Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:22:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PacNW5] [#1]
We just got out of it and thought it was very good, definitely Alex Garland's best.  

The scene with Jesse Plemons was the standout. No matter the movie, he can play an understated psychopath so well.

Early in the film, one of the characters makes an offhand remark about the president going down the same road as Qaddafi and Ceaușescu. The ending has a nice callback to that.

If you're expecting a war film, based on the trailers, you're going to be disappointed since it starts slowly and doesn't pick up steam until 45 minutes in. Having said that, the combat scenes are really well done.

I don't think you need to see this in IMAX.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
"It's a danger to Our Democracy".....

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:24:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: metalsaber] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SkyFive:
If it's actually about a civil war, in America, then it's political by default. There has to be two different sides to any war...right? I'm going to presume in this movie it's left vs right.
View Quote
You'd likely be wrong.  Watch the Film Threats 4 min quick review.  It's politically ambiguous.  Both sides are shows as doing bad things.  No good guys. No reason given for how the civil war started.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:

Isn't Nick Offerman the president? He's a screechy shitlib, I don't see him taking a role that's not totally aligned with his garbage politics.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:
Originally Posted By BloodRaven:
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
The previews they have on TV look terrible.

I guarantee you it'll make the right look like a bunch of war-mongers, traitors, and fascists or anarchists.

Isn't Nick Offerman the president? He's a screechy shitlib, I don't see him taking a role that's not totally aligned with his garbage politics.

He’s a leftist douchebag. Guaranteed this is some leftist shitstain wet dream.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]
So it's not revealed who is fighting or what they're fighting about?
View Quote

There were two political references I noticed and they had nothing really to do with the plot.

The political motivations of the western forces and the feds are never addressed. And they are the only two acknowledged/identified factions you are shown. They frequently show you people who have no identifiable faction or clear motive.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PainefulCommonSense:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

@solo
But the more important part...

what is the context of mr red glasses "what kind of american are you?"

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BM1455:

This.  It's garbage bordering on real "insurrection" as it advocates for killing the president, which for all intensive purposes every one knows is supposed to be Trump.
View Quote

"all intents and purposes"
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
Where; in China?  Appropriate flag
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SekFan:
The right has journalists too you know.
Where; in China?  Appropriate flag

I wouldn't call this group right wing or conservative.

I always expect a journalist to screw me eventually, but I tentatively could almost trust them.

Maybe.

Here you go: https://justthenews.com/
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Will this turn into more memes and admiration not intendet by the original author ? Like starship trooper or that farcry5 song
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By HKPDW:

It’s a never-Trumper hit piece.

How is that not apparent?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MilitaryJoe:
Wait I thought the GD hive mind was that this was going to be a good movie? Or is this like the "Rich men from Richmond" song lol.

Well I haven't seen it yet and was going by the meme usage here along with the past comments in postings raving about the movie. I will still see it and the new Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire movie. Hope people do not realize that its a hit piece on Gila Monsters though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#12]
"A big fight broke out between about 150 right-wingers American Patriots and 75 anti-fascists Terrorists"

That's the corrected statement which states the facts.

Don't trust any writer who doesn't use the factual words to describe people.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Well so much for the potential that could have had.

Uncreative writers for the ... whatever.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Blatant leftist propaganda in time for the election.   The libtards are getting desperate!
View Quote

The damncrats are going to use hollyweird films, tv shows, news networks, everything on their side they can. No matter how ridiculous or obvious the lies are. We ain't seen nuthin' yet. They are just warming up, the next few months there is not a thing they will not do to remain in power. Sickening that half the country will swallow it or do not give a damn. Even if it was not President Trump, they would still be doing it to whoever the nominee was. They are completely insane to stay in power.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

The ambiguity is a choice. It's not a movie about current US political divisions, it's a movie about the violence of war, American insulation from that violence, and the exploitative nature of war journalism.

The 2nd civil war is a backdrop. The movie could've been set in the Balkans in the 90s but that's probably already been made and wouldn't make as much.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#16]

The ambiguity is a choice. It's not a movie about current US political divisions, it's a movie about the violence of war, American insulation from that violence, and the exploitative nature of war journalism.

The 2nd civil war is a backdrop. The movie could've been set in the Balkans in the 90s but that's probably already been made and wouldn't make as much.
View All Quotes

It very easily could have illustrated how people who are all legally citizens don't have the same beliefs and aren't really the same thing.

The memes picked that angle up almost instantly, even the geeky ones, like "are you a lord of the rings american, or are you a harry potter american."
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#17]
It is nothing more than a Leftist propaganda hit piece pretending to be a legitimate movie
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
So why pick America and a president who "refuses to step down".
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
We just got out of it and thought it was very good, definitely Alex Garland's best.  

The scene with Jesse Plemons was the standout. No matter the movie, he can play an understated psychopath so well.

Early in the film, one of the characters makes an offhand remark about the president going down the same road as Qaddafi and Ceaușescu. The ending has a nice callback to that.

If you're expecting a war film, based on the trailers, you're going to be disappointed since it starts slowly and doesn't pick up steam until 45 minutes in. Having said that, the combat scenes are really well done.

I don't think you need to see this in IMAX.
View Quote

Thanks for the review, we're going this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:51:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
View Quote

Cause like I said, that's a bigger money maker. There is no hint in the movie of why he won't step down, why people want him to, or how he got to three terms.

