Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]
What about those who don't want tracking?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GoatBoy:

Old or new system and what happens? Link to listing?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cda97:
I can't edit my for sale ad

I was able to.  On your add page upper right corner next to the date there is an edit pen.  Click on that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:56:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BD46] [#10]
GoatBoy, are there plans to make a "nested" listing setup in a single ad (for similar items that are different makes/prices)? There are folks out there who group multiple related items together in a single ad, which helps declutter the listings, and also helps to combine shipping/offer a better deal.

You can still use the new interface, but have a button to "add new item" or something, and fill out the form the same way you normally do.

The new listing method is a direct contrast to the guidance in EE#1 (In order to keep the EE clean, we ask that you combine related items into single ads when appropriate, rather than creating an ad for each related item)

If something like this isn't implemented, the guy that has 6 random $10-$20 AR grips is going to make 6 different ads and spam the board with them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I have no idea how much work went into it, but it looks nice. Well done.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I don’t want to get booted for just saying I hate it (which I do), so I’ll expound on it.

What I like most about forum buying/selling is that it’s not formal like eBay or a website. I just type some stuff out and then 2 guys make a deal. I’m not sure why it needed to be changed entirely after all this time. Also just to note I’m not an old guy who hates change, I’m early 30s and will begrudgingly figure out the new system and give it a try.

If you guys wanted to make more money off it you could have just implemented some kind of fee structure vs changing the whole thing. Seems like a lot of time spent designing something nobody was asking for.

Also I will agree about the lack of a way to do “parts bin clean out” type sales. There should be a way to list multiple things in the same ad, that seems like a big waste of space on the site and my time having to list multiple 10 dollar items rather than just putting them all together.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Already covered this. Fees will replace the old dealer program and not impact team members.
View Quote

I had looked into becoming a dealer, but I am way too small to afford the $3k a year fee. Are you saying I could sell, with fees now? Without a dealer account?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a great way to track items and crawl up everyone's ass.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#18]
You should also require a minimum of 100 posts on the forum to be able to use the EE.  That is another way to cut down on scammers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Just wanted to say that I really like the new interface. I'm sure there will be bugs to work out, but I think it's a good change overall and I look forward to using it.

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:33:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RightNYer] [#22]

We agonized over the multiple item per listing and decided to just keep it simple and force more listings to be made. The complexity of managing nested sales wasn’t worth it for now. Maybe things change in the future but for now that was the one sacrifice. We may be able to do something for ads having options. So for your grip example yes we could create a drop down to select the specific option to buy, but to cross different categories would not be recommended.
View Quote

I wholly disagree.  The problem is that for small items, things are often not worth the cost to ship.  But on the flip side, doing something as a "lot" doesn't work either if the buyer doesn't want everything. Having a way to list 100 random things with a flat "$8 shipping, no matter how much you order" makes a lot more sense.

So in your grip example, the $10-$20 grips will cost about $5 (minimum) to ship. I can see someone getting no interest that way, whereas someone who wants say, 3 or 4 of them, might be interested.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I think it would be good to add the sellers username to the ad. There are sellers I try to avoid and some I know are awesome to deal with.

Add the user name after the price??

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#26]

They need to be recreated because the system is so different. Painful but we will give plenty of time to either move or have old ones close on their own.
View Quote

Painful isn't the word I'd use. How long are we talking to create new ads, months?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#27]

So you can add in your listings all your custom shipping rules and it can span across all your listings. Having user “stores” makes it easy for users to see all your listings to buy multiple items with your shipping discount.
View Quote

Got it, so it's still allowed to say "Check out my other listings, additional items from other listings shipped at no extra cost?"
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#28]

The category is still there. No categories were removed other than WTS/WTB because those are listing options and can be assigned to any category now. You can also see them all if you click the WTS or WTB listing type at the top.
View Quote

So the separate categories are still there?

I'll have to keep playing with it, all I saw was a list.

Do we still have state by state?

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Since the EE is being redone, can the Lights & Lasers  Lights & Lasers - Budget categories be changed?  

You can find the a lot of the  same brand, same condition items at any given time in either category.  Examples, Surefire weapon lights are listed in both.

Maybe make one lights, one accessories. Or one weapon mounted lights/lasers, and one other.   Or just consolidate?

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#30]

So you can add in your listings all your custom shipping rules and it can span across all your listings. Having user “stores” makes it easy for users to see all your listings to buy multiple items with your shipping discount.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RightNYer:
I wholly disagree.  The problem is that for small items, things are often not worth the cost to ship.  But on the flip side, doing something as a "lot" doesn't work either if the buyer doesn't want everything. Having a way to list 100 random things with a flat "$8 shipping, no matter how much you order" makes a lot more sense.

So in your grip example, the $10-$20 grips will cost about $5 (minimum) to ship. I can see someone getting no interest that way, whereas someone who wants say, 3 or 4 of them, might be interested.

Is the X number of ads per page rule still going to apply? What if someone wants to do a parts bin cleanout ad, with a few  $3 picatinny mlok adapters, 5-6 cheap muzzle devices, some grips, mlok covers, etc? If the "2 ads per page" rule still exists, and they have to make 30 ads for each little $5 part, it would take them a year to get everything sold.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Again no fees for team members. NonTeam will need to eventually validate via CC to sell. This will help with security checks and scammers. The fee will be minor and cover a year.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FDC:
Ouch.  I originally read it as no fees for team members, but it clearly says no fees to purchase.

I guess team members have to pay to sell, but it's still free to browse and buy.

It's either a poorly worded rule or we're legit charging team members for the EE.  Why do we buy memberships again?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99516/Capture_JPG-3155273.JPG

Again no fees for team members. NonTeam will need to eventually validate via CC to sell. This will help with security checks and scammers. The fee will be minor and cover a year.

That sucks. The arbitrary credit check and $5 fee is a slap in the face to all of us old timers with 100%positive feedback. It comes off as more of a way to try and strong arm people into buying memberships, which will probably have the opposite effect. I know it will in my case at least. It's going to remove a lot of potential buyers and sellers who have been fair and honest with their dealings on the EE. If you have to run a credit report on people, you should keep it limited to new users or no EE feedback members.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:58:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#32]
Originally Posted By BD46:

Is the X number of ads per page rule still going to apply? What if someone wants to do a parts bin cleanout ad, with a few  $3 picatinny mlok adapters, 5-6 cheap muzzle devices, some grips, mlok covers, etc? If the "2 ads per page" rule still exists, and they have to make 30 ads for each little $5 part, it would take them a year to get everything sold.
View Quote

This…. I have close to a dozen items in one active thread in shotgun parts, and another dozen AR parts about to go up between two categories. I’m not wasting my fucking time managing two dozen ads that can’t be seen more than 2 at a time.

Selling “lots” and “bundles” should not this difficult, no way should someone have to link over to their other threads.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I agree with so many others that the old system was simple and it worked. I understand that need or desire to make more money but adding it to the old system would have been so much better. This formal "accept offers" system seems ass as it was easily done via IM but I guess it has to be this way if down the line fees will be assessed to everyone based on a sold price.

Tacswap went to a a CC charge verification system yet scammers are still there. Based on what I have read so far it seems like the new system here will be very similar to theirs as it relates to how ads get created and posted.  Over there you get a certain number of ads for a basic fee.  I hope this new system here will carry over the old rule about not allowing people to piss in peoples ads. Tacsawp is a free for all cesspool regarding that.  

Sniper Hide use to have a minimum post count to sell but took it to another level with insane fees to sell. Like the old saying goes their business their rules.  

It is what it is and I guess we will see if this moves tanks the best EE on the net.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Sgt_Fury:

That sucks. The arbitrary credit check and $5 fee is a slap in the face to all of us old timers with 100%positive feedback. It comes off as more of a way to try and strong arm people into buying memberships, which will probably have the opposite effect. I know it will in my case at least. It's going to remove a lot of potential buyers and sellers who have been fair and honest with their dealings on the EE. If you have to run a credit report on people, you should keep it limited to new users or no EE feedback members.
View Quote

Where did you see anything about a credit check? I read it as a $5 credit card validation just to make sure that a person is in the U.S., etc.

Given the legal requirements imposed by FCRA, I doubt the site would want to take on that kind of liability.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Sooooo......

ARFCOM just created a gun registry, tracking who bought what, and including the geographical information (zip code).

Are you planning to turn over all this data to the ATF and/or whatever litigious minded State Attorney?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Lothbrok:

The simpler answer would be to allow certain categories of the EE to have different quantity limits. So if someone is selling mags, for instance, the quantity is higher than if someone is selling rifles. Changing these scaled attributes makes more sense.

From a software perspective, your solution doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lothbrok:
Originally Posted By charliedontsurf:

So, if I have 20 mags for sale, I would have to sell one at a time because I'm a non Team member now?

That's crazy.

We have thought about items like mags and need to find a solution that makes sense, but you are right for some items a higher quantity is logical. Right now the plan would be to re-list the ad once it's sold. Users can also sell them as a lot, if you had 10 mags you were selling as a single listing. "Pack of 10 Magpul Gen1 Magazines (Black)".

The best long term solution would be to limit quantity based on item value. So an item of less than $10 can have a max quantity of 20, but an item of $10-$20 has a quantity limit of 10. We will play around with it and see what makes sense.

The simpler answer would be to allow certain categories of the EE to have different quantity limits. So if someone is selling mags, for instance, the quantity is higher than if someone is selling rifles. Changing these scaled attributes makes more sense.

From a software perspective, your solution doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

None of it makes sense, other than making images easier for everyone to post.

Way too complicated, from the way it's formatted, seems like getting prepped to make it pay to play.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#37]
My only request so far:  Can you PLEASE finally change the search feature to allow two characters instead of the minimum of three?  You already rate limit it, so it can't be TOO bad.  

It's funny to hear all the old-timers saying that "the old system was better".  I've been around long enough to hear this; not only on this site, but many others, for ANY change made.  I remember when this site went to the current layout and you'd have thought based on the comments that Armageddon had arrived.  All changes suck, but from a data and management point of view, the new system will be infinitely better, safer, easier and all around better - it will just take some time to get used to it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes
Ouch.  I originally read it as no fees for team members, but it clearly says no fees to purchase.

I guess team members have to pay to sell, but it's still free to browse and buy.

It's either a poorly worded rule or we're legit charging team members for the EE.  Why do we buy memberships again?

Yeah, this shit is crazy, and quite disturbing.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

I’m not sure where you guys are getting that from, I’m not seeing anyone mention stuff about an actual credit check. Just the $5 verification charge with a credit card. I would hope and assume they aren’t doing actual credit inquiries on people.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#40]

We can return the ad to active and remove the offer being accepted. Can you give me the link?
View Quote

Pm sent, thank you
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Hi when I go to post it keeps saying that my zip code is invalid?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:48:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cda97] [#42]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cda97:
I can't edit my for sale ad

Old system

When I select edit it takes me to the new system format, can't even see my ad

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/PSA-Metalform-ASC-Colt-style-9mm/24-2422687/

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By CTM1:
I agree with so many others that the old system was simple and it worked. I understand that need or desire to make more money but adding it to the old system would have been so much better. This formal "accept offers" system seems ass as it was easily done via IM but I guess it has to be this way if down the line fees will be assessed to everyone based on a sold price.
View Quote

Yep.

Offers and bargaining back and forth are discussions amongst people, not playing ebay games.

A workaround I guess is to just use fixed price, and then put right up top in the ad that "offers will be considered-just IM me".  Or just do fixed price and let it sort it's self out.

I also just previewed a test ad with a 0 price.  I guess if we do that it drives someone to read the ad.

IMO, it looks like a great sales platform for simple things.  1 $5 bill.  Price 5.68.  More complicated stuff, time and feedback will tell.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#45]
EE search still sucks ass.  There's still no way to filter out threads which have been marked as sold.   More annoyingly, search results don't even show the "SOLD" prefix for threads, even though that data exists, since it gets shown when you open a thread.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Eat_Beef:

This is a terrible idea.  Very few people want to wade through a bunch of WTB/WTT ads (90% of which are garbage anyway, some guy wanting to buy a correct IHC Garand for $500) to see the items for sale.   I've already caught two ads that were reported for this today.

Please put WTB back like it was, there was a reason they are segregated.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Eat_Beef:

WTB / WTT are no longer limited to a single category so now you list it in the category you want. This allows easy filtering/searching and to see them all, you can click on the button at the top for the type of sale you are looking for. (WTB for example.)

This is a terrible idea.  Very few people want to wade through a bunch of WTB/WTT ads (90% of which are garbage anyway, some guy wanting to buy a correct IHC Garand for $500) to see the items for sale.   I've already caught two ads that were reported for this today.

Please put WTB back like it was, there was a reason they are segregated.

Yep
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
You should also require a minimum of 100 posts on the forum to be able to use the EE.  That is another way to cut down on scammers.
View Quote

This only works if mods get to work using the banhammer more for worthless/pointless "+1" post-whoring (which, don't get me wrong, I'd be all for.)  Otherwise it's not much of an impediment.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Why mess with the easiest EE to use on the web, and instead uncomplicate the terrible search engine for the entire site, which has been a peoblem since forever?

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CleverNickname] [#49]
@GoatBoy

Also please bring back the EE RSS feeds, at least for Team members.  I used to be able to set up my RSS reader to alert me when something was posted for sale that I was interested in, and then a couple years ago the RSS feeds got removed.  Periodically searching manually for stuff is dumb when I used to be able to just set a rule and forget about it until I got a match.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks good so far!

Please add a way to add more photo's. Many times more than 5 is needed.
I've been replying to my own ad's if more than 5 are needed.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top