Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DanishM1Garand:
A guy I knew got charged with theft.  He used the wrong dumpster out of a line of dumpsters behind his apartment complex.  Seems that half of them were for the other complex across that alley.  

He had problems getting jobs due to the “Oh well, it’s a 50 dollar fine, I’ll just pay it.”  

I guarantee you that he wishes he had hired a lawyer to get it thrown out.
View Quote

Did he steal the dumpster?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
Not the first time an ARFCOM'er told a story, the members rush to defend, only to have egg on their collective faces in the end.

View Quote

Wouldn't be the first time that the boys in blue believe that anyone without a badge is a hardened criminal without any evidence too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

Wouldn't be the first time that the boys in blue believe that anyone without a badge is a hardened criminal without any evidence too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Not the first time an ARFCOM'er told a story, the members rush to defend, only to have egg on their collective faces in the end.

Except one of the above statements is grounded in reality, and one is a deranged interpretation of reality that is grounded only in victim culture fantasy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jDrexler:

Where the fuck do some of you guys come up with this shit?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jDrexler:
Originally Posted By DocBull:
Hmm
I am pretty sure there is a lawsuit and possible kidnapping charges for the LP in the wings if you wanted to press it.

Where the fuck do some of you guys come up with this shit?
It would seem to be a textbook example of the  Dunning-Kruger effect.

https://www.verywellmind.com/an-overview-of-the-dunning-kruger-effect-4160740#toc-are-you-less-competent-than-you-think

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Eleven pages and no pressure washer jokes?  WTF you guys.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TEXASROOTERSBROTHER:

I usually don't ignore old timers but in this case I will.

She did not leave the store
View Quote
Don't have to leave the store necessarily. Some word it as the last point of purchase so once you are past the registers heading toward the door you're on the hook.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:36:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo0506] [#7]
My wife is a VP at one of the biggest back ground check companies in the US.

Hire a lawyer.

If dad has to go into debt… HIRE A LAWYER.

For years I was a manager of LP. You won’t get far saying “she didn’t leave the store”. She passed the point of purchase.

You didnt know this because you didn’t hire a lawyer. There is a lot of other stuff you won’t know, until you hire a lawyer.

Hire a lawyer.

Don’t go it alone because of what a prosecutor or neighbor says. Don’t go it alone because “it’s only $40”.

Don’t go it alone because it’s ridiculous to spend a few thousand on a lawyer over a $40 case.

Don’t go it alone because it can get expunged or thrown out or sealed.

You know how many people fail background checks because they were told something would be expunged, thrown out, or sealed?

Do you know who to call when it isn’t? Do you think they give a shit and will call you back? Do you think you’re different than the other thousands of people trying to get their charges expunged or thrown out or sealed?

She is in the system now. Hire a lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APPARITION:
Originally Posted By DanishM1Garand:
A guy I knew got charged with theft.  He used the wrong dumpster out of a line of dumpsters behind his apartment complex.  Seems that half of them were for the other complex across that alley.  

He had problems getting jobs due to the “Oh well, it’s a 50 dollar fine, I’ll just pay it.”  

I guarantee you that he wishes he had hired a lawyer to get it thrown out.

Theft of Services
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:47:37 AM EDT
[#9]
A thief is a thief. CA looked the other way and that obviously didn't work.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:59:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ClayHollisterTT:

Fuck that. Dads help their kids regardless of age.
View Quote

And that is the reason the kids keep getting into trouble. My Dad told us if we were stupid enough to get into trouble, we'd better get smart fast because he'd never get us out. My slow learner brother found out Dad meant what he said. He never did stupid things with the law again.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:03:16 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Seems in this incident that wasn’t the case… you know, the cop was FORCED to make the charge…
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:11:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Spend the 3-5 thou for a lawyer.  It'll be worth it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:18:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone suggested hiring a lawyer?

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:56:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:
I think C-4 wants you to get a lawyer OP
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Wrong state
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#16]
These threads always go the same way... some just eat the entire story hook, line, and sinker with minimal hearsay.

IMO, it could have been an honest mistake or it could have been a calculated risk. Twenty-five years of experiencing shoplifters I've seen just about all there is to see.

