It has JB weld lol
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Gopro - Landing a MD500 Helicopter on a moving boat [4K]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JKH62:
What's the cost of a missing rotor head?
View Quote

Is missing the blades too?

Cha ching!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

There is a rotor head, so I think they're playing for drama.  Maybe.
View Quote

Not to mention they're trying to start it up.

Also, no way that accident report is news to them, the Arfbros found it in like 10 minutes.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RarestRX:

Ruh Roh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj00sDV1c-I

I’m thinking this way myself
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:

Cha ching!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:
What's the cost of a missing rotor head?

Cha ching!

Blades were included.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Also, no way that accident report is news to them, the Arfbros found it in like 10 minutes.

View All Quotes

With the information posted in this thread, I was trying to read Swedish or whatever language that was.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Only an idiot would pay full price missing major items..........click bait drama and I don't think they are idiots.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Found some pics of my squadron of Hueys Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:11:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UtahShotgunner] [#10]

Only an idiot would pay full price missing major items..........click bait drama and I don't think they are idiots.
View All Quotes

All of YouTube requires some click bait to muster views.
That said, while not saying the price, he has implied he paid far, far less than "full price".

With absolutely no information other than the videos, I'm guessing $100k +/- a few thousand.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, Youtube must pay well.

I had to dump DieselDave because he's partnered with the Chinese Communist Party, simping Temu, I guess owning 4+ helicopters and all the other toys just wasn't enough he had to sell his soul for 30 Chinese Yuan.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#12]

All of YouTube requires some click bait to muster views.
That said, while not saying the price, he has implied he paid far, far less than "full price".

With absolutely no information other than the videos, I'm guessing $100k +/- a few thousand.
View Quote

We paid $5000/Huey from the Army
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By UV18:
That is good looking coming out of the container. Having purchased quite a few aircraft from other countries and within the US, that is very clean.

View Quote
i think he lucked out because the former owner wasn't able to get State Dept approval (ITAR) for export of the rotor hub to Venezuela so the rest of airframe sat became a money pit in storage.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:41:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UtahShotgunner] [#14]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:

I had to dump DieselDave because he's partnered with the Chinese Communist Party, simping Temu, I guess owning 4+ helicopters and all the other toys just wasn't enough he had to sell his soul for 30 Chinese Yuan.
View Quote

The Giveaway/Drawings for merch is the money.
In one video earlier this year he(DieselDave)  said a single giveaway brought in $15 million.

Now there is much more competition, but it is still big money compared to actual YouTube revenue.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]

In one video earlier this year he(DieselDave)  said a single giveaway brought in $15 million.

Now there is much more competition, but it is still big money compared to actual YouTube revenue.
View Quote
I saw somebody posted that stat earlier. So if the "giveaways" are the biggest source of revenue then why destroy a curated image of being the All-American Loving Manly Man, then go partner with Temu?  He can't be a total roid raging, muscle-headed dummkopf that DIDN"T know who owns Temu?   Regardless, he's no longer worth my time or clicks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4-AR] [#16]

Ruh Roh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj00sDV1c-I
View Quote

Unless Cletus and Jackstand dont put on lab coats. It’ll be fine

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By M4-AR:

Unless Cletus and Jackstand dont put on lab coats. It’ll be fine

View Quote

I'm not too worried, it was spinning up at the end of the vid, so the turbine and gearbox can't be total junk.

Interesting comment about the tail boom though, maybe something to do with the previous repair.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I had no idea what Temu was and had to look it up. Basically a Chinese Amazon.com.

How Temu’s Explosive Growth Is Disrupting American E-Commerce

How Temu’s Explosive Growth Is Disrupting American E-Commerce | WSJ
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#19]
My South American Helicopter Has A LOT More Problems Than We Thought...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:48:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: APPARITION] [#20]
Much of this he expected

The previous guy didn't seem very thorough in comparison to this guy
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#21]
He should give it to Whistlingdiesel. Fire it up and have the tank run it over.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

he said that he bought a brand new rotor head
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Man, I hope he does a price breakdown at some point.

The Thoroughbred guy said it was still a deal.

Garrett must have just absolutely stole that MD.

Sounds like he's going with a full glass avionics package as well.

Very telling that the Thoroughbred guy said it was going to be (once everything is done) one of the nicest 500Es to go through his shop.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Paint scheme looks good

Should be done in June.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Ruh Roh:
View Quote

Meh. It's only parts.
It can all be fixed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I am waiting for Heavy D to buy one of those CH-47E Chinooks.
I keep bugging him...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:

Six months ago.

