User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Elkins45] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StevenH:

And it’s unconstitutional bullshit.
View Quote

I agree, but that’s of little consequence until such time as the courts overturn it. More than a few people are sitting in jail for breaking an unconstitutional law that just hasn’t been challenged yet. Unless Biden or his successor manage to pack the court the Bruen decision will hopefully lay the foundation for overturning most of them, but it’s a slow process.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#2]

View Quote

Agree, but your defense in court will need to be a bit more thorough than that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Elkins45 said it was okay?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Elkins45 said it was okay?
View Quote

I know you and GD and its ATF narrative aren’t going to like this sentiment, but the fact is that the vast majority of ATF doesn’t give a fuck about hobbyists with guns.  At all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
ATF Final Rule On Sales: Your Questions Answered
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Bladeswitcher thank you very much for that post and for all the time you took to create it.
It has really helped me to make sense of the situation.

Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

What percentage of federal prosecutions go to trial?  Not many I’d guess.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Its unlicensed gun buyers reselling their own property. Interesting you consider complying with the letter of the law to be “skirting the law”
View Quote

When the Complying With the Law loophole is closed it will be like being cited for swerving in our traffic lane long after the lane stripe paint is worn away.   Bright Lines are deliberately left out of regulations to allow for prosecutorial discretion.  In another decade the chilling effect will be obvious and touted as poached frog legs that have always been on the menu.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

There's that fag talk we talked about
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

There's that fag talk we talked about
View Quote

Facts are facts, even if they are uncomfortable for you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:31:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kent] [#11]
Originally Posted By Elkins45:

You’re the only person I have seen who believes this. The ostensible purpose of this entire rule change is to force background checks by sellers. Using an intermediary FFL accomplishes this. The dealer is acting as a dealer, not the guy selling the gun. Under your interpretation no one will ever be able to sell a gun under any circumstance.
View Quote

Wrong.

Several lawyers have chimed in to say exactly that...selling to an FFL does NOT exempt you from being charged with  "being in the business without a license "

I don't know why you insist that " selling to an FFL is perfectly fine".  Please quote the text in the rule that you are using as evidence, and NOT just your feels and assumptions.    Bet you can't.

And your statement "The ostensible purpose of this entire rule change is to force background checks by sellers."   Again, quote the section of the rule that says this.   Another assumption on your part that isn't based in fact.  Literally NOTHING in the rule says that.   Go ahead.   Quote it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Stolen from the Dank Meme thread

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the Armed Attorneys have given the most reasonable interpretation.

Bottom line:  Don't sell a gun unless you don't plan to replace it until all this is sorted out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DocApocalypse:

Bottom line:  Don't sell a gun unless you don't plan to replace it until all this is sorted out.
View Quote

That’s a very dumb interpretation.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

Did you watch their videos?  That is exactly what they are saying.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#16]
How anyone with a semi-rational brain could see this rule as anything but arbitrary and capricious is beyond me, but anything goes in clown world.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#18]

You’re the only person I have seen who believes this. The ostensible purpose of this entire rule change is to force background checks by sellers. Using an intermediary FFL accomplishes this. The dealer is acting as a dealer, not the guy selling the gun. Under your interpretation no one will ever be able to sell a gun under any circumstance.
View Quote

Then why doesn't the rule just say that?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By N1150x:
So if you have an FFL you can't perform any private sales? I know what they want to do but I can't really tell what they are doing.

EDIT: ATF is gay

So if I sell a 100 year-old bourbon do I need a liquor license?
View Quote

Technically yes, it's illegal to sell alcohol to someone else without a license.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Mr_Nasty99:

View All Quotes

As posted by others, and as emphasized in the videos by the Armed Attorneys:  going through a dealer apparently does not exempt one from the rule.  

I agree with the premise that the intent may very well have been to force people to only sell their guns through FFL's, but it's badly written and that premise isn't made clear by the text of the rule.  Either the person who wrote the rule left it deliberately vague to create more chargeable offenses, or it's simply a case of poor composition skills typing up the rule.  The final result is the same:  This potentially makes anyone who "might have" intended to sell a gun for a profit into an unlicensed dealer.

This is why the Armed Attorneys pretty much almost stated word-for-word that it's likely not safe to sell any gun right now with the intent to buy another one--until lawsuits and other challenges straighten this out.  For some reason, they say if you sell all your guns and don't acquire more,  you're in the clear.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#21]

As posted by others, and as emphasized in the videos by the Armed Attorneys:  going through a dealer apparently does not exempt one from the rule.  

I agree with the premise that the intent may very well have been to force people to only sell their guns through FFL's, but it's badly written and that premise isn't made clear by the text of the rule.  Either the person who wrote the rule left it deliberately vague to create more chargeable offenses, or it's simply a case of poor composition skills typing up the rule.  The final result is the same:  This potentially makes anyone who "might have" intended to sell a gun for a profit into an unlicensed dealer.