Those saying she never left the store so she never committed the offense... that technically carries no weight in the three states I've worked LE. There are other actions/omissions that provide for a prima facie case. Physically leaving the store is but one element in most states I would suspect and certainly not a mandatory element.

Those suggesting the young lady was kidnapped... JHFC... really? Many states have statutes that empower employees to stop and detain, the defendant apparently rolled away from the register without paying for the two items so the approach and detention was certainly reasonable. This is not to say the subsequent investigation was good or bad. Many states have additional penalties for those who resist "reasonable efforts" to make the initial stop/detention.

All I know is shopping carts are see-through... how you UNLOAD your buggy at the register then RELOAD the stuff back into it without noticing what's below is suspect... not impossible... it could happen. I'd have to see the in-store video, how things unfolded, and the actions/omissions of the defendant before I could begin to render an opinion.

One thing I feel very strong about is the defendant's claim that the cop was "made" to issue the charge... that's extremely suspect and taints the truthfulness and honesty of the rest of the defendant's story in my mind. No fucking store clerk is going to be successful in telling a cop who says there is no Probable Cause to make the charge anyway... not in any of the places I've worked and I've experienced the same thing multiple times over the years as a cop and responding supervisor when the clerk didn't get their way.

I'm inclined to believe it was an honest mistake... but the other things mentioned above make me lean towards she knew what she was doing.

Bottom line is none of us have enough information to fall on our sword one way or the other... to do so is foolish.

View Quote

I agree. The store video should show her actions at the register including indications that she looked to the bottom the cart at any time from unloading in preparation to scan items, and while putting scanned items back into the cart
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Update in OP.

TLDR: Friend's daughter was being honest, Target LP are tards.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#18]
The moral of the story is STOP. SHOPPING. AT. TARGET. Also, do not allow a retail monkey to detain you under any circumstances. They aren’t going to throw hands, so just walk on by. They work at Target for a reason…
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad they went to an attorney.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Twenty-five years of experiencing shoplifters I've seen just about all there is to see.

View Quote

How can you tell the difference between someone that missed scanning an item vs someone that did it on purpose?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:48:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowhntr6pt] [#21]
Originally Posted By MHowski:

How can you tell the difference between someone that missed scanning an item vs someone that did it on purpose?
View Quote

@MHowski

Observing human behavior for the most part from the time they enter the store (if possible, which a lot of places have that capability) to the time they check out. Sometimes it's obvious both ways regarding intent or lack thereof, sometimes it's subtle. While nothing is in fact 100%, it's way more often than not pre-theft clues can be detected if a person plans on stealing.

ETA- not insisting I'm right, just my opinion based on my own experiences having it play out both ways.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#22]

@MHowski

Observing human behavior for the most part from the time they enter the store (if possible, which a lot of places have that capability) to the time they check out. Sometimes it's obvious both ways regarding intent or lack thereof, sometimes it's subtle. While nothing is in fact 100%, it's way more often than not pre-theft clues can be detected if a person plans on stealing.

ETA- not insisting I'm right, just my opinion based on my own experiences having it play out both ways.
View All Quotes

@MHowski

Ok.  This thread has me paranoid because even being cited for any kind of theft I would probably lose my job.  I’ve come close in the past and one time had the attendant come over because I was scanning items and putting them in the bag but they weren’t getting rung up even though it was beeping. I can easily see how it could happen.  I like self checkout and prefer it to a cashier but arresting people for a mistake is fucking bullshit.  If the store does the same thing it’s not a criminal issue.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Ok.  This thread has me paranoid because even being cited for any kind of theft I would probably lose my job.  I’ve come close in the past and one time had the attendant come over because I was scanning items and putting them in the bag but they weren’t getting rung up even though it was beeping. I can easily see how it could happen.  I like self checkout and prefer it to a cashier but arresting people for a mistake is fucking bullshit.  If the store does the same thing it’s not a criminal issue.
View Quote

Same with me.

I've never straight up intentionally stolen anything at the self checkout, but I'm sure there were times where I picked the wrong color of onion or size of an apple or some shit and didn't think twice about it.

