User Panel

Site Notices
Fallout Amazon series (Page 2 of 32)
Page / 32
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

Given that Fallout lets you play as a male or female protagonist. Yeah, it doesn't bother me at all.

What will be important is she has to go through a heroes journey. Like, not have her as some Mary Sue. lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

Fallout - since the beginning - has had both male and female player characters available. I don't see it as a gender swap.

Given that Fallout lets you play as a male or female protagonist. Yeah, it doesn't bother me at all.

What will be important is she has to go through a heroes journey. Like, not have her as some Mary Sue. lol

100% agreed. I expect this to ignore that and be an unfortunately shitty end result. If not - great! If so - at least I didn't get excited.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:08:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredsaint] [#2]
WTF i never this existed, off to watch S1

eta: shit i thought it was S2 releasing
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#3]
All I know is Walter Goggins sat down with the script a fork and a knife and is prepared to chew the ever living shit out every scene he is in.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:11:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gator] [#4]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

It can be a crapshoot these days.

Netflix's Cowboy Beebop was terrible, but Netflix's One Piece was awesome - with nothing "woke" in it ... and made by the same production company.  

If the wrong people were in charge of the Fallout series writing and production, it will be garbage.  If the right people were in charge, it could be really good.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By Flathead9:
It's going to be a big woke clusterfuck. How could you possibly think it wouldn't be?

It can be a crapshoot these days.

Netflix's Cowboy Beebop was terrible, but Netflix's One Piece was awesome - with nothing "woke" in it ... and made by the same production company.  

If the wrong people were in charge of the Fallout series writing and production, it will be garbage.  If the right people were in charge, it could be really good.

I liked Cowboy Beebop.  

But I'm also not an anime weeb, so "IT'S NOT LIKE THE ANIME!" didn't bother me one bit.

Cautiously optimistic on this, love the FO games.  As someone else mentioned, Walter Goggins is great in anything he's in.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:

OK, calm down...maybe if you ask nicely your mom will bake brownies for you and bring them down to the basement.  Maybe focus on real life more, and less on video games made by a company you've never worked for, run by a man you'll never meet.

Step away from the computer for a bit...go outside and enjoy actual real life.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wc22312:
Fuck Todd Howard, bastard ruined my gaming life.

Fuck what fallout has become. Ruined my favorite childhood franchise.

Fuck Amazon also and fuck arf for using them. Actually just fuck everybody.

OK, calm down...maybe if you ask nicely your mom will bake brownies for you and bring them down to the basement.  Maybe focus on real life more, and less on video games made by a company you've never worked for, run by a man you'll never meet.

Step away from the computer for a bit...go outside and enjoy actual real life.

I ride 20k mi a year, also see last line of my post. Good day sir.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
WTF i never this existed, off to watch S1

eta: shit i thought it was S2 releasing
View Quote

Kind of!

Fallout: Nuka Break - Complete First Season
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
This has the potential to be woke, or awesome. Fingers crossed
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By glklvr:
Having not played one second of any of the Fallout games but understanding the storyline, I'm looking forward to it.
View Quote

Same.  I also never really played HALO but I enjoyed the series.  Only video game based TV show I have watched that I actually played the game all the way through is Super Mario Brothers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:17:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#10]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

It's always struck me as odd how many males play as female characters in video games.  Nothing like just playing your game and some chick comes up and a dude starts speaking over the in game comm.
View Quote
I always play as a male in games but I can see the argument of not wanting to stare at a dude's ass the entire game when a female is an option.  It's really odd that you would expect a female character in a game to always be a female at the keyboard. I often play a mage or caster type if possible, vs guns or swords and heavy armor.  Do you expect that that means I can cast a fireball in real life?

Quite a lot of the point of video games, it to do things that we can't and be someone we are not.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
I always play as a male in games but I can see the argument of not wanting to stare at a dude's ass the entire game when a female is an option.  It's really odd that you would expect a female character in a game to always be a female at the keyboard. I often play a mage or caster type if possible, vs guns or swords and heavy armor.  Do you expect that that means I can cast a fireball in real life?

Quite a lot of the point of video games, it so do things that we can't and be someone we are not.
View All Quotes

It's always struck me as odd how many males play as female characters in video games.  Nothing like just playing your game and some chick comes up and a dude starts speaking over the in game comm.

Quite a lot of the point of video games, it so do things that we can't and be someone we are not.

I know a few males that specifically played with female characters in MMORPGs because the simps would treat them differently/give them loot.