This is why the Armed Attorneys pretty much almost stated word-for-word that it's likely not safe to sell any gun right now with the intent to buy another one--until lawsuits and other challenges straighten this out.  For some reason, they say if you sell all your guns and don't acquire more,  you're in the clear.
View All Quotes

You think it's possible the government accidently gave themselves this much power?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#22]

You think it's possible the government accidently gave themselves this much power?
View All Quotes

It seems improbable; however with the history of contradictory clarification letters and whatnot I'm open-minded that  we have a deliberate power grab, but augmented by out-and-out incompetence.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:49:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Elkins45] [#23]
Originally Posted By Kent:

Wrong.

Several lawyers have chimed in to say exactly that...selling to an FFL does NOT exempt you from being charged with  "being in the business without a license "

I don't know why you insist that " selling to an FFL is perfectly fine".  Please quote the text in the rule that you are using as evidence, and NOT just your feels and assumptions.    Bet you can't.

And your statement "The ostensible purpose of this entire rule change is to force background checks by sellers."   Again, quote the section of the rule that says this.   Another assumption on your part that isn't based in fact.  Literally NOTHING in the rule says that.   Go ahead.   Quote it.

View Quote

Bold added for emphasis by me.

Q – I plan to buy undervalued firearms for profit but will not sell them directly to
nonlicensees; I will consign them to a Federal firearms licensee who will then sell them. Do
I need a license?
A – A person who consigns firearms for sale (consignor) may have a predominant intent to earn
a profit from the sale of the firearms; however, that does not finish the fact-specific inquiry
because that person is often not devoting time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms. The
person engaged in the business is the seller who accepts the firearms on consignment

(consignee), is paid to take the firearms into a business inventory for resale, and determines the
manner in which to market and resell them on the consignor’s behalf. Like consignment-type
auctioneers, firearms consignment businesses must be licensed because they are devoting time,
attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business to
predominantly earn a profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms.

Q – Does the final rule provide examples of when a person would not be presumed to be
engaged in the business requiring a license as a dealer?
A – Yes. Under this final rule, a person would not be presumed to be “engaged in the business”
requiring a license as a dealer when reliable evidence shows the person transfers firearms only:
o As bona fide gifts;
o Occasionally to obtain more valuable, desirable, or useful firearms for their personal
collection;
o Occasionally to a licensee or a to a family member for lawful purposes;
o To liquidate (without restocking) all or part of their personal collection; or
o To liquidate firearms
o That are inherited; or
o Pursuant to a court order; or
o To assist in liquidating firearms as an auctioneer when providing auction services on
commission at an estate-type auction.
The final rule provides objectively reasonable standards for when a person is presumed to be
“engaged in the business” to strike an appropriate balance that captures persons who should be
licensed, without limiting or regulating activity truly for the purposes of a hobby or enhancing a
personal collection.

Source: https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/finalrule2022r-17f-questionsandanswerspdf/download
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

It does. See pages 12-13. https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/finalrule2022r-17f-questionsandanswerspdf/download
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:06:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kent] [#25]

Bold added for emphasis by me.

Q – I plan to buy undervalued firearms for profit but will not sell them directly to
nonlicensees; I will consign them to a Federal firearms licensee who will then sell them. Do
I need a license?
A – A person who consigns firearms for sale (consignor) may have a predominant intent to earn
a profit from the sale of the firearms; however, that does not finish the fact-specific inquiry
because that person is often not devoting time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms. The
person engaged in the business is the seller who accepts the firearms on consignment

(consignee), is paid to take the firearms into a business inventory for resale, and determines the
manner in which to market and resell them on the consignor’s behalf. Like consignment-type
auctioneers, firearms consignment businesses must be licensed because they are devoting time,
attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business to
predominantly earn a profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms.

Q – Does the final rule provide examples of when a person would not be presumed to be
engaged in the business requiring a license as a dealer?
A – Yes. Under this final rule, a person would not be presumed to be “engaged in the business”
requiring a license as a dealer when reliable evidence shows the person transfers firearms only:
o As bona fide gifts;
o Occasionally to obtain more valuable, desirable, or useful firearms for their personal
collection;
o To liquidate (without restocking) all or part of their personal collection; or
o To liquidate firearms
o That are inherited; or
o Pursuant to a court order; or
o To assist in liquidating firearms as an auctioneer when providing auction services on
commission at an estate-type auction.
The final rule provides objectively reasonable standards for when a person is presumed to be
“engaged in the business” to strike an appropriate balance that captures persons who should be
licensed, without limiting or regulating activity truly for the purposes of a hobby or enhancing a
personal collection.

Source: https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/finalrule2022r-17f-questionsandanswerspdf/download
View Quote

... except there STILL is NO definition of what exactly "occasionally" means, and that's the big problem.
Could be 1/week, 1/month, 1/year, or even longer.   BATF  specifically states there is NO minimum sales number required, and it could be as low as ZERO, depending on their sole judgement.  And again, nothing in what you quoted exempts sales to an FFL and that lack of specificity is intentional to give them latitude to prosecute anyone they like.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:11:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cwm1150] [#26]
The ATF should cease to exist as a government agency. If our worthless congress would actually do their jobs that would have happened after Waco. This rule will completely shut down a private citizens ability to sell their own property. Maybe 5 to 10 years later their illegal shit will be stopped and that is a big maybe.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Elkins45] [#27]

... except there STILL is NO definition of what exactly "occasionally" means, and that's the big problem.
Could be 1/week, 1/month, 1/year, or even longer.   BATF  specifically states there is NO minimum sales number required, and it could be as low as ZERO, depending on their sole judgement.  And again, nothing in what you quoted exempts sales to an FFL and that lack of specificity is intentional to give them latitude to prosecute anyone they like.
View All Quotes

You be sure to send me a link to the first prosecution for making zero transactions, or too many transactions with an FFL.

And what I quoted DID address transactions with dealers.
o As bona fide gifts;
collection;

They can already prosecute anyone they like.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By RockolaM1:
If the ATF is requiring FFL's, they better actually issue FFL's to people without storefronts, operating hours, LLC's, secure storage, etc.

Having two different definitions of who needs an FFL and who they will issue one too isn't going to work in front of an unbiased judge.  I know they don't care about this contradiction.

This also opens the door to challenging the entire FFL licensing scheme, which very clearly fails a Bruen analysis and has no historical analogues.
View Quote

This right here!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:23:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kent] [#29]
You be sure to send me a link to the first prosecution for making zero transactions, or too many transactions with an FFL.

View Quote

"FFL sales are shielded"?  Me and the lawyers who read that come away with a startlingly different interpretation than you do -- especially with the "what is occasionally" being totally undefined.   But you won't let facts right there in the text of the rule dissuade you.  And unfortunately, your faith that the BATF "just wouldn't do that" (implied by your "call me when the prosecute" statement) is tragically misplaced.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:27:37 AM EDT
[#30]
It's all so tiresome.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:56:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Did the countdown to this going into effect officially start yet?
Is May 11th the day?

I am guessing the lawsuits cannot begin until it is actually a thing?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:00:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By naes:
Is May 11th the day?

View Quote

I believe it goes into effect May 19th.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:25:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Elkins45] [#33]

"FFL sales are shielded"?  Me and the lawyers who read that come away with a startlingly different interpretation than you do -- especially with the "what is occasionally" being totally undefined.   But you won't let facts right there in the text of the rule dissuade you.  And unfortunately, your faith that the BATF "just wouldn't do that" (implied by your "call me when the prosecute" statement) is tragically misplaced.
View Quote

Those lawyers only get clicks if they feed the drama. I don't know why your motivation is. I quoted the plain language of the text to you: how is that possibly not good enough?

I don't trust the ATF, I just know past behavior. Until they start prosecuting those guys who have been openly and flagrantly dealing without a license for 20+ years I'm not worried about me selling a rifle every couple of years.

Remember during the Vietnam war when the hippies wore those patches that said "What if they gave a war and nobody came?" Well, what if they gave an ATF panic and nobody participated? Wake me up when people start going to jail. Until then zzzzzzzz...
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#34]
There is a gun show next month that I plan to attend and make a trade for a new item.
Will let you all know how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm going to have to go to the next gun show and see how things look.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By luscioman:
Can one of you retired boomers read the 466 pages and give cliff notes to the busy people paying into your social security.
View Quote

We don't have time for that since it takes most of our time to determine what to spend our SS on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Abramski was a Supreme Court case that stated a straw purchase can occur even if you transfer a firearm to a relative in another state using an FFL, so the ATF is using that for all its worth.

Abramski was a cop who pissed off a bunch of people in his department, so they searched his house and found a check for "Glock" from a relative. They did more digging and found he had bought a Blue Label, shipped it to his relative's neighborhood FFL and the 4473 was completed, but the feds prosecuted him for the straw purchase. He was never charged with any other crime.

The court was 5-4, with the dissent being quite unhappy that everyday conduct was being made illegal. We can thank Kennedy for not understanding how buying a gun works.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By akguy1985:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By akguy1985:
Originally Posted By naes:
Is May 11th the day?

I see a lot of private sales happening before that day.......
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:03:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

Abramski was a Supreme Court case that stated a straw purchase can occur even if you transfer a firearm to a relative in another state using an FFL, so the ATF is using that for all its worth.

