Thank you OP!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Great resolution so far.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Seersucker is great.

I should get a new seersucker suit.

Where’s that confounded catmemereadinnewspaperjpg?

Congrats!

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:
FANTASTIC!  And thanks for fighting for your fellow Virginians!  Much appreciated.  

But this also comes to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZnCYtuZtoY
View Quote

Hanlons' Razor does not have a place in Virginia for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Great news OP! And seersucker, Hooters Ashleigh and a beer, what a Friday!

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Defender3:
Great news OP! And seersucker, Hooters Ashleigh and a beer, what a Friday!

View Quote

Phase 2 will be better, and I imagine more challenging.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:41:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: killingmachine123] [#7]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

No, different one. This guy was a really dialed in smart guy Hon. John Tran.

He knew I was in the right before I spoke
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
The judge apologized to me and entered an order granting the license. The judge was well aware of the law, and began the case asking if I had a current license.

I informed him I did and included two copies of the license with my application.

He said the Clerk's office does a great job but they're not perfect and sometimes research can be difficult because the files are sealed. He apologized for the county wasting my time and effort.

I will still be following up with VCDL.

Was it the same judge that denied your initial submission?

Congrats. Glad that it was handled well, albeit after the fact.

It is kind of neat that Johnny Tran was your judge.

The Fast and the Furious (2001) - Meet Johnny Tran Scene (3/10) | Movieclips

ETA: Wrong video...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hxOoM0-NJI

View All Quotes
The judge apologized to me and entered an order granting the license. The judge was well aware of the law, and began the case asking if I had a current license.

I informed him I did and included two copies of the license with my application.

He said the Clerk's office does a great job but they're not perfect and sometimes research can be difficult because the files are sealed. He apologized for the county wasting my time and effort.

Was it the same judge that denied your initial submission?

VCDL lawyer said Fairfax court is a very interesting place. There are a couple shitlibs, but per him there's a bunch of old guys that legit just are 100% all about the law and the tradition. I was prepared for either but got the latter.

The Commonwealth attorney just looked confused and retarded and kinda just did what he said. They didn't really fight against me either, but I imagine you wouldn't if the judge is making the Plaintiff's case for them before they even speak.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats. Hope your next round goes as well as this one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
40 years ago I had a seersucker bathrobe made from that same material. LOL.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mrmissem:
Congrats. Hope your next round goes as well as this one.
View Quote

Thanks man, I'll post the transcript when I get it and I'll keep you guys updated with talks I plan to have with both VCDL as well as Virginian Constitutional lawyers.

Even if it's a mistake; and again the judge was very reasonable, there needs to be something put in place that every person can point to without needing to hire a lawyer. This will be especially important in turbulent counties like Fairfax, Arlington, Loudoun, and Henrico.

We absolutely need to get the small victories to offset the small losses. We cannot assume or count on a refuge policy in how we deal with firearms rights. Unsurprisingly, the Virginia Constitution is better than the federal one in this manner.

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#12]
The cities are getting control of our legislature, there's no doubt that is a huge problem. But I think there's a VERY strong legal tradition in Virginia that requires more attention and action. VCDL is doing their part, but I also think a large part of it just needs to be us getting off our ass and taking the time.

VCDL got a lot of illegal "no guns" signs taken down in parks, but really the citizens of that town should do that.

The more we do the small stuff, the more money VCDL has to do the expensive stuff like fight stuff in Appellate Courts and the Commonwealth of Virginia Supreme Court. That is my thought on it, anyways.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats.

Continue to do the needful!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

My only experience with Fairfax ended up with a few fire marshals coming up here to witness some tests. I'm sure their expectations were that we were pulling some kind of scam or fraud, by the time they got done looking at our data and testing, we at least could work with them.

They drove Chevy Corsicas with Recaro seats. I still remember that and it's still weird as shit.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
Congrats.

Continue to do the needful!
View Quote

Thanks brother, we need to shoot again soon
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Thanks brother, we need to shoot again soon
View Quote

You got my number.

Hit me up!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#18]
The cities are getting control of our legislature, there's no doubt that is a huge problem. But I think there's a VERY strong legal tradition in Virginia that requires more attention and action. VCDL is doing their part, but I also think a large part of it just needs to be us getting off our ass and taking the time.

VCDL got a lot of illegal "no guns" signs taken down in parks, but really the citizens of that town should do that.

The more we do the small stuff, the more money VCDL has to do the expensive stuff like fight stuff in Appellate Courts and the Commonwealth of Virginia Supreme Court. That is my thought on it, anyways.
View Quote

This has been one of the most annoying features of the Dem takeover several years back.  Is there info on the VCDL site about the removal of signs at parks?  Point me in the right direction for more information.  I haven't heard about that effort and I'm pretty dialed in on things here.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:

This has been one of the most annoying features of the Dem takeover several years back.  Is there info on the VCDL site about the removal of signs at parks?  Point me in the right direction for more information.  I haven't heard about that effort and I'm pretty dialed in on things here.
View All Quotes

I think they smashed most of them up already, that was a few years ago
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Well, there was this, which you should totally not do, even in Minecraft.

