BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
What did they pay for it?
What will it cost to make it air worthy?
View Quote

No numbers told, but a lot, although cheaper than already in USA md500s, and much much more than the purchase price to make it airworthy
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RarestRX:

I ain't gonna lie, I fast forwarded through a lot of that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APPARITION:
It was a much better video than the rollback shenanigans.

I ain't gonna lie, I fast forwarded through a lot of that.

Really enjoy his channel, so much I'll be at the Freedom 500.

But the fuckery in that video drove me nuts. Time lapse it and build it right please.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Since it sidelined the use of that chopper for 7 years, bet you it's pretty spendy. Hopefully Paul's Got a New Old Stock unit he can sell him for cheap.
View Quote

Replacing the front canopy has got to be painful.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Since it sidelined the use of that chopper for 7 years, bet you it's pretty spendy. Hopefully Paul's Got a New Old Stock unit he can sell him for cheap.
View Quote

That, and its location.  
Expensive and hard to find in Venezuela.  

May have been why it was stolen in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Whew, quite a project there. That brought back a little PTSD for me when I bought a 407 out of Chile. Pain in the ass! Had to pay $55k to put the aircraft on a cargo plane and flown up to Miami. Another $45k later and it was a certified US ship, great machine. (And we never had any problems with wooden crates through customs)

Anyways, that looks like a decent E model, has many great upgrades for that machine. Time will tell on the records and component condition, it will get expensive quickly for him, and he has a lot to learn about that machine. And usually with a ship that hasn't flown in a long time, the expensive part of the journey starts when you start flying it. Cracked exhaust, $15k, poof. Gearbox chip light, $80k+, poof. Just getting a new rotor head will be over $100k, if you can even find one. Helicopters are not for the faint of heart.

Thoroughbred is an interesting choice. I know they do plenty of work, but I've heard of customers having mixed results with them, I'll just leave it at that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PORK_REAP3R:
Thoroughbred is an interesting choice. I know they do plenty of work, but I've heard of customers having mixed results with them, I'll just leave it at that.
View Quote

Isn't Thoroughbred the ones that did HeavyD's Blackhawk?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
What's the cost of a missing rotor head?
View Quote

Nowadays, probably $120k. The last quote I got about 3 years ago for a new head outright was $93k. They usually run in the 60s for exchange, but he doesn't have a core to exchange.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

Yes. And I've never used Thoroughbred, we do our stuff in house, so I don't want to throw stones unnecessarily, I just know some other unhappy customers of theirs, that's all.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Yes. And I've never used Thoroughbred, we do our stuff in house, so I don't want to throw stones unnecessarily, I just know some other unhappy customers of theirs, that's all.
View All Quotes

Sure, I know nothing about them anyway.

I'm sure Cleet is using them because of Dave.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't wait to see him land it inside the track at an event.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:25:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RarestRX] [#11]

Nowadays, probably $120k. The last quote I got about 3 years ago for a new head outright was $93k. They usually run in the 60s for exchange, but he doesn't have a core to exchange.
View Quote

Ouch.

Given your history, can you give us an educated guess on how much he paid for that MD?

@PORK_REAP3R
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Whew, quite a project there. That brought back a little PTSD for me when I bought a 407 out of Chile. Pain in the ass! Had to pay $55k to put the aircraft on a cargo plane and flown up to Miami. Another $45k later and it was a certified US ship, great machine. (And we never had any problems with wooden crates through customs)

Anyways, that looks like a decent E model, has many great upgrades for that machine. Time will tell on the records and component condition, it will get expensive quickly for him, and he has a lot to learn about that machine. And usually with a ship that hasn't flown in a long time, the expensive part of the journey starts when you start flying it. Cracked exhaust, $15k, poof. Gearbox chip light, $80k+, poof. Just getting a new rotor head will be over $100k, if you can even find one. Helicopters are not for the faint of heart.

