BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JP_in_STL:
On the load and wet stack issue.  You may want 2 generators?  A little Honda Inverter that sips fuel, keep some lights and the TV going.  Then the big dog that runs for 3-4hrs in the afternoon/evening and you crank up the HVAC, well pump, washing machine, etc.

I know there is a small .Mil 10HP Yanmar Single Cylinder Diesel that is Inverter based and should sip fuel.  MEP-831a rated 3Kw but likely run 5Kw in civilian rating.

I have a Generac XD5000E which is 5500 Watts starting that will "just" start my 20A@240V well pump with minimum other loads.  My goal was the well, and to run a Window Unit AC if needed.  Its not an Inverter and is pretty noisy and heavy.  But that 10HP Yanmar has a high reputation.  I bought it from Sun Rental for $1200 w/60hrs on the meter normally $3500+
https://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/xd-series-(1)/xd5000e
View Quote

My well pump would never start on 5500 watts, must be a bigger pump motor than yours. My 10K generator grunts when the well kicks on even with every other circuit turned off.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

My entire house is electric.

I’m planning to eventually swap my electric furnace, and water heater to propane, and after that… this 10kw generator might well work, but currently it won’t. And while as you said SOME will produce more, guaranteed the one I buy won’t.      

Let me get a picture of the data plate for this exact generator and I’ll send it to you, maybe you can figure out if it can / will produce more kw on single phase.
View Quote

Is it a MEP-803a?

Look at line 2 for 120/240V operation on #2 diesel.  Output is 10,000 watts at 0.8 power factor.  If electric heaters are your big load, that can be recalculated at a 1.0 pf, which raises the output to 12,500 watts continuous.

Here is a video of my unit easily starting a ~4HP compressor, pulling over 3 times the max output at startup.  ~40kW instant startup pull.
MEP-803a starting 3.7 HP single phase air compressor

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Another source for used generators is out of business poultry houses.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#4]

I’m planning to eventually swap my electric furnace, and water heater to propane, and after that… this 10kw generator might well work, but currently it won’t. And while as you said SOME will produce more, guaranteed the one I buy won’t.      

Let me get a picture of the data plate for this exact generator and I’ll send it to you, maybe you can figure out if it can / will produce more kw on single phase.

What a description of this generator model I read was full 10kw rating was in 3 phase, and single phase was only 7kw.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rock_Ranger:
@buck19delta

A 10kw, MEP-803a should be more than enough generator for the average house.  I have a gas water heater and furnace, and my whole house can run on a 5kW MEP-802a, even in the summer with A/C. (I have a nice 5-stage inverter driven A/C unit)

I'd be glad to help you work through this since I have a little experience with the 5kw and 10kw models.

First thing to know is the power ratings on these generators are listed at a 0.8 power factor, which accounts for losses driving inductive loads like motors.  Most consumer grade equipement is rated at a 1.0pf.  Also, the rating are continuous power, not peak.  That 10kw rated gen will drive a 12.5 kW resistive load all day and night in any weather without derating.  Many units will pull more than their nameplate rating under nominal conditions.

The 803a will output its full wattage at 120/240 single phase.  That is over 52 amps @ 240V continuous.

Noisewise, they are not silent, but I cant hear it running from inside the house.  My Honda EU2200i is more quiet at idle, but if I pair two together and they are working, they are 3db louder than the MEPs and still half the output of the smaller 5kW unit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130046/20230729_162353-2946093.jpg

What a description of this generator model I read was full 10kw rating was in 3 phase, and single phase was only 7kw.

The MEP 803A is a 10kW (10,000 watt) generator producing 60Hz of electric power. The MEP 803A is fully enclosed and self contained, it weighs 1140lbs dry, and 1242lbs with a full fuel tank. The MEP 803A is 32 wide, 37 tall, and 62 long and can be mounted on a M116A3 trailer. The MEP 803A engine is an Onan, naturally-aspirated, four cylinders, four cycle, and liquid cooled diesel engine. The engine idle speed is 1745 RPM. The horsepower rating is 24.1 HP at 1800 RPM. The diesel engine has an oil capacity of 5.9 quarts (5.6 liters), and normal operating pressure is 25 – 60 PSI. The cooling system has a capacity of 8.2 quarts (7.8 liters), and normal operating temperature is 170°F – 200°F. it is equipped with a 9 gallon (34 liters) fuel tank, allowing eight hours of continuous operation at a full load. The MEP 803A will consume .99 gallons (3.75 liters) per hour. When the MEP 803A is connected to an auxiliary fuel system, it will be continually replenished. The MEP 803A is designed to use DF-1, DF-2, JP-4, JP-5, or JP-8. It has a 24VDC cranking system. The 24VDC comes from two 12V batteries, connected in series. The output voltages for this unit are 120VAC single phase at 104 amps max, 120/240VAC single phase at 34 amps max, and 120/208VAC three phase 52 amps max.

How about posting the data plate here as well.

Base on what you posted if you ran the machine in 120 volt only you would have 12,480 KW. I suspect that is because in the 120 volt only setting it is running the 3 winding's in series giving full power. Not a problem if you don't have any 240 volts loads. If you run it in 120/240 you will have 8,160 KW which would match up with your 7.2 figure.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:48:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#5]
Here’s the data plate, he has 2 of these, one camo 650 hours, one tan 350 hours, same manufacturer.

@Rock_Ranger

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Also found this testimonial, which is encouraging.  

Biggest differences between me and this guy, he has propane heat, where mines electric, but he has a electric well pump which I don’t, and my house is 1/2 as big, so probably much smaller ac unit at my house.

Hello everyone. I’m posting here to hopefully help anyone trying to make a decision as if the MEP-803 generator is big enough to run a whole house. I will tell you from MY experience less than a month ago when our town was hit by an F-1 tornado.
Like most of you, I tried to do as much research as I possibly could to find out what all the MEP-803A would truly run in the house and if the Genset generator would be a better option. I read everything from each end of the spectrum. I read lots and lots of people posting data jargon that I couldn’t begin to understand. I ended up purchasing an MEP-002 and played with it but wanted more so I traded up to the quite MEP-803A. WOW!!!! All I can say is I am
impressed.
My house is just over 2000 square feet and We live in the country. We have a well and a septic tank among other things. When an F-1 tornado tore thru our county ( a couple actually ) we lost power for over 5 days. I have my generator mounted in a shed some 40’ from the house just to protect it and give me a little shelter when starting the generator should it be raining or in-climate weather. I ran wire to my main power box and it has its own breaker.
Yes I had to physically turn off my “MAIN” breaker and flip on the “generator breaker “ manually but I have no problem doing that. My neighbor across the road was backed up by a propane Genset with automatic switch, but more about that later. This meant that my power was off about 20 min before I ventured out to start the generator. I did have to wait for weather to slack up enough to venture out BUT this also allowed me to call up power company outage map on my phone to see if it was gonna be a suggested hour outage or longer. In my case there were over 27 power poles down so I knew it would be days.
I fired the generator up and warmed it up a few minutes then flipped on the power to the house. Here’s the kicker..........we ran our whole house living as normal with literally No, let me repeat that, WITH NO change in our lives or normal routines. Her is what was running all day every day with out any issues.

-An electric hot water heater with 2 - 4500 watt elements
-A deep well pump 125’ 1 hp pump
-4 ton propane heater unit (new a/c unit without a soft start)
-3- infrared heaters 1500 watts each. The main 4 ton kicked in when it dropped below 30 at night
-4 ceiling fans and lights
-all lights in house
-internet and satellite
-washer and electric dryer
-dishwasher
-refrigerator and freezer
-microwave
-hair dryers
-heated floors in bathrooms

We LITERALLY changed our life in NO WAY!!!! And as far as how much fuel we burned.......... well a true and honest amount was this. We burned just slightly over 50 gallons for over 5 days and nights Running 24 hours a day non stop. It handles all loads without the first puff of smoke. The only concern I had was the possibility of “wet stacking” at night from having too little of a load on it as only the heaters and ceiling fans ran at night.
As far as my neighbors Genset, well it performed perfectly. He has the automatic transfer switch and his power came on within 7 seconds. I understand it pulled his house flawlessly as well. I believe he told me he has a 20k. He has it mounted behind his house and a separate 250 gal propane tank. No complaints there, except, they were turning their generator off at night after the first two nights because it was using so much propane!! Both generators served their purpose well but I would recommend the MEP-803A any day, any night!!!
If you are curious as to my set up or have any questions please feel free to contact me. I can tell you what I did and about my experience and research. I know I was sooooo confused after researching everything and I’m sure others out there are too. I’ll leave my email address. And for anyone curious, NO I am not selling anything or promoting anything for anyone. This is just MY personal experience and wanted others who may have questions to have a place to go and can talk in layman’s tongue. Lol.

Gene Logan
[email protected]
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Is it a MEP-803a?

https://st.mascus.com/image/product/large/arthurtrovei/fermont-mep-803a,656881_8.jpg

Look at line 2 for 120/240V operation on #2 diesel.  Output is 10,000 watts at 0.8 power factor.  If electric heaters are your big load, that can be recalculated at a 1.0 pf, which raises the output to 12,500 watts continuous.

Here is a video of my unit easily starting a ~4HP compressor, pulling over 3 times the max output at startup.  ~40kW instant startup pull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZSssToJ78Y
View Quote

Is your compressor a true 4 hp or does the motor data plate say 4 HP SPL because the two aren't the same.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Here’s the data plate, he has 2 of these, one camo 650 hours, one tan 350 hours, same manufacturer.

@Rock_Ranger

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/IMG_6885_png-3184946.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/IMG_6886_png-3184949.JPG

Biggest differences between me and this guy, he has propane heat, where mines electric, but he has a electric well pump which I don’t, and my house is 1/2 as big, so probably much smaller ac unit at my house.

View All Quotes

@Rock_Ranger

Hello everyone. I’m posting here to hopefully help anyone trying to make a decision as if the MEP-803 generator is big enough to run a whole house. I will tell you from MY experience less than a month ago when our town was hit by an F-1 tornado.
Like most of you, I tried to do as much research as I possibly could to find out what all the MEP-803A would truly run in the house and if the Genset generator would be a better option. I read everything from each end of the spectrum. I read lots and lots of people posting data jargon that I couldn’t begin to understand. I ended up purchasing an MEP-002 and played with it but wanted more so I traded up to the quite MEP-803A. WOW!!!! All I can say is I am
impressed.
My house is just over 2000 square feet and We live in the country. We have a well and a septic tank among other things. When an F-1 tornado tore thru our county ( a couple actually ) we lost power for over 5 days. I have my generator mounted in a shed some 40’ from the house just to protect it and give me a little shelter when starting the generator should it be raining or in-climate weather. I ran wire to my main power box and it has its own breaker.
Yes I had to physically turn off my “MAIN” breaker and flip on the “generator breaker “ manually but I have no problem doing that. My neighbor across the road was backed up by a propane Genset with automatic switch, but more about that later. This meant that my power was off about 20 min before I ventured out to start the generator. I did have to wait for weather to slack up enough to venture out BUT this also allowed me to call up power company outage map on my phone to see if it was gonna be a suggested hour outage or longer. In my case there were over 27 power poles down so I knew it would be days.
I fired the generator up and warmed it up a few minutes then flipped on the power to the house. Here’s the kicker..........we ran our whole house living as normal with literally No, let me repeat that, WITH NO change in our lives or normal routines. Her is what was running all day every day with out any issues.

-3- infrared heaters 1500 watts each. The main 4 ton kicked in when it dropped below 30 at night
-all lights in house
-internet and satellite
-dishwasher
-microwave
-hair dryers

We LITERALLY changed our life in NO WAY!!!! And as far as how much fuel we burned.......... well a true and honest amount was this. We burned just slightly over 50 gallons for over 5 days and nights Running 24 hours a day non stop. It handles all loads without the first puff of smoke. The only concern I had was the possibility of “wet stacking” at night from having too little of a load on it as only the heaters and ceiling fans ran at night.
As far as my neighbors Genset, well it performed perfectly. He has the automatic transfer switch and his power came on within 7 seconds. I understand it pulled his house flawlessly as well. I believe he told me he has a 20k. He has it mounted behind his house and a separate 250 gal propane tank. No complaints there, except, they were turning their generator off at night after the first two nights because it was using so much propane!! Both generators served their purpose well but I would recommend the MEP-803A any day, any night!!!
If you are curious as to my set up or have any questions please feel free to contact me. I can tell you what I did and about my experience and research. I know I was sooooo confused after researching everything and I’m sure others out there are too. I’ll leave my email address. And for anyone curious, NO I am not selling anything or promoting anything for anyone. This is just MY personal experience and wanted others who may have questions to have a place to go and can talk in layman’s tongue. Lol.

Gene Logan
[email protected]

According to that tag at 120 volts  or 120/240 the generator will produce a max 12,480 KW. Seeing as the tag list the generator at 10 KW that 12,480 KW would be the temporary surge capacity and the 10 KW is the running capacity
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JosephTurrisi:

According to that tag at 120 volts  or 120/240 the generator will produce a max 12,480 KW. Seeing as the tag list the generator at 10 KW that 12,480 KW would be the temporary surge capacity and the 10 KW is the running capacity
View All Quotes

@Rock_Ranger

impressed.

-all lights in house
-internet and satellite
-dishwasher
-microwave
-hair dryers

Gene Logan
[email protected]

So, I’ll get a true / actual 10 kw at minimum, and surge to 12kw?

If so, yeah, this would work for me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Is your compressor a true 4 hp or does the motor data plate say 4 HP SPL because the two aren't the same.
View Quote

It's 3.7HP running and pulling 3.8kW running, so it jives.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:48:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rock_Ranger] [#10]

View Quote

Not true, read my previous posts.  It is rated at 10kW at a 0.8 power factor.  If the unit were running at 240V single phase, the unit could provide 240Vac and 52amps but with V and I out of phase by ~36°, producing 10,000 watts of real power.  If the load was pure resistive, like a water heater, the power factor would be 1.0 and the unit would produce 12,500 watts of power continuously.

Officially, the surge rating is 110% of running power, but these units are far more capable than that.  The safeties just shut down the unit after a timeout period when run above 110%, and that is based soley on amperage.  Also, the unit can be put in a Battle Short mode where it ignores the safeties and runs to the physically limits of the machine.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:55:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rock_Ranger] [#11]

View Quote

In simple terms, you're getting 12,500 watts with a long surge (30-45 sec) at 13,750 watts, but in reality the machine can surge to 30 or 40kw for very brief periods, like starting a compressor.

Here is an 803a pulling 16,000 watts continuous.  Not saying they all can do this, but most units are a tank.

MEP-803A diesel generator load bank run 3kw thru 16kw
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MateFrio:
Another source for used generators is out of business poultry houses.
View Quote

My buddy lost 6 houses to a tornado a few years back, was hoping to get one of the generators, but didn’t work out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#13]

In simple terms, you're getting 12,500 watts with a long surge (30-45 sec) at 13,750 watts, but in reality the machine can surge to 30 or 40kw for very brief periods, like starting a compressor.

Here is an 803a pulling 16,000 watts continuous.  Not saying they all can do this, but most units are a tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHF9qPmwrXw
View All Quotes

Dang !

I’m still working out a deal. He offered generator without trailer in a straight trade, or pay $500 extra for trailer. I offered straight trade and he pays me $300 to keep it.

I don’t need the trailer, except short term, and would eventually be trying to sell it anyway.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Tagged for interest. I need a bigger generator
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 3:30:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#15]
Well, were going to trade !  So I should have my new military generator in a day or two.

Heres where I plan to tie it into my electric. This is behind my garage, behind the meter is my garage panel, to the right is the power that runs down into the ground, and approx 75' to the house.

Hoping to put a transfer switch or whatever between the garage panel and house power, so I can run power to the garage and to the house at same time, to run freezers and a few lights in the garage, and house stuff for living. I’m  not sure exactly what that entails, but this is where I want / need it, as this is the best spot to build my generator shed, and cheapest way to connect garage and house to the generator. The Shed will be approx 25' out from the garage, basically where I took the picture from.   Approx 8x10, raise generator onto a metal frame and place 100 gallon tank under it, or place generator 24” off concrete for easy access, and fuel tank at end of the room, or even outside the shed. I’ll be using a 100 gallon 18 wheeler fuel tank I got for free . This project will probably cost me approx $2000.00 bucks. I can pour the 8x10 slab myself for approx $800.00. Figure $200 for roof metal, I already have tornado salvage 2x6 lumber for wall studs x roof supports.

That leaves approx 30’ of heavy copper cable ( scrapyard under $100.00 )   a transfer switch ( hopefully find a deal on one off Facebook, say $300.00 and lastly electrical knowledge / electrician to help wire it together and hopefully I can find someone willing to help pretty cheap.

Hook generator into power somewhere near the garage meter, to put generator power into garage and to the house line too.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 3:51:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rock_Ranger] [#16]
You should immediately do the MOV and fuse mods before running it.
MEP 802A - Required modifications (MOV mod Fuse mod)

The unit may have the fuse already if its been through a reset.  The fuse is there to protect the genhead if the voltage regulator fails.  The MOV is there to prevent VR failure and was not done by the DoD.  

ETA: looking at your pictures, it looks like a reset tag is attached to that unit.  Look on the engine block for a reman tag.

Also do the well nut mod if tge tank drain leaks.  The stock well nuts don't hold up that long.
MEP 802A & 803A Well Nut Upgrade

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
Many are 3-phase only though, so be sure to checkout the specs
View Quote

That 15kW MEP-804 is just that - only three phase.
You need to focus on the MEP-803A rated 10kW which has single phase.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Hoping to do the swap today, looking good so far.

