User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 48
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:28:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

There are two other pieces to the Jordan Love example:

-While it looks like the Jordan Love process is going to have a happy ending, and it is trending in the right direction, we don't know that for sure yet.

-There's always going to be what-ifs regarding what GB could have done with those two MVP level Aaron Rodgers seasons if they weren't burning resources on a developmental QB.
View Quote

Exactly.  One good season and already some people are assuming he’s going to follow in Favre and Rodgers’ footsteps. Two Hall of Fame QBs who won a Super Bowl and multiple MVPs.

I’ve been saying that for years.  Would the #1 seed Packers with the MVP QB have lost a home NFC Championship game against the Bucs if they had a first round pick playing instead of riding the bench?  Would the #1 seed Packers with the MVP QB have gone one and done to a team that didn’t even score an offensive TD?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By David_ESM:

Couple problems/differences there...
  • Jordan Love was a late 1st rounder (to secure the 5th year option), which is where Penix SHOULD have gone.
  • Jordan Love was 21 at the time of his drafting. Multiple years younger than Penix.
  • Rodgers was coming off 3 straight struggle/down years when the Packers took Love.
  • Rodgers extension was 2 years old when the Packers took Love. They had not JUST signed him to a brand new deal like the Falcons did with Cousins.
  • Jordan Love didn't suffer any major injuries at any time in his college career.
View Quote

The GB model was full on retard. You move UP to draft a QB you don’t need that pisses off your QB followed up by drafted a shitty RB that you don’t need AFTER you sign Jones to a 4? year deal instead of letting him walk. You also don’t bring back Williams and instead he goes to the Lions. You do all this instead of drafting what your team actually needs and lose in the NFC Championship game.

Anyone who thinks that model works is idiotic.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:37:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GenYRevolverGuy] [#3]

Broncos were desperate and did desperate things. I mentioned previously I thought Zach Wilson was good for them because it took some stress off so they wouldn't do something crazy in the draft... Well Bo Nix at 12 is something crazy.

View Quote

I'm not going to laugh too hard (I also shared in laughter when the Chargers took Herbert), but the fact that Denver took the 2nd oldest 1st round QB ever and that QB was the 6th off the board at #12... those are encouraging details for fans of anyone except the Broncos.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Via NFL.com: Rams QB Matthew Stafford seeking adjusted contract with more guaranteed money

Stafford is seeking an adjustment to his contract that would provide him with more guaranteed money beyond the 2024 season, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday.

Rapoport added the veteran quarterback, who believes he has plenty more in the gas tank, has been in attendance for voluntary practices, but it's a bit of a lingering offseason issue for the Rams to be content with.

He signed a 4 year $160M ($40MPY) extension before the 2022 season to keep him with the Rams through 2026. He has completed just 1 year of the extension (2023). He has already received $66M of the $160M. Due an additional $94M over the next 3 years. His 2024 salary ($31M) is already fully guaranteed. $10M of 2025 is already fully guaranteed. Meaning he will absolutely receive at least $107M of the $160M extension.

Having said all that, what the fuck else does he want? Fuck off Matt.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Getting Brock Bowers at 13 is good.
The Raiders taking Brock Bowers at 13 is dumb.

No quarterback and they just drafted Michael Mayer with the 35th overall pick last season. They either needed to be more aggressive about moving up to go after McCarthy or stick with a solid need for them and take one of the MANY offensive lineman options still on the board at that time.

View Quote

But he's a WEAPON OF MASS RECEPTIONS...just like Kyle Pitts
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RSG:

But he's a WEAPON OF MASS RECEPTIONS...just like Kyle Pitts
View Quote
You know, I love Minshew, he's fun to watch/listen to. So if he goes out there and absolutely balls out with Davante, Jakobi and Bowers... I wouldn't be mad. But that's more hopeful optimism/dreaming than actual reality.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By frankiebagadonuts:

Penix would be a 29 year old rookie by that point.  They'd get 3-4 years from him before having to draft his successor.  I get the thinking, but the timing and Penix's age aren't ideal.

