User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#2]
A simple case of messing with someone's rice bowl
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#3]
One time our township wasn't doing it's job grading our dirt road.  I dropped a disk on it to smooth it out.  They didn't know who did it, but I certainly heard about it through the grapevine, luckily know one saw me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or the city workers are union and they complained about non union work being done.

There was a story from a decade or so ago about a trade show in NYC. All setup of the booths was to be done by union workers. The booths had been constructed, but the union electricians hadn't been through.
A booth worker plugged in an extension cord to test the booth lights. Overnight  the union workers trashed the booth because a non union person touched the electrical.
View Quote

I was doing some work at one of our marine facilities and was told that only a teamster was allowed to set up and move any of the facilities' ladders. So the next day I brought my own non-union ladder.

The looks I got from the dork in charge were priceless.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Haha I did that in Greenville SC and while they did not give me a C & D letter, they looked at me in a very disapproving manner. Oh well! Morons cannot do their job? I will bill them for my work. Stupid local governments are the worst.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Or the city workers are union and they complained about non union work being done.

There was a story from a decade or so ago about a trade show in NYC. All setup of the booths was to be done by union workers. The booths had been constructed, but the union electricians hadn't been through.
A booth worker plugged in an extension cord to test the booth lights. Overnight  the union workers trashed the booth because a non union person touched the electrical.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could this be a liability thing?

Residents do a bad repair, city gets in trouble?
Residents get hurt performing a repair, city gets in trouble?

When you get down to it, I expect that this is the real issue. Some city attorney made the call.

Unions in the northeast are famous for that kind of thing. I was IBEW in Boston so saw a lot of it firsthand.

Hooters in the North End was being built by non-union labor (it was a renovation of an old building). The unions kept threatening the owners about using non-union labor but they wouldn’t back down, so the union burnt it down. My father was Boston PD, they knew who did it, but didn’t have enough proof to prosecute (there are two IBEW locals in Boston, it was the other one, not mine). The owners got the message and the rebuild was done with union labor.

New Balance World HQ is in Boston. When they built their new HQ, the GC snuck in a non-union wiring contractor at night to pull wire. They got caught. The iron workers dropped a steel girder through the roof of one of their trucks.

Cider House Rules - MA was offering incentives to get Hollywood to film in MA, so Cider House Rules was filmed there. Hollywood sent trucks full of lighting equipment for the movie, but the local theater unions got mad they weren’t using their equipment so stole the trucks and assaulted the drivers. The equipment was never recovered. They also beat the shit out of some old lady operating a food truck because she wasn’t union. Hollywood said, “Thanks for the lobster, but we’re done here”. The governor and some of his cohorts flew out to California to try to smooth things over and bring the studios back to MA, but were basically told to go f#ck themselves. There’s been a couple of movies filmed in MA since then (i.e. The Town) but not a lot. Hollywood chose Georgia instead.

NYC has some really bizarre rules. I worked for Lucent installing commercial phone systems, voicemail, auto-dialers, IVRs, CMS (tracks call center statistics), paging systems, voice recording, etc. As the lead tech, I was responsible for everything but in NYC, they had a separate tech for each piece of equipment and nobody could touch the other tech’s equipment. So for example, if the integration between the phone system and voicemail went down, they’d have to send a PBX tech and a VM tech to troubleshoot, whereas in Boston I’d do it all myself. Not only could they not work on equipment they were all trained on, but weren’t allowed to plug anything in. There’d be a small army of techs installing a system with 3,000 phones hanging off it, but would have to put an entire system together and leave 30-40 power cords sitting on the floor and pay union electricians to plug them all in. Idiotic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#7]
This country is fucking finished, culturally.

Two crabs try to climb out of the bucket, and the fucking government pushes them back in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#8]

One tactic that seems to work is planting trees in potholes. These pics are from TX, CA, and I think FL. The last one they actually filled them with pot plants.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This ^^

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
People from a shitty area try to improve their shitty area... government stops them.

Imagine my surprise.
View Quote

You have perfectly described the policy of most city, county, and state governments.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#15]
That couple should comply with the city's order.  Register the truck to some kind of trust, and every time the city tells someone to comply, they will do so, and pass the truck and equipment on to the next group of people who will fill potholes...and they pass the stuff on to the next group after the city tells them to stop...sort of like whack a mole with pot hole filling citizens.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#16]
That was happening here. Socal Mountains. Not only were locals pouring gravel and concrete in the pot holes, they were re striping the lines on the highways. It kicked Cal Trans and the county into high gear.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One time our township wasn't doing it's job grading our dirt road.  I dropped a disk on it to smooth it out.  They didn't know who did it, but I certainly heard about it through the grapevine, luckily know one saw me.
View Quote
I've been tempted to do the same on the county road I live on, they wait until the washboards get so bad you have to creep along at less than 5 mph or risk damaging your vehicle before they'll send the blade out. The only thing stopping me is I know there would be repercussions and I'm fortunate to only have to travel about 1/2 mile before I hit pavement.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A while back in Seattle someone painted a crosswalk at a place that is dangerous as the chance of a pedestrian getting hit is high. Residents had been asking for a LONG time to get a crosswalk painted there. Never was done so someone painted one.

Well wouldn't you know it, the city found the money and crews to get out there to scrub that surface and remove the unauthorized crosswalk.
View Quote

Reminds me of the guy that went around town spraypainting dicks around all the potholes. The city figured it was cheaper to just fill the pothole than remove the spray paint, so they ended up fixing all the potholes.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
LOL - is that last one MJ?  
View Quote
I mean, it is a Pot Hole after all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is exactly it.  I manage our county's engineering and maintenance division (roads and bridges).  We require encroachment permits for any work within our right-of-way so that we can keep track of what work is done where.  We actually do a fine job fixing pot holes in a timely manner, but if someone were to patch a pot hole, and we were unaware of it, and they do a poor job, the patch settles, and someone hits it and damages their car, we may be held liable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Filing that one away for later (not the pot).
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Reminds me of SEIU union filing a greivance and threatening a 17 year old scout in PA for his volunteer Eagle scout project.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top