View Quote

Wait?? How do you get it out of Chile without the export tax? I had to pay someone off in order for them to fix the paperwork that the export was temporary. Picked up a 407 from the military on another deal afterwards. Payoff was much less.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:

Yeah he’s talented.  

I wonder if Dave won that second Blackhawk for him.  

That 500 will be done right, that company does awesome work.
View Quote

I thought I read somewhere that the other Blackhawk was for Roman Atwood
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

A couple of years ago he hinted at owning a helicopter and the tail was shown in a video at his home garage/hanger.  
Comments were that he bought Dave Sparks BO105.
Around the same time there was a video of Dave landing at the FF in the BO105, possibly delivering it.  

I suspect he has a good handle on the costs.

The MD was sitting due to the missing rotor head so he probably found one already (his buddy Paul?) or why risk the purchase.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I am jealous.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Ouch.

Given your history, can you give us an educated guess on how much he paid for that MD?
View Quote

Lot of things go into the purchase price, aircraft total time and time remaining on components are the 2 big ones for helos. Without knowing either of those things it's difficult to say.

Just going off the video, my guess is he is roughly $250k into it, maybe $300k. He might get it going again for another $300 - $400k. It will probably be a good machine once it's all done, but I would wager he will have another $150k into it within the first 300 hrs of flight time.

Still though, if he ends up around $750k all said and done, that's a pretty good price for an E model, but I don't know the total time. To put it in perspective, I'm closing on another E model tomorrow at a price of $1.25M, 8k hours total time, which is low to mid time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:56:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UtahShotgunner] [#18]
Reddit had the story on Sparks selling the BO105.

So Cleetus already has a turbine powered helicopter.

Attachment Attached File

In the recent "Snowed In" series of videos on Sparks channel they talked about the giveaway trucks by selling merchandise.  
They were among the first to do them so less competition, but they made $15 million on a single giveaway.  

Cleetus can afford a top of the line rebuild on this helicopter, but he is budget minded and watches his pennies, plus......content, which makes much(all?) of this rebuild a business expense.

Edit:  Spelin'
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

A couple of years ago he hinted at owning a helicopter and the tail was shown in a video at his home garage/hanger.  
Comments were that he bought Dave Sparks BO105.
Around the same time there was a video of Dave landing at the FF in the BO105, possibly delivering it.  

I suspect he has a good handle on the costs.

The MD was sitting due to the missing rotor head so he probably found one already (his buddy Paul?) or why risk the purchase.
View Quote

Maybe, but I'm just going off the video, and he doesn't seem to know much about helicopters. Paul knows, I can tell, and it's good he is advising.

Parts for those MD machines are hard to come by sometimes, and it depends on the component. There for awhile you couldn't get a rotor head for 6 to 8 months, then it was oil cooler bearings, then main rotor transmission, on and on. It's been a real struggle in the industry with parts since COVID. Fucking liberals shutting down the world really screwed up supply chains.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Maybe, but I'm just going off the video, and he doesn't seem to know much about helicopters. Paul knows, I can tell, and it's good he is advising.
View Quote

He knows, IMO.
I have watched a few podcast interviews with him.  4-5 years ago he mentioned his business manager and accountant in passing.  
He is young man with a plan and the work ethic to see it through.  

This helicopter project should be a blast to watch through completion.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#21]

@Monsterbishi
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Monsterbishi:

Will be interesting to see how the repairs held up in the 90's from when it got wanged into a glacier.

Ooh, do you know about this airframe?

Tell us more!

@Monsterbishi

It's service history is available online, check out 0141E at notar-helicopters.nl/500e01.htm for it's reg history.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#22]

He knows, IMO.
I have watched a few podcast interviews with him.  4-5 years ago he mentioned his business manager and accountant in passing.  

View All Quotes

He knows, IMO.

I appreciate that he doesn't come across like a douche in his videos. He looks like a regular guy just having fun fooling around.  My guess is he consciously tries not to sound like an arrogant know-it-all.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By wc22312:
We've reached the phase where we watch him spend the money he made off us. Kinda why I stopped with demoranch, well that and brcc.