He is zero timing (maybe wrong terminology) everything on this helicopter.
Thorobred(sp?) guy said he will have the best E model in the states, if I heard him correctly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Six months ago.

Thorobred(sp?) guy said he will have the best E model in the states, if I heard him correctly.
View Quote

Sounded like this was suppose to happen a long time ago, so they started sourcing parts.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By jm0502:

Sounded like this was suppose to happen a long time ago, so they started sourcing parts.
View Quote

Yeah, reminds me of Adam LZ's house renovation.

They sourced all the stuff months in advance, so the Obsessed Garage guys could come in and bang it out in a few months.

Saved months of wait time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Six months ago.

Apparently there can be delays in acquiring helicopters in Venezuela.  

The parts he bought (engine, rotor head) weren't going to lose value so not a big deal to order them......if you have the dollars.  He does.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I haven't been able to get into some of his videos, I kind of loose interest half way through them.  I do like cars, and LS's and hes a good dude, but theres only so much I can listen to about cars. but this video/series im VERY interest in.

thanks for posting it here!
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#34]
This will be a sweet MD when it’s done.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#35]
I saw somebody posted that stat earlier. So if the "giveaways" are the biggest source of revenue then why destroy a curated image of being the All-American Loving Manly Man, then go partner with Temu?  He can't be a total roid raging, muscle-headed dummkopf that DIDN"T know who owns Temu?   Regardless, he's no longer worth my time or clicks.
View All Quotes

Not to slide the thread but DD has been siding with the CCP for years. Remember his tv show way back when, he was dealing with chinese tire companies for his brodozer line if tires. And how about the biggest in your face fuck you to America.....driving all those sweet CCP loaders, excavators etc etc.

I have not watched him in about 6 months. I just cant stomach and supposedly pro America guy simping for the CCP.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#36]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ADyrh4cNQo
View Quote

I found that very interesting. I highly doubt that machine is flying by June 15.

As for his budget, I'm betting this machine is going to run him $1.1 to $1.3M. He probably already spent $300k on that engine, at least that much if he bought it outright. The 1/2 wheels on the hot section are damn new it sounds like. He probably got the machine for around $300k, and he's looking at a hefty labor bill and it sounds like he will be putting in an all glass cockpit ($$$). The engine that came with that ship is likely toast. I doubt Fred at Arrow Aviation will give him much for it, which is a great and respectable shop we use all the time.

It will be a beautiful machine when done, I'll have to invite him up to our hangar, about a 10 minute flight from Thoroughbred's hangar. I'll see if he wants to go hunt pigs with us next year.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By PORK_REAP3R:

I found that very interesting. I highly doubt that machine is flying by June 15.

As for his budget, I'm betting this machine is going to run him $1.1 to $1.3M. He probably already spent $300k on that engine, at least that much if he bought it outright. The 1/2 wheels on the hot section are damn new it sounds like. He probably got the machine for around $300k, and he's looking at a hefty labor bill and it sounds like he will be putting in an all glass cockpit ($$$). The engine that came with that ship is likely toast. I doubt Fred at Arrow Aviation will give him much for it, which is a great and respectable shop we use all the time.

It will be a beautiful machine when done, I'll have to invite him up to our hangar, about a 10 minute flight from Thoroughbred's hangar. I'll see if he wants to go hunt pigs with us next year.
View Quote

Do you still think it'll be a good deal?

Is he going to get a better ship doing it this way instead of a turnkey one?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I'd bet the video was shot 2-3 weeks ago so a longer lead time than it seems.

I still think the purchase price will be in the $100k range.  That is an amount he might risk losing.  $300k not so much.

On other channels and podcasts he has discussed helos and projects in general.  He could buy any 500 out there.  This way he doesnt spend full price, plus all the mods.  He wont "save" money but will have exactly what he wants.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#39]

I still think the purchase price will be in the $100k range.  That is an amount he might risk losing.  $300k not so much.

On other channels and podcasts he has discussed helos and projects in general.  He could buy any 500 out there.  This way he doesnt spend full price, plus all the mods.  He wont "save" money but will have exactly what he wants.
View Quote

Yeah, I've read he probably dropped $100 - 150K.

Now he gets to pretty much spend all the money saved into building a like new (to his specs) MD with zero hours.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#40]
These guys are back in my area replacing insulators on 345KV power lines again.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Now he gets to pretty much spend all the money saved into building a like new (to his specs) MD with zero hours.
View All Quotes

The rotor head and engine were already in hand at Thoroughbred.  He had no intention of sourcing used, or rebuilding the powertrain it came with.
He bought an airframe and is replacing everything, including parts of the airframe (tail boom).