Also, the NRA is suing Fairfax over the parks ban.

The case is LaFave vs. County of Fairfax.  

Outside of that, I think Arlington intentionally put their signs on cardboard stock that melts in the rain so they could say they did something but not have to deal with it.  That's per my conversations with some Arlington PD in meatspace.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mbg0001:

Outside of that, I think Arlington intentionally put their signs on cardboard stock that melts in the rain so they could say they did something but not have to deal with it.  That's per my conversations with some Arlington PD in meatspace.
View All Quotes

Much obliged.  I do remember that situation with folks shooting at the signs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#22]
BTW this is a pretty cool Fairfax judge as well from 20 years ago. There's still a few here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/2005/11/11/bill-a-response-to-fairfax-judge-who-threw-out-dwi-cases/5d3a288e-5ab3-4c61-87f3-8e7ddd326a92/
View Quote

Do you know if the law they proposed passed? Seems like a b.s. temper tantrum to me but I couldn't find anything on the judge-shopping law
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Which reminds me - at the FFX board meeting where they took up the gun ban, the vote was to "investigate the cost." IIRC the signs started going up before the next meeting. Which would mean they pulled money unofficially from somewhere to pay for them, like the schools budget. We ought to FOIA that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:36:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#24]

View All Quotes

The signs at the park down the street from my house were gone in less than 72hrs and have never been replaced.

ETA: I'm in Alexandria
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#25]

The signs at the park down the street from my house were gone in less than 72hrs and have never been replaced.

View Quote

I thought the waterfront and Torpedo Factory area had permanent signs, as did the park next to it where people keep getting robbed at gunpoint.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By iamthesgt:

Do you know if the law they proposed passed? Seems like a b.s. temper tantrum to me but I couldn't find anything on the judge-shopping law
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iamthesgt:
BTW this is a pretty cool Fairfax judge as well from 20 years ago. There's still a few here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/2005/11/11/bill-a-response-to-fairfax-judge-who-threw-out-dwi-cases/5d3a288e-5ab3-4c61-87f3-8e7ddd326a92/

I don't.

I just remember that case both because the judge has an AWESOME view of traditional Virginian law, and it's just hilarious because his name is a total Irish stereotype and he was tossing alcohol charges.

Of chose Ian McFlarehty doesn't like booze crimes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By homeyclaus:

Which reminds me - at the FFX board meeting where they took up the gun ban, the vote was to "investigate the cost." IIRC the signs started going up before the next meeting. Which would mean they pulled money unofficially from somewhere to pay for them, like the schools budget. We ought to FOIA that.
View All Quotes

Now that is interesting.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:46:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: apexcrusade] [#28]

I thought the waterfront and Torpedo Factory area had permanent signs, as did the park next to it where people keep getting robbed at gunpoint.
View All Quotes

Isn't Old Town pretty much off limits if carrying?  I used to go there on a regular basis but don't want to feed the commies any longer since this BS regulation was put into place.  It's the 'adjacent streets' provision that has everything screwed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

The Torpedo Factory had non official signs years before, but I think they were phrased as "please don't", rather than state guns were prohibited outright.

That said, I haven't been down there in years, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were freelancing their own signs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Isn't Old Town pretty much off limits if carrying?  I used to go there on a regular basis but don't want to feed the commies any longer since this BS regulation was put into place.
View All Quotes

Isn't Old Town pretty much off limits if carrying?  I used to go there on a regular basis but don't want to feed the commies any longer since this BS regulation was put into place.

No - the park in front of city hall is posted as conspicuously as student driver signs are on a Honda Odyssey driven my a 60 year old Karen. I guess it's to keep them from bitching. And the park areas including the Torpedo factory. They can't ban it on the regular sidewalks yet.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

I'm in Del Ray, and don't spend much time in Old Town, so you may be correct. The signs that went up in DR were the corrugated plastic carboard ones zip tied to fences. Alexandria was giddy once preemption was removed so they could pass all the "feel safe" bullshit laws they wanted to, all while still needing to have a PD camera and Shot Spotter in the "affordable housing" projects near the Post Office on Wythe. Seems gunshots are an issue in that area, but I don't see no gun signs, so that must be the cause....
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#32]

I'm in Del Ray, and don't spend much time in Old Town, so you may be correct. The signs that went up in DR were the corrugated plastic carboard ones zip tied to fences. Alexandria was giddy once preemption was removed so they could pass all the "feel safe" bullshit laws they wanted to, all while still needing to have a PