs to go.
View Quote
And all these tip cups at every business that has a service counter.  Waiting to see it at an auto parts store next.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:32:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shack357] [#47]
Originally Posted By redfish86:
Meh.

If you can’t afford to throw the chick a buck when you order a beer, maybe you should stay at home.
View Quote

If the owner can't afford to pay the chick a decent wage, and relies on me to pick up the balance, he shouldn't be running a business.

Most states, if not all, if the tips don't bring the server to minimum wage the owner is required to cover the difference. Don't listen to "I'm a poor waitress with a hungry kid at home and I only make $2 per hour".
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By pj1016:
Gotta be a dive bar.

That coffee can holding the straws has to be 50 years old...
View Quote

Definitely a shithole. I can smell the stale beer, cigarettes, bad breath, ugly people, and desperation.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

Sounds like you have a nice restaurant, not a shitty dive bar subletting the back of a minority church in an abandoned shopping outlet.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#50]
They can be replaced by a vending machine.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top