People have been talking and thinking about a second civil war, in the mainstream for some time, a movie house capitalized on it for their 'visually striking drama about war correspondents'.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Even if no one goes to see it, the MSM will proclaim it as a masterpiece and smash it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
Which will drum up more attention American civil war 2 or the Balkans being the Balkans part 9753
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I like how everyone here just ignores the people that have seen it because it doesn't jive with their preconceived notion of the movie.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Cause like I said, that's a bigger money maker. There is no hint in the movie of why he won't step down, why people want him to, or how he got to three terms.

People have been talking and thinking about a second civil war, in the mainstream for some time, a movie house capitalized on it for their 'visually striking drama about war correspondents'.
View Quote
Forgive me if I'm jaded with "war correspondants"

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Of course the President would be a conservative, and the journalists are the Good Guys.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PainefulCommonSense] [#26]

I've said it a couple times, but the exploitative nature of war journalism is one of the major themes of the movie. Correspondents are shown to be 'not the good guys they think they are'.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#27]

How about Sebastian Junger, Evan wright, Michael Yon, Robert Pelton?

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:25:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm sure it's leftist Garbage!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:02:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By phatmax:
I am betting it will bomb.

People are legitimately stressed about the ACTUAL state of the country.  

It isn't escapist entertainment to watch a movie like that.
View Quote

That's the biggest reason Titanic bombed when released in 1943 (the German version), amidst the entire country being bombed.  No one wanted to see a disaster film when they could just look outside their houses.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:03:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Riply21:
Which will drum up more attention American civil war 2 or the Balkans being the Balkans part 9753
View All Quotes

PsyOp - gets the MSM talking about it to their NPCs and saying "look how bad a civil war will be, death and destruction, journolists hardest hit, etc, etc. We must do all we can to prevent this, which means vote for FJB."
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:32:46 AM EDT
[#31]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hQBDEosoZs

Looks like a hyped up psyop made especially for Republicans.
View Quote

I love this genre, but that looks absolutely retarded beyond all measure.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Lucifer_Sam:
I'm really not sure what drives conservative meekness in this regard, these people have made it clear they loathe conservatives, and take every opportunity they can to mock and degrade them. With the track record hollywood has the right should examine every thing they do with the most jaundiced eye possible, instead of making excuses for them and the media.
View Quote

The same thing that drives Republicans to roll over: they want to be viewed by everyone as nice, the good guys.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Chisum:
It is nothing more than a Leftist propaganda hit piece pretending to be a legitimate movie
View Quote

Three people who actually saw the movie said that's not the case, but the retards in GD who haven't seen the movie keep debating about it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By CzechMate5:
Can’t wait for the hardened left’s collective fatal heart attacks when Trump is back in office.
View Quote

They used fraud to deny trump the last election what makes you think they wont do it again?🤔
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Lucifer_Sam:
Originally Posted By ERNURSE:
OMG, cant people just go watch a movie for some explosions and shootem up stuff without going psycho political. Not everything has hidden messages. Q didnt make this film.
View Quote
Its hard to believe that there are still people as naive as you around at this point. I mean, they exactly haven't been subtle up to this point.
View Quote
We've reached the stage where almost all of pop culture is propaganda, aimed at heaping hatred, ridicule, and derision on straight, white, conservative, men.
And... that is not hyperbole. The message is everywhere, in everything.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#36]
.... led by California and Texas....   I can't see them combining forces for anything less than other world aliens.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:48:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#37]
Originally Posted By Gr0g:
.... led by California and Texas....   I can't see them combining forces for anything less than other world aliens.
View Quote

It's irrelevant to the movie honestly. The background plot is 'evil president'
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By SnappleFacts:

But I can also be entertained without having to read between the lines of everything....
View Quote

This is important for sanity.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:

It's irrelevant to the movie honestly. The background plot is 'evil president'
View Quote

They purposely left the reasons for the conflict out of the plot as it would only alienate anyone who could see themselves identifying with those reasons. They wanted to appeal to a larger audience but the side effect of that is it lets people fill in the blank with whatever ideas they have due to their own biases. Then you get lib media reviewers tainting reviews with their own opinion of the background instead of telling it like it is resulting in threads like this.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By trails-end:

This is important for sanity.
View Quote

Amen

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:
People who've seen it so far say it's basically "politically beige", with little exploration of the reasons and identities of the factions, and is more about the plucky band of journalists experiencing an American civil war.
View Quote

That's what the "Final Trailer" showed
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Not going to watch it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Everyone that’s seen it says it’s good. Going tomorrow to see it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#44]
And yet another thread says it is nothing of the sort?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Haven't seen Kirsten Dunst in a hot minute..
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Drive ins are still around?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cyclone:

It's playing at a drive in not far from me..............pretty cheap to get into

There's one still operating in Marshall, Arkansas
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Yes. There are 3 near here. The one in Maryville, TN is the closest. There is one in Athens, TN and Loudon, TN.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
Wait I thought the GD hive mind was that this was going to be a good movie? Or is this like the "Rich men from Richmond" song lol.

Okay, for someone that hasn't finished their coffee this morning, please explain to me how it is apparent?  Also, have you seen the movie?  

I have not, so I'd like some reviews.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Dissident:

Okay, for someone that hasn't finished their coffee this morning, please explain to me how it is apparent?  Also, have you seen the movie?  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dissident:

It's a never-Trumper hit piece.

I guarantee you the answer is no.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#50]
I like how everyone here just ignores the people that have seen it because it doesn't jive with their preconceived notion of the movie.
View Quote

Lol.  Do you even GD?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top