I cancelled the trade yesterday morning, when I thought the generator would only produce 7kw of power. The guy immediately responded, “ oh no, these are awesome ! “, like he REALLY wanted to trade.

Then I figured out they actually produce 10kw, if not more and agreed to swap again.

I tinkered a little and discovered he’s had this generator ( 2 actually) for sale since December 12th.  He probably thought he would never get it sold. there’s not a huge demand for these, or for whole house generators for that matter, as it’s not cheap. Generator purchase, then install. Most people would just go lowes / generac turn key installation and done.

This type generator is definitely a different road to take compared to the usual generator/ generac.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with his generators, simply expensive, heavy, and an odd duck for your average homeowner.  

What I like about these style generators, is they are very well built, over built as Rock_Ranger has explained and government paid $27,000,00 for each one, I know they are really high quality. 4 cylinder diesel, ( turbo. Think )

But anyway,

1. parts are very easy to get, and pretty cheap actually.

2. Lots of very good military TMs and FMs and maintenance manuals for these, showing detailed testing instructions to test every option, detailed instructions on how to diagnose issues, and detailed instructions on how to do maintenance, repair, rebuild, etc.

3. It’s a new manufacture generator, ( 2010 ), and has only 400 hours on it, which should help reduce problems both in unit / wear tear, and parts availability, as it’s newer.

After I get it my first job will be to buy a full set of manuals for this thing, get every manual I can find, especially the big thick repair manual. Then I’ll buy common repair parts and create a repair part crate, have filters, belts, injectors, spare alternator, and whatever else that’s recommended. For future repairs.

I’m exited ! Been wanting a whole house generator for decades. It will actually save room, as I have 2 large 8000 watt generac generators I will probably sell off, and use the funds towards this project. Or maybe be able to trade one or both to an electrician to cover the install.  I’ll keep my 3 inverter generators though, ( 2 2000 watt and 1 3500 watt ) for long term power outages, portable needs, camping, running tools in remote areas, etc.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#19]

10kw / 15kw with 350 hours $7 -$8000.00
View Quote

I just had a 14kw whole house generator installed with transfer switch and propane line trenched in for $8000. I considered a surplus generator, but the convenience of having it start and run automatically sold me on the one I went with. Plus, it has a 10 year warantee.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Based on what I've been told by the guys* that maintained those generators, maintenance is everything.
Good maintenance on those will get you a lot further than trying to "fire and forget".

* Briefing from military group responsible for base camps.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#21]

I cancelled the trade yesterday morning, when I thought the generator would only produce 7kw of power. The guy immediately responded, “ oh no, these are awesome ! “, like he REALLY wanted to trade.

Then I figured out they actually produce 10kw, if not more and agreed to swap again.

I tinkered a little and discovered he’s had this generator ( 2 actually) for sale since December 12th.  He probably thought he would never get it sold. there’s not a huge demand for these, or for whole house generators for that matter, as it’s not cheap. Generator purchase, then install. Most people would just go lowes / generac turn key installation and done.

This type generator is definitely a different road to take compared to the usual generator/ generac.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with his generators, simply expensive, heavy, and an odd duck for your average homeowner.  

What I like about these style generators, is they are very well built, over built as Rock_Ranger has explained and government paid $27,000,00 for each one, I know they are really high quality. 4 cylinder diesel, ( turbo. Think )

But anyway,

2. Lots of very good military TMs and FMs and maintenance manuals for these, showing detailed testing instructions to test every option, detailed instructions on how to diagnose issues, and detailed instructions on how to do maintenance, repair, rebuild, etc.

3. It’s a new manufacture generator, ( 2010 ), and has only 400 hours on it, which should help reduce problems both in unit / wear tear, and parts availability, as it’s newer.

After I get it my first job will be to buy a full set of manuals for this thing, get every manual I can find, especially the big thick repair manual. Then I’ll buy common repair parts and create a repair part crate, have filters, belts, injectors, spare alternator, and whatever else that’s recommended. For future repairs.

I’m exited ! Been wanting a whole house generator for decades. It will actually save room, as I have 2 large 8000 watt generac generators I will probably sell off, and use the funds towards this project. Or maybe be able to trade one or both to an electrician to cover the install.  I’ll keep my 3 inverter generators though, ( 2 2000 watt and 1 3500 watt ) for long term power outages, portable needs, camping, running tools in remote areas, etc.

View Quote

My 803A does not have a turbo.  It's not a big deal though. It runs fine without it. Even at full load there is only light smoke.

The manuals are all available for download.  I guess you could buy them sure. I am a cheapskate though and just printed them out and put them in 3 ring binders.  