That MD gonna be sick and I've bought merch and went to shows. Toast is sick irl
View Quote

I enjoy watching people that all their hard work and risk has paid off, why would anyone have a problem with that?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#24]

It's service history is available online, check out 0141E at notar-helicopters.nl/500e01.htm for it's reg history.
View All Quotes

Will be interesting to see how the repairs held up in the 90's from when it got wanged into a glacier.

Ooh, do you know about this airframe?

Tell us more!

@Monsterbishi

Learning how to dig out information I have never looked for below.  

McDonnell Douglas MD 500E (369E)
Owner/operator:Heli-Neuchâtel SA
MSN:0141E
Year of manufacture:1985
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 5
Aircraft damage:Substantial
Phase:Landing
Nature:Passenger
Departure airport:La Chaux-de-Fonds
Destination airport:Gadmen - offshore
Investigating agency: BFU Switz.
Confidence Rating: Information verified through data from accident investigation authorities
Narrative: The helicopter touched a house during landing and flipped to the side afterwards crashing into the snow. Four of the five occupants were minor injured and one was substantial injured. Helicopter was heavily damaged, but rebuilt.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:29:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Monsterbishi] [#25]
March 9th, 1993

It was also registered as yv-1043p, there is this entry in Venezuela for yv-1043 with transponder data that has it in the air march 10th 2020:

www.flightaware.com/live/flight/yv1043
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:59:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RarestRX] [#26]

Lot of things go into the purchase price, aircraft total time and time remaining on components are the 2 big ones for helos. Without knowing either of those things it's difficult to say.

Just going off the video, my guess is he is roughly $250k into it, maybe $300k. He might get it going again for another $300 - $400k. It will probably be a good machine once it's all done, but I would wager he will have another $150k into it within the first 300 hrs of flight time.

Still though, if he ends up around $750k all said and done, that's a pretty good price for an E model, but I don't know the total time. To put it in perspective, I'm closing on another E model tomorrow at a price of $1.25M, 8k hours total time, which is low to mid time.
View Quote

Thanks for that info.

So if the hours aren't too high, he got about half off?

Cool.

Also, gonna post this here since I've loved the 500D since Magnum PI:

https://magnum-mania.com/Articles/The_Chopper.html

I assume these are some kind of emergency float skids?

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Learning how to dig out information I have never looked for below.  

View Quote

Everything is out there ;-)
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Everything is out there ;-)
View Quote

Don't look at my browser history.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Thanks for that info.

So if the hours aren't too high, he got about half off?

Cool.

Also, gonna post this here since I've loved the 500D since Magnum PI:

https://magnum-mania.com/Articles/The_Chopper.html

I assume these are some kind of emergency float skids?

https://magnum-mania.com/images/3_5_j_full.jpg
View Quote

Oh I love me some 500D models, we have 2, such a classic design. Believe it or not, some folks have painted their machines like the Magnum PI ships in recent years, I think it's disgusting.

Yes, those are floats, typical in tropical tour ships or tuna boat operators.

We're actually going to be releasing some cool MD content in the coming weeks, I'll post it up here when it drops. Here's a snapshot of our machines hunting hogs in OK:

Attachment Attached File

Can't get any other images to upload...
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:20:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RarestRX] [#30]

Oh I love me some 500D models, we have 2, such a classic design. Believe it or not, some folks have painted their machines like the Magnum PI ships in recent years, I think it's disgusting.

We're actually going to be releasing some cool MD content in the coming weeks, I'll post it up here when it drops. Here's a snapshot of our machines hunting hogs in OK:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/95974/20240130_165803_jpg-3157350.JPG

View Quote

You shut your whore mouth, the flying Easter egg scheme is amazing and iconic.

But about those floats, I assume there is some kind of inflation mechanism?

I'm not great at math but pretty sure those have to be a lot bigger and a lot more buoyant.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Carfax for choppers is a thing. Who would have thought?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
View Quote

I'm assuming Cleetus knows about it (hopefully).

