Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Ruger, S&W, Springfield, Desert Eagle, Bull Armory and Kimber.
I think they all make a aluminum frame model in both 5" and 4.25.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Emt1581:

Can someone please clarify this for me?  

Why the reference to sexual preference when looking at the issue of whether someone utilizes a light on their gun??  

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 19ontheslide:
I regularly carry a Colt Competition in .45 that I got for under 8 bills not long ago. But it doesn't have a rail because I like females, so there's that.

Can someone please clarify this for me?  

Why the reference to sexual preference when looking at the issue of whether someone utilizes a light on their gun??  

Thanks

Really?  He’s saying he thinks the rails on 1911s are gay.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I carried a 1911 for many years. Springfield full-sized LW model with a bunch of parts swapped out for tool steel. It's sitting about 10' from me as I type this.

Is it reliable? Yes, absolutely.

Would I ever - knowing what I know now about modern hollowpoint terminal performance and things like that - start over and go back down that road?

Oh heavens no. A proper 1911 is a thing of beauty to carry, hold, and shoot, but costs 4x what a perfectly functional polymer 9mm costs, holds half the ammo, and gives no significant advantage in terminal performance.

And even if you start with a under-$500 "Just as Good" 1911 clone and spend some money trying different magazines and running a ton of ammo through it to be certain it's reliable and you're reasonably certain no parts are gonna break......you still end up with a greater initial investment than a 9mm polymer gun that'll run reliably out of the box, you don't save any money, and you still have a low ammo capacity.

*shrug*

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Used Dan Wesson.
View Quote

A yup.

" />
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
I carried a 1911 for many years. Springfield full-sized LW model with a bunch of parts swapped out for tool steel. It's sitting about 10' from me as I type this.

Is it reliable? Yes, absolutely.

Would I ever - knowing what I know now about modern hollowpoint terminal performance and things like that - start over and go back down that road?

Oh heavens no. A proper 1911 is a thing of beauty to carry, hold, and shoot, but costs 4x what a perfectly functional polymer 9mm costs, holds half the ammo, and gives no significant advantage in terminal performance.

And even if you start with a under-$500 "Just as Good" 1911 clone and spend some money trying different magazines and running a ton of ammo through it to be certain it's reliable and you're reasonably certain no parts are gonna break......you still end up with a greater initial investment than a 9mm polymer gun that'll run reliably out of the box, you don't save any money, and you still have a low ammo capacity.

*shrug*

View Quote

I've never had a deer shoulder stop a .45
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View Quote

I've never shot a deer in self defense so I can't help you there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:27:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dan1918A2] [#7]
My Garrison has been great.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

Do you think a bullet acts differently in self defense vs hunting?

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

My point is that I see no reason to engage in anecdotal caliber arguments where you offered no context to even allow me to identify the exact argument you're making.

Proper modern 9mm hollowpoints behave similarly to proper modern .45 hollowpoints. This is well-documented truth.

If you want to argue otherwise, I won't play, because it's pointless.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 19ontheslide:
I regularly carry a Colt Competition in .45 that I got for under 8 bills not long ago. But it doesn't have a rail because I like females, so there's that.
View Quote

I like females, too, and I carry this every day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bellows1:
Ruger, S&W, Springfield, Desert Eagle, Bull Armory and Kimber.
I think they all make a aluminum frame model in both 5" and 4.25.
View Quote

Those Bull double stack 9mm do look sweet.
I dont think they come in under 1k though
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I carried light weight Colt Commanders for years and loved them (still do) but I recently started carrying a Colt Defender and I'm enamored with it.

Light weight and easy to carry OWB and it's dead nuts reliable as well. The recoil is surprisingly light and feels about the same as a Commander sized pistol or perhaps a bit less. I can only guess that the dual recoil spring is the reason for this.

They can be had for under a thousand at various places but they do sell out quick when Colt produces a run of them.

Colt Defender .45 acp $899.99
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:49:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thatguybryan] [#13]
I’d recommend a Colt of some sort or a Springfield TRP (go up like $300 on your price).

I owned a Colt Commander 9mm and carried it for a while and it was ridiculously easy to shoot and reliable.

My TRP has had maybe 1 bobble with a new magazine (which sucks) but it’s had like 7-800 rounds through it now and no other issues, including lots of 230gr HST.