You seem like you have a pretty good plan.  Only thing I could add is that these generators seem to be magnets for mice and rats. I read somewhere the wiring insulation is made from soybeans or some such thing. I think I read that on steel soldiers generator forum.  So the rodents love chewing on the wires. I might suggest rodent proofing them. I did this by getting some mesh hardware cloth that has 10mm square openings and cut it to fit over all the openings and exits and held it in place with self tappers. This way air can still flow freely but rodents can not. :P

Also for what it's worth, my 803A can run my water heater, 4 ton a/c and  well pump all at the same time and only shows 2/3 on the capacity meter.   I run mine on 50% diesel and 50% used motor oil/atf mix.  I know that running used oil isn't everyone's cup of tea but it works for me and is really cheap to do.  No issues so far.

This thing is pretty bad ass I am sure you will like it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Dang !

I'm still working out a deal. He offered generator without trailer in a straight trade, or pay $500 extra for trailer. I offered straight trade and he pays me $300 to keep it.

I don't need the trailer, except short term, and would eventually be trying to sell it anyway.
View All Quotes

So, I'll get a true / actual 10 kw at minimum, and surge to 12kw?

Dang !

I'm still working out a deal. He offered generator without trailer in a straight trade, or pay $500 extra for trailer. I offered straight trade and he pays me $300 to keep it.

I don't need the trailer, except short term, and would eventually be trying to sell it anyway.
PM sent.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:38:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#23]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:

My 803A does not have a turbo.  It's not a big deal though. It runs fine without it. Even at full load there is only light smoke.

The manuals are all available for download.  I guess you could buy them sure. I am a cheapskate though and just printed them out and put them in 3 ring binders.  

You seem like you have a pretty good plan.  Only thing I could add is that these generators seem to be magnets for mice and rats. I read somewhere the wiring insulation is made from soybeans or some such thing. I think I read that on steel soldiers generator forum.  So the rodents love chewing on the wires. I might suggest rodent proofing them. I did this by getting some mesh hardware cloth that has 10mm square openings and cut it to fit over all the openings and exits and held it in place with self tappers. This way air can still flow freely but rodents can not. :P

Also for what it's worth, my 803A can run my water heater, 4 ton a/c and  well pump all at the same time and only shows 2/3 on the capacity meter.   I run mine on 50% diesel and 50% used motor oil/atf mix.  I know that running used oil isn't everyone's cup of tea but it works for me and is really cheap to do.  No issues so far.

View All Quotes

I cancelled the trade yesterday morning, when I thought the generator would only produce 7kw of power. The guy immediately responded, " oh no, these are awesome ! ", like he REALLY wanted to trade.

I tinkered a little and discovered he's had this generator ( 2 actually) for sale since December 12th.  He probably thought he would never get it sold. there's not a huge demand for these, or for whole house generators for that matter, as it's not cheap. Generator purchase, then install. Most people would just go lowes / generac turn key installation and done.

I don't think there's anything wrong with his generators, simply expensive, heavy, and an odd duck for your average homeowner.  

But anyway,

3. It's a new manufacture generator, ( 2010 ), and has only 400 hours on it, which should help reduce problems both in unit / wear tear, and parts availability, as it's newer.

After I get it my first job will be to buy a full set of manuals for this thing, get every manual I can find, especially the big thick repair manual. Then I'll buy common repair parts and create a repair part crate, have filters, belts, injectors, spare alternator, and whatever else that's recommended. For future repairs.

I'm exited ! Been wanting a whole house generator for decades. It will actually save room, as I have 2 large 8000 watt generac generators I will probably sell off, and use the funds towards this project. Or maybe be able to trade one or both to an electrician to cover the install.  I'll keep my 3 inverter generators though, ( 2 2000 watt and 1 3500 watt ) for long term power outages, portable needs, camping, running tools in remote areas, etc.

My whole house generator needs to run my 3 ton Amana HVAC unit, so it looks like a MEP-803 will work!  
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I would like one that can run a 5-ton HVAC unit. Have been reading here to get info. Diesel is easy to store.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By sleepercaprice1:

I just had a 14kw whole house generator installed with transfer switch and propane line trenched in for $8000. I considered a surplus generator, but the convenience of having it start and run automatically sold me on the one I went with. Plus, it has a 10 year warantee.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sleepercaprice1:

10kw / 15kw with 350 hours $7 -$8000.00

You can get the 10kw for around $5000.00-$6000.00 with trailer around 300- 500 hours, and the 15kw on trailer for approx $5500-$8000.00.  Bigger units as cheap, I saw a 100kw with 100 hours for $5000.00. And lots of onan, and other commercial gas / propane / diesels 35-45 kw with 1000 hours for around $6000.00 too,

