BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zach_:

Accordi g to bar owners I know, there are 2 types of bartenders. Ones that steal a little, and ones that steal a lot.
View Quote

Yeah, but you still owe 'em 20%, shitty service or not!
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

That's how it's supposed to be, but the culture has shifted to "20% no matter what, or else get labeled a shitbag - oh and also, put their name on social media"

It's ridiculous.
View Quote

And all from knobs who couldn't make it in a higher profession.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Rheinmetall792:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Accordi g to bar owners I know, there are 2 types of bartenders. Ones that steal a little, and ones that steal a lot.

I am not a moe ron. I drink liquor. I tip over 20% so I can actually taste the alcohol in my drinks. Some folks here do not understand that a one visit stop at a watering hole is different than being a 5 day a week regular at your favorite place where people know you.
Fucking amateurs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By uglygun:
Sounds like a bunch of randoms need to start showing up one night a week.

No Tip Tuesdays.

That or Shit in the Sink Saturdays with their tip laying under a coil of rope.
View Quote

I like it. They could even have No Tip Team uniforms. One team could be big burly guys wearing shirts that say Free Mustache Rides and talk like Green Bay union factory workers.  🏭  Hey youse guyz....where's my freakin' be'-er?? I ain't gettin' no younga ova heres.....
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By thirdruffian:
Tipping is out of control around here.  I stopped in Hardee’s for a coffee on Saturday morning and there was a tip jar on the counter.
View Quote

Even freakin' Smoothie King makes you manually decline to tip every time. Some people tip out of guilt.

Brilliant strategy. Against those who carry innate guilt.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:47:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob940] [#6]
Originally Posted By ad_nauseam:

Pizza joints get away with paying under min-wage because of tips.
View Quote
Every pizza place I worked at started at min wage.

Ordered boneless wings and mozzy sticks from Pizza Hut tonight. Total $18 and change. Gave the driver $25. Usually give $6-7 tip. One driver I used to work with years ago (who still does it in his retirement) told me the delivery fees are killing tips. They dont get a penny of it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Rob940:

Ordered boneless wings and mozzy sticks from Pizza Hut tonight. Total $18 and change. Gave the driver $25. Usually give $6-7 tip. One driver I used to work with years ago (who still does it in his retirement) told me the delivery fees are killing tips. They dont get a penny of it.
View All Quotes

Mozzy sticks

wtf
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:35:31 AM EDT
[#8]
If it’s going to break at all, American tip culture will break in the blue states first. In CA we’re already at $20 minimum wage before tips.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Leaving a 2% Tip on a $222 tab is pretty damn shitty.
Thats less than 1%.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:12:31 AM EDT
[#10]
This is why I pay cash
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:13:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to go out tonight and give the bartender an extra tip.

Just because I know a bunch of you in this thread are going to stiff over your Golden Corral or Old Country Buffet server this weekend.

Feel like it's my part to bring equilibrium to this universe.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By PatriotAr15:
Thats less than 1%.
View Quote

While I agree with your sentiment, I cannot agree with your math. 2% cannot be less than 1%.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
OP, fix your title.

2% tip would keep your name off that list.

2% is the new 20%.
View Quote

There is one that is just under 4 percent (2 dollars for a $53.42 tab) but, yeah, most are way less.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HK-GUY45:
It’s so fucking ridiculous. For poor/medium/great service it used to be 10/12/15. Then it was 12/15/18. Then came 18/20/22. Not too long ago I saw suggested tip on the receipt 20/25/30. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to print out suggested tip for 30 percent on their checks?
View Quote

I've seen more and more of those "suggested tips" calculated post tax as well. I guess they count on people having the math skills of the OP.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Bar Tenders demand?  Go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By fargo007:

There's also a linear relationship between shitty tippers and people who refuse to wash their hands in the men's room.
View Quote

A linear relationship could mean a very small coefficient.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

My 2nd wage job was in a restaurant in the U district. Every night I was sent to the bar (a separate room 100' away) to get a 16 oz glass of ice filled with vodka for the cook.  I don't know how or why that deal was worked out. I came in one night and the crusty old head cook/manager was cooking again.  The alcoholic was fired.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got a weird hunch that many of the people on that list are the types that frequent Red Lobster for fine dining when they're not causing food fights at Waffle House.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

Are you paying the asking price for the product? Yes? Then why do you need to pay more? Does the asking price not cover operations? Then adjust prices accordingly and allow the consumer to decide if the total cost is worth it.

When I go into Peter Harris to buy a pair of pants and the sales clerk pulls my size and rings me up, I don't expect to tip her nor does she expect a tip. The company decides what they need to charge to keep the lights on and employees paid. There is transparency. If the price is too high in my estimation, or the service sucks, I shop elsewhere.
View Quote

You’re paying for the experience that’s why, booze covers the overhead for the place to have the experience, the tips pay for the experience itself
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Bad service gets 15% from me.  It's not always their fault.  However, my manager and I got drinks at the bar before dinner, and the bartender was too busy talking to a server to be bothered with making our drinks.  My manager didn't leave a tip, and I thought it was appropriate.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Thats less than 1%.
View Quote

Math much?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:18:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#22]
Originally Posted By Wsr4325:

You’re paying for the experience that’s why, booze covers the overhead for the place to have the experience, the tips pay for the experience itself
View All Quotes

Are you paying the asking price for the product? Yes? Then why do you need to pay more? Does the asking price not cover operations? Then adjust prices accordingly and allow the consumer to decide if the total cost is worth it.

When I go into Peter Harris to buy a pair of pants and the sales clerk pulls my size and rings me up, I don't expect to tip her nor does she expect a tip. The company decides what they need to charge to keep the lights on and employees paid. There is transparency. If the price is too high in my estimation, or the service sucks, I shop elsewhere.

When is the last time you tipped a professional or technician 15-20-25% for actual knowledge that was gained by years of education, schooling, or technical training? Yeah, didn't think so.

But we tip people for a job that most can do after a few days. Now, it may take longer to do it WELL, but to start, it's a day or two of training, and tossing the person out onto the floor. Hell, I'd rather tip the chef for a good meal rather then the person that drops it onto the table.

Frankly, it's the greed of management and the servers that is causing this mess, if the management had paid more hourly [they are pretty much all cheap fvcks] and the servers/staff had been happy with 10%, few would bitch. But nope, both sides want to extort an excessive GRATUITY from the customer that is VOLUNTARY for excellent or exceptional service when most is just ''good'' at best.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:18:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#23]
Originally Posted By BoomFootShot:

This definitely true……

And even if it is, which it isn’t, bartenders who fit this decision are .000000000000002% of the bartender population. So you proved nothing, unless you’re just releasing this information out there as a public announcement.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BoomFootShot:

This definitely true……

And even if it is, which it isn’t, bartenders who fit this decision are .000000000000002% of the bartender population. So you proved nothing, unless you’re just releasing this information out there as a public announcement.

It IS true, but I'm glad you can call me out. I could easily prove it if I needed to.

It's not as rare as you suggested.

.000000000000002%

That means in a world with 7.88 Billion people...

7880000000 * (.000000000000002/100)  = 0.0000001576 people / earth

And one of them is me. Are you suggesting that I am one in 7.88 billion at best? That makes me feel so much better about myself.

Or you just lack a certain amount of critical thinking skills.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I figured out a little known hack to get around all this and the crazy prices at bars and restaurants.

I simply no longer go to bars and restaurants.

There is also an added bonus besides just saving money.

All the food is full of sugar, seed oils, and food additives. Avoiding that toxic shit is better for your health.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#25]
OP, fix your title.

2% is the new 20%.
View Quote

GD is bad at math.  

Eric left 3% and still got on the board.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

When is the last time you tipped 15-20-25% for actual knowledge that was gained by years of education, schooling, or technical training? Yeah, didn't think so.

But we tip people for a job that most can do after a few days. Now, it may take longer to do it WELL, but to start, it's a day or two of training, and tossing the person out onto the floor. Hell, I'd rather tip the chef for a good meal rather then the person that drops it onto the table.

Frankly, it's the greed of management and the servers that is causing this mess, if the management had paid more hourly [they are pretty much all cheap fvcks] and the servers/staff had been happy with 10%, few would bitch. But nope, both sides want to extort an excessive GRATUITY from the customer that is VOLUNTARY for excellent or exceptional service when most is just ''good'' at best.
View Quote

I’m talking about the experience of being there, not the experience of the bartender
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#27]
i heart GD tipping threads!
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#28]

I’m talking about the experience of being there, not the experience of the bartender
View All Quotes

When is the last time you tipped 15-20-25% for actual knowledge that was gained by years of education, schooling, or technical training? Yeah, didn't think so.