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#35]

I'm assuming Cleetus knows about it (hopefully).

View Quote

With all his chopper bros and the old guy mentor, I have no doubt he got good guidance on the purchase.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#36]

With all his chopper bros and the old guy mentor, I have no doubt he got good guidance on the purchase.
View Quote

If he can save $500K - $750K...a bad ChopperFax might be worth it.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

For additional giggles the crash report is in Swiss French and the co-ordinates were in a weird Swiss system called LV03, a 120 year old system which used a university building in Bern, Switzerland as its reference point...
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:33:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miles_Urbanus] [#38]

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNzExM2NjN2EtZGFlYS00N2ZiLWE1N2QtYTI4NTMyNDVmZThjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDc4ODAzOA@@._V1_.jpg

I'm not great at math but pretty sure those have to be a lot bigger and a lot more buoyant.  
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/95974/20240130_165803_jpg-3157350.JPG

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNzExM2NjN2EtZGFlYS00N2ZiLWE1N2QtYTI4NTMyNDVmZThjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDc4ODAzOA@@._V1_.jpg

The floats look like a ridgid hull inflatable boats. They are always inflated. There are emergency inflatables too. Much smaller.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:

The floats look like a ridgid hull inflatable boats. They are always inflated. There are emergency inflatables too. Much smaller.
View Quote

There's no way.

Has to be some kind of emergency thing.

It would look like this if always inflated:

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#40]

There's no way.

Has to be some kind of emergency thing.

It would look like this if always inflated:

https://www.heli-archive.ch/fileadmin/_processed_/5/e/csm_NH-500D_GDF_6404261_1551cea55c.jpg
View Quote

They make both types. The rigid pontoon type systems are found mostly on tuna boats, the 500 is a common tuna spotting helicopter.

The other system is an inflatable type, the bags are folded and contained in a housing that is strapped to the skids. We've never had a machine that had them, but I believe there is a nitrogen bottle for pressurization in emergencies.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#41]

They make both types. The rigid pontoon type systems are found mostly on tuna boats, the 500 is a common tuna spotting helicopter.

The other system is an inflatable type, the bags are folded and contained in a housing that is strapped to the skids. We've never had a machine that had them, but I believe there is a nitrogen bottle for pressurization in emergencies.
View Quote

You're telling me that thing can land on the water with those long rigid skids?

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I hate to say it, but that flying shit will end him if he keeps it up. I'm calling it now, if he doesn't stay grounded he will end up dead.

And I love cleet, don't get me wrong. I'd beg him to stay on the ground if I ever meet him again.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DoubleTaps:
I hate to say it, but that flying shit will end him if he keeps it up. I'm calling it now, if he doesn't stay grounded he will end up dead.

And I love cleet, don't get me wrong. I'd beg him to stay on the ground if I ever meet him again.

View Quote

It's probably one of the most dangerous hobbies, that's for sure.

But he just had his second kid, and if you watch that long line video, he knows when to tap out when he's tired/mentally exhausted.

I don't think he'll let it get that far where he augurs in.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Ouch.

When they showed the engine log it was about 8100 hours in 2014 and I though he said it hadn't started in about seven years.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DoubleTaps:

View Quote

He seems to be putting in the work safety wise. Hell, there were the guys with the LS powered plane he straight up refused to fly in a few weeks back.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

When they showed the engine log it was about 8100 hours in 2014 and I though he said it hadn't started in about seven years.
View Quote

Good eye.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#47]

For additional giggles the crash report is in Swiss French and the co-ordinates were in a weird Swiss system called LV03, a 120 year old system which used a university building in Bern, Switzerland as its reference point...
View Quote

The first "Bullseye"?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Ruh Roh:

OFFICIAL TRAILER | My MD500E Might've Been a Bad Purchase
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Faller pickup and the end of the day
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#50]

Ruh Roh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj00sDV1c-I
View Quote

There is a rotor head, so I think they're playing for drama.  Maybe.
Page / 4
Top Top