They identified the future OnlyFans target group years earlier.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FooBarBaz:
Wait till you see how episodes 4 thru 71 all revolve around radiant quests for Preston.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
This. Make the protagonist like Ripley in Alien/Aliens, will be a great show. Make her like any of the Mary Sue "girl bosses" in so mamy of the movies/shows of the last few years it will suck.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m going in with extremely low expectations. They put a 90 pound woman as the protagonist. I’m fairly certain there’s going to be some level of wokeness.

Fallout has been one of my favorite franchises, except for 76 because fuck multiplayer Fallout.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quite a lot of the point of video games, it so do things that we can't in real life and be someone we are not.
View All Quotes

Quite a lot of the point of video games, it so do things that we can't in real life and be someone we are not.

Reread what I wrote, I only said that it "..struck me as odd how many males play as female characters...".  I can't say as I really pay any attention to my characters once they're created and I certainly don't pay any attention to their asses when they walk, it's just a game.  For example, despite my level and money in RDR2 my character looks the same as when I started and is usually wearing a summer or winter outfit depending on location (I think there are only three or four outfits on the horse and whatever free clothing items stored at camp); I don't really care about buying all of the fancy looking stuff, just upgrading equipment.  Lots of players do, obviously, and if that makes the game more fun for them I don't care, I just find it a bit odd.  FWIW, I've played other species in other games or the female if that's the role that comes up, never thought that much about it, but when starting a new game it also hasn't really occurred to me to choose to be female either- no latent troon fantasies here.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

So, you’re hopeful?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By thejokker:

I started Fallout 4 with a female character just so I would not have to look at a man's ass during the game.  Two weeks later I found out my cousins daughter was the model for Fallout 4.  Was staring at my cousins daughters ass creepy?  

I loved that game so I tried playing the earlier versions.  They sucked.  I'm sure the stories were great but the interface made them unplayable.  Fallout 76 was kind of weak at launch but they kept expanding the game and now it's not too bad...

Looking forward to watching the show.
View Quote

Happen to know who the model is for the
Nuka Cola girl in 76?

Good lord.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:39:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#19]

Reread what I wrote, I only said that it "..struck me as odd how many males play as female characters...".  I can't say as I really pay any attention to my characters once they're created and I certainly don't pay any attention to their asses when they walk, it's just a game.  For example, despite my level and money in RDR2 my character looks the same as when I started and is usually wearing a summer or winter outfit depending on location (I think there are only three or four outfits on the horse and whatever free clothing items stored at camp); I don't really care about buying all of the fancy looking stuff, just upgrading equipment.  Lots of players do, obviously, and if that makes the game more fun for them I don't care, I just find it a bit odd.  FWIW, I've played other species in other games or the female if that's the role that comes up, never thought that much about it, but when starting a new game it also hasn't really occurred to me to choose to be female either- no latent troon fantasies here.  

View Quote
You are saying both that you don't pay attention to video game characters, but that also you find it odd when guys choose a female one.  

So...you are paying attention.  You are paying attention to what they look like and who is playing them. The fact that you made a post about the difference between the visual representation and the player who choose it in fact specifically means you care.  Otherwise you wouldn't have.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By gearsmithy:

I saw an article somewhere where the showmakers said they would be leaning into 'political narratives' or other such shit. Sorry but it sounds like it's going to be worse than the last of us.

ETA: Found it - "Prime Video’s ‘Fallout’ TV Creators Confirm Show Will Feature Heavy Social Commentary"
View All Quotes

I saw an article somewhere where the showmakers said they would be leaning into 'political narratives' or other such shit. Sorry but it sounds like it's going to be worse than the last of us.

ETA: Found it - "Prime Video’s ‘Fallout’ TV Creators Confirm Show Will Feature Heavy Social Commentary"

The games were always heavy on social commentary, specifically on govt incompetence/corruption, corporate greed, etc.  

From the quote I read in that article thats what they plan on talking about when it comes to social commentary, not “boys can have periods” commentary.  

Nolan said, “The games are about the culture of division and haves and have-nots that, unfortunately, have only gotten more and more acute in this country and around the world over the last decades.”

Cant imagine anyone who actually played the games getting triggered by the show mirroring the exact social commentary of every single fallout game ever made.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
This is from the Amazon page for the show:
View Quote
A global nuke war would no doubt effect the climate.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:48:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: von_landstuhl] [#23]
Originally Posted By fike:
Female protagonist, so arfcom won’t like it as they “can’t see themselves” in the character.
View Quote

Accept for my Tauren male in WoW, every character I play is female.

ETA:

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 74novaman:

The games were always heavy on social commentary, specifically on govt incompetence/corruption, corporate greed, etc.  

