Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Atlantis (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#1]
A place so significant that Herodotus never mentions thinks to mention it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh, it was real all right. But where the hell was it? Someday we'll find it, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Most do not appreciate the fact that the sea level has risen 43 meters in the last 110,000 years due to the end of the Ice Age. There is a helluva lot of land that would be usable if the sea level was lowered that much. An Ikea built style of civilization would leave almost zero trace behind.

Case in point, there will be no trace of what was once Rhodesia left in Zimbabwe in 30 years. No buildings, roads, or structures. Nothing. Erased. Gone. Now imagine 30 years plus 100,000 years at depths of over 100 feet.

I don't have physical proof positive of an antediluvian civilization in my hand; but, will not be surprised when it shows up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe Atlantis is a myth based on an actual event that was chronicled long after it happened. That would explain both the migration of the Minoan people and the embellished stories of technology and knowledge of the Atlantians. It's common for spoken stories and history to be distorted after so many re- tellings. Plato was the first to write about it if I remember correctly, and that was at least nine thousand years after the supposed events of the tale.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:35:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Richat structure is an eroded dome,. interesting but natural.

Atlantis was likely Thera and the Minoans.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#6]
My take is it was probably the Santorini eruption. It had such a lasting impact on the region was passed down in folk tales until they were ultimately recorded or at least alluded to by Hesiod's Theogony and Plato's Timaeus and Critias amongst others.

Perhaps the ancients viewed the Minoans as the lost people of Atlantis?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:58:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wizzy] [#7]
I think it was the Richat.

• The oldest maps of Africa show that area as being named Atlantis and having massive lakes and rivers. The idea is the map makers copied this info from earlier maps which are now lost.

• Legend has it in Mauritania that their first king was named Atlas. This is the same name given by Plato as the first king of Atlantis.

• "In front of the Pillars of Heracles" (strait of Gibralter) can be translated as up the cost of Spain or down the coast of Africa. It's not necessarily "in front".

• The word often translated as "island" that Plato uses to describe Atlantis actually has six different translations, including peninsula and area surrounded by lakes and rivers. So it was not necessarily an island. This jives with Plato's description of there being vast farmlands.

• The size of the Richat is bigger than the dimensions given by Plato, but if anything is going to be lost in translations over the course of 9000+ years it would be measurements. The actual size of the Richat is more suitable for a large, bustling city.

• Atlantis was said to be rich in gold. So is Mauritania.

• That area has the same color rocks described by Plato (red, black, and I think another color).

• Science people now believe the Sahara was lush and green back in that time.

• The timing of the destruction of Atlantis perfectly aligns with the younger dryas impact theory.

• Apparently you can see the area was wiped out by flowing water from giant ripples in the earth.

That's all I can think of right now, but there's more. I used to think it was the mid-Atlantic ridge, now buried by lava under the sea. But BrightInsight convinced me it's the Richat. Everything lines up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:52:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wizzy] [#8]
Originally Posted By PanzerOfDoom:
My take is it was probably the Santorini eruption. It had such a lasting impact on the region was passed down in folk tales until they were ultimately recorded or at least alluded to by Hesiod's Theogony and Plato's Timaeus and Critias amongst others.

Perhaps the ancients viewed the Minoans as the lost people of Atlantis?
View Quote

I never understood theories that put Atlantis in the Mediterranean. Plato clearly says it's outside the Columns of Heracles, meaning not in the Mediterranean.

https://ascendingpassage.com/plato-atlantis-timaeus.htm

https://ascendingpassage.com/plato-atlantis-critias.htm
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:56:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#9]
Originally Posted By Wizzy:

I never understood theories that put Atlantis in the Mediterranean. Plato clear says it's outside the Columns of Heracles, meaning not in the Mediterranean.

https://ascendingpassage.com/plato-atlantis-timaeus.htm

https://ascendingpassage.com/plato-atlantis-critias.htm
View Quote

Plato lived 1200 years after Santorini. That's a lot of time for details to blur, and history to become myth
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AUEjzVQwKo
View Quote

Came here to post this...
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
The Minoans.
View Quote

Santorini went boom.
Might have had hot and cold running water.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Probably a combination of true events that happened over centuries at numerous locations across the Mediterranean and Persian Gulf areas. All we really have now of life back then are faint echos from enormous empires with huge armies. It isn’t hard to imagine an ancient library getting snuffed out by a flood or earthquake having potentially fatal effect on early city-states. The amount of stored knowledge that has been lost makes ancient historians misty eyed. Atlantis was several places that got nuked like Pompeii way back in the day, the story has been compressed into one place.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Myth.  Any city that large and advanced (allegedly) would have left evidence.  A lot of evidence.

