Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:04:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SixpackinOk] [#1]
I have the Perry Stone Bibles. They are two separate books, Old Testament and New Testament. He has in-depth articles at the end of each book, and I like the way it is done. I think they are $160.00 for the Old Testament, $95.00 for the New Testament, or $225.00 for both. They have more expensive options also. Website is Perry Stone dot org. ETA: They are the King James version.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered a Thompson chain reference while I wait for the Schuyler I want to come in stock…in August.

The current choice.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
So just an update. The Schuyler bibles I am interested in won’t be in until August. Pre-order in late June.
View Quote

Which ones?

I have this one in my cart.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to through the Bible network and get a KJV with Vernon McGees notes in it. Very good. They also have a daily through the Bible broadcast. Good book.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking this too. Some translations are way different in the King James I’m beginning to learn
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Gutenberg makes/made some nice ones, they mat be out of print now and thus a bit higher priced.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Just a thought, but one of my best friends has like 4 or 5 Bibles.

He feels he gets the most out of it by comparing the translations and seeing different ways a verse is written.

I don't do that, but he really likes it and there definitely are some verses that are different. Anyways best of luck to you brother.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:45:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Number_Six] [#9]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:What-brand-of-bible-Looking-for-a-nice-one
View Quote

Here is your dilemma:
Are you looking for a fancy bible to put on a shelf, or do you actually follow the stuff in the bible?
If you actually follow the stuff in the bible, then you cannot support Trump.

Trump claims people say he is the second coming, and he is the "chosen one".
The kingjamesbible...
"Ten Commandments
1 And God spake all these words, saying,

2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me."
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
Those Schuyler Bibles look awfully nice. Had no idea they existed, until this thread.

View Quote

The do look perty, it's a shame they're missing so many books.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I just ordered a Thompson chain reference while I wait for the Schuyler I want to come in stock…in August.

The current choice.
View Quote

I got a Thompson chain reference for my 8th bday in the 1970s.  It’s been my daily for 40+ yrs and rebound twice.  

KJV is the 1911 of translations.  
Thompson chain reference is the Knights Armament of publishers.  

New American Standard is the 9mm and almost anything else is woke 5.7mm BS

If you’ve got a newer edition make sure they didn’t water down the anti-sodomy passages etc

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Number_Six:

If you actually follow the stuff in the bible, then you cannot support Trump.

Trump claims people say he is the second coming, and he is the "chosen one".
View Quote

GTFO, Satan
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#13]
What brand (?) of bible does your pastor, deacon, or priest use during service?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

View Quote

It's been said in this thread they have all the books AND psalms. I emailed them asking as much, and waiting to hear back before i order.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Johnny666:
What brand (?) of bible does your pastor, deacon, or priest use during service?
View Quote

Just responding to this. I don’t have a pastor as I am not a Christian.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

I genuinely would like one with the Apochrypha included but I will just have to have a different one for that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#18]
This is the one that has become my favorite of all the bibles I have owned and do own.

The NASB is a great translation, the 1995 edition is the most accurate from what I understand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0310459664?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I have this :  https://www.thekjvstore.com/1560-geneva-bible-first-edition-facsimile/

They have some other nice kjv
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Can't go wrong with a nice Cambridge.  

They print them in various translations, good leather, good paper, and you can get them with the deuterocanonical books.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:23:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#21]

I genuinely would like one with the Apochrypha included but I will just have to have a different one for that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Mu next door neighbors on one side are Ethiopian orthodox. I really want to ask them if they have an english print of their whole canon. Would love to peruse some of those extra books they have.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Hendrickson or Thomas Nelson
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I want an illustrated bible. Never owned one before.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By J-Dam:

I've got news for you, my friend. We are all deeply flawed. Those lucky enough to be accepted will be few and far between.
View Quote

That was my point.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Whichever one you’ll read.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TXAG96] [#26]
RL Allan 53 or 63

Stunning goatskin.

You said you wanted a nice one, so you should also consider how opaque the paper is (it's opacity), to avoid having the text on the backside of the page from bleeding through while reading the other side.

Both of the above are printed on 36gsm and 40gsm paper, respectively.

Only RL Allan has the rights to print the Authorized version Oxford University text block.

These are about as best as you can get for a nice KJV.  

I will say, though, I do have my eye on the Schuyler Canterbury KJV, but that's because I already have an RL Allan.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Suggestions for the 1599 Geneva Bible?

Acid free paper & sewn construction is a must.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:14:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Which ones?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
So just an update. The Schuyler bibles I am interested in won’t be in until August. Pre-order in late June.

Which ones?

Nice, I'm thinking of one as well.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I got the Thompson Chain Reference in today. It smelled so good opening the box, like a new pair of leather shoes. The Bible is pretty big to be honest. Its leather is fantastic and extremely soft and flexible. The font is easily readable even for my almost 48 year old eyes.

But… I accidentally ordered NKJV instead of KJV so back it went and I ordered the other today. Bummer as this one was a fair amount cheaper. Oh’well, at least I know what I am getting.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Take 2

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It’s a big bible, but will work until the Schuyler is in stock.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Tag for interest.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I obviously didn't know the Bishop who got stabbed since he's a million miles away from me.

But he's got a bunch of good clips, of which I've seen a few. It should be tough being a Christian. You know from day one, a dude set the standard and you're never ever going to live up to it. But with that realization comes freedom. Not freedom to do whatever you want, but the freedom that everyone screws up just like you.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5sSPjvL2a_/?igsh=MWx0NWp5NGVnZzRtbw==
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I always liked Members Mark stuff from Sam's Club.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By VidaEterna:
Whichever one you'll read.
View Quote
This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I didn't see anyone mention the Holman KJV Bible.

Mine has the cross references in the middle between each column of verses, and then has study applications on the bottom.  

This thread has got me Bible shopping when I have plenty already!

The Holman is decently priced and has several options,  I think mine also has red lettering.

I have decided to buy a new Bible for fun due to this thread,  but interested if anyone has an opinion on Holman or why it was not mentioned?

It has many of the features and is priced a bit less than the Cambridge and a few others.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Price isn't an issue. I am just looking for a very high quality brand. Brown leather bound. King James, not that it matters as I suspect the printer will make different versions.

I keep running across "thin line" but I am really not sure that is the brand.
View Quote
Schofield

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:
The old Masonic ones with all of the art and maps and stuff are very cool . Like something out of an Indiana Jones movie. The ones with large print and Jesus speaking highlighted in red are nice . Good luck . Edit - Hertel masonic cyclopedic indexed. The ones from a few decades ago are what I was referring to .
View Quote

Are there other versions that contain the art and the maps?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:27:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By sierra-def:

Are there other versions that contain the art and the maps?
View Quote

I honestly dont know . I would think yes . The ones from the 40’s and 50’s are pretty awesome .
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:43:40 AM EDT
[#39]
The Art Of The Bible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By flippflopped:
A KJV Bible is a KJV Bible. It's not how it looks that matters.
View Quote
the cover on my bible has gone to crap and falls off when I touch it now. looks like I drug it through D-day. I'd like a nicer bible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:33:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By tveddy:
Archeological study bible if you actually want any context for what the passages mean. If you just want to blindly follow get a JKV
View Quote

@canoeguy

This is what I have. It is great.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
the cover on my bible has gone to crap and falls off when I touch it now. looks like I drug it through D-day. I'd like a nicer bible.
View Quote

I saw a few services for rebinding.  Sounds like it could be a good candidate for it.

I wanted another translation since I’ve been using NIV for the past decade.  I’ve certainly been on a seeking journey to be able to substantiate my beliefs and as a result my faith is deepening.

this tread also introduced many new bibles I was unaware of.  I chose a new CSB by Cambridge.  I stayed with versus by versus in two column, with reference in the middle, which for me I hope brings my attention to supporting books.  I also stayed with Red Letter.

I’ll post up a review when it comes in.  

I also purchased a Holman illustrated bible in CSB to share with my family and be able look deeper in to the time period of Jesus.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#43]
So I just sprung for a much more portable Bible than the Thompson, which is very nice but also very big.

I went with the Schuyler Personal Size Canterbury in the Desert Camel color. It will likely be next week before it arrives.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I think my bible search is at an end for now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Needless to say the quality is superb which I think you would expect for the price. I have to say I prefer the goat skin on my Thompson Chain Premium. But this calf skin is full yapp and the size is far, far more manageable. I also really dig the Jerusalem cross on the front.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#45]
That's really nice.

What you have ahead of you is a lot. Some guys will say only by the exact words, others will say your everyday life will correspond with the word. Either way, it's a cool journey. I'm happy you're on it, and my best advice is to ask the hardest questions you have.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Honestly ..hit up your local used book store and find one that has great paper and letter block.
You want quality paper and print.
China printing just doesn't work for me...almost harsh to even look at.

Vintage Holman or World Bibles are great...Ebay has tons of them.

Or send me your address and ill suprise you with a free one .
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By T1NMAN:
Honestly ..hit up your local used book store and find one that has great paper and letter block.
You want quality paper and print.
China printing just doesn't work for me...almost harsh to even look at.

Vintage Holman or World Bibles are great...Ebay has tons of them.

Or send me your address and ill suprise you with a free one .
View Quote

Very kind of you. However I am extremely happy with both of my choices. The paper and print on these are great and though the Schuyler is thinner it is very opaque and the lines are matched front and back so there is no bleed through.

I am lucky to be able to afford some luxuries in life though I deeply appreciate your generosity and thoughtfulness.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:06:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: T1NMAN] [#48]

Very kind of you. However I am extremely happy with both of my choices. The paper and print on these are great and though the Schuyler is thinner it is very opaque and the lines are matched front and back so there is no bleed through.

I am lucky to be able to afford some luxuries in life though I deeply appreciate your generosity and thoughtfulness.
View Quote

I grew up KJV only and it is the translation that formed modern Civilization.
That said, don't be affraid to read a few other translations if KJV is a bit much.
They're out of print now but Im a fan of HCSB...very good translation for new readers of the Bible.

My list of must haves would look like this.
NKJV
KJV
ESV
HCSB
NASB 1977 or 95

Pretty much in that order.
Ive got a large stash of HCSB as I buy them to give away. They printed one of the most readable compacts ever made.
Hit me up for one.. no worries.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top