From the quote I read in that article thats what they plan on talking about when it comes to social commentary, not “boys can have periods” commentary.  

Cant imagine anyone who actually played the games getting triggered by the show mirroring the exact social commentary of every single fallout game ever made.
View Quote

True, but 'social commentary' doesn't mean the same thing today as it did when the games came out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#25]
You are saying both that you don't pay attention to video game characters, but that also you find it odd when guys choose a female one.  

So...you are paying attention.  You are paying attention to what they look like and who is playing them. The fact that you made a post about the difference between the visual representation and the player who choose it in fact specifically means you care.  Otherwise you wouldn't have.
View All Quotes

Not sure your angle here.  Of course I notice the characters around me to some extent, for one certain traits are more common on players who tend to be griefers/hackers, which players have a weapon equipped while near you or equip one as they approach, etc. but past that, no not really, it's not something I really care or obsess on like some apparently do.  It's just that as a male it's never really struck me to play as a female and when a person does speak IRL, it just seems odd to me when they have chosen an avatar that is a female.  That's all, don't overthink it, it's just a game.  Play your own game however it makes you happy, I just do it to blow off some steam and relax.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#26]

True, but 'social commentary' doesn't mean the same thing today as it did when the games came out.
View Quote

From your article, the social commentary hes talking about in the show is based on the social commentary in the games.

Hopefully thats true.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll give it a shot.  At least it has the cute girl from yellow jackets.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 74novaman:

From your article, the social commentary hes talking about in the show is based on the social commentary in the games.

Hopefully thats true.
View Quote

Agreed. The social commentary of the games was more of a class situation, which I'm totally fine with and I think the games treated in an intelligent way. As someone else already said, this is either going to be woke or awesome.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:55:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#29]

Not sure your angle here.  Of course I notice the characters around me to some extent, for one certain traits are more common on players who tend to be griefers/hackers, which players have a weapon equipped while near you or equip one as they approach, etc. but past that, no not really, it's not something I really care or obsess on like some apparently do.  It's just that as a male it's never really struck me to play as a female and when a person does speak IRL, it just seems odd to me when they have chosen an avatar that is a female.  That's all, don't overthink it, it's just a game.  Play your own game however it makes you happy, I just do it to blow off some steam and relax.
View Quote
I have no angle, I will try to be clearer and then move on.  You are stating on one hand that you don't care or notice the details of video game avatars.  Then on the other you decided to make the time to make this chain of posts, to share that you find it odd that guys sometimes choose a female avatar.

My message is that based on the above opposing things which you have shared, one of them has to be incorrect.  Both claims cannot be possible at the same time, only one can.  That is all.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I have no angle, I will try to be clearer and then move on.  You are stating on one hand that you don't care or notice the details of video game avatars.  Then on the other you decided to make the time to make this chain of posts, to share that you find it odd that guys sometimes choose a female avatar.

My message is that based on the above opposing things which you have shared, one of them has to be incorrect.  Both claims cannot be possible at the same time, only one can.  That is all.
View All Quotes

Well, I would hope that the last post helped clear that up- yes, of course I notice them insomuch as it pertains to the game, but not much past that other than when a dude voices a chick seeming odd.  I'm not sure how much more clear I can be.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Looking forward to it, but there is a 99.9% chance it will be packed with wokefilled bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

“[Jonathan Nolan] then explained how the show will use Lucy to moralize to viewers, “Lucy is charming and plucky and strong…and then you see she’s confronted with the reality of, hey, maybe the supposedly virtuous things you grew up with are not necessarily that virtuous. If they are virtuous, they’re couched in a circumstantial virtuousness. It’s a luxury virtue. You have your point of view because you never ran out of food, right? You guys were able to share everything—because you had enough to share.””

Everyone still excited now?

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Mooseless:

“[Jonathan Nolan] then explained how the show will use Lucy to moralize to viewers, “Lucy is charming and plucky and strong…and then you see she’s confronted with the reality of, hey, maybe the supposedly virtuous things you grew up with are not necessarily that virtuous. If they are virtuous, they’re couched in a circumstantial virtuousness. It’s a luxury virtue. You have your point of view because you never ran out of food, right? You guys were able to share everything—because you had enough to share.””

View Quote

There's a lot of virtue in that signal.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Canceled Amazon quite a while ago and never really watched too many shows.  I would like to try this though.  Do Amazon shows have all episodes at once like Netflix or do they do the one per week thing?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Amazon seems pretty hit and miss, could be woke garbage and it could be tolerable entertainment.

