User Panel

Site Notices
Fallout Amazon series (Page 18 of 32)
Page / 32
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

Too be fair, the West Coast BoS is just a shitshow compared to the far superior East Coast chapter.
View Quote

You'd think with the TV show's destruction of the NCR that the BoS would be better off, no longer having their main competition / enemies around in any serious numbers.

Although you'd also think a group of vertibirds full of power armor and squires could take an unarmored NCR remnant meets raider hippie commune.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JsARCLIGHT:

You'd think with the TV show's destruction of the NCR that the BoS would be better off, no longer having their main competition / enemies around in any serious numbers.

Although you'd also think a group of vertibirds full of power armor and squires could take an unarmored NCR remnant meets raider hippie commune.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Too be fair, the West Coast BoS is just a shitshow compared to the far superior East Coast chapter.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Apologies in advance if this was posted already, but Critical Drinker likes it.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Overall, awesome show.  I'd probably give it an 8 out of 10.  For reference I thought Terminal List was probably a 6 out of 10, the first season of Witcher was an 8.5 out of 10, first few seasons of Game of Thrones are probably in the 10 out of 10 range for me.  The tiny bit of woke stuff was a little distracting and took away from the show a little bit:

Click To View Spoiler

Often good sense of humor.  Loved the Maximus actor's delivery on many of his lines.  Lucy wasn't the "STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMAN" I was worried she would be.  Her character development progressed very well.

I think it's just about the best we could hope for in today's climate for MODERN AUDIENCES.  /Critical Drinker voice.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MaverickH1:

I didn't play the games, but it seemed like it was based in the 1950s or so.

View Quote
In the games, the bombs drop in 2077.

It's an alternate timeline that diverges roughly after World War 2.  One of the big differences is that the transistor is not invented, so electronics technology gets stuck in the vacuum tube era for a long time, hence the retro-tech.  There is also a major issue with energy resources worldwide, which prompts more adoption of atomic energy, and also unique conflicts and ultimately the US vs. China war.  The retro-Americana culture maintains because of continued patriotism due to the constant conflicts, and a healthy bit of suspended disbelief.

Either way, discussions about race relations, interracial relationships, etc. shouldn't be viewed through the lens of the real 1950's era, this is a fictional future world that just so happens to look and feel a bit like that period.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:56:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MaverickH1] [#6]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
In the games, the bombs drop in 2077.

It's an alternate timeline that diverges roughly after World War 2.  One of the big differences is that the transistor is not invented, so electronics technology gets stuck in the vacuum tube era for a long time, hence the retro-tech.  There is also a major issue with energy resources worldwide, which prompts more adoption of atomic energy, and also unique conflicts and ultimately the US vs. China war.  The retro-Americana culture maintains because of continued patriotism due to the constant conflicts, and a healthy bit of suspended disbelief.

Either way, discussions about race relations, interracial relationships, etc. shouldn't be viewed through the lens of the real 1950's era, this is a fictional future world that just so happens to look and feel a bit like that period.
View Quote

Thank you for the explanation!  I thought I remembered that from the story, but I wasn't sure.

The only thing is that it makes it a little distracting for me because it starts to put my feelers out for "the message" and the DEI quota crowd.  It also usually is an indicator of REALLY bad acting from past experience.  I remember there was one black lady in the "women of the woods" clan in the Witcher that completely ruined every scene she was in for me because she couldn't even walk in the woods without staring at her feet out of fear of tripping.  It was like they plucked a sidewalk dweller and said "here you pretend to live in the woods" and she was SO BAD at it in every way.  But hey, they got to check a box!  I didn't notice any overly bad acting, so that was a plus.