There are plenty of ancient cities across the globe, to be sure.  And we know about them because of the evidence they left - ruins, artifacts, written stories that have been documented by other civilizations.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a city in Florida that Joe Bidens brother voted in Joe's first election for VP.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:49:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#15]
The Sahara used to be a gigantic lake system with forest and plains. Those lakes turned into aquifers which were found in the early 2000’s.

10-12,000 years ago the earth got wiped by rapid deglaciation flooding. North America was under hundreds of feet of ice back then. We just don’t know the cause for the deglaciation yet.

Hunan history got erased in a big way, and the entire earth changed. Atlantis being real is probably pretty likely.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#16]
When you say Atlantis, I think of one thing.

Billy Batts.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:00:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeckThomas] [#17]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

That part bugs me. Because it's like that experiment everybody does in school where at one end of the room someone passes down a message they whisper to the next person, and by the time it gets to the end of the classroom it's a bit different.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:
Probably real in some form, definitely mythical in the handed down versions.

That part bugs me. Because it's like that experiment everybody does in school where at one end of the room someone passes down a message they whisper to the next person, and by the time it gets to the end of the classroom it's a bit different.

Except when your talking about cultures who take the spoke word very seriously. Inuits by the spoken word only gave coordinates that pin pointed one of the Franklin Expeditions ships. Coordinates that had been passed over a hundred and fifty years.

We Americans do not take are spoken language seriously yet Navajos can point out watering holes in a traveling song. We Americans can accurately tell the story of a reindeer who had a nose disability through song and I imagine through songs sang repeatedly is how the information was captured.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#18]
they're real if I can touch them
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bellows1:
Real.

I used to think myth until they started finding all of these lost cities around the globe.

Somewhere off the coast of Africa probably.
View Quote

Richat Structure
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Hellier Season 1: Episode 1 | The Midnight Children

Introduction to High Strangeness....
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I've always liked the idea that it was a garbled story about the Minoan civilization and its collapse after the eruption of Thera on Santorini.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:53:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Atlantis was the capital of a past civilization that the Anunnaki had built prior to our appearance in the world.

Many relics remain concealed by the Knights Templars with entire cities still present hidden in time in Antarctica which is still being concealed from us today.

All of this is written down as a historical record in the Ancient Sumerians tablets and that of Egypt.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:58:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#24]
Originally Posted By thefreshman991:
Atlantis was the capital of a past civilization that the Anunnaki had built prior to our appearance in the world.

Many relics remain concealed by the Knights Templars with entire cities still present hidden in time in Antarctica which is still being concealed from us today.

All of this is written down as a historical record in the Ancient Sumerians tablets and that of Egypt.  

View Quote

The Sumerian texts are crazy.

Most don’t know the word “eden” is Sumerian for flat land.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#25]
The older I get and the more from people like Graham Hancock and his buddy I see and hear, the more I think it’s real and we have seriously mis-timed our history.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I think it was more likely than not to have been a real place that had sufficient economic and military power to be notable in histories found in other lands that suffered a sudden catastrophe that resulted in its loss.  I remember a location in Spain being really intriguing as a potential site (I think the ones in Africa have been debunked) but it may well may never be found and I think a lot has been lost to rising sea levels over thousands of years and destructive flooding and other such events resulting from deglaciation and perhaps impact events.

