Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:23:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Earl_Basset] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FALex:
That's extremely awesome, OP!  I've been a big game hunter for years. I grew up shooting all types of birds on my grandparents' farm. They had almost 300 acres of alfalfa and grapes. Those birds loved those grapes, but grandpa didn't love those birds.

We would go to the local hardware store and grandpa bought hundreds of .410 and 20g shells for my brother and I. We would drive his pickup all around the farm, killing anything that had wings on it. I think it was because of that history that neither my brother or I have found any kind of bird hunting appealing as we have gotten older.

With that being said, my bride expressed a desire to turkey hunt. We just bought her a 20 gauge last weekend. She's a smaller chic, so she got a youth model, which will also work for my son.

Youth get to try their hand at getting a turkey this next weekend before the general season opens up for everyone, so we're gonna take him and this 20g for a walk.

I have heard from very experienced turkey hunters that turkey killing is actually pretty difficult because their vision is so damn good. I don't know shit about hunting turkeys, but I figure we find a decent spot to break our silhouettes up, throw a decoy out, make some calls, and see what develops.

Any tips from you dudes would be greatly appreciated!
View Quote

When the bird is coming, don't overcall, make them softer. Once he is visible, don't make a peep if he is slowly working to your decoys.  In their world, the hens come to them, so if you keep calling, he'll hang up and strut around all day expecting a hen to come up to him. If he starts walking off, start softly calling again, he may come back.

As far as vision, you better be ready, I spooked one off because he saw my finger flip the safety off.

It's so hard to give turkey advice because the same turkey will literally act night and day different on a day to day basis. You basically have to think that you are a hen playing hard to get.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Funky chicken vs a realistic hen decoy?

Really would rather not carry both. I’m mostly a run and gun type hunter. Not trying to kill the biggest Tom in the woods, just a legal turkey.

I was looking at a Dave smith decoy hen but that funky chicken has my curiosity.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
May 1, soon......

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Took my daughter down memory lane the other night.

Better times:

Outdoors with T. K. and Mike - 03
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice birds everyone  ! Our season doesn't start until the 22nd . .can't wait  
Good luck everyone
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
Funky chicken vs a realistic hen decoy?

Really would rather not carry both. I’m mostly a run and gun type hunter. Not trying to kill the biggest Tom in the woods, just a legal turkey.

I was looking at a Dave smith decoy hen but that funky chicken has my curiosity.
View Quote

If only 1, hen, all day everyday.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rock71:

Part of the enjoyment is taking new hunters. Good luck!

There’s a ton of information out there. Don’t get too bogged down. Simple yelps and clucks can get it done. You do need to be well hidden, or very still.

“The best way to learn is to make stupid mistakes, in front of live turkeys, and have them point it out to you.” -Tom Kelly

View Quote

You, sir, could not have given me any better advice. Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
One tip for the birds that want to hang up at 100 yds. or so.
We were hunting a WMA, been a few years ago had multiple birds come in from long range and hang up. Told my buddy, lets try something. We are running ourselves ragged with no results. You set up where you want (we were already hearing birds that morning,( so we knew about how they would try to come in to the call), and I will set up behind you about 100 yds. You stay quiet and I will do the calling. Worked like a charm, put one right in his lap, so to speak. Even better, after the shot, everything got quiet and I heard one coming through the bushes(getting away from where my buddy had shot) and I scored as well. It was a great end to the season as this was the last day.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

Better times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2le2TzBpJM
View Quote

Bahaha! That’s exactly how I did it today.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:55:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tuppergun] [#12]

I badly want to go to NE or SD and kill a Merriam's with my daughter - ideally on public land, though I'm open to paying for private. In fall of 2022 we stayed in a place in SD that bordered public and we saw birds everywhere and I genuinely think I could go back and kill one, but I'm not mentally ready.

I started turkey hunting very late in life - killed a couple as a teen then ignored it for 25 years - and I'm behind the ball on the learning curve. Took two weeks of cat and mouse to get a really big bird in 2020 after I saw him hanging around the house almost daily- and I shot another opening day of 2021 as a group of three walked past me. In 2022 I called one in (or, called his hen in and he followed) for my daughter. Got on a bird last year but he outsmarted us.