This is really just an over-correction from the botched Matt Ryan transition that AB forced with his pursuit of Watson.  Ryan should have played out the last two seasons in ATL with Ridder as his backup.  Ridder may have been successful learning from Ryan for 2 years instead of Mariotta for 3/4 of a season.
View Quote

You mean to tell me that drafting a backup QB in the top 10 before the FA QB you broke the bank for has even taken a snap isn’t ideal timing?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Actual quote.

View Quote

That isn't really any better. In fact, it might be worse.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Actual quote.

View Quote

Bellicheck’s dog would be a better GM.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Via NFL.com: Rams QB Matthew Stafford seeking adjusted contract with more guaranteed money

Stafford is seeking an adjustment to his contract that would provide him with more guaranteed money beyond the 2024 season, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday.

Rapoport added the veteran quarterback, who believes he has plenty more in the gas tank, has been in attendance for voluntary practices, but it's a bit of a lingering offseason issue for the Rams to be content with.

He signed a 4 year $160M ($40MPY) extension before the 2022 season to keep him with the Rams through 2026. He has completed just 1 year of the extension (2023). He has already received $66M of the $160M. Due an additional $94M over the next 3 years. His 2024 salary ($31M) is already fully guaranteed. $10M of 2025 is already fully guaranteed. Meaning he will absolutely receive at least $107M of the $160M extension.

Having said all that, what the fuck else does he want? Fuck off Matt.
View Quote

Fingers crossed he breaks the Pick 6 record before his career ends.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:47:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#13]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No running back in the first round. It is the 2nd time in the last 3 years. Only happened 2 times in the 40 years before that.

1st round RBs selected in the 1990's: 32
1st round RBs selected in the 2000's: 32
1st round RBs selected in the 2010's: 15
1st round RBs selected in the 2020's: 5
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#14]

And look at the response they have received. The Falcons should be demoted to USFL. Whoever wins the USFL this July should be allowed to move up and take their place. RELEGATION!
View Quote

You know, I LOVE that idea. The worst NFL team gets demoted to the USFL, while the USFL Champion moves up to the NFL.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Hamiltbl2:

View All Quotes

Actual quote.

The regulars in this thread, using only open source, commercially available scouting and analysis, could sit in a conference room and outperform the actual Atlanta Falcons front office. And it wouldn't be hard.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#16]

• Jordan Love was a late 1st rounder (to secure the 5th year option), which is where Penix SHOULD have gone.
  • Jordan Love was 21 at the time of his drafting. Multiple years younger than Penix.
  • Rodgers was coming off 3 straight struggle/down years when the Packers took Love.
  • Rodgers extension was 2 years old when the Packers took Love. They had not JUST signed him to a brand new deal like the Falcons did with Cousins.
  • Jordan Love didn't suffer any major injuries at any time in his college career.
View Quote

There’s really no comparison to the GB with Love. I mean if Williams/Daniels had dropped to 8th - then I could see it.

This should go down as one of the worst draft picks ever.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#17]

While the pick was retarded, this seems like a non-story drummed up to be controversial.  Cousins hasn't played one down with the Falcons yet.  When it comes to who they pick in the draft, they don't owe him anything.  He's getting paid $190 million to be the starting QB for the next two years; he wasn't hired for his input in the draft.
View Quote

Yeah. Who does this guy think he is? Does he want to win or something?

He came to the wrong team to do that. Shut up and cash those checks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#18]
The regulars in this thread, using only open source, commercially available scouting and analysis, could sit in a conference room and outperform the actual Atlanta Falcons front office. And it wouldn't be hard.
View Quote

We'd still be better after we each had a six pack.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
Kirk Cousins after a long day at the office mentoring Penix:

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#20]

There’s really no comparison to the GB with Love. I mean if Williams/Daniels had dropped to 8th - then I could see it.

View All Quotes

Well, at least for the Falcons their QB pick won’t result in them potentially pissing away multiple rings they could have won with the #1 seed and that year’s MVP at QB.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Goodell on with Pat today. Mentioned the schedule hope for the NFL:
  • 2 preseason games
  • 18 regular season games
  • extend calendar 1 week
  • Super Bowl will land on President's Day weekend (3 day weekend)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#22]

https://i.makeagif.com/media/2-17-2016/7ZoOxX.gif
View All Quotes

https://i.makeagif.com/media/2-17-2016/7ZoOxX.gif

Indeed. I can see where Cousins would be a little flustered about this but hey he's getting a ton of money guaranteed so I'd be less upset about that.  Cousins has been really smart about his contracts and getting that money.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:05:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#23]
Goodell on with Pat today. Mentioned the schedule hope for the NFL:
  • 2 preseason games
  • 18 regular season games
  • extend calendar 1 week
  • Super Bowl will land on President's Day weekend (3 day weekend)
View Quote

That would actually be a great idea.

Day after this year's superbowl I almost scared off a client because my voice was fucked up and gone.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Anyone that’s watched an episode of Sportscenter could outperform this front office.

The best pick they’ve made in the 1st round was a TE at #4.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Lions jumping right in front of the Packers to take the best man still on the board with Terrion Arnold was great for them. Got a really good player in a good spot while screwing the Packers out of what would likely have been there pick next. Then instead of going with that strong need in the secondary the Packers took a Guard in a questionable position. Not only that, but if the mean to keep him at Guard, then taking Graham Barton, who went next to the Bucs, would have been a better decision.

View Quote

I think the Lions were smart to make that move before GB picked him, but realistically I’m not sold on GB needing another 1st round DB.  Alexander, Stokes, & Valentine isn’t a bad trio when they’re healthy. O-Line is realistically their biggest position of need outside of ILB and I’m not sure if there was a ILB worth taking at that point. As far as I can tell, the guy they drafted fits their OL philosophy of agile lineman that can be moved around the line.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:37:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#26]
Originally Posted By Maverick52:

I think the Lions were smart to make that move before GB picked him, but realistically I'm not sold on GB needing another 1st round DB.  Alexander, Stokes, & Valentine isn't a bad trio when they're healthy. O-Line is realistically their biggest position of need outside of ILB and I'm not sure if there was a ILB worth taking at that point. As far as I can tell, the guy they drafted fits their OL philosophy of agile lineman that can be moved around the line.
View Quote
It's hard to say it's a bad move. They need OL, they drafted OL. So in that sense you can say they did something right immediately.

Morgan has been a 1st round prospect according to most of the draft analysts, at worst a 2nd rounder. But he is definitely more a flex position player. A guy they could insert at either tackle or guard and will make do. Versus picking someone who is going to excel in one spot.

If it's to be a dedicated guard, Graham would have been far and above a better pick. He is also a much more capable guy if they needed him to slide into center.

By taking Morgan it feels like they may be thinking of moving Tom to Center and putting Morgan at RT. Morgan is a bit undersized for tackle, but so was Bakhtiari when they drafted him. So we'll see.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:40:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#27]
Via Tom Pelissero: The Falcons are the first team in the common draft era (1967-) to select offensive skill position players, in the top 8, in 4 consecutive drafts.

Kyle Pitts, Drake London, Bijan Robinson, Michael Penix Jr.

Edit: And Michael Penix Jr, in spite of being the last one drafted, is the oldest out of all 4.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Out of curiosity, I looked up the career history of the Falcons’ GM.

Suddenly I’m thinking there is a possibility this gross incompetence might be intentional.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Via Tom Pelissero: The Falcons are the first team in the common draft era (1967-) to select offensive skill position players, in the top 8, in 4 consecutive drafts.