Seeing how this went down after finding out that the daughter was 100% telling the truth and it was a simple mistake, at what point is some tard LP guy going to try and grab me because I didn't select organic at checkout?

Also, looking at this entire process:

- Girl buys items, forgets less than $40 worth of them and is stopped. Thinks she did nothing wrong, produces receipt and immediately offers to pay for any missed items. Has 0 record.
- Waits 90+ minutes for an officer who reviews the tape and says this was an obvious mistake and the LP guys refuse to even listen to him and want charges regardless of anything.
- Black females who made a scene and put up a fight magically were let go.
- Has to get an attorney, has the potential of this causing long term problems.
- Has to deal with all of this and the shit legal process.
- Gets bullshit letters demanding money.

OR

Say fuck off and walk out the door.

Doesn't make for a hard decision going forward.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:

Passing the checkout is the crime. Attempting to leave the store via not paying. Leaving the store has nothing to do with it.
View Quote

Passing the checkout is not the crime. Only attempting to leave the store is. Walmart here has bathrooms up front. Numerous times I’ve went past the checkout to park the cart and go to the bathroom. Every time I’ve come back and went to the self check out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

She passed the registers which is an intent to not pay and universally seen as bypassing the last method of paying for items.

Yes, the elements of theft were met.
View Quote

Intent matters in this case and the prosecutor has to prove that their was mental and physical intent to commit the crime of petty larceny.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok.  This thread has me paranoid because even being cited for any kind of theft I would probably lose my job.
View Quote

In your situation there's no way in hell I'd use it.

Oh wait... I am in your situation.  I don't use it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Update 2…shakedown. Many states have a statute that allows merchants to ‘fine’ you, under the guise of a demand for reimbursement for their loss, time, effort, etc.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:48:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BrownShoes] [#28]
Good to bring up the specifics. I don't see anything in regard to what she had done, at the time Target personnel took her cart, as being on the list. She had not yet left. But that's when they falsely contained (imprisoned?) her.
   Not a lawyer. Is there something about taking possession at issue. She had not left the premises
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#29]
What an utter waste of time she is going though.

It's a mistake, she forgot about the two items.  They should have reminded her, and she would have paid
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I feel sorry for OP's friend's daughter, I've dealt with a guy who was LP for Target that became Asset Protection at the grocery company I used to work for. He was quick to claim people were stealing, even accused me of stealing a product I had paid for three weeks earlier and still had the receipt for the item. He eventually got fired less than six months later because he was claiming people were stealing when they weren't. He was responsible for 23 people at one store in one day to be fired on false claims to boost his bonus, and is the reason former employer won't consider any former LP from Target for employment as Asset Protection.

Hope things work out for the girl and word gets spread of how Target treats customer's on false accusations.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:31:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PolarBear416] [#31]
When I was a teen my brother and I went to a store near my grandmother's. I picked up some item I thought I wanted and walked around the store with it, we were there awhile killing time and then realized we were late for lunch and left. Half way back to Grandma's I looked down at my hand and realized I was still holding the item. Just walked out with it absent mindedly.

Turned around and went back to the store and apologized, paid, and all that happened is we got scolded for being late for lunch with Grandma.

I guess these days I'd have been in cuffs?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:06:29 AM EDT
[#32]
My takeaway is don’t use self checkout.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:24:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SkiShooter:
My takeaway is don’t use self checkout shop at Target.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:11:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:

Intent matters in this case and the prosecutor has to prove that their was mental and physical intent to commit the crime of petty larceny.
View Quote

Yes... intent matters... and can be inferred by acts, omissions, or a combo of both.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:18:46 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Don't be paranoid. Solution... scan slowly, confirm the charges as you go, and notify an employee at the onset of any issues. Pay attention to what's in  the buggy/cart. Your actions to the aforementioned will be captured on camera and can easily be interpreted as you're being honest... again, observations of behavior.  

It's really not that hard.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:19:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Don't be paranoid. Solution... scan slowly, confirm the charges as you go, and notify an employee at the onset of any issues. Pay attention to what's in  the buggy/cart. Your actions to the aforementioned will be captured on camera and can easily be interpreted as you're being honest... again, observations of behavior.  