The learning curve is steep. I've listened to dozens of podcasts and watched a bunch of movies (including the old TK and Mike clips with my daughter!) and learned everything I can about turkeys and our little farm is very nearly ideal turkey habitat and I know where multiple birds live on the nearby public lands. I can call decently well on mouth calls, a slate, and a box call. I can also shut up and sit still, which seems the more important skill.

But there's still a long way between me and certain success. I want to get a bit further down that road before we put the time and money into a Merriam's trip.

@tuppergun do you go public or private?

How do you plan your trips so as to avoid being snowed in?
View Quote
We hunt a 60 acre piece of private river bottom. I hunt as far south as I can get, Trinidad on the NM border. Never had it snow on us yet but it could happen. This is out the dining room door last week. It should be fun! @arowneragain

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tuppergun:
We hunt a 60 acre piece of private river bottom. I hunt as far south as I can get, Trinidad on the NM border. Never had it snow on us yet but it could happen. This is out the dining room door last week. It should be fun! @arowneragain

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4000/IMG_20240405_195137_jpg-3179411.JPG
View Quote

I like those odds!
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:17:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: norco] [#14]
Don’t let this thread die, made it to my spot and hear gobbles in the woods!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By norco:
Don’t let this thread die, made it to my spot and hear gobbles in the woods!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88436/image_jpg-3184374.JPG
View Quote

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#16]
It looks like my trail camera has a Bob Ross mode. What a happy little accident. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m missing the opener this weekend but hopefully in about 2 weeks I can get out there
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm heading up to the property this weekend to drop off some gear and scout for roosts.  Then hunt the weekend after that.  Will be the first time back out in the woods this year, been hibernating and eating venison.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#19]
The opener for my zone is the 20th.  Haven't bothered to buy a license yet even though it's probably close to a guarantee that I could bag a tom pretty quick.  I'm getting soft compared to when i was in my 20's and 30's.  

I still might, who knows.

Good luck to you guys.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#20]
How many do you want, my backyard.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

All of them please.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I’m in Georgia.  I’ll travel.  A short distance, anyway.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Just one, the one strutting!

My turkey opener just went bye bye, I'm at the hospital, my wife just had a mild stroke. She should recover 100% though, so I'm thankful for that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Earl_Basset:

My turkey opener just went bye bye, I'm at the hospital, my wife just had a mild stroke. She should recover 100% though, so I'm thankful for that.
View Quote

Dang man. That’s more important than any old turkeys. Here’s hoping for a full and speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Oh man! I’m sorry to hear that.

Hope she’s better soon.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#26]
The funky chicken strikes again.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#27]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88436/IMG_1382_jpeg-3185793.JPG
View Quote

Good job!  

That decoy really is ridiculous looking !
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#28]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88436/IMG_1382_jpeg-3185793.JPG
View Quote

The old funky chicken works his magic again! Congrats.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#29]
This thread made me order a funky chicken
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Just off the driveway this morning, there were 2 other long beards and 2 jakes

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By badm4:
This thread made me order a funky chicken
View Quote

IMHO it works great on packed up Jakes with a hen decoy or two, it will on occasion get a big boy in to challenge the funky chicken. I can run and gun for days with zero luck, but the funky chicken seems to get it done.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I’m ready

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Is that a Browning?!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By explodingvarmints:

Good job!  

That decoy really is ridiculous looking !
View Quote

It really is a goofy SOB.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
I'm not.  But workin' on it. Hope to do the same as yours if this thing ever runs again. Next step is getting a buddy to sandblast and parkerize it.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By parshooter:
I'm not.  But workin' on it. Hope to do the same as yours if this thing ever runs again. Next step is getting a buddy to sandblast and parkerize it.

https://www.imgur.com/6J7gVMm.jpeg

https://www.imgur.com/WWDwFsC.jpeg

https://www.imgur.com/n90Ne6E.jpg
View Quote

@parshooter that deserves its own thread!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Better times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2le2TzBpJM
View Quote

That video brings back a lot of memories, I have several of their tapes converted to DVD.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#38]
@parshooter that deserves its own thread!
View Quote
Hope so, one day. The guns belong to a recently widowed elderly man. She "didn't want them in the house" so he stored them in an unsecured travel trailer where they were exposed to the weather and vermin pee.

I was tasked with trying to clean them up a bit and think the Browning will make a good beater short-barreled turkey gun, if it will function and not blow up.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Is that a Browning?!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Is that a Browning?!