I get pretty immersed in stories as I watch them, and anything that pulls me out is a disruption to the entertainment.  That much interracial breeding and everyone would start to look the same.  I don't have anything against it but it did feel like a lazy DEI fest.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Overall, awesome show.  I'd probably give it an 8 out of 10.  For reference I thought Terminal List was probably a 6 out of 10, the first season of Witcher was an 8.5 out of 10, first few seasons of Game of Thrones are probably in the 10 out of 10 range for me.  The tiny bit of woke stuff was a little distracting and took away from the show a little bit:

Click To View Spoiler

Often good sense of humor.  Loved the Maximus actor's delivery on many of his lines.  Lucy wasn't the "STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMAN" I was worried she would be.  Her character development progressed very well.

I think it's just about the best we could hope for in today's climate for MODERN AUDIENCES.  /Critical Drinker voice.
View Quote

I think they ultimately made clear that the "heroes" are not "Commies".   In fact, Moldaver expressly says so.   But simply fighting against corporations manipulating the course of world events under the auspices of Capitalism.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

This.

For the folks complaining about how a character is or isn't take a look at it from the perspective of each character being an avatar of a player.  Maxximus was like a kid playing or can be seen as a child taken by the BoS and not educated just indoctrinated.

Anyone that has played the game has run away at some point and yelled "fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck..."  

The only thing I will say is that there was a lack of scavenging, but that's common for almost all shows or movies always be walking past a rifle and vest full of mags when you only have a revolver.

Vest video game to TV/ movie ever.

Lets do Halo next

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
Originally Posted By exDefensorMilitas:
Honestly, a solid 4.5/5 for me. Maybe some minor niggles here and there in the moment, but with only 8 episodes I think they did pretty solid job with the story, characters, setting, atmosphere and the bits and bobs.

It was a new and interesting way to experience Fallout, because to me it felt kinda like multiple concurrent playthroughs that had different starts, but all meandering to the same destination. The character dialogue felt like a mix of quest log exposition, lore logs, standard in game convos and even what you might have been saying to yourself, if you were playing the game and were in that situation.

That said, this is from someone that only has around 500 hours in the Fallout franchise. If this was an Elder Scrolls series...I've spent several thousand hours in 3-5.

This.

For the folks complaining about how a character is or isn't take a look at it from the perspective of each character being an avatar of a player.  Maxximus was like a kid playing or can be seen as a child taken by the BoS and not educated just indoctrinated.

Anyone that has played the game has run away at some point and yelled "fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck..."  

The only thing I will say is that there was a lack of scavenging, but that's common for almost all shows or movies always be walking past a rifle and vest full of mags when you only have a revolver.

Vest video game to TV/ movie ever.

Lets do Halo next

For me it was the first time I encountered a group of Cazadores from New Vegas. Then it was the time I tried to cut across Deathclaw promontory.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:

I think they ultimately made clear that the "heroes" are not "Commies".   In fact, Moldaver expressly says so.   But simply fighting against corporations manipulating the course of world events under the auspices of Capitalism.
View Quote
Yes, and similar is established if you read into the lore of the games.

Before the nukes dropped, the US government was basically broke from years of fighting the war with China.  This gave several large corporations immense power if they were willing to work with the government, so American society was basically a corrupt corpocracy actually run by the companies like RobCo, West tek, Vault Tec, etc.  Communism was the cultural boogie man because the main enemy was communist China, and anyone who didn't fall in line with that system was branded a communist and became a societal outcast.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Man, where the hell did they find the cars for this show??? A Kaiser Darrin?

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Before the nukes dropped, the US government was basically broke from years of fighting the war with China.  This gave several large corporations immense power if they were willing to work with the government, so American society was basically a corrupt corpocracy actually run by the companies like RobCo, West tek, Vault Tec, etc.  Communism was the cultural boogie man because the main enemy was communist China, and anyone who didn't fall in line with that system was branded a communist and became a societal outcast.
View Quote

I have never played the game.  But that explanation dovetails very consistently with what is depicted and explained in the show.

