Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:33:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PaladinM1911] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wc22312:
Yall really need to start watching The Why Files

https://www.youtube.com/@TheWhyFiles

he presents the story very well, gives his rebuttal at the end

View Quote

AJ and Hecklefish are great, I notice they use an AI voice of Art Bell in some of their segments.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
I can't stand that fucking fish.. otherwise the show is OK
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:46:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lou_Daks] [#4]
Originally Posted By Dangus:
Coast to Coast died with Art Bell.
View Quote

I disagree, but I get your point.  For those who placed a very high value on Art, it felt like it died.  For those who placed a higher value on the stories it continued on, albeit differently.  Noory is no Art, but he was good in many shows I heard, esp. in the earlier years.  He has lost a step lately.  Part of the problem is C2C has to put on a 3 hour show every night.  That's hard to fill with new stuff, so they reach down into the barrel pretty far.  Note also the show:commercial ratio.  Sometimes it seems like a commercial interrupted occasionally by the show.

I am concerned about the show's future.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Jessie Ventura
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:20:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

I disagree, but I get your point.  For those who placed a very high value on Art, it felt like it died.  For those who placed a higher value on the stories it continued on, albeit differently.  Noory is no Art, but he was good in many shows I heard, esp. in the earlier years.  He has lost a step lately.  Part of the problem is C2C has to put on a 3 hour show every night.  That's hard to fill with new stuff, so they reach down into the barrel pretty far.  Note also the show:commercial ratio.  Sometimes it seems like a commercial interrupted occasionally by the show.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

The commercial ratio stinks. That's part of the reason I bought a subscription. When you do so, you don't hear the commercials. Also, a person can download episodes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:22:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe they can find someone who is unknown, but has the education and broadcast skills, who can evolve into the next Art Bell.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I still listen to classic Art C2C at night on occasion.  He was the GOAT, but let's not pretend he didn't churn out some mediocre episodes over the years either.

However the ratio of great to mediocre was still pretty good, and there's no comparison to Noory -- particularly the last few years.  The comments about vitamins are spot on.

Not really sure who should take over C2C these days, but it does need to be refreshed.   Or maybe it just needs to die.  It's probably not possible to recreate the glory that was C2C before the world became so interconnected.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By linuxgnar:
I still listen to classic Art C2C at night on occasion.  He was the GOAT, but let's not pretend he didn't churn out some mediocre episodes over the years either.

However the ratio of great to mediocre was still pretty good, and there's no comparison to Noory -- particularly the last few years.  The comments about vitamins are spot on.

Not really sure who should take over C2C these days, but it does need to be refreshed.   Or maybe it just needs to die.  It's probably not possible to recreate the glory that was C2C before the world became so interconnected.
View Quote

Of course he did, but the main problem I have is with the presenters, not the content.  Art was a humorous skeptic, bringing the listener along for the ride with a subtle wink and a nod to the true crazies, and asking real questions. Noory either interviews in a way that reveals the interaction is entirely scripted, or sound so disinterested that the listener can't help but wonder why they're listening either. We went from "WANNA TAKE A RIDE??" to snoozing in the back seat of a Greyhound bus.

The guest hosts get to choose their material, and Knapp/Syrett always have interesting shows. The rest of them are thinly-disguised ads or the same recurring carousel of 'show friends' that bring nothing new or interesting to the table. I also disagree with your point about the interconnection of the world being an issue, if anything it brings tons more content to the table for possible exposure. But Noory (or his network overlords) would rather have that quack doctor or his "pharmacist" minion on 20% of the time

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By peacematu:
I would say John B. Wells should take over if he didn't already have his Caravan to Midnight.
View Quote

C2C fired him for his political views.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DocApocalypse:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271112/jeopardy_things_that_aint_gonna_happen_j-3172731.JPG
View Quote

Marrying a South African woman and going 110% racist will do that for ya
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MMcCall:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MMcCall:
Originally Posted By DocApocalypse:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271112/jeopardy_things_that_aint_gonna_happen_j-3172731.JPG

John B. Wells is basically an anti-Zionist too.  I used to listen to his Caravan to Midnight show until some of his comments after the October 7 attacks led me to believe he's more or less anti-Israel.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By linuxgnar:

View Quote

The part I bolded above about C2C before the world became interconnected, is that because controversial info will get out more easily these days?

@linuxgnar

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I read the primary reason John B. Wells got the boot was due to him out doing George Noory.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By peacematu:
I read the primary reason John B. Wells got the boot was due to him out doing George Noory.
View Quote

If you mean ratings-wise, I have no problem believing that. I listened to JBW over Noory exclusively until he went off the rails.  Covid also really fucked with his sense of reality.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I really hope Richard Syrett. Takes it, I always like Conspiracy Unlimited.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Yep, Art kept me company through overnight shifts while on patrol east of the Rockies. During winter when there were not as many hot or violent calls to respond to I could listen a bit closer. Many entertaining evenings. Especially the cryptid and UFO stuff. Noory had some good stuff but he was no Art Bell. He had some pretty good ghost story shows with the guest "Lionel", whose last name escapes me. Would love to go back to those times.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:
Mock me all you want, but I started listening to
C2C when George Noory was hosting, just like when
Roger Moore took over for Sean Connery.
View Quote

Connery was Alpha Male Bond.  Roger Moore was the first Ghey Bond  ….. and the character went down hill thereafter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

AJ would be absolutely incredible in that role.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes

I'm with you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Aet Bell to the scifi radio world was the Rush Limbaugh of conservatism.

Irreplaceable.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Working shift work, my nights would be coast to coast. Art was great. Noory OK for a few years, several guest hosts were OK.

John B Wells blew it out of the park when he was on. Great guests and topics, very little bigfoot/UFO nonsense. Lot's of economics and world issues and guests. His ratings for his one or two nights were beating out Noory's combined ratings for the week.

Wells had to go.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By USA1st:
Jessie Ventura
View Quote

That could work
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#25]
mad man marcum
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By fosters:
George Knapp is the only worthy replacement imho…
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:13:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gojoe] [#27]
I think it would be a good move for Don Lemmon or Rachel Madow.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By gojoe:
I think it would be a good move for Don Lemmon or Rachel Madow.
View Quote

You trying to kill me on night shift? I don't listen much, but tune in occasionally depending on the subject matter.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:51:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Any other candidates?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top