Abramski was a cop who pissed off a bunch of people in his department, so they searched his house and found a check for "Glock" from a relative. They did more digging and found he had bought a Blue Label, shipped it to his relative's neighborhood FFL and the 4473 was completed, but the feds prosecuted him for the straw purchase. He was never charged with any other crime.

The court was 5-4, with the dissent being quite unhappy that everyday conduct was being made illegal. We can thank Kennedy for not understanding how buying a gun works.

Kharn
View Quote

They prosecuted him for a straw purchase… because it was a straw purchase.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#40]
With all the drugs, illegals, terrorist, crime, and gangs in the USA, let’s go after this?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kharn:

Kharn

Nothing about that should be illegal. No prohibited persons involved. FFL for both transfers. No profit motive.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:15:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kent] [#42]
Originally Posted By cyclone:
View Quote

I think it's too late for that.  
The law on which the rule is based (Bipartisan Safer Communities Act) was signed back on June 25, 2022.   Several 2A lawyers have given the opinion that the BATF could prosecute for any sales happening after that date.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:23:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kent] [#43]
Those lawyers only get clicks if they feed the drama. I don't know why your motivation is. I quoted the plain language of the text to you: how is that possibly not good enough?

I don't trust the ATF, I just know past behavior. Until they start prosecuting those guys who have been openly and flagrantly dealing without a license for 20+ years I'm not worried about me selling a rifle every couple of years.
(fluff snipped)
View Quote

Because you are STILL ignoring the "occasionally" problem.  Your quoted text doesn't say thing 1 about what 'occasionally' means when it comes to chargeability under this rule.  When it comes to law, words mean things.

If the rule had simply said what "occasionally" meant in real english (how many guns sold in what time period), we wouldn't be having this discussion.  
OR if the rule stated that all sales to an FFL were an exemption to being deemed an "unlicensed dealer", we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Yes, it would STILL be extremely bad law, but at least there would be a way that ordinary people could be reasonably sure they are not in danger of prosecution.

You may do whatever you wish, of course, and ignore that fact at your own peril.  If you want to believe that "occasionally" to the BATF will only mean what YOU think it means, you are free to operate under that assumption.  But it is not supported by the words of the rule.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Because you are STILL ignoring the "occasionally" problem.  Your quoted text doesn't say thing 1 about what 'occasionally' means when it comes to chargeability under this rule.  When it comes to law, words mean things.

If the rule had simply said what "occasionally" meant in real english (how many guns sold in what time period), we wouldn't be having this discussion.  It would STILL be extremely bad law, but at least there would be a way that ordinary people could be reasonably sure they are not in danger of prosecution.

You may do whatever you wish, of course, and ignore that fact at your own peril.
View All Quotes

(fluff snipped)

If the rule had simply said what "occasionally" meant in real english (how many guns sold in what time period), we wouldn't be having this discussion.  It would STILL be extremely bad law, but at least there would be a way that ordinary people could be reasonably sure they are not in danger of prosecution.

You may do whatever you wish, of course, and ignore that fact at your own peril.

This is the obvious problem.  With the definition of that one word, this whole thing wouldn't be a bundle of confusion.  It's almost as if they want it to be vague.  Oh, wait....

That's exactly what they want.  More arrests, more prosecutions.  The main purpose is to intimidate gun owners into being so afraid to do anything that they just give up all their rights.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:26:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cyclone] [#45]

The law on which the rule is based (Bipartisan Safer Communities Act) was signed back on June 25, 2022.   Several 2A lawyers have given the opinion that the BATF could prosecute for any sales happening after that date.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cyclone:

I don't anything changing........it will go on, abeit less out there like earlier. And the legal challenges are soon to come
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#46]
One FINAL Rule

To Rule Them All

No Really The Very Last Rule Ever
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

They don’t have to prosecute anyone to chill free behavior and to create The Great Dogooders Compliance Question Jubilee and Forum Sliding Extravaganza.  You’re in a pre-natal one right now…
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
One FINAL Rule

To Rule Them All

No Really The Very Last Rule Ever
View Quote

Until the next final rule
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Imagine being an ATF employee thinking you help dealers, arrest bad guys and are patriotic. LOL
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:41:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Elkins45] [#50]

View Quote

They define it as the common meaning of the word.

oc·ca·sion·al·ly
/əˈkāZH(ə)nəlē/
adverb
at infrequent or irregular intervals; now and then.

A prosecutor would have to convince a jury that a collector selling 2-3 guns a year exceeds that standard. That’s a tough sell in a red state, especially when they explicitly say hobbyists may continue to buy and sell to enhance their collections.

It must be a terrible thing to live in constant fear that a rogue federal agency will swoop in and ruin your life. I choose not to live that way. I went through it during the big Clinton scare in the 90s and I’m not doing it again. Wake me up when the arrests begin.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top