Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Dali size container ship emergency generator power and steering

Dali size containership emergency generator power and steering
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -SkyRaider-:

God damn.  A Chinamax drafts 79 feet.  Down by the keel is practically like a submarine at that point.  I wonder how thick the hull is down there to resist the pressure.
View Quote

.433 PSI per vertical foot of immersion for the hull pressure.  Hull Plating to the bilge radius is probably 30 to 38 mm thick, and an AH material grade.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RnchTrnr23111:

.433 PSI per vertical foot of immersion for the hull pressure.  Hull Plating to the bilge radius is probably 30 to 38 mm thick, and an AH material grade.
View Quote

How thick is a hull at the waterline, typically?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:

Pay attention?  Metal starts to move, get the fuck out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
When dudes are flame cutting the steel members, how do they know that a massive amount of stored energy won’t be released when they complete the cut and unalive their asses?

Or do they use expendable/disposable type guys for this type of work?

Pay attention?  Metal starts to move, get the fuck out.

I've done torching. Truck frames, not bridges, but the principles are the same. Torch person works in tandem with the crane operator to cut, lift, and separate the pieces. Building demolition is somewhat the same.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Dali size container ship steering system. How it's designed to not hit Francis Scott key bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JElUSyNIJGo
View Quote

None of those redundant systems matter when you have a group of uneducated peasants operating the ship.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:50:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#6]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Coming in hot..

Ship collides with container crane causing it to collapse on southern Taiwan port
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Rainy & fog on the live streams nothing happening today so far.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By eolian:
Rainy & fog on the live streams nothing happening today so far.
View Quote
Sal was saying on his YT that they're on a pause because of concerns with the gas line that is running under the impact area.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:
Sal was saying on his YT that they're on a pause because of concerns with the gas line that is running under the impact area.
View Quote

I thought they turned the gas off.

Without telling anybody.

lol
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#11]
A channel has opened for vessels clearing wreckage at the Baltimore bridge collapse site

A channel has opened for vessels clearing wreckage at the Baltimore bridge collapse site

The U.S. Coast Guard has opened a temporary, alternate channel for vessels involved in the clearing of debris at the site of the collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, part of a phased approach to opening the main channel leading to the vital port, officials said.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#12]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uo7dt7s2IQ

The U.S. Coast Guard has opened a temporary, alternate channel for vessels involved in the clearing of debris at the site of the collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, part of a phased approach to opening the main channel leading to the vital port, officials said.
View Quote

I wonder how the Chinese submarines are getting in and out of the harbor.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:35:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#13]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#14]
MV Dali & Baltimore Bridge April 1, 2024 Update | New Channel, Who is in Charge & End of NTSB News

MV Dali & Baltimore Bridge April 1, 2024 Update | New Channel, Who is in Charge & End of NTSB News

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad an 11 foot deep channel opening up. Water skiers will love it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#18]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz9pc6_ZiIM
View Quote

oh look, a buoy in support of 2A.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:34:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar] [#20]

First vessel passes through temporary channel near Key Bridge collapse

First Boat Goes Through NEW Alt Channel Key Bridge Collapse
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SnoGoRider:

That video looks like something out of an Apocalypse movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr7mW0OdJWA

View Quote

Wow, the youtube account terminated?  What was in that video???
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
Where did that thickness come from?

Really, unless we are talking about an area of specific reinforcement, I don't think over 19 mm or 3/4" steel is used for the hull plating in large commercial oil tankers and container ships.

80 feet deep is just under 36 psi in sea water.

The hull steel is a skin backed by steel structural framework and lots of it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#23]

First vessel passes through temporary channel near Key Bridge collapse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eVOatcz9oc
View Quote

because towboat captains are used to driving on treacherous two-lanes
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#24]

How thick is a hull at the waterline, typically?
View Quote

I would assume between 15mm to 17mm, and AH.  Then would transition between 23mm or 25mm to the sheer strake, which would be probably 40mm to 45mm but that material grade is probably an EH40 or similar.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:

Really, unless we are talking about an area of specific reinforcement, I don't think over 19 mm or 3/4" steel is used for the hull plating in large commercial oil tankers and container ships.

View Quote

My material thicknesses come from different classes of container ships that I have either managed the design for or managed the construction/repair of the program.  I am currently involved with a new construction LNG container vessel program.  

The hull thickness that I provided above is towards the upper side of the thickness.  Minimal, you may be looking at 17mm to 19mm (AH), but that is on the light side.

The pressure you provided above is based upon the SG of the water being at max salinity for the region.  My pressure was based upon hydrometer recordings for inclines that I was involved with in Baltimore Harbor, and keeping it lighter.    

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#26]

My material thicknesses come from different classes of container ships that I have either managed the design for or managed the construction/repair of the program.  I am currently involved with a new construction LNG container vessel program.  

The hull thickness that I provided above is towards the upper side of the thickness.  Minimal, you may be looking at 17mm to 19mm (AH), but that is on the light side.

The pressure you provided above is based upon the SG of the water being at max salinity for the region.  My pressure was based upon hydrometer recordings for inclines that I was involved with in Baltimore Harbor, and keeping it lighter.    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:

Not quite a capn Rob moment, but it'll do in a pinch.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Shocking NAVY Sonar Images Baltimore Bridge Collapse
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Eye Witness Speaks of Dali Power Issues BEFORE Crash

Eye Witness Speaks of Dali Power Issues BEFORE Crash | SY News Ep315
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Governor update on Key Bridge collapse

LIVE: Governor provides updates on Key Bridge collapse - wbaltv.com

Crews opened a second temporary channel on Tuesday allowing a limited amount of marine traffic to bypass the wreckage of Baltimore's collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge, which had blocked the vital port's main shipping channel since its destruction one week ago. Work is ongoing to open a third channel that will allow larger vessels to pass through the bottleneck, officials announced at a news conference Tuesday afternoon. The channels are primarily open primarily to vessels that are helping with the cleanup effort, along with some barges and tugs that have been stuck in the Port of Baltimore. A tugboat pushing a fuel barge was the first vessel to use an alternate channel late Monday. It was supplying jet fuel to Delaware's Dover Air Force Base.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Is it just me, or was that bridge a real asshole design?

It was a like truss bridge and a suspension bridge had too much to drink one night.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#31]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onFRn0wCg0A
View Quote

You got a video without a clickbait title?

I'd kinda like to see the sonar without the 'shocking' clickbait title. I despise people who make videos like that and refuse to click them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Terry Turbin helped construct the Key Bridge and now reflects after collapse

Terry Turbin helped construct the Key Bridge and now reflects after collapse

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Governor update on Key Bridge collapse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcsosR64zFE

Crews opened a second temporary channel on Tuesday allowing a limited amount of marine traffic to bypass the wreckage of Baltimore's collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge, which had blocked the vital port's main shipping channel since its destruction one week ago. Work is ongoing to open a third channel that will allow larger vessels to pass through the bottleneck, officials announced at a news conference Tuesday afternoon. The channels are primarily open primarily to vessels that are helping with the cleanup effort, along with some barges and tugs that have been stuck in the Port of Baltimore. A tugboat pushing a fuel barge was the first vessel to use an alternate channel late Monday. It was supplying jet fuel to Delaware's Dover Air Force Base.
View Quote

Governor "Empty Suit" doing what he does best, grandstanding on TV.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

One of my guys was sending me pics today.  It was a little rough out there today, too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#35]

@TurkeyLeg

Great pic.  What does your man do?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

@mrhiggs, @capnrob,

You have a new member to your club it seems.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:55:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TurkeyLeg] [#37]

@TurkeyLeg

Great pic.  What does your man do?
View Quote
We are a pretty diversified outfit that provides service to the power generation world, marine propulsion, heavy industrial, etc...   We also serve as a third party for inspection and failure analysis, most typically for marine diesel and diesel power gen.  

Unfortunately, I cant comment on why my guys were there for several reasons.   We have customers on all sides of this.   Our guys have literally been on every boat in that harbor right now EXCEPT the Dali.  

It doesnt matter much anyway -- as of right now, there isnt anything worthwhile to report that everyone in the marine industry doesnt already know.    I can say this -- the middle of last week it was made very clear to all the marine construction and salvage outfits from Norfolk to Jersey that if cranes and salvage equipment could be provided quickly, they would be paid to be onsite, even if they werent ready for them yet.    

Seaward out of Norfolk and DonJon up in Jersey beat feet up there last week and are standing by.   Crofton sent a crane and the floaters like Dann Marine might be hanging out to get something as well.  

The companies that do alot of ship docking (Moran, McAllister, etc..) are probably licking their eyebrows right now.   Ive already heard rumblings from other municipalities about additional tug assist requirements in the future.  

Edit to add:  Additional tug assists for places that have bridges, I mean.  Not really as big a deal for Norfolk due to the CBBT, MMBT and HRBT but there are a few smaller ports that will end up with a huge tug presence before the decade is out.      
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:04:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TurkeyLeg] [#38]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Not the greatest pictures, but I figured maybe the structural engineer types might like to see them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:10:44 AM EDT
[#39]
What it's like up close to the Baltimore bridge wreckage
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:25:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#41]
Is it just me, or was that bridge a real asshole design?

It was a like truss bridge and a suspension bridge had too much to drink one night.
View Quote
Gee, who was in charge?

In 1973, Agnew was investigated by the United States Attorney for the District of Maryland on suspicion of criminal conspiracy, bribery, extortion, and tax fraud. Agnew took kickbacks from contractors during his time as Baltimore county executive and governor of Maryland. The payments had continued into his time as vice president.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#42]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvlA4cdfx8I
View Quote

50,000 ton reporter next to 100,000 ton ship.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#43]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvlA4cdfx8I
View Quote

So Jan Arden is a CBC reporter now ?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6755/IMG_8759-3177648.jpg

Who knew it was THAT EASY?!
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6755/IMG_8759-3177648.jpg

Who knew it was THAT EASY?!
View Quote

Lol wat
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By barrysuperhawk:

Wow, the youtube account terminated?  What was in that video???
View Quote

I believe it was a video of the Ukrainian attack on the Kerch bridge, going off memory.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#50]
What would the cost savings be had the SOP for transitioning from the harbor to the open water include keeping the 2 harbor tugs engaged with the ship until it cleared the bridge?
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top