BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
I am not a shitty tipper, but I would immediately turn around and leave any place with that sign.  And I would tell the manager why.
View Quote

Same here.

That entitled mentality is completely off-putting and I'm not giving my business to any place that would do something like that.

It's really just human nature. They should do an experiment and leave that sign up for 6 months, then take it down and put another sign up that says something like "we appreciate your business, tips are not required but are appreciated" and track how much they make over each period.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not cute or funny and it seems like a textbook example of "you catch more flies with honey...".
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a local gas station 20 minutes from me that I frequent because of work. It is indian owned. They used to put stills from the cctv of people stealing beer from the beer cave. They posted them on a bulletin board with the title “idiots in the cave”.

I liked that.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Why is OP in downtown Jax?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
If they put my name on that list, I would wipe my ass with a dollar bill and tip them with that.

The title "Shitty Tipper" would take on a whole new meaning for them.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:19:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thawntex] [#5]
Originally Posted By Bullseye100:

They don't want a buck.  They want at least 20% of the cost of that beer just to pour it in a glass and hand it to you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By redfish86:
Meh.

If you can't afford to throw the chick a buck when you order a beer, maybe you should stay at home.

They don't want a buck.  They want at least 20% of the cost of that beer just to pour it in a glass and hand it to you.
OK, a buck sixty

What do you want them to do in addition to pouring it into glass and handing it to you? You're just reinforcing the point that you're better off buying beer at the store and drinking it home. You go to a bar to be served beer, i.e. having it poured and handed to you. That is why you pay the extra $1.60.

Some of you are really overthinking this.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By djkest:

Actually, they can't. It wouldn't meet the legal requirements for serving alcohol.
View Quote

They absolutely can and will.  AI and robotics will solve that problem.  There are already robots that can mix drinks.  With facial recognition, it can positively identify you and confirm your age.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Please define "decent wage".
View Quote
Enough to pay their bills. It's amazing to me that GD still struggles to understand this concept. If they can't even afford food and a one bedroom apartment,  they aren't going to do the job. Nobody's going to work for negative income.  It's not 1968 anymore. People can't live on 1968 pay anymore. It sucks that we have a broke dick economy, but we do.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By atavistic:
How would they know your name?
View Quote

Cards
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]
There used to be a bar out in the country not far from my farm that served big delicious burgers with ham and two types of cheese and the rest of the works.  These were the best burgers I ever had in my life.  I would go there about twice a week and get a burger and a beer.  The college aged girls that worked there were amazing!  They were very friendly and did an excellent job as wait staff.  The burger was $6.99 and the the beer was $3.00.  I would give a twenty dollar bill  and tell the waitresses to keep the change everytime!  That is a 100% tip.

Fast forward a few years and the place burned to the ground, new owners bought the property and rebuilt it using the existing business name.  None of the old staff works there. The food is mediocre and the wait staff has a chip on there shoulder. Condesending attitudes are the norm and service is sub par.  I rarely go there and when I do, the staff is lucky to earn more than about a 5% tip.  

Moral of the story, want a big tip? Cool, put in a little effort and you will get one.  Want to act like an entitled cunt while I am eating lunch?  Get zero tip from me.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:22:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uglygun] [#10]
Sounds like a bunch of randoms need to start showing up one night a week.

No Tip Tuesdays.

That or Shit in the Sink Saturdays with their tip laying under a coil of rope.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Meh.

If you can’t afford to throw the chick a buck when you order a beer, maybe you should stay at home.
View Quote

If she has to extort you for handouts under the threat of public shaming, maybe she needs a better job.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Jokes on them I have a well stocked bar at home.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
Enough to pay their bills. It's amazing to me that GD still struggles to understand this concept. If they can't even afford food and a one bedroom apartment,  they aren't going to do the job. Nobody's going to work for negative income.  It's not 1968 anymore. People can't live on 1968 pay anymore. It sucks that we have a broke dick economy, but we do.
View Quote

Atleast we have a definition now. I have always wondered if “decent wage” meant eating out every night of the week and using Uber Eats daily while living well above your means while driving a new car and having a new iPhone every year while watching HBO with your AC turned to 67 on a hot summer day and having a door or window open so your multiple pets who eat wet food can come in and out as they please.

Im glad we now know it means just being able to afford food and a 1 room apartment.

As much as I hate bad tippers. If its a trend where you work its either you or the customers. And if its the customers than its time to get a new gig.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
I hope it kills tipping culture all together.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kanati:
Originally Posted By TheBeaverRetriever:
I've said this previously but the entitlement surrounding tips is getting egregiously out of control.
I hope it kills tipping culture all together.

If you think your drinks at bars and restaurants is expensive now, wait til they do away with tipping.

Alcohol sales keep the entire place running at their current prices, without contributing to the bartenders take home, which is pretty much 100% tips.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I am not a shitty tipper, but I would immediately turn around and leave any place with that sign.  And I would tell the manager why.
View Quote
I don't think a manager that relies on customers subsidizing employee pay through tipping is going to care.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ske714:

If she has to extort you for handouts under the threat of public shaming, maybe she needs a better job.
View Quote
I agree. Embargo China and Mexico, and she can get a job in a sewing factory.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't see any 10-20% tips in the OP.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I give $1 tip for each drink served by a bar tender.

If I'm eating food at the bar I will tip the bartender 20% for the food.  

That is the rule of thumb I have held to for decades now.  If that's not enough than they need to talk to their elected officials and demand that inflation be brought under control.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:30:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torf] [#19]
View All Quotes

Please define "decent wage".
You are really going to have to qualify this better.  As a responsible adult, I can think of a million ways to improve my lifestyle far beyond my means and the only thing impacted would be "monthly bills".
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes

Because bartending and sewing are the only jobs women can do?

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

What exactly does that mean?  Can you give me a number?

What’s amazing to me about GD is that some don’t understand how much that drink would be if the bartender were paid a “decent wage”.

Hint:  that $5 beer plus a buck tip would be a hell of a lot more than $6 out the door.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:38:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: odiedodi] [#22]

View Quote
They can do more, but baby boomers outsourced most of them. They can't get skills if they don't make enough to afford formal education. If they're fortunate enough to reach that point, then they get to compete with pajeet and his h1b friends.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

There are taverns with a 50 person customer base that might put up a sign like that for a while, but the attitude behind it is what I am addressing.
View Quote
Dude, you're just furthering my point. It's just a thing I'm sure they do kinda fucking around, that "attitude" is part of their identity I guess you'd say. I'd bet most people on that list are at least semi regulars. If you're offended by it they probably don't want you as a customer. It's just kind of the way some places are

I think the people relating this bars sign to the current tip culture bullshit are not understanding it correctly
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#24]

What's amazing to me about GD is that some don't understand how much that drink would be if the bartender were paid a "decent wage".

Hint:  that $5 beer plus a buck tip would be a hell of a lot more than $6 out the door.
View Quote
There is no hard number because it floats with inflation and local price variances. I'm sure you can calculate the bare minimum needed to live in your area.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I bet 5 bucks that's not a bar frequented by blacks.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ryandushku:
There is a near complete lack of understanding of tavern/dive bar culture on this site
View Quote
Absolutely.  Bartending in both nice places and dive bars was my second job for quite a few years.  Loved working in dive bars, and made pretty okay extra money at it. It's been 20 years, but nothing has changed, according to old friends.
The best one, I worked at for a couple of years, and we had visible lists of who was banned, and when the ban would be lifted, and also a visible list of who was late paying their tab.  We let regulars run tabs through the week, and they paid on Friday.  No pay on Friday, your name is going up on the wall, and all the other regulars are going to call you or drop by your house and give you some crap until you go pay your tab.  :)  Dive bars have a good relationship between employees and regulars, I was invited to and attended quite a few 4th and 5th weddings, a couple funerals, and a lot of birthday parties.  Nice dysfunctional families that will support each other in times of need.  