Carry the TRP every so often, usually in R. Grizzle leather with a suit. Going to send it out soon to get it cut for an RDS.

Edit- I have not had luck with the Wilson ETM mags. My TRP hates the one l have for some reason, so I highly recommend Wilson 47Ds. I am going to test some other mags (Checkmate, Mecgar, CMC) in it as well, but my 47Ds have been flawless from day 1.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I carry a Girsan Officer’s model or a Ruger SR1911 Commander in 9mm.

The Girsan is under 500 and the commander is around 6-700.

Both have never had a single malfunction.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:53:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath] [#15]

No experience with 4.25" so can't say.
View Quote

I have carried all 3 types, Commander, Officer’s and full size.

By far the most comfortable is the Officer’s model, it is shorter barrel and slide, and shorter grip, so it conceals better.

The Commander size is next, especially a lightweight commander, same grip and frame as a full sized 1911, but a little shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

By far the most comfortable is the Officer’s model, it is shorter barrel and slide, and shorter grip, so it conceals better.

The Commander size is next, especially a lightweight commander, same grip and frame, but a little shorter barrel.
View All Quotes

No experience with 4.25" so can't say.

The Commander size is next, especially a lightweight commander, same grip and frame, but a little shorter barrel.

Albeit the Commander has the same grip length as gov mgl.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Yeah?  They seem really well liked but between a SA and a Turkish made gun, I would and have gone with SA.  Plus if I ever wanted to get rid of it, I'm guessing a SA would hold it's value.  

Just thinking out loud at this point.  

Thanks for sharing!
View Quote

My wife has an EMP, pre Ronin.  It shoots factory loads fine, but it won’t shoot my reloads.  I think the primers are too deep for the finicky, expensive gun.

I can take the shells that the EMP doesn’t shoot, load them into my Ruger and they go bang every time.

It is a known issue with the EMP, but the new Ronin hopefully fixed it.

Don’t discount Turkish guns over American guns.  There are tons and tons of good reviews on Turkish Tina’s, and there are quite a few reviews that don’t give SA as a good of marks.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:

Albeit the Commander has the same grip length as gov mgl.
View Quote

You are right, I should have clarified it has the same grip and frame as a full sized…
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Yeah?  They seem really well liked but between a SA and a Turkish made gun, I would and have gone with SA.  Plus if I ever wanted to get rid of it, I'm guessing a SA would hold it's value.  

Thanks for sharing!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By glockperfection35:
I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Tisas. Bought a few of them because of their price point and they’ve actually turned out to be really nice shooters.

Thanks for sharing!

I had problems with a stainless SA Garrison that I bought new. It had a failure to eject after the third round was fired. The slide jammed the fired case's mouth against the left side of the breech. This happened repeatedly until the slide jammed, half closed. I was using S&B red/green box 230 gr hardball ammo.  I had to smack the muzzle against the bench to get the slide to close.  When I field stripped it, I discovered that the underside of the slide was caked with brass that had been scraped off of the rounds in the mag.  The "rib" on the underside of the slide had a three-digit number on it that appeared to be from a forging die. After I filed that off, the SA functioned reliably.  I replaced the MIM slide stop, barrel bushing, and recoil spring plunger tube with Wilson Combat parts.  I replaced the thin grip panels with a Pachmayr Signature grip.
Now my SA Garrison is a nice range gun, but I don't regard SA pistols as Top Tier.  IMO, a top tier defensive weapon will function reliably right out of the box.
Glock's G23 is my favorite compact pistol.  If I had to choose a "Commander" for CC, it would probably be a Sig, Colt or S&W.  After cleaning and oiling, I would take it and 200 rounds to the range for a reliability check.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#20]

My point is that I see no reason to engage in anecdotal caliber arguments where you offered no context to even allow me to identify the exact argument you're making.

Proper modern 9mm hollowpoints behave similarly to proper modern .45 hollowpoints. This is well-documented truth.

View All Quotes

" gives no significant advantage in terminal performance"

This is not true and there is zero documented truth to this.

The 9mm works good and is cheaper, and is easier for new students to Qual, and causes less breakages on cheaper guns creating a perfect storm of perfect for use by agencies buying large amounts of guns/ammo/parts etc

On the internet the above has been twisted into the 9mm is equal to everything else regarding terminal performance. It just not true.

