Bitch please
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
pre-covid, i was probably averaging 30% tips.  now, it's 15%.   it's ridiculous
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FistPeso:
I would purposely not tip if I seen that board.
View Quote

Saw.  If you saw that board.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

View Quote

I am not a carpenter, I don’t saw boards.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By taliv:
pre-covid, i was probably averaging 30% tips.  now, it's 15%.   it's ridiculous
View Quote
I still do 20% and go higher if they do a great job.

Poor dude the other day was struggling, and pretty obviously new to the job. He still got a bit more than 20% because the effort was there.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By packinheavy:
But they aren't the ones putting up shitty tipper signs.

I bet the ones who put up this sign aren't doing that well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By djkest:
And I would go home to my own home, with good healthcare, a job wih a good pension and other investments, and not give two shits about people who are failing at life.

Both of the people at my business who bartend have six-figure salaries, 6+ figures in the bank, and health insurance.

Perhaps they're not doing so hot financially, but the ability to publicly ridicule bad customers has to have some value.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:
That board would be an invitation to my friends to be the top  shittiest tipper
View Quote

Ah, good ole Texas values.
Even the assholes are bigger in Texas.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

Tomato, potato
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:37:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#9]
Originally Posted By TheBeaverRetriever:
I've said this previously but the entitlement surrounding tips is getting egregiously out of control.
View Quote

Considering half the servers you're tipping provide shitty service to begin with - 100%.

I always tip 20% (even for sub-par service) because I know if I don't, some asshole server (that sucks at their job and didn't deserve a decent tip) will tell their co-workers (not telling them the part where they provided shitty service) and they'll think I'm some cheap bastard shithead who never tips people.

Tipping has really gotten out of control in this country too - I walk up to the counter at a Starbucks to pay for a coffee that was handed to me and I'm prompted for a tip? What the actual fuck am I tipping for?

I order Panera (through the app) for pickup (that I myself drive and walk into the store to get) - again, why is there a tip prompt for something like that?

Do restaurant workers get pissed when people don't tip to pick up their food themselves at the restaurant?

And to be clear, I always tip when I pick orders up - I just think it's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By thawntex:
Perhaps they're not doing so hot financially, but the ability to publicly ridicule bad customers has to have some value.
View All Quotes
And I would go home to my own home, with good healthcare, a job wih a good pension and other investments, and not give two shits about people who are failing at life.

Both of the people at my business who bartend have six-figure salaries, 6+ figures in the bank, and health insurance.

Maybe they are shitty servers?

Either is possible, with the likelihood of shitty customers being greater in my experience.  But it's still a bad look.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
I am not a shitty tipper, but I would immediately turn around and leave any place with that sign.  And I would tell the manager why.
View Quote

it looks to be in a back room and those are pretty egregious shitty tips.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
There is a near complete lack of understanding of tavern/dive bar culture on this site
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#13]
They need a “shitty titties” board next to it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
I'm already paying you 1000% markup to pour cheap booze into a cup and hand it to me.

"Don't take wooden nickles."
View Quote

go to a liquor store and buy a plastic handle instead of going to a bar then.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
20% has pretty much been their basic expected tip for the last 12yrs.
View Quote

12? it's been customary for more like 30+
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ryandushku:
There is a near complete lack of understanding of tavern/dive bar culture on this site
View Quote
Boy ain't that the truth.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By shack357:

If the owner can't afford to pay the chick a decent wage, and relies on me to pick up the balance, he shouldn't be running a business.

Most states, if not all, if the tips don't bring the server to minimum wage the owner is required to cover the difference. Don't listen to "I'm a poor waitress with a hungry kid at home and I only make $2 per hour".
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By redfish86:
Meh.

If you can’t afford to throw the chick a buck when you order a beer, maybe you should stay at home.

If the owner can't afford to pay the chick a decent wage, and relies on me to pick up the balance, he shouldn't be running a business.

Most states, if not all, if the tips don't bring the server to minimum wage the owner is required to cover the difference. Don't listen to "I'm a poor waitress with a hungry kid at home and I only make $2 per hour".

MN is different from many states and tips aren't a part of minimum wage.  So of minimum wage is $15, then they are always making all their tips on TOP of that $15.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I am surprised by the large number of bartender simps in this thread.

I tip according to service quality.  Some people get no tips, some get 100% tips. And everything inbetween.  Tips are like bonuses.  No one is entitled to either, they must be earned.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#19]

I am not a carpenter, I don’t saw boards.
View Quote

Thank the British for this bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

There is a local market that posts pictures of shoplifters on the glass as you go in. It hasn't changed much since they started doing it. Being on the shoplifting wall of shame seems to work.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I am not a shitty tipper, but I would immediately turn around and leave any place with that sign.  And I would tell the manager why.
View Quote

My fucking local pool supply place decided after the water test they would put your sheet up on the wall of shame (literally labelled 'wall of shame') if it wasnt perfect.   Turned around and left havent been back.  Now i buy all my own shit online and have my own chemistry set.  