What I think are myths are the more modern notions of Atlantis being technologically advanced well beyond its times or even beyond our own in some ways.  I don't think there are any real bases for such beliefs about Atlantis.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:27:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By macman37:
The older I get and the more from people like Graham Hancock and his buddy I see and hear, the more I think it’s real and we have seriously mis-timed our history.
View Quote

Gobekli Tepe in Turkey blew away pretty much all prior theories on humanity. People still argue the Sumerians were the first civilized society but Gobekli Tepe outdated the Sumerians by 6,000 years. People argue they weren’t civilized but if you see pictures of the site it’s obvious they’re coping.

They’ve also found a stone axe and measured, notched, and carved wood for the base of a structure dating almost 500,000 years ago in Zambia.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TaxPayer77:
Watch Randall Carlson's video series on Plato's account...Then watch his series on the Cosmic Grail.
View Quote

Where can this be found? @TaxPayer77
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 32ACP:

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof….” Carl Sagan

I get it.  My training is in chemistry.

However, with human civilization/cultures and natural disasters of various planetary scale, like plagues, volcanoes & tsunamis, we will not know to provide data until it’s found, which may be never.  Examples include The Dead Sea Scrolls, Ötzi, The Rosetta Stone, etc.  or, penicillin or thiokol.

Assumptions Atlantis was über-advanced are pointless because we have never found any evidence that past human tech is more advanced than current human tech.
View Quote

What do you expect to be left after 12-13,000 years?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By jwliv180:
Not bad. The original series was better and McCabe was really irritating.
View Quote

I liked it and sgu.  Originall has it's moments
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

Richat structure is an eroded dome,. interesting but natural.

Atlantis was likely Thera and the Minoans.
View Quote

Explain away the two wells, one cold, one me hot, the eye has BOTH.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

A perpetual myth much like the flood of Gilgamesh and others concocted during the metal age.
View Quote

The name Gilgamesh shows up in the Book of Giants from the Dead Sea Scrolls which are several thousand years old
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
A place so significant that Herodotus never mentions thinks to mention it?
View Quote

Herodotus possibly never heard of Atlantis.  It wasn't a well known concept in the ancient world, especially before Plato.  This may be because Plato made it up, or misinterpreted family myth.  Or, it may be because almost all actual knowledge of Atlantis had disappeared, barely surviving because of Plato.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By thefreshman991:

View Quote

The Sumerians (c. 5,500 - 1,800 BC) wrote about the Knights Templar (1,120 - 1,307 AD)?  I never realized the Sumerians could look into the future or visited Antarticia!  Damn, I need to reread Snow Crash.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:10:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grendelbane] [#35]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

The Sumerians (c. 5,500 - 1,800 BC) wrote about the Knights Templar (1,120 - 1,307 AD)?  I never realized the Sumerians could look into the future or visited Antarticia!  Damn, I need to reread Snow Crash.
View Quote

The Sumerians are the ones who told the Knights Templar about Oak Island.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:

Where can this be found? @TaxPayer77
View Quote

I hope you have about 500 hours to burn. It is hard to find, but it is on youtubes in a playlist on his channel at the bottom.

Randall Carlson Podcast 003 Atlantis Mystery - Evidence Revealed Pt1: Geologic Heresy & the "A-word"

22 minute condensed version from Jahanna James

Scientific Evidence for Plato's ATLANTIS - Randall Carlson's Research 101

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm holding out for finding the land of Mu.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#38]
An ancient city of 5-10,000 people is not hard to disappear to time.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Real.  Advanced ancient culture.  Probably responsible for the maps the Perry Riece (sp?) were based on.  Flooded during when impacts melted the glaciers, beginning the Greater Dryas (sp?) period.  This is why we have flood myths world wide.  Survivors attempted to spread their knowledge to the survivor groups, reduced to stone-age survival.  Hence the "man with a purse" myths in so many geographically isolated cultures.

That's what I've come to believe in the past few years.  We have much history that has either been lost or hidden from us.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Just having a civil discussion on ancient history is fairly extraordinary for GD. It does amaze me that we probably don’t know as much as we actually know.