"As you increase bullet size and mass from 9 mm/357 Sig, to .40 S&W, to .45 ACP, more tissue is crushed, resulting in a larger permanent cavity. In addition, the larger bullets often offer better performance through intermediate barriers." - DocGKR

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a colt defender back in the day that was flawless. Light for the time and being a 1911.

It was pricey at $700 almost 20 years ago though. I think they are going for more now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:17:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#22]

The 9mm works good and is cheaper, and is easier for new students to Qual, and causes less breakages on cheaper guns creating a perfect storm of perfect for use by agencies buying large amounts of guns/ammo/parts etc

On the internet the above has been twisted into the 9mm is equal to everything else regarding terminal performance. It just not true.

"As you increase bullet size and mass from 9 mm/357 Sig, to .40 S&W, to .45 ACP, more tissue is crushed, resulting in a larger permanent cavity. In addition, the larger bullets often offer better performance through intermediate barriers." - DocGKR

View All Quotes

Agree, @03RN. Sure, a 9mm hollowpoint might behave just like a .45 in expansion because the design is optimized for a particular velocity. That does NOT mean terminal effects are the same - and they're not. I've tested 147gr 9mm HST and 230gr .45 Auto HST personally and the difference in frontal area of expanded slugs is significant. In .45 they open up just shy of an inch. Since handgun rounds don't cause hydrostatic shock, you want big holes.

9mm not expanded: 0.0989 square inches
.45 not expanded: 0.1597 square inches
9mm expanded: 0.33 square inches approximately, from my testing
.45 expanded: 0.71 square inches

In other words, the .45 auto HST expands to approximately 215% of the size of a 147gr 9mm HST.
8+1 of .45 auto expanded: 6.39 square inches
15+1 of 9mm expanded: 5.28 square inches

Now, obviously 9mm splits will be a little quicker and the expanded slug doesnt make a hole that size all the way through, but number dont lie. The expansion numbers here are from my testing, not from lucky gunner or anyone else's numbers. If you want to complain that my teats are invalid or whatever, go ahead, I do not care.  I'm not going to get into methodologies because I did the tests for myself - not to make money or for any other reason.

Someone will come along to say "oh but 9mm is so much easier to shoot I'll shoot them more times and faster and blah blah blah..."  
Attachment Attached File

Is capacity important? Sure, it is helpful. Is 8+1 of .45 Auto all of the sudden a limp dick, "okay boomer" carry because most 9mms have greater capacity? Hardly. If you shoot something well and it is chambered in a good defensive cartridge then carry on with confidence. This trend of 9mm being the ultimate carry round "because the ammo tech has gotten so much better" and pretending that no other calibers benefit from the same technological advances is stupid at best.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Leaning toward Tisas Stingray.  Under $415 shipped from Grab A Gun.

9 vs 45?

I have probably 2-3 dozen 9mm guns.  I have 2 45's.  For a 1911 I might carry...thoughts on caliber?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I've carried a 938 for years. One of them has a couple thousand round through it. Most of that Gold Dot or Underwood XPS rounds. The other is too new for that many miles.

If you can bring yourself to part with another couple hundo or buy used. They have been reliable and accurate for me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TaxPayer77:
I carry a Tisas 4.25 stingray carry 45, bobtail, alum frame, nice trigger, undercut trigger, no rail. It is noticeably lighter than a colt 5 inch.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sds-imports-1911-stingray-carry-45-acp-4-25-8-1rds-dark-gray-cerakote-10100103.html
View Quote

Tisas has what you need.  This one if you’re dead set on .45 SS.  

But that check out the Turkatto DS 9mm.   Less than a grand, and if it gets great reviews?    It shall be mine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Tisas has what you need.  This one if you’re dead set on .45 SS.  

But that check out the Turkatto DS 9mm.   Less than a grand, and if it gets great reviews?    It shall be mine.
View Quote

There's a $200 difference between the 9mm and 45.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Leaning toward Tisas Stingray.  Under $415 shipped from Grab A Gun.

9 vs 45?

I have probably 2-3 dozen 9mm guns.  I have 2 45's.  For a 1911 I might carry...thoughts on caliber?