Damn Right it is!!!!

It was not matching numbered and already had the polymer furniture when I bought it. So it was already Frankensteined and I made it mo better.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Using Jake decoys is always a hard decision, and you don't know if you were right until the big Tom doesn't commit, which is too late.

I am 3 of 3 using the funky chicken and I was 1 of 4 using a regular Jake decoy.  They see that fucker and come in hot generally. 2 of my 3 properties have a good amount of bully Jake groups/2 year old groups.  One old bird would hang way back because 3 young Jake's were running the place.  They were in a different area one day after the hens nested and big boy came in above me.  I did some soft calling and he worked his way towards me.  He crested a knoll, saw that funky chicken and came running on a string to kick his scrawny ass. I took him at 22 yards.

** There will be a time that a beat up bird will not come in to even kick the funky chicken's ass, but I haven't experienced it yet.  

*** 3 out of 3 is defined as gobblers that responded to calls, saw the decoys, and came in. Obviously I'm not 100% on turkeys I've hunted!

Behold, the Funky Chicken!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/133760/13881_jpeg-3178715.JPG
View Quote
I use a similar setup, nested hen with a standing jake over her.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:41:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DesignatedMarksman] [#41]

Got on the board this morning

That's my first and it was like a dang hunting show. I went out and coyote called last night around sunset, got him triangulated pretty good.

He was fired up this morning, started roost gobbling 10 min before shooting light. I clucked at him several times and he gobbled right back.

He came in probably 200yd from his roost. I had a Jake and a hen decoy out.  

He gobbled maybe 75yd out in the woodline across from me, i clucked one more time and picked up my shotgun.

He came running across the field like he was getting married, stopped and strutted 25yd out and started kicking the shit out of my jake.

I drew down on his head and dusted him. What a great morning.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:03:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81267/20240413_073511-3186503.jpg

Got on the board this morninghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81267/20240413_073431-3186502.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81267/IMG_20240413_064821-3186501.jpg

That's my first and it was like a dang hunting show. I went out and coyote called last night around sunset, got him triangulated pretty good.

He was fired up this morning, started roost gobbling 10 min before shooting light. I clucked at him several times and he gobbled right back.

He gobbled maybe 75yd out in the woodline across from me, i clucked one more time and picked up my shotgun.

He came running across the field like he was getting married, stopped and strutted 25yd out and started kicking the shit out of my jake.

View Quote

Awesome first Turkey  ,  hunting them they are fired up is very fun !
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Got him with my grandfather's old shotgun too. It nothing special, it's an old fabarm single shot, but it's meaningful.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By explodingvarmints:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337369/20240404_191523_jpg-3178945.JPG

Yesterday afternoon off my basement porch.  Really weird because he's almost always alone.  Wouldn't be much of a challenge to plug one on my property which is the main reason I don't bother.  Fun to watch though.
View Quote

Same here. I first saw a turkey on our ranch about 6 or 7 years ago. They used to just pass through an unused field, but not I’ve got a flock of about 30-40 that live here permanently. One of them broke loose from the flock and hangs with our pigs. Every few months, he goes off to sow oats, but he always comes back. I’ve almost been able to pet him.

It’s almost a nuisance though. The all roost around the house and about 5 are up on my roof at night. They shit everywhere, and every once in a while, it sounds like a bowling ball rolling across the roof at 2am.

Had a hunter come by to ask permission and I denied it. Not much challenge with a flock that’ll let you get within stone throw range.

Big Frank Stallone.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Got him with my grandfather's old shotgun too. It nothing special, it's an old fabarm single shot, but it's meaningful.
View Quote

That’s cool.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#46]
A couple Toms came into my call this morning but my hunt doesn’t start for another week. Tons of turkeys strutting around this morning.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#47]

Got on the board this morninghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81267/20240413_073431-3186502.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81267/IMG_20240413_064821-3186501.jpg

View Quote

Very nice!  Well done. Congrats man.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:45:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: arowneragain] [#48]

View Quote

Nice!

We tried this morning. All the birds were roosted way off away from our farm. We sat and listened as the public land mafia started killing them off.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Great story and bird!  It's fun sometimes when they're that revved up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

That’s awesome. Those kind of hunts are what cause the addiction. Nice bird.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top