That contemporary experts continue to discount our recent and distant pasts is rather disturbing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#41]
someday.. in the far far future, people will tell tales of a place called florida that sank into the ocean. it wont sink, it will simply be flooded by all the icecaps melting.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Probably real to some extent. More and more evidence is being found to support the idea that what we once thought were just myths about ancient history may have actually happened, like an ancient catastrophic flooding event that wiped out civilizations worldwide and caused a reset and loss of knowledge and history prior to it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By PanzerOfDoom:
Just having a civil discussion on ancient history is fairly extraordinary for GD. It does amaze me that we probably don’t know as much as we actually know.

That contemporary experts continue to discount our recent and distant pasts is rather disturbing.
View Quote

Cite?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:13:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wizzy] [#44]
Originally Posted By motoguy:
Real.  Advanced ancient culture.  Probably responsible for the maps the Perry Riece (sp?) were based on.  Flooded during when impacts melted the glaciers, beginning the Greater Dryas (sp?) period.  This is why we have flood myths world wide.  Survivors attempted to spread their knowledge to the survivor groups, reduced to stone-age survival.  Hence the "man with a purse" myths in so many geographically isolated cultures.

That's what I've come to believe in the past few years.  We have much history that has either been lost or hidden from us.
View Quote

Piri Reis. It's a 500 year old Turkish map that allegedly shows Antarctica without ice.
https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/01/02/piri-reis-map-of-1513/

There's also the Orontius Finaeus map from 1531 that shows the entire continent of Antarctica without ice and even shows mountain ranges now known to exist.
https://www.diegocuoghi.com/Piri_Reis/Finaeus_eng.htm

Antarctica wasn't discovered until the 1800s, and scientists claim it's been covered in ice for millions of years. But it's possible the ice is much more recent, and a catastrophic pole shift moved the continent. Here's a good video if you wanna get spooked on Antarctica:

Mysteries Beneath the Ice: The Secrets of Antarctica
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:18:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#45]
there is so much shit that we don't know and scientist are too fucking stupid to realize where it all went.

but yes atlantis was real, antartica has a shit ton of stuff under the ice and snow from previous civilizations, and there is a ton of shit under the water right now.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't know but it certainly was the basis for a banger of an adventure game back in the early 90s.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:37:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wizzy] [#47]
Originally Posted By @PanzerOfDoom:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By @PanzerOfDoom:
Originally Posted By @midcap:
there is so much shit that we don't know and scientist are too fucking stupid to realize where it all went.
Reminiscent of covid & the vax, there's a pervasive mind-control in the world of science, history, and archaeology to deny any free-thinking or examinations of evidence that contradict official narratives.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:53:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wizzy] [#48]
Originally Posted By sparkyfender2:
I'm holding out for finding the land of Mu.
Attachment Attached File

View Quote

That map shows Atlantis on the mid-Atlantic ridge. I used to believe that was the likely spot. The Azores are part of the mid-Atlantic ridge. When the sea level was 400 feet lower, much more of the ridge would have been exposed. Also the ridge acts as a hinge. With two miles of ice covering N. America, pushing down on the tectonic plate, this would cause the "hinge" in the middle of the Atlantic to be thrust skywards, making even more land exposed. Additionally, the jet stream could have gone through this area making for a pleasant climate.

I now think it's more likely to be in Mauritania at the Richat. Look up BrightInsight on youtube. He makes a compelling case.

Wherever it is, I think it's highly likely to have been real instead of a made up myth. The destruction of Atlantis being told as 11,600 years ago just lines up too perfectly with the Younger Dryas Impact Theory. And the story being transmitted to Solon from Egyptian priests in 600 BC makes it very intriguing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Wizzy:
Reminiscent of covid & the vax, there's a pervasive mind-control in the world of science, history, and archaeology to deny any free-thinking or examinations of evidence that contradict official narratives.
View Quote

Cite?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:08:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wizzy] [#50]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Cite?
View Quote
That's the third time you've said that. Are you just kidding? Or are you using the well known conversation disruption technique of demanding a "source" for everything said? In which case, even if a source were given, you wouldn't read it. You would then move on to the second step of the technique which is to attack the source.

In any case, we aren't discussing science here. We don't need obscure papers from science journals to cite in our posts, lol. We're theorizing, speculating, & spitballin'. Feel free to contribute.
Page / 3
Atlantis (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top