Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Zip line
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I got ahold of one of those years ago.  I cut it into 3 lengths and permanently chained them to trees that I liked to hunt from.  They made the most secure ladders ever and worked well with my hang-on stands.  As the trees grew over the years, I'd just let a little more chain out so the trees wouldn't grow around them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:10:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#3]
That's a UHF antenna on a rotator so the person was picking up stations above channel 13 from two different cities apparently not too far away.

HD signals over-the-air have several times the bandwidth of DVDs, Blu-ray, or streaming and look wonderful and tend to not drop-out when the Internet fails.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:13:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jos51700] [#4]
Cut the top tier off, assemble 20-foot long 'rocket' and place inside remaining structure. Declare property lines a DMZ and assert your independence from paying taxes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]
5 Watts and a carrier signal, learn morse code and you can talk to the world.  AND space!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

That might come in handy for moving in heavy object.  Going up a ramp sure beats trying to go up steps.
View Quote

OP, you might be able to get rent from midcap and his ladies
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Run a rabbitears.info query to see what TV is available
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ace-of-Based:
I doubt someone puts up actual tower sections with a rotator to pick up TV stations.   wrong

It's a yagi antenna and more likely a ham operator using it for radio to hit distant repeaters. The wheelchair ramp is a good indicator...   wrong

If you want it gone you could easily get a few hundred bucks for it and someone will come take it down for you. right

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DaddyShark:
Just wondering if I could use this thing to get free hd channels. It's huge and really tall. It's in pretty good condition but the wire is severed and a new one would have to be ran. But I don't even know what kind of wire I would need to run and how I would even get up there. I have a ladder but nothing that big.

https://i.ibb.co/FDZ610B/PXL-20240312-195445492.jpg
View Quote

It has some possibilities for sure..

1. You could definitely put an HD (On Air Broadcast) antenna on it and depending on the area you could get 50+ HD channels.
You'd need a fresh run of CoAx.  RG 6 or RG11 if you are going over 50' to reduce signal loss.

2. You could also mount a 2m Antenna and get into Ham/Amateur Radio, even an HF antenna. Again, Coax wire.

3. You could mount 1 or more PTZ/Zoom POE cams like the Reolink 823a 16x. You'll need outdoor rated ethernet cable.

I have a similar tower, though not that tall at my place.  I use mine for a Fixed Wireless Subscriber unit (for my internet) and I plan on adding a 2m Vertical antenna to it for my Amateur radio station.  I'll probably do something different for my HF stuff... Without it, I could not get the service I have as I'd not be able to get my Subscriber unit up high enough.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ryu:
If it were me, I'd run a new wire to it, get all these local OTA stations, and then never watch them.

Probably end up scrapping it when I got bored one weekend.
View Quote

If you are in or near a city, normal indoor HD antennas will get your local channels.  If you are far away from the city or multiple cities, the indoor antennas may or may not work, and a large antenna like this would increase the range to grab stations from the closest city.  There are websites that show what channels you should be able to get at your location, where they are broadcast from, etc.

Having said all of that, with home internet streaming and phone hotspot as a backup, if you are doing any sort of smart tv / streaming apps you may never use the thing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Depending on what you have available for high speed internet I'd put my starlink up there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I see a good practical application of det cord in your future
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#13]
We got our local tree guy with a boom truck out on a slow morning to take out three. Mine and two neighbors. Took about 30 minutes each for $300 total. They sold theirs on FB for $150 each in days. I gave mine to a friend that does my A/C work.

HAM radio guys snag them up fast.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#14]
We got our local tree guy with a boom truck out on a slow morning to take out three. Mine and two neighbors. Took about 30 minutes each for $300 total. They sold theirs on FB for $150 each in days. I gave mine to a friend that does my A/C work.

HAM radio guys snag them up fast.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By trails-end:

The tower looks good.  The house is leaning.
View Quote

I laughed. Thanks for that.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Perfect for HAM, PTZ cameras, Lora, WiFi AP, etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:51:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: trlrdrdave] [#17]
There is no such thing as an "HD" antenna. Period. End of rant. Just my pet peeve. Carry on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ace-of-Based:
I doubt someone puts up actual tower sections with a rotator to pick up TV stations.

It's a yagi antenna and more likely a ham operator using it for radio to hit distant repeaters. The wheelchair ramp is a good indicator...

If you want it gone you could easily get a few hundred bucks for it and someone will come take it down for you.

View Quote

Believe it or not they still do. Plenty of small towers around here with active antennas, and a bunch of others just being wasted.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By andersw:
Look at LoRa and Meshtastic on youtube. You can setup your own messaging grid. I would put a node at the top and then a few nodes at your buddies homes and now you have a SHTF encrypted communication network.
View Quote

That is a very smart idea...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Short wave?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#21]
If you want some details, post a pic in one of those ham radio groups.  Those nerd love to show off their tech knowledge and identify it as an "Alakazam model BJ87 made in 1984".

If you decide to get rid of it, just sell it online, as-is.  Some geek will come out, hand you some cash, take it down, and haul it off.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:26:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnowMule] [#22]
"really tall", lmao
I've climbed 400+ft towers and even those aren't what i'd consider "really tall".  

If you do climb it - LOOK CLOSELY AT ALL OF THE WELDS.
Those "ladder"-type towers tend to bust welds as the wind twists and torques on the tower.  They're not very strong and can get to the point where they're unsafe to climb pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:58:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohiogators] [#23]
I have a 50’ tower. I have the following on it.

2m/70cm 16’ antenna at the top.

Next comes an end fed half wave for 10-80m hf. Other end of this antenna is attached to a tree about 150ft away.

Next is 2 yagis looking at the nearest cell phone tower about 7 miles away. One feeds a booster (no signal without it on the ground) and one feeds an lte modem I used before I got starlink.

Next is a 700-900mhz receive only antenna on a standoff. Use for scanner listening. Can receive 4 Ohio counties and 2 Indiana counties.

Last is a wireless bridge to send internet to the barns and poe camera.

I need to get a weather station for it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Mines bigger

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

If it's in good shape and anchored well it would be climbable... but those without experience should probably leave that to folks with a safety harness and the knowledge of how to evaluate whether it's safe to climb.
View Quote

Yeah... We went to take down an old Rohn tower in someone's backyard(bought the property from a ham, and another ham was picking it up to put on their own property). They hired a crane to help. Get there and are getting ready to climb, realize the guy "wires" are old rotted rope... And the tower is very wobbly. Ended up hooking the crane up, unbolting the bottom, and laying it over gently and disassembling on the ground.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:56:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#27]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Got a 30' one here.  Has a scanner antenna and the wireless anemometer and wind direction portion of my Davis weather station.  Want to build an ADSB setup to put up there but have to look in to what I need.

Have one of these in the attic for for OTA TV.

Forgot about HAM forum, I need to go ask something.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#29]
If you don't have hardwired internet Starlink internet mount?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Keep adding to that OP, sky's the limit....

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Any serious Ham radio operator would snag that tower in a heartbeat!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I have one near my house too.  I use it to climb onto the roof lol.

The lora and meshtastic idea is a good one. Unfortunately for me I'm in a valley where it's only really good for a ham radio tower and permanent roof ladder.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks like the antenna has a motorized aiming, you would need to find the make and model, and you might be able to find the control for it on someplace like eBay and use if for over the air HD broadcasts.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mancow:
Get your ham license and put it to work. I wish mine had  one when I bought it.
View Quote
This
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top