Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
my work gets containers brought in through the port in Philly.

I wonder how much of that Baltimore traffic is going to be able to rerouted to nearby ports and then cause delays for everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ZuoZongtang:
Cars are between $2.00 and $11.00 to go over the Francis Scott Key Bridge.   Trucks as much as $36 toll.   Now that revenue goes to zero.

The bridge was opened on March 23, 1977, named for amateur poet Francis Scott Key (1779–1843), the author of the lyrics to the American national anthem, "The Star-Spangled Banner". The Key Bridge was a toll facility operated by the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA). The bridge was the outermost of three toll crossings of Baltimore's Harbor, two tunnels and one bridge.

The bridge carried an estimated 11.5 million vehicles annually.

That's probably a $50-75 million dollar hit on revenue.  Minus what they recapture on increased pay on other tolls.  

Seems that when a DEM gets into office the tolls are raised.   Only to be lowered when a Republican gets into office.
View Quote

They will just toll the 695 beltway around the north side of Baltimore.  Pretty simple to put up a few open toll EZpass readers...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Taft:
OP, its worse than that. The trickle down effect will be exponentially enormous.

I got this from a friends facebook post, cut-n-paste here:

Some sobering impacts to consider. The bridge took 5 years to complete. This isn’t going to be replaced anytime soon. It might take 3-6 months just to clear debris and get the Port open again.

This is one of the highest volume container ports in North America.

It is the largest, in volume, handler of import/export vehicles in the United States.
It’s the largest handler of agricultural equipment in the United States.
It’s the largest handler of imported sugar in North America.
It’s the second largest coal handler in the US. It’s a major cruise ship point of embarkation, with half a million passengers leaving last year alone.
It’s a major Coast Guard port and repair facility. Oil is refined and fuel exported from industrial areas on the northeast and southeast shores of the Outer Harbor.
Ores and processed pigments are imported and processed and the region is a major producer of paints.

All of the infrastructure around the city is oriented towards serving the Port in one way or another. The number of workers affected by this is astronomical.

100% of this capacity is trapped behind the bridge debris.

The Key Bridge was the Hazmat route around the city. Now everything has to go west around the city. It’s going to be 3 years, minimum before this bridge is replaced. It might have to be replaced bank-to-bank.
View Quote

Bank to bank, and the approaches, and the highway leading up to it.  They had a plan to build a second span to increase capacity to 8 lanes. Now that's on overdrive.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By gtofan:
Send the bill to whoever couldn't fix the ship and sent it back out with known problems.
View Quote

I know nothing about container ships...but we're living in some crazy times.
Seems odd that it lost power at just the right time and just long enough to cause serious damage...and yet at the right time to minimize lives lost.

If Homeland can put down their DEI powerpoints long enough they should be digging into the whole situation.
Had it ever had power loss problems before?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Y'all are missing the important questions. How is the closure of the port going to affect Prop Joe and the rest of the co-op's ability to get product from the Greek? And, how are the next generation of stevedores in the Local 47 going to survive if they can't steal shit coming in through the port?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:
my work gets containers brought in through the port in Philly.

I wonder how much of that Baltimore traffic is going to be able to rerouted to nearby ports and then cause delays for everyone else.
View Quote
 Norfolk will be at full capacity for a while I presume.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe the dementia ridden douche aka Biden will promise to make the greater area whole with tax payers money.

Asshole tells the public that the feds will pay for the entire cost of the bridge. Where the hell does that authority come from?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]
They couldn't effectively manage that money anyway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#10]
How long ago did the bridge tolls pay off the bridge?  More proof once gubmint is handed a temporary power it most often becomes permanent.   It went from "A temporary toll to pay for the bridge to an extended toll period to cover upkeep and maintenance to lookit all the money we can spend on paying off our fellow travellers.

If no cars are passing over the bridge then no wear & tear is being exerted on the structure, no tollbooth and other administrative staff are needed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Never mind.  Biden just announced that the federal government is going to pay for the entire bridge.
View Quote

Is that from FBHO’s Shovel-Ready Magical Infrastructure Fund? Should have plenty of money in it since virtually none of it got spent on infrastructure.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#12]

That’s code for cutting the locals out of the skim.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:49:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cavedog] [#13]
OP, its worse than that. The trickle down effect will be exponentially enormous.

It’s the largest handler of imported sugar in North America.

The Key Bridge was the Hazmat route around the city. Now everything has to go west around the city. It’s going to be 3 years, minimum before this bridge is replaced. It might have to be replaced bank-to-bank.
View Quote

I just left Aldi.  The sugar pile was devastated.  I grabbed two four pound bags.  Enough for six months for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HRoark87:
I really hope Baltimore doesn't start to go downhill because of this.
View Quote

baltimore is a SHITHOLE
I travel all over for trade shows and baltiore was a toilet.
homeless everywhere. Crime. Drug use.
made atlanta look good.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
I just left Aldi.  The sugar pile was devastated.  I grabbed two four pound bags.  Enough for six months for me.
View Quote

Ditto, except it was Food Lion.  I haven't seen sugar that devastated since the c-thing that started four years ago.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#17]
It's the east coast, the federal government will pay all but a token amount.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AeroE:

That looks like opportunity to show leadership in action and show the US is the benchmark for the world.  (Written with a straight face. )

With any luck the Chinese steel will be minimal.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AeroE:

Some sobering impacts to consider. The bridge took 5 years to complete. This isn't going to be replaced anytime soon. It might take 3-6 months just to clear debris and get the Port open again.

This is one of the highest volume container ports in North America.

It is the largest, in volume, handler of import/export vehicles in the United States.
It's the largest handler of agricultural equipment in the United States.
It's the largest handler of imported sugar in North America.
It's the second largest coal handler in the US. It's a major cruise ship point of embarkation, with half a million passengers leaving last year alone.
It's a major Coast Guard port and repair facility. Oil is refined and fuel exported from industrial areas on the northeast and southeast shores of the Outer Harbor.
Ores and processed pigments are imported and processed and the region is a major producer of paints.

All of the infrastructure around the city is oriented towards serving the Port in one way or another. The number of workers affected by this is astronomical.

The Key Bridge was the Hazmat route around the city. Now everything has to go west around the city. It's going to be 3 years, minimum before this bridge is replaced. It might have to be replaced bank-to-bank.

That looks like opportunity to show leadership in action and show the US is the benchmark for the world.  (Written with a straight face. )

With any luck the Chinese steel will be minimal.

If the media had any independence the first question would be how much of the new bridge will be Chinese?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#20]
The toll money is collected by the state and goes into the state's transportation fund where it is raided for anything the Dems want to use it on.
Yes, some will go into Baltimore City.
The coal and Roll-On/Roll-Off are the biggest problems.
You just can't do the ro/ro efficiently(or at all) if the port isn't set up for it.  The coal can be done a little easier, but not by much.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:55:50 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Not true.

Sparrows Point is not blocked and that’s the major car port for VW and BMW.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:13:31 AM EDT
[#22]
The bridge stole almost $57 million of commuter money last year. I know I'm supposed to say it is revenue, but who knows where that money has been going all these years. Certainly not into infrastructure integrity.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:23:10 AM EDT
[#23]
They go back the last year, check records of vehicles that crossed the bridge and charge them again. See, it's easy
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Ooooh, MD and Baltimore get a good fucking on revenue?

At least there’s a little bit of a silver lining, lol.

Also, if they’re raking folks over the coals with tolls… Why the fuck didn’t they have the little buffer islands around the main pylons? It’s a bridge over the main route into a major port, that seems kindof important.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Fuck Baltimore.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Start to go downhill.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Toll roads are retarded. So is Baltimore.

Leave it to democrats to be butthurt about losing their ability to legally rob people and then get taxpayer funds to rebuild.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I would think if this port and river was this bizzy  any bridges would have massive protection from a stray ship
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Guz:
Fuck Baltimore.
View Quote
Get the debris cleared and get the port open.
They still have the Baltimore tunnel and the Hanover Street Bridge they can use.
Fuck Baltimore.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Robulur2022:
I would think if this port and river was this bizzy  any bridges would have massive protection from a stray ship
View Quote

You never pay the $100,,000,000 to protect the bridge because that won't garner near the votes $100,000,000 will buy with pork.

Buy votes is always the better return on investment for a politician than paying men to work because women are more populous and politically active than men & people love free stuff.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Have Bunny fire up Hamsterdam, start sling'n.  Watch out for Omar.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Cars are between $2.00 and $11.00 to go over the Francis Scott Key Bridge.   Trucks as much as $36 toll.   Now that revenue goes to zero.

The bridge was opened on March 23, 1977, named for amateur poet Francis Scott Key (1779–1843), the author of the lyrics to the American national anthem, "The Star-Spangled Banner". The Key Bridge was a toll facility operated by the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA). The bridge was the outermost of three toll crossings of Baltimore's Harbor, two tunnels and one bridge.

That's probably a $50-75 million dollar hit on revenue.  Minus what they recapture on increased pay on other tolls.  

Seems that when a DEM gets into office the tolls are raised.   Only to be lowered when a Republican gets into office.
View Quote

...and you wonder how they spent all that money.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
The only thing that will “fix” Baltimore is a Dresden-style fire bombing campaign.
View Quote

That’s at a minimum.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:11:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rheinmetall792] [#34]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

Is that from FBHO’s Shovel-Ready Magical Infrastructure Fund? Should have plenty of money in it since virtually none of it got spent on infrastructure.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AA717driver:
Never mind.  Biden just announced that the federal government is going to pay for the entire bridge.

This is a good thing, because now pedo joe and the twisted freaks in his cabinet own the rebuild.  I expect many DEI requirements for contractors and exactly zero progress until DJT gets elected.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Mach:

supposedly it is was the busiest port in the country
View Quote

No.... it wasn't .
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By burnka871:
Quick math at 11 million (cars for simplicity) at $4 per car is over $120k per day averaged out. Ouch.
View Quote

I need to buy a bridge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:48:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#38]

View Quote

interdasting
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By gmtech:

No.... it wasn't .
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gmtech:
Originally Posted By Mach:

supposedly it is was the busiest port in the country

No.... it wasn't .

Article I read said busiest port, but it was talking about auto imports, so I guess it is the busiest auto import port and i misunderstood.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Don’t worry Kamala is on the job!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Serenity7:
Don’t worry Kamala is on the job!https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69904/IMG_5752_jpeg-3171972.JPG
View Quote

Is she gonna suck the bridge out of the water?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Maybe they had loss of income insurance.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Don't underestimate Baltimore. The mayor is super duper smart and on this. The city will rebound and strive, a beacon for all of humanity.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By gtofan:
Send the bill to whoever couldn't fix the ship and sent it back out with known problems.
View Quote

China won't pay for anything, even though it was their own boat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Will they rename it fisting contest bridge?

Burn loot murder?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#48]
It's bigger than that. How much shit relocates and doesn't come back?

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#49]
So? Means nothing to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:47:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#50]
Originally Posted By Racer_X:

A much bigger deal is all the sugar that [used to, before this week] gets processed there.
That is going to affect the entire country.
I do hope that it somehow benefits the sugar beet farmers in the U.S., though.  That's the only good thing I can think of that can come from this.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Racer_X:
Baltimore is going to take a revenue hit

A much bigger deal is all the sugar that [used to, before this week] gets processed there.
That is going to affect the entire country.
I do hope that it somehow benefits the sugar beet farmers in the U.S., though.  That's the only good thing I can think of that can come from this.

Well, the new bridge to replace the Francis Scott Key Bridge can be named the James Weldon Johnson Bridge… so there’s that small silver lining, too.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top