Non-bartender-tippers:  You're missing out on some good bartending skills, like making sure you get the coldest beers, the burliest mixed drinks, and tips on which chick is considering bailing on her man.  A bartender you have treated right will make sure you don't just stand there waiting for a drink on a busy night, make them just like you like them, not mention that you were here last night with a different person, and let you hide in the stockroom if your angry man/girl or the cops are spotted coming in to the bar.  We will even make sure everyone shuts up and turn the music off so you can call out from work, or call home cause you got "got stuck working late".   If you're a real cool regular, I ain't seen you for months, heard you cleaned up your act and just work a lot now. Good dude.  Or maybe you were here till closing, helping fix the fridge.  Your call.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:43:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#27]
They can do more, but baby boomers outsourced most of them. They can't get skills if they don't make enough to afford formal education. If they're fortunate enough to reach that point, then they get to compete with pajeet and his h1b friends.
View All Quotes

Funny, almost everywhere I go, I see women with jobs.  None of them are bartenders.

ETA:  There are plenty of ways to aquire marketable skills without a formal education. Standing behind a bar isn't one of them.  It's what you call a dead end job.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#28]
They should learn to code
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BattletweeteR:
I bet 5 bucks that's not a bar frequented by blacks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Screw 'em.  I quit drinking 5 years ago and now they gey NONE of my money.  And I realize I get a whole lot more done...
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
I give $1 tip for each drink served by a bar tender.

If I'm eating food at the bar I will tip the bartender 20% for the food.  

That is the rule of thumb I have held to for decades now.  If that's not enough than they need to talk to their elected officials and demand that inflation be brought under control.

View Quote

Kinda in the same boat, but specifically for beer, the 30 seconds or less it takes to take my beer order, crack one and set it on the bar is worth $1

Couple of bucks or more per glass of wine.

Cocktails, based on how elaborate or how well made (ie; smoked old fashioned), or how heavy the pour in the case of neat always garner more tips IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FistPeso:

They absolutely can and will.  AI and robotics will solve that problem.  There are already robots that can mix drinks.  With facial recognition, it can positively identify you and confirm your age.
View Quote

That's STILL not enough

Bartenders are also liable for your level of intoxication.

You can't hold an AI responsible for serving someone underage, or overserving.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#34]
There is no hard number because it floats with inflation and local price variances. I'm sure you can calculate the bare minimum needed to live in your area.
View All Quotes

What's amazing to me about GD is that some don't understand how much that drink would be if the bartender were paid a "decent wage".

What sorts of extraneous "nice to have" expenses are included in this bare minimum?

980 square feet of living space, with no roommates?  Labor saving devices and pre-packaged food in the kitchen?  Monthly cable/internet/phone/streaming bills topping only $200 a month?  Your own automatic washer and dryer?  Unlimited air conditioning?

Your post is meaningless, especially so since you state "pay the bills", which could be many thousands a month.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:57:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FistPeso] [#35]

That's STILL not enough

Bartenders are also liable for your level of intoxication.

You can't hold an AI responsible for serving someone underage, or overserving.
View Quote

AI can absolutely do that.  Link

“Utilizing OpenAI's ChatGPT and facial recognition features, the Mixmaster Moodie serves drinks based on the user's mood and voice inflections.”

The legal thing can easily change with the tech.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Who cares? What are they gonna do go light on my iced tea pour?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I tip $1 per drink unless it was an amazing drink, then I tip $2.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#38]
If you break it down technically ...
For restaurants, you're usually just tipping the waiter/waitress for the service they provide you.  Some states and places allow tip sharing but not all.

For a bartender, they are essentially the cooks making the drink so not tipping for that. It's the quality and quantity of service you tip for.  Usually crappy service when it's crowded earning a small tip.  When it's slow and they spend a lot of time interacting with you that should receive a large tip.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Who the fuck says a server deserves a "living wage"  It is asinine.   They are a server, not performing rocket surgery.   They can be replaced by a robot or a 14 year old.  They shouldn't be making enough for a decent house, because it is a job that requires almost no skills.  The market should decide their rate.  There are a handful of professional servers at high end restaurants that earn real money as a career.  The fucking Applebee's waitress does not deserve the wages anywhere near any skilled trade, and certainly not anyone near a mid-level white collar worker.  They are a fucking waitress or bartender.  Period.  