Edit: And Michael Penix Jr, in spite of being the last one drafted, is the oldest out of all 4.
View Quote

Well, that is also the reason that they have had the chance to draft in the top 8 for four straight years...

I just heard the best analogy about the situation: "It's like cheating on your wife on your honeymoon."
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Well, that is also the reason that they have had the chance to draft in the top 8 for four straight years...

I just heard the best analogy about the situation: "It's like cheating on your wife on your honeymoon."
View All Quotes

Along Came Polly

Very unrated comedy, IMO.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:59:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GenYRevolverGuy] [#31]

ETA:

Rickey 4 hours earlier-

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I think everyone has forgot that the 2023 season was the year of the backup QB.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:17:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GenYRevolverGuy] [#33]

ETA:

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:20:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#34]

View Quote
NFL Chief Administrative Officer Dawn Aponte stated it was now an option to wear during a game if the player so chooses.

NFL Chief Medical Officer Allen Sills in response, "So we might actually see a Guardian Cap on a player in a game this year. That's possible. Great. Big change coming up."

So which player is going to be the first to opt to wear it? Edit: Going to be a Center? I would guess it will likely be an offensive lineman of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Kansas City Raiders!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:54:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#36]
NFL Chief Administrative Officer Dawn Aponte stated it was now an option to wear during a game if the player so chooses.

NFL Chief Medical Officer Allen Sills in response, "So we might actually see a Guardian Cap on a player in a game this year. That's possible. Great. Big change coming up."

So which player is going to be the first to opt to wear it? Edit: Going to be a Center? I would guess it will likely be an offensive lineman of some sort.
View All Quotes

Too much traction and leverage on the head imo. Somebody will get their head turned around exorcist style.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:58:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StarCityShooter] [#37]

ETA:

Rickey 4 hours earlier-

View Quote

Nah, I dont want Deebo in Buffalo. Use the picks to get good, cheap talent.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

If the entire O line wore them, it would be an effective way to obscure the defense vision
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:

If the entire O line wore them, it would be an effective way to obscure the defense vision
View Quote

"Upgrade your O line with this one simple trick..."

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:

Nah, I dont want Deebo in Buffalo. Use the picks to get good, cheap talent.
View Quote

#thatsright
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#41]
It's hard to say it's a bad move. They need OL, they drafted OL. So in that sense you can say they did something right immediately.

Morgan has been a 1st round prospect according to most of the draft analysts, at worst a 2nd rounder. But he is definitely more a flex position player. A guy they could insert at either tackle or guard and will make do. Versus picking someone who is going to excel in one spot.

If it's to be a dedicated guard, Graham would have been far and above a better pick. He is also a much more capable guy if they needed him to slide into center.

By taking Morgan it feels like they may be thinking of moving Tom to Center and putting Morgan at RT. Morgan is a bit undersized for tackle, but so was Bakhtiari when they drafted him. So we'll see.
View Quote

I think he’s a Runyan replacement that will be able to play tackle when injuries hit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

If the Cardinals or Panthers O-line wears them, they’ll invent the QB screen play.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#43]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMHDCrlaIAATUDf?format=jpg&name=small

https://tutto80.it/public/images/20237718992.jpg

ETA:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMHEtQRXoAIl6Pb?format=png&name=small

View Quote

It’s going to be hilarious if a player wears something that goofy looking during a game.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Albert Breer is reporting that the Giants offered the #6 and their 2025 1st to move up to #3 with New England, but the Patriots declined.

If true, I guess the Giants were okay replacing Jones with Maye, but not McCarthy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#48]
New Chicago Bears WR Rome Odunze on a Chicago Sports Radio interview. Informed that the Bears' all-time leading receiver is Johnny Morris with 5,059 yards.

"In the career?"

"I hope I go break that record and add a few thousand to it."

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Kollman predicted Ladd if they took Alt Two days ago.  Nailed it
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Gute with 6% of picks occurring tonight
Page / 48
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top