So I should tip the customers and those I came with? Shiiiiiiiit...................Where the hell are all my tips I was supposed to be getting all these years?

If you are going to drink cause the server/tender smiled at you, you are an idiot. Stay at home, buy a better bottle of hooch, and drink in front of a mirror and smile every time you pour yourself one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Ege:

With the way things have gone the last few years, the pro-tipping crowd has melted away.
View Quote

I’ve always been a regular 20-30% guy, probably more on drinks.  The problem is service took a giant dive while tip expectations went up and every asshole on the planet started thinking they deserved tips.  Now it’s 15% most of the time because while I refuse to stiff someone sub par service, no way I’m giving 25% for the bare minimum with a shit attitude.

Good service at a regular or low end joint is pretty dang rare these days.  The media has everyone in shitty jobs thinking they are victims so it’s ok to be shitty.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MaximusEmanatus:
Bad service gets 15% from me.  It's not always their fault.  However, my manager and I got drinks at the bar before dinner, and the bartender was too busy talking to a server to be bothered with making our drinks.  My manager didn't leave a tip, and I thought it was appropriate.

View Quote

We went to a popular national restaurant chain location in Addison TX a while back. I was buying for 6. They took 10 minutes to take our drink order. Took another 15 minutes to get the drinks there. The food took a loooong time to get there. They fucked up our food. Two of the 6 orders were  wrong. They forgot one order completely. It took another 20 minutes to get the forgotten order. They had to be reminded twice to get our second round of drinks. My sister asked to speak to the manager of course (100% Karen). The tab was ~$180. Manager knocked off $30. I stiffed them. My sister left $30 cash on the table (to my dislike). That was my one and only bad experience at that chain.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#31]

So I should tip the customers and those I came with? Shiiiiiiiit...................Where the hell are all my tips I was supposed to be getting all these years?

If you are going to drink cause the server/tender smiled at you, you are an idiot. Stay at home, buy a better bottle of hooch, and drink in front of a mirror and smile every time you pour yourself one.
View Quote

Bartender sets the mood of a club good or bad

A good bartender will have everybody happy and having  fun
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#32]
What most of you don’t realize is your  cheap attitude shows almost immediately, so most bartenders are not going out of the way for you, the good ones will still give good sevice to you even knowing you’re gonna be a nothing tip
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FMJ3:

GD is bad at math.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FMJ3:
OP, fix your title.

2% is the new 20%.

GD is bad at math.  

Jaimee left the most, percentage-wise.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#34]
What most of you don’t realize is your  cheap attitude shows almost immediately, so most bartenders are not going out of the way for you, the good ones will still give good sevice to you even knowing you’re gonna be a nothing tip
View Quote

Eh, just sneak your own bottle of good hooch in. Fill 3-4 ''airline size'' bottles with some good stuff, order one drink and then refill as needed.

$1 tip, 75% off drinks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By thawntex:
Mozzy sticks

wtf
View All Quotes

Mozzy sticks

wtf

Mozzarella sticks.

I am curious as to where the delivery fee goes, if not to the driver. Most drivers have to provide their own car, insurance, and gas while delivering. The only thing that Domino's ever gave me when I delivered was a sign to put on my car, and $0.30 per run on top of the tip.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:14:38 AM EDT
[#37]
She just lost their votes for Congress.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#38]
How would they get your name?  Looks like a beef with some of the locals...they all went to high school together.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:38:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PatriotAr15] [#39]
Originally Posted By LHA-2:

While I agree with your sentiment, I cannot agree with your math. 2% cannot be less than 1%.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LHA-2:
Thats less than 1%.

OMG That mistake is too hilarious, I'm going to wake my kids up from laughing!
I meant to say $2 Tip, which out of $222 tab is a bit less than 1%. I got the symbols mixed up somehow while typing up my response.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:39:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Math much?
View All Quotes
Thats less than 1%.

Math much?
LOL, I meant to say $2 tip not 2% tip. My math was right, I just somehow stupidly put a percentage sign after that 2 when I meant to type a dollar sign in front of it. Not sure how I made that mistake.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:43:48 AM EDT
[#41]
What most of you don't realize is your  cheap attitude shows almost immediately, so most bartenders are not going out of the way for you, the good ones will still give good sevice to you even knowing you're gonna be a nothing tip
View Quote
It's funny how Midwesterner's are the one that understand this.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:46:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By glock27bill:
How would they get your name?  Looks like a beef with some of the locals...they all went to high school together.
View Quote
That's all it is. It's just some bullshit they do with regs, dumb tavern shit. GD would have to leave the basement to understand.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:50:43 AM EDT
[#43]

I am not a moe ron. I drink liquor. I tip over 20% so I can actually taste the alcohol in my drinks. Some folks here do not understand that a one visit stop at a watering hole is different than being a 5 day a week regular at your favorite place where people know you.
Fucking amateurs.
View All Quotes

Fucking amateurs.

Pros have a group of friends you hang out with at a home or cigar lounge and take turns buying the $50 bottle of bourbon you share and don’t need to pay 400% mark up on the booze and 20% to the bar wench.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:52:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Thats less than 1%.
View Quote

I’d go $3 to make it a nice $225
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:56:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

I've seen more and more of those "suggested tips" calculated post tax as well. I guess they count on people having the math skills of the OP.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:
Originally Posted By HK-GUY45:
It’s so fucking ridiculous. For poor/medium/great service it used to be 10/12/15. Then it was 12/15/18. Then came 18/20/22. Not too long ago I saw suggested tip on the receipt 20/25/30. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to print out suggested tip for 30 percent on their checks?

Our tax is 8%, so doubling is my starting point. Average service will get you at least double the tax rounded up. Shit service you’ll be lucky to get the tax. Great service goes triple the tax and up.

I don’t drink at bars because fuck 400% markup and then tip on top of that. I also don’t drink at restaurants for the same reason. Wife likes wine or a cocktail when we have dinner, go for it honey, but I’ll pass. Plus I’m driving.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:03:57 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

The “experience?”

I go to a cigar lounge for the experience. I buy a cigar from them and I smoke it there. They provide the lounge/experience. There is no tipping expected. They pay the employees a known wage and the cigars are prices to cover the nut of running the store and lounge. See how that works?

The staff empty ash trays, recommend cigars based on preferred flavor profiles. Maybe bring you a water/soda/coffee. They do far more than a bartender does.

Charge what it actually costs to run your business and stop surreptitiously passing the cost onto your customers and guilt8ng them into paying your employees an honest wage because you won’t.

Fuck the tipping culture. Yes I’ll participate on the rare occasions we dine out, but I’ll admit it does impact how often we go out,
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:08:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By fargo007:

There's also a linear relationship between shitty tippers and people who refuse to wash their hands in the men's room.
View Quote

Just the tip?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:09:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Kitulu:

Mozzarella sticks.

I am curious as to where the delivery fee goes, if not to the driver. Most drivers have to provide their own car, insurance, and gas while delivering. The only thing that Domino's ever gave me when I delivered was a sign to put on my car, and $0.30 per run on top of the tip.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kitulu:

Mozzy sticks

wtf

Mozzarella sticks.

Just another way they hide the true cost.

I NEVER order delivery because of the bullshit they pull and the attitude of the drivers… don’t tip me well and you get your shit cold or you get th3 “special sauce.”

Fuck you, hope the stoners with munches are enough to keep you employed because nobody I know is doing delivery any more. We all go out and pick our food up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:12:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ryandushku] [#49]

Just another way they hide the true cost.

I NEVER order delivery because of the bullshit they pull and the attitude of the drivers  don't tip me well and you get your shit cold or you get th3 "special sauce."

Fuck you, hope the stoners with munches are enough to keep you employed because nobody I know is doing delivery any more. We all go out and pick our food up.
View Quote
The OP and current tipping culture are not related. This is a silly thing to fuck with regs at a dive bar . You know that right?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:12:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Mach:
I figured out a little known hack to get around all this and the crazy prices at bars and restaurants.

I simply no longer go to bars and restaurants.

There is also an added bonus besides just saving money.

All the food is full of sugar, seed oils, and food additives. Avoiding that toxic shit is better for your health.
View Quote

I need to embrace your solution.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top