Thanks!
View Quote

I was hardcore anti-9mm in a 1911 until I fired one.

9mm for everyday carry.

But start building your collection so you have a choice.

WE have 2 officer’s models, one in 45 one in 9mm

2 Commanders in 9mm

4 full size in 45, and one in .22 lr
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#29]
LW colt commander.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#30]
lightweight money's worth

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I own three Tisas. I don’t carry them but they have all been reliable and I wouldn’t hesitate to carry one if I needed to.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#32]

The Commander size is next, especially a lightweight commander, same grip and frame as a full sized 1911, but a little shorter barrel.
View Quote

Colt made a CCO version (commander slide on a officer frame).   Rock Island has one as well, around $530 something on gundeals.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Rock Island Armory or Tisas
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Lol, 1k seems like it's meme worthy.

A couple hundred will tell you all you need to know.
View Quote
Oh look, more proof that GD is getting dumber.  Great.

Couple of hundred is not even a proper break in for a 1911.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:51:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By anesvick:

View All Quotes

A properly built 1911 shouldn't need a break in
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By doc540:
lightweight money's worth

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/Tisas6-3169503.jpg
View Quote

I want one, but I can't stand the bobbed grip...  :(
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By minimalist65:

Colt made a CCO version (commander slide on a officer frame).   Rock Island has one as well, around $530 something on gundeals.
View Quote

Huh, I did not know that...

I always wondered why no one had done the officer grip w/commander slide, and now someone has.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:26:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: styles] [#38]
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1040944626

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1040944626
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#39]
My Citadel has been 100% and is in my carry rotation.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#41]

I want one, but I can't stand the bobbed grip...  :(
View Quote

For what reason?...looks or function?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm pretty set on a 9mm Stingray at this point.  While it might disturb some here, it's a toss up between this and then either the P365/Hellcat.  Or might get both and use the polymer frame in the pocket and the Stingray on the hip.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Tisas Stingray 9mm

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By makaveli:
Tisas Stingray 9mm

https://i.postimg.cc/x12QyMv2/20240210-153614.jpg
View Quote

Did you swap out the sights/trigger/controls on that or is that how it came? If so....why?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Under 1K:

I have 3 Colt Competitions, all 3 perfect out of the box

My Ruger SR1911 (full sized, stainless, .45) Has been perfect since I got it when they first came out. I think I only paid $610.

My Springfield Garrison in 9mm is a fantastic pistol but like EVERY SPRINGFIELD I HAVE EVER BOUGHT it had to go back to make it run right. To thier credit, customer service is always excellent, turnaround is very fast, and it now runs like a top.

I would (and do) carry any of the above.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#46]

Did you swap out the sights/trigger/controls on that or is that how it came? If so....why?

Thanks!
View Quote

Yes I had a bunch of parts swapped for Wilson Combat bullet proof parts. I didn't really need to, I went kind of overboard. It was a good pistol when I got it now it's an awesome pistol.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By makaveli:

Yes I had a bunch of parts swapped for Wilson Combat bullet proof parts. I didn't really need to, I went kind of overboard. It was a good pistol when I got it now it's an awesome pistol.
View Quote

That's what they are called....bullet proof parts?  Or is that just how you see them.   Only thing I have Wilson is the mag in my SA Mil-Spec.  Do the Wilson parts drop in or need machining/fitting?  Do they make the gun noticeably smoother?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#48]
I've carried them all

-Government
-Commander
-CCO (Commander slide on Officer frame)
-Defender

I prefer the Defender- lightweight, accurate, reliable.  More accurate than any little gun has a right to be!

Someone posted a Colt Defender in .45 with night sights for $899- that is a bargain these days.  During the pandemic they were going for $1200 and up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

Defenders are great.
This is mine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#50]
My first vote for a carry gun would be a $350 CZ P-10C, but you want ancient, heavy crap for some reason.  

Stick with a 4-5" gun, the little 1911s tend to suck for reliability.  As far as reasonable offerings, I'm pretty impressed with Tisas for the money, Springfield Ronin is also a good deal.  Once you buy it, get some good mags (Wilson or CMC Powermags) and shoot it, a lot.  Run a shitload of your chosen carry ammo through it before trusting it.
View Quote

@anesvick

Or Checkmate mags.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top