Cant believe the owner would allow that.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Dieselman:

I tip according to service quality.  Some people get no tips, some get 100% tips. And everything inbetween.  Tips are like bonuses.  No one is entitled to either, they must be earned.
View Quote

That's how it's supposed to be, but the culture has shifted to "20% no matter what, or else get labeled a shitbag - oh and also, put their name on social media"

It's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I will take the opposite side.  Either tip well or say home.  Are you really using your last dollar to buy alcohol in the bar?  You should just tip well in general because it is good for your soul.  Man, cheap people suck.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

If he was in that bar, he'd seen it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Just like every other public establishment, there are good ones and shitty ones. Most times someone bitching about tips are the ones who do little to deserve them in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:57:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#26]
Originally Posted By AZLaw:
I will take the opposite side.  Either tip well or say home.  Are you really using your last dollar to buy alcohol in the bar?  You should just tip well in general because it is good for your soul.  Man, cheap people suck.
View Quote

I always tip 20% no matter what - even for shitty service, but it shouldn't be that way. That's not how tips are supposed to work.

That's the problem with tipping - it went from "tipping somebody for doing a great job as your server" to "you're an asshole if you tipped 10% for a server who didn't do a good job at being a server"

You're just expected to tip regardless of your experience.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:58:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ryandushku] [#27]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

That's how it's supposed to be, but the culture has shifted to "20% no matter what, or else get labeled a shitbag - oh and also, put their name on social media"

It's ridiculous.
View Quote
I don't disagree about the current tip culture bullshit but I don't think this is necessarily related. I've seen similar signs in taverns before going way back, it's just a way to kinda horse around. Usually it's just a way to get a little banter going
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Just like every other public establishment, there are good ones and shitty ones. Most times someone bitching about tips are the ones who do little to deserve them in the first place.
View Quote
Lol, you just further proved my point
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
They can be replaced by a vending machine.
View Quote

Actually, they can't. It wouldn't meet the legal requirements for serving alcohol.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Actually, they can't. It wouldn't meet the legal requirements for serving alcohol.
View Quote
Laws change.  usually for the worse, tho.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:02:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thawntex] [#31]
Originally Posted By Dieselman:

View Quote
And no one is entitled to an outstanding degree of service when they order a bottle of Coors at a bar. The bartender can't do much more to earn a dollar tip than acknowledge you, be polite, pop the top, and hand it to you. The sense of entitlement goes both ways, and it's evident that some people expect to be treated as if they're at the Mansion on Turtle Creek when they're in a dive bar.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#32]

as someone contemptuous over modern tip expectations, I will be the fist to say, those are some shitty tippers.   None of those are what I'd call just a bit below 20%.  They are effectively zero tips, or insult level tips.  $2 on a $220 tab, is not exactly a 15% tip.

I'll also say that's one place I would not patron.  The staff is focusing on being vindictive and has expectations and demands, or they will Get Even.  Fuck that, I'll go to a place where the staff attitude is: The tips are great.  Some people don't tip, and I don't even worry about it, on to the next one, it works out good by the end of the night.   THAT's the venue to go to, andn teh one where they are actually focusing on their job.  Whatever establishment that is, fuck them - that whole place is blacklisted as far as I'm concerned.  Not to Get Even, just it's a place I don't expect to get good service or a pleasant night at.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Absolutely this!  Maybe the tip was never earned. Tips should not be guaranteed.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
That is arguably a good thing to be ignorant of once you reach a certain age.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By atavistic:
How would they know your name?
View Quote

My first thought also.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Where is the shitty service list?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Better pour them strong.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
That is arguably a good thing to be ignorant of once you reach a certain age.

https://y.yarn.co/b008a4ac-5600-4696-b09a-c2c38c4bc819_text.gif

View Quote
Regardless, that mean it doesn't exist
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By redfish86:
Meh.

If you can’t afford to throw the chick a buck when you order a beer, maybe you should stay at home.
View Quote

They don't want a buck.  They want at least 20% of the cost of that beer just to pour it in a glass and hand it to you.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:08:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: packinheavy] [#40]
Is it really a dive bar if it's not cash only?

There are a ton of places trying to pose as dive bars to attract the hipster crowd.

ETA:

Although I guess this isn't true anymore as I think about the places I'm in and out of.  Evolve or die I guess.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By AZLaw:
View Quote

Why would you continue to enable entitlism?  Society will never improve if all incentives are removed.

Are you also in favor of universal basic income?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Bullseye100:

Absolutely this!  Maybe the tip was never earned. Tips should not be guaranteed.
View All Quotes

If someone spends $100-$200 bucks at a dive bar, some server(s) earned a decent tip. You can still get a bottled beer at my local hole-in-the-wall for $3.50. Some of those tabs were racked up by people who may have hung out for hours, ordering 30 or 40 drinks and then stiffing their servers at the end of the night.

Gimme a break.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Lol, you just further proved my point
View Quote

There are taverns with a 50 person customer base that might put up a sign like that for a while, but the attitude behind it is what I am addressing.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I’d be happy to not return to their establishment and not tipping at all.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Please define “decent wage”.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#46]
There was a bartender that would yell out "on the bar goes in the jar" and grab money from the bar where people paying cash left their change front their last drink. Most of those people did this because this same bartender would pad their tabs if they ran a tab. He got fired after nearly getting his ass stomped after a cash grab. It took several people to get an irate patron off of him.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Bay Street bar has shitty servers. Got it, I'll go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm tipping way too high. New goal (Gray Man) just stay off the list.
It's not going to work out how they think it should.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
Shitty Tippers is a great name for a garage band.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#50]

They don't want a buck.  They want at least 20% of the cost of that beer just to pour it in a glass and hand it to you.
View Quote

Most places around here, a beer is $5, ergo $1 tip

But if a beer is $4, are you really going to wait around for your two dimes?
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top