All in all, a great series.  No real Mary Sues or good guys.  Just people driven by their own selfish needs and cultural upbringing...in a fucked up world.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

Yes, but that same plot hole is prevalent in the games too.
View Quote

I think it was demonstrated that the BOS does not value squires at all. They would never waste prewar drugs on a squire, they have plenty
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Earl_Basset:
Walter Goggins is a natural born scene stealer in anything he's in.  Good campy show.
View Quote

Am I the only one who has no idea who he is? I don't think I've ever seen him in anything, certainly didn't recognize him when he showed in the show.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Am I the only one who has no idea who he is? I don't think I've ever seen him in anything, certainly didn't recognize him when he showed in the show.
View All Quotes
Walter Goggins is a natural born scene stealer in anything he's in.  Good campy show.

He will always and forever be Boyd Crowder from justified. In my mind at least anyway and I agree he can steal a show without even trying.  

I just finished fallout today and really enjoyed it, but I had no video game knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Am I the only one who has no idea who he is?
View All Quotes

Yes
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I watched and thought it was pretty good. Fresh and interesting. Only played the original Fallout so not all that heavy into the games as a frame of reference.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

You'd probably recognize him. I can never remember his name but when I see him I'm decaprio in once upon a time in hollywood.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

The Shield; Justified.
Dude is awesome
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BB:

The Shield; Justified.
Dude is awesome
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BB:

The Shield; Justified.
Dude is awesome

I looked at his work list, the only ones I've seen are House of 1000 Corpses. Django and Shanghai Noon....but I don't remember him in any of them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#21]

I looked at his work list, the only ones I've seen are House of 1000 Corpses. Django and Shanghai Noon....but I don't remember him in any of them.
View Quote

Go watch Vice Principals
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

not gonna lie, I recognized him but no idea where from or why. Never in a thousand years would I have been able to tell you his name before this.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:44:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dhmjr40] [#23]
Mr Goggins was also in Predators, wore an orange jump suit and thought one of the other characters postiers was awesome.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By dhmjr40:
Mr Goggins was also in Predators, wore an orange jump suit and thought one of the other characters postiers was awesome.
View Quote

Oh shit that's where I know him from, dude with his sister tattooed on him. Tits like cannons
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Mikhail_86:

Oh shit that's where I know him from, dude with his sister tattooed on him. Tits like cannons
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Think of Maximus this way: He's a child in an adult body.

He plays around with the power armor like a kid would just as he lavishes in the luxuries of Vault 4 as a child would, he has extreme emotional reactions to things, he has brash not well thought out violent responses to situations that cause him more problems than they solve, he creates spontaneous lies of convenience out of fear then suffers their consequences, and his understanding of interpersonal relationships and how the world of the wasteland functions is basic and very simplistic. He is a child. My assumption is the unspoken / unshown history of Maximus is that whatever knowledge and brain development he had as the child that stepped out of the refrigerator at Shady Sands is as far as he has matured. The BoS only gave him indoctrination.
View Quote

Yes. Really, the first scenes of the BoS outpost make it painfully clear they didn’t raise those kids properly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

“5:00. Bitch raping time.”

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:

It was devolving into a full blown Fascist State…the Feds Nationalized West-Tek, and the others had to play ball to not end up the same way. Except Vault-Tec, whose corporate heads most likely overlapped significantly with the Federal Government, making it in some ways a puppet for the Enclave.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BobRoberts:

Go watch Vice Principals
View All Quotes

Go watch Vice Principals

That fucking show.

Or Righteous Gemstones... or Fatman...
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#30]
In the plot of the show I wonder if the Enclave is actually going to be shown to be VaultTek wearing a different hat.

It is stated in the show that Moldaver's fusion energy technology research was bought out by VaultTek and hidden, only for us to be shown what is supposedly the Enclave developing that same tech. In game Fallout lore the Enclave is the former US Government and elements of the military who wish to eradicate everything on the surface and replace them with their own population and leadership... which is the expressed motivation of VaultTek in the show.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

I REALLY like that movie.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Kharn:  Oh just wait. The fun appears.Kharny
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By governmentman:

Yes, but that same plot hole is prevalent in the games too.

I wasn't necessarily speaking about the effects of a StimPak, more about how the BoS obviously didn't give Dane one otherwise she would have recovered near instantly and not been hobbling around with a limp like a wobbly table.

It just goes to show the BoS doesn't give a shit about anyone who isn't a knight or above, regardless of suspected blue falconry or not. Is it any wonder the numbers in this specific BoS sect are so low, so poor of quality, and so demoralized?

Outcasts are better.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Yes
View All Quotes

Yes

I've never heard of him before this show.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:
GD: "trannies and lesbians are destroying our civilization!"
Also GD: "No way there would be trannies and lesbians when civilization has crashed!" SnipSnipNick
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:01:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kentucky_smith] [#36]

Go watch Vice Principals
View Quote
Baby Billy

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Finally just finished all 8 episodes.
Kind of seems like there's a million different angles they could take this show based off what I know playing the games since FO1 was released what what was presented in this first season.

I guess we'll see.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:  Wifey and I binged watched it and she loved it despite not knowing a damn thing about Fallout. As a huge fan of NV.. I look forward to the next season!!’
View Quote
Pics of Wifey not loading .
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
Finally just finished all 8 episodes.
Kind of seems like there's a million different angles they could take this show based off what I know playing the games since FO1 was released what what was presented in this first season.

I guess we'll see.

View Quote

The world is so big, and it's never really been pigeonholed because of how isolated each region is. You can just keep making games out of the lore they have without ever getting backed into a plot corner, and they can also time skip if needed to get even more content.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Kharn:
Kharny
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

Near the end the main lady (the one who kidnapped the overseer and is also in the flashbacks giving Cooper the earpiece) said "We're not communists."
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Finished the last episode. Worth it, looking forward to season 2. They better be balls deep in production already, I don’t want to wait 3 years between seasons.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
Finished the last episode. Worth it, looking forward to season 2. They better be balls deep in production already, I don't want to wait 3 years between seasons.
View Quote

It's Bethesda, they make us wait 10 years between games, 3 would be a luxury
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#44]

It's Bethesda, they make us wait 10 years between games, 3 would be a luxury
View Quote

Good point. We’re 9 years since Fallout 4…
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#45]

Good point. We're 9 years since Fallout 4
View Quote

If they hadn't wasted manpower making that abortion Starfield we would almost be there
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#46]

If they hadn't wasted manpower making that abortion Starfield we would almost be there
View All Quotes

Good point. We're 9 years since Fallout 4

Add the money grab that's Fallout 76 to that list.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I wish Obsidian could make another Fallout but BGS doesn't want them to.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#48]
The thing that bugs me the most about the boot razor is that the show demonstrates multiple times that a Stimpak will bring you back from death near instantly and get you back in the fight. Lucy Stims herself with a stab wound to the stomach, sews it back herself, and is right as rain. Dogmeat gets stabbed, Stimpak'ed, and he pops back up like a trooper. Meanwhile Dane is put out of action needing a replacement and is STILL LIMPING like days later.

Perhaps the BoS deemed Dane unworthy of a Stimpak? If so, why was she even promoted to squire? The whole Toy Story Woody "there's a razor in the boot" thing was a hokey plot convenience that simply gets Maximus off of the BoS bench and into the game.
View Quote
That way the show can happen.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#49]

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

To be fair, the Fallout universe's version of capitalism does in fact hate you. For those who don't know the lore, in the Fallout univers businesses are basically unregulated and every politician is basically bought and paid for. Product safety is non existent. Worker safety and protections are non existent. Major corporations essentially have their own military. If a company could get away with killing a competitors customers to cause their sales to drop, they would. Essentially every negative or criticism about capitalism in our world is jacked up to 11 in the Fallout world.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Dogmeat is at Red Rocket Station.
Page / 32
Fallout Amazon series (Page 18 of 32)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top