He plans ahead, then takes his audience along for his response at the "reveal", but he isn't being surprised.  Early in this thread someone commented that finding a rotor head would be difficult.  Seems that he sourced that part before even committing to the purchase.  Did sound as if the bad swash plate was a genuine surprise.  What will that cost?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#42]

The rotor head and engine were already in hand at Thoroughbred.  He had no intention of sourcing used, or rebuilding the powertrain it came with.
He bought an airframe and is replacing everything, including parts of the airframe (tail boom).

He plans ahead, then takes his audience along for his response at the "reveal", but he isn't being surprised.  Early in this thread someone commented that finding a rotor head would be difficult.  Seems that he sourced that part before even committing to the purchase.  Did sound as if the bad swash plate was a genuine surprise.  What will that cost?
View Quote

Swashplate is in the 20s. The rotor head was sourced several months ago, they don't say how long it took Thoroughbred to get it. It took him 8+ months to get the machine even in the states. This timeline is not abnormal, but a little long.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

$300k for a 500E is still a discount, with a questionable engine, no head, etc. If he got it for less than 300 he did pretty good, considering, but this saga isn't over yet, not by a Longshot. If he can put significant time on it without a tail rotor or main rotor gearbox chip light, he did good. Getting it ready to fly is the sometimes the cheap part (not in this case), but actually flying it is when it gets expensive.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Do you still think it'll be a good deal?

Is he going to get a better ship doing it this way instead of a turnkey one?
View Quote

Umm, yea, I would say so. It seems the airframe is in good shape, but I bet they find some things when they prep for paint.

500E models used are typically sold between $900k to $1.4M. New machines are $2.6M+. He will likely be in $1.1M ballpark but he will have a very nice machine rigged exactly how he wants.

But make no mistake, this is not a new or zero time machine. Most things on that ship are used or overhauled. That engine is mid time, as Joe stated, not new. The only new parts after this is done will likely be the tailboom and avionics, that's it. The head is probably not new either, but an overhauled exchange, which is very typical in the industry.

Either way, it's going to be a fantastic ship when complete. I bet that paint job alone is north of $70k. The last paint job we did was 2 years ago on a 1990 E model, it was $63k I believe at PacWest in California. That was a single color, no scheme.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Umm, yea, I would say so. It seems the airframe is in good shape, but I bet they find some things when they prep for paint.

500E models used are typically sold between $900k to $1.4M. New machines are $2.6M+. He will likely be in $1.1M ballpark but he will have a very nice machine rigged exactly how he wants.

But make no mistake, this is not a new or zero time machine. Most things on that ship are used or overhauled. That engine is mid time, as Joe stated, not new. The only new parts after this is done will likely be the tailboom and avionics, that's it. The head is probably not new either, but an overhauled exchange, which is very typical in the industry.

Either way, it's going to be a fantastic ship when complete. I bet that paint job alone is north of $70k. The last paint job we did was 2 years ago on a 1990 E model, it was $63k I believe at PacWest in California. That was a single color, no scheme.
View Quote

Cool cool.

What's the deal with the 4 rotor tail vs. the 2?

Supposed to be quieter?

Do you run the tall or low skids on your MDs?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Cool cool.

What's the deal with the 4 rotor tail vs. the 2?

Supposed to be quieter?

Do you run the tall or low skids on your MDs?
View Quote

Don't know much about the 4 bladed tail rotors, supposedly more tail rotor authority, but some guys that have flown them say they aren't anything special. I suppose they could be quieter if they were shorter, but I don't know anything about them. The MH-6 machines in the .mil run a Boeing 4 blade tail rotor system that is pretty damn slick I hear.

All our MDs are tall skids, I don't like the look of the short skids. Short skids these days are for SOF so its easier to get boots on the ground from the side platforms they ride on, and the way they train the skids aren't on the ground long. One of the guys in our company was a Nightstalker and simulated a SOF dropoff, it was very quick, absolutely amazing things can be done with that 500 in his hands, great dude.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#47]
now he's got floats for the Carbon Cub

We Put Floats On Our Carbon Cub!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
now he's got floats for the Carbon Cub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CaBiQMcsQA
View Quote

Best life.

I watch that wearing a freedom Factory t-shirt. Let's hope I win that supercharged Chevy
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Best life.

I watch that wearing a freedom Factory t-shirt. Let's hope I win that supercharged Chevy
View Quote

No way, I am winning it, not you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By wc22312:
It has JB weld lol
View Quote
I know a guy who sealed the seams of the wing fuel tanks in his experimental with JB Weld.
Page / 4
Top Top