I've done both and my wife for some unknown reason STILL does even though she is an Executive.  It is a low skilled job and should be paid as such.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By packinheavy:
But they aren't the ones putting up shitty tipper signs.

I bet the ones who put up this sign aren't doing that well.
View All Quotes
And I would go home to my own home, with good healthcare, a job wih a good pension and other investments, and not give two shits about people who are failing at life.

Both of the people at my business who bartend have six-figure salaries, 6+ figures in the bank, and health insurance.
But they aren't the ones putting up shitty tipper signs.

I bet the ones who put up this sign aren't doing that well.

Lol before my wife quit to have our kid, three days a week avg $1700 a week( during the week) when she worked weekends she’d do that in two days

She didn’t put up a sign she’d just call you out on it in front of everybody and if you were a known whiny cheap ass she would serve you when she felt like it….
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Dude, you're just furthering my point. It's just a thing I'm sure they do kinda fucking around, that "attitude" is part of their identity I guess you'd say. I'd bet most people on that list are at least semi regulars. If you're offended by it they probably don't want you as a customer. It's just kind of the way some places are

I think the people relating this bars sign to the current tip culture bullshit are not understanding it correctly
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

There are taverns with a 50 person customer base that might put up a sign like that for a while, but the attitude behind it is what I am addressing.

You're completely right. Like it or not, that is indeed part of their identity. You either accept it and patronize them, or you don't.

It's like Deep Ellum in Dallas. Pretty much every bar or club has that kind of fuck you attitude. If you go down there, that's how you can expect to be treated. Don't like it, don't go, but if you do, you know what you're getting into and have no right to be pissed. If you go without knowing what you're getting into and get pissed, good luck doing anything about it. It's been that way for at least 30 years.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Dieselman:
Pay with Cash.

Leave No Tip

Win
View Quote

Same.  And I am a good tipper usually.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Actually, they can't. It wouldn't meet the legal requirements for serving alcohol.

Robots don't replace people the way you think they do.  Even if you have a robot mixing and serving, someone will be there to support the robot.  I still takes almost as many people.

AI is a computer with the ability to learn, so it has nothing to do with a robot serving drinks.  Everything would be hard coded.  Almost nothing they say uses AI actually does.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I’m fine with leaving no or a garbage tip.

But i also won’t ever be back to a place i do that to so they will never have to worry about it again.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I would make a board of Shitty Bartenders and Waitress staff.

Why would anyone tip for shit service?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#46]

I'm not saying it's HARD, but I AM saying that not everyone is good at it.
View Quote

Lots of people are shitty at it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Kunta_Kinte:
I would make a board of Shitty Bartenders and Waitress staff.

Why would anyone tip for shit service?
View Quote

+1 Toby, +1.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:19:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lorax] [#48]
View Quote

We just quit our membership at our Yacht Club over this shit.
While we always treat our servers well (I bartended PT for 18 years), when the nasty old hag who can't remember a drink order for 4 steps without asking you again felt she didn't get the proper tip from a member, she would wait until they went into the dining room and then immediately start talking shit loudly to everyone sitting at the bar about the member who she believes didn't tip enough. And she totally sucks at her job outside her shitty personality. As a member, when they had special occasions, I would help her for free so she didn't get buried. She loved it because all the tips were hers. Any member helping out got nothing. The days she wasn't there......all tips were required to go back to the club. No big deal. But I sure wasn't about to bust my ass, do 3x the work as her and have her sit back and make bank off of me on those days I helped. I stopped doing it. Couldn't stand being around her nastiness.

They won't get rid of her, because she kisses the ass of the board, plays up to them and juices their drinks for them,  so a bunch of us quit.
Seriously. What kind of private club allows that?

If I saw that sign, I would walk out as well.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

If they could be  you wouldn’t be in a bar in the first place
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Look at the board. Most of those people are tipping 0-3%
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top