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

But anyway,

We keep mice killed off here pretty well, between exterminator, myself using rat poison, bait boxes,  and my murder cat that kills everything it sees, but yeah, I’ll put extra effort into protecting this thing, it’s going to be inside a room in the near future, and I’ll do my best to keep rodents out, and have poison here and there too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
My whole house generator needs to run my 3 ton Amana HVAC unit, so it looks like a MEP-803 will work!  
View Quote

It will probably work fine but just keep in mind our a/c's may have wildly different startup draw because of differences in design. My a/c is an old system and the info sticker is long sense faded away so I can't look up the locked rotor amps.  But she absolutely will run all 3 of mine at the same time.  During the last hurricane that knocked power out for over a week I ran a/c, water heater and well pump all cycling on and off as needed and she never gave me an issue.  Not one overload or hiccup.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#28]
In many cases, money spent reducing your load or expectations pays off much than increasing generator capacity

At my primary residence, a 3100W inverter is all we need for extended outages, when paired with a larger, 240V capable generator intermittently for water heater and well pump. If things were looking long term, I’d change a few connections and make the pump 120V, and plumb in the LP tankless heater we use while camping.  The 3100W inverter sips gas.

If I had a big .mil generator, I’d sell it to someone with a big ego, and put the money into a standalone solar system, and only run a generator for overnights powering 3 window shakers.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:50:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#29]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I've had mep002s.  Currently have a mep003 on a trailer.  

They're loud
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#31]
It’s definately….

Deuce Bigalow That's a Huge Bitch

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:03:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#32]
It’s heavy as fuck. . Feels like WAY more than 1100lbs. But I managed to wrestle it off the truck, onto my retaining wall with my kubota 4x4 lawn tractor, then come along onto the atv trailer, then pulled off trailed under carport with come along. Then ran a tamping / digging bar thru the skid rails, used a jack to lift it onto blocks to give my cat room to hunt mice under it.  

I think my long term plan is to build a 100 gallon rectangle diesel tank to serve as a base, which serves two purposes, 1, raises the doors 24-36” off the ground for easier maintenance, and 2, cuts down on fuel storage space. Tank might be bigger than 100, might be 300 gallons, size of the generator base x 30” high. A guy ran his for 5 days straight , 24/7 and said that was 50 gallons, so 300 gallons should = approx 6 weeks ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Buying generators was one of the best investments that I've made.  Since buying them, the power never goes out for more than a couple of hours.  

I have a 5.5kw and a 2kw that I never use.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By whollyshite:
Buying generators was one of the best investments that I've made.  Since buying them, the power never goes out for more than a couple of hours.  

I have a 5.5kw and a 2kw that I never use.
View Quote

True,

Now I need to get all the manuals.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

Given your experience with them, would you prefer a 3600rpm propane generator or a mep003?
View Quote

Depending on circumstance, if I was going with diesel it would be because I already had a diesel tractor...and get a pto generator for it.   Reason being, your tractor gets run at regular intervals, making it more likely be ready when needed. Same for the fuel, since you're cycling through fuel anyways.  I will probably sell my mep003 and go that route, eventually.   Bonus of the meps tho...you can make 3 phase power with them.

I'm not familiar with propane gensets at all.  But I would think if you don't have a reason to go diesel, propane is the better option, just for the sake of longevity.  But @texrdnec would be the man to ask.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#37]

True,

View Quote

This is an important thread for you from SteelSoliders.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/mep-803a-all-the-tms-you-need.175591/

Also, thoroughly check over the rubber feedlines to the injection pumps and small return lines, they are a known leak point, I preemptively replace them on any generator I pick up.  Between that, the well nut upgrade, and the MOV/fuse protection on the voltage regulator, your unit will be absolutely bulletproof for yrs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Also, thoroughly check over the rubber feedlines to the injection pumps and small return lines, they are a known leak point, I preemptively replace them on any generator I pick up.  Between that, the well nut upgrade, and the MOV/fuse protection on the voltage regulator, your unit will be absolutely bulletproof for yrs.
View All Quotes

True,

Thanks !

I’ll definitely be reading up on those !
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#39]
For equal money you could get the equivalent in a commercial generator installed with an automatic switch, and it would run on natural gas or propane.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:59:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#40]
Originally Posted By ISED8U:
For equal money you could get the equivalent in a commercial generator installed with an automatic switch, and it would run on natural gas or propane.
View Quote

I could definitely get a lowes generac 10kw cheaper, but I don’t have nat gas here, have to get a propane tank, run lines and still do a similar install.  Might have saved a little money, but don’t believe I’d have gotten a better generator.