View All Quotes

Stores could do a much better job of setting it up.  They all still have all their regular registers not being used but instead of utilizing all that space they setup self checkouts with 6, 8, 10 or more crammed into an awkward rectangle area.  Your cart is in someone else’s space, there is no room to put scanned items. The little fuckups that a regular cashier picks up on like a delay in it coming up on the screen aren’t known by someone that goes there once in a while.  A beep at one store means you’re good, but that doesn’t mean shit somewhere else.  Plus anyone with kids is now doing 2 things at once.  There are reasons cashiers make fewer mistakes, it’s not all theft.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Stores could do a much better job of setting it up.  They all still have all their regular registers not being used but instead of utilizing all that space they setup self checkouts with 6, 8, 10 or more crammed into an awkward rectangle area.  Your cart is in someone else’s space, there is no room to put scanned items. The little fuckups that a regular cashier picks up on like a delay in it coming up on the screen aren’t known by someone that goes there once in a while.  A beep at one store means you’re good, but that doesn’t mean shit somewhere else.  Plus anyone with kids is now doing 2 things at once.  There are reasons cashiers make fewer mistakes, it’s not all theft.
View Quote

Sound like you should just stick to traditional check out...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#38]
One more reason to never set foot in a Target. LP apparently draws cop wannabes on a power trip. Had some dreadlocked dude follow me into the parking lot questioning me about a small item I had plainly paid for and had a receipt. Reminded me of the TSA type. Fuck em.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

I shop online as much as possible.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
Maybe don’t steal shit?
View Quote

Yeah, this. Op spent forever typing up some bullshit one sided 3rd hand account of how his buddy's kid dindu nuffin.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Are-O-Be:
She hasn’t stolen anything until she has left the store. Show up to court and contest.
View Quote

Is that the law there?  Many/most states have concealing as stealing or just simply walking past the point of sale, you don't actually have to leave the store.  Even Walmart is cracking down hard because theft is so rampant.  They don't care if it's a candy bar.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#42]
I can tell you all how this is going to end.   They’re too cheap/scared to hire a lawyer, and the kids gonna have a record afterward.  End of story, let’s all quit posting here and go harass another OP for whatever.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Amped:
Buddy had the same thing at Walmart. All the lines were slammed so they told him to use self check out. He missed 32 worth of shit and they ticked him and set a court date. Had to hire an attorney to get a plea deal.

For what it’s worth he had $600 worth of shit for their new house and was trying to get home. I’ve known the guy for 10 years and he doesn’t steal. Sometimes people miss shit, sometimes people are shit
View Quote

Honestly, you are picking up every single item from your cart and putting it into a bag or onto a conveyance.  How can you miss something?  Either your cart is empty or it is not.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:

Yeah, this. Op spent forever typing up some bullshit one sided 3rd hand account of how his buddy's kid dindu nuffin.

View All Quotes
Maybe don’t steal shit?

GD “shoplifters should be prosecuted”!!!

Also GD “arresting shoplifters is bullshit”!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By greenranger:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By greenranger:
Maybe don’t steal shit?

You really don’t see the difference do you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Pics of friend's daughter?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:Passing the checkout is not the crime. Only attempting to leave the store is.
View Quote

Hahaha!  Passing point of sale typically is a crime.  In some states, simply concealing within the store is a crime.  Maybe not here, but in others.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Now the daughter and dad can both yell at the tv screen when the news plays videos of corporate bias policy that lets criminals go free and customers pay higher prices due to it.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Pay up and get an attorney. Kid doesnt need. a theft charge or deal on their record. Please tell me that the part where the cop said it looks like a mistake and there was no intent is on film.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
I'm with this.

if you really want  to have fun start throwing around allegations of sexual harassment/improper conduct with her in that "office"
a large retail chain, being woke.. that is the last thing Target wants out in the public (true or not)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
Originally Posted By Are-O-Be:
She hasn't stolen anything until she has left the store. Show up to court and contest.
I'm with this.

if you really want  to have fun start throwing around allegations of sexual harassment/improper conduct with her in that "office"
a large retail chain, being woke.. that is the last thing Target wants out in the public (true or not)

I've seen documentary films about shoplifters...

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top