On the one hand you have a female protagonist, but on the other hand the main character is supposed to be naive and way out of her depth.  We also have a minority male protagonist (Iron Brotherhood) and it appears the only white male protagonist is a ghoul who is horribly deformed.  

Amazon has put out some pure woke garbage like their Lord of the Rings series, but they've had some good ones like "Terminal List" and "Reacher."  So, fingers crossed.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By glklvr:
Having not played one second of any of the Fallout games but understanding the storyline, I'm looking forward to it.
View Quote

Do you understand the bottle cap and bobbypin in modern culture?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#37]
But hasn't that always been the presentation of the Vault Dwellers vs the Wastelanders?

The trope is that the Vault Dwellers either lived in an absolute hell of government experimentation, or they lived in some idyllic 50's style ship in a bottle. Nearly every Fallout game in which the protagonist is a Vault Dweller who come from a world of comfort / plenty that suddenly has a problem requiring them to leave the vault in search of a solution. The Vault Dweller having a culture shock with the Wastelanders is par for the course. They go from a controlled environment to an uncontrolled one. Yes there are class warfare angles to it, but it always has the dark subtext that the Vault Dweller also comes from a government experiment in which they were oblivious. What the purpose of the vault in the show will be is yet to be determined. Sure, the outside Wastelander world might see the Vault Dweller as coming from a paradise of plenty when in reality their vault might have had mandatory buttfuckings every Tuesday or they all got forced sex changes at 18.

The vaults were hell, just some hells had nice pillows and dinty moore dinners.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

the main character is a Vault Dweller, she is the definition of privileged. She lived in a high tech, radiation free, bunker that she "inherited" her place in because her 1% great great grand parents were either rich or connected enough to get a spot in.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I wonder if they'll have the aspects of the vaults being experiments themselves.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Welcome to Costco. I love you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By snakes19:
the main character is a Vault Dweller, she is the definition of privileged. She lived in a high tech, radiation free, bunker that she "inherited" her place in because her 1% great great grand parents were either rich or connected enough to get a spot in.
View Quote

And you were (presumably) born in the US, arguably the top 4% of the world. So I suppose you agree with the privilege arguments being used to flood your country with enemies.

I swear, slap a brand on a thing and you can make fans swallow just about anything you feed them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:35:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#43]
I have higher hopes than most here, it appears.  Amazon has a good track record of shows...The Boys is awesome, definitely NOT woke.  Walton Goggins is great in whatever he's in.  The CGI and practical effects look great on screen.  I would be a little worried if they were trying to bring the same story lines from the Fallout games to the TV screen, but it's a new vault and a new location, Los Angeles.

It can't be worse than Fallout 76.
View Quote
Yes, Wheel of Time and Rings of Power stayed true to their IP and are adored by fans the world over.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By kentucky_smith:
Jonathan Nolan being involved gives hope.  
View Quote

He created Person Of Interest, so yeah I'd say his involvement is a positive sign.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#45]

And you were (presumably) born in the US, arguably the top 4% of the world. So I suppose you agree with the privilege arguments being used to flood your country with enemies.

I swear, slap a brand on a thing and you can make fans swallow just about anything you feed them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By snakes19:

It’s all about the real world problem of food deserts.

We can’t ignore it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Brutus_15:

The Boys is woke as all hell….
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brutus_15:
I have higher hopes than most here, it appears.  Amazon has a good track record of shows...The Boys is awesome, definitely NOT woke.  Walton Goggins is great in whatever he's in.  The CGI and practical effects look great on screen.  I would be a little worried if they were trying to bring the same story lines from the Fallout games to the TV screen, but it's a new vault and a new location, Los Angeles.  

It can't be worse than Fallout 76.

The Boys is woke as all hell….

This...Boys started out great then went woke with a quickness.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By King_Mud:

Yes, Wheel of Time and Rings of Power stayed true to their IP and are adored by fans the world over.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Very much enjoyed fallout 3 and loved fallout new vegas.  Tried 4 and still have it on my PC but never got into it.  Even after 10 years I go back and play a few hours of NV every now and again.  Still one of my favorite games.  I don't have high hopes for the show and will take it with a grain of salt.  Low expectations are easily met.

I just hope I see a character in the show scavenge a "bent tin can" and trade it in for .5 caps.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#49]

I know a few males that specifically played with female characters in MMORPGs because the simps would treat them differently/give them loot.

View All Quotes

LOL, manginas
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Hopefully it's woke so we have another thing to bitch about.
Page / 32
Fallout Amazon series (Page 2 of 32)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top