Downsides, propane is limited by requiring a commercial refill, which might not be available for various reasons for extended periods, where diesel can be sourced from various locations in various quantities. Maybe not an issue most of the time, but could be an issue all the same.

Plus, what’s the fun in having lowes do the full install via sub contractors ?   I actually enjoy the challenge though of figuring out a plan, building the generator spot, working the details, sourcing materials cheap, learning new skills, and doing things myself. It’s definitely challenging, but also extremely rewarding. plus, I spent a long time in the military, the nostalgia of this thing, and having my very own USGI surplus noise sleep machine is off the charts.

Only thing worse than their comforting RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, 24/7/365 is when they go..  RRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr…………………… because there’s nothing louder than living in a tent in the desert and your generator shuts down. . WTF ?!?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#41]
I dream of a refurb 802.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:01:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#42]
Thinking about buying a shipping container to turn into a generator room.

These little 10 footers can be had for around $1200.00, some have roll up doors.

Heck, the slab would have cost me $$800-$1000 alone, this would save a ton of work, and money, basically plop it down on gravel, anchor it, and decorate.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#43]
Yeah, the 10’ conex is looking like a great, economical solution for a generator shed, easy, cheap, and fast, vs building forms, mixing and pouring concrete, laying block waist high, building stud walls, roof, covering it all in metal, etc.  

Vs.

Level a spot, lay gravel, set conex, put generator inside, DONE !  

At least for a while, until I start the installation. . best I can tell building a shed from scratch would cost me approx $2000.00 minimum, just for the structure, vs approx $1100.00 for the little conex. So it’s pretty attractive cost wise, plus it’s a lot more secure in certain ways as well.

( later I’ll paint to match garage, insulate it / spray ceiling with spray foam to prevent condensation dripping, Wire it up with electric, ceiling lights, add some vents and a circulation fan for good ventilation while generators running. etc.) I’ll wire the ventilation fan directly to the generator, so it starts circulating air when the generator starts up. Conex should be pretty mouse free too. Possible even add a roof to protect the metal ceiling / roof , and help blend it in with garage / house better.

Actually looking forward too it !  Think I could buy one probably around august, and haul it home myself, just have to borrow a 16’ flatbed trailer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Make sure you give your kids an ART15 when they run out of gas for the best experience.

They aren't bad. Quiet is relative.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Naffenea:
Make sure you give your kids an ART15 when they run out of gas for the best experience.

They aren't bad. Quiet is relative.
View Quote

It’s actually pretty quiet, doubt you can hear it at all once it’s installed in the insulated conex.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:15:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ace-of-Based] [#46]
Congrats on your 803. It's really all the generator a house needs. As stated it does 12.5kW continuous without an issue that is only 100% load. I usually run my frequency up about 61Hz no load so that under full load it's stays around 60.

I picked up a 200a Eaton manual transfer switch off ebay for $500 that is normally closer to $2500 so keep an eye out there.

You might want to build a load bank to run it at full chooch every now and then because as a backup generator it's unlikely you'll work it hard.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Ace-of-Based:
Congrats on your 803. It's really all the generator a house needs. As stated it does 12.5kW continuous without an issue that is only 100% load. I usually run my frequency up about 61Hz no load so that under full load it's stays around 60.

I picked up a 200a Eaton manual transfer switch off ebay for $500 that is normally closer to $2500 so keep an eye out there.

You might want to build a load bank to run it at full chooch every now and then because as a backup generator it's unlikely you'll work it hard.

View Quote

Electric garage heaters make good load banks.  They generally have 3 power levels, 3kw, 4kw, and 5kw.  Stacking 2 for an 803a gives you a lot of options.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Ace-of-Based:

View Quote

I’ll keep an eye out, thanks ! Great info !
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Neat, interesting that the power factor is 0.8. That’s considered low as it affects reliability and output. I’m guessing for the purposes for which it was designed it must suffice.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Trying to work out a trade for a 2010 manufacture 10KW tactical generator 110 / 220 60 hz, 1 phase switchable to 3 phase, with 325 hours on it. Looks brand new.

Might be able to work out a trade, guy says he will think about my offer.
View Quote

If it’s phase switchable, every unit I’ e ever seen is rated on the 3 phase.  You will be dropping a leg switching to single, output will be lower.

How big is your house and what all do you want to run?  A switchable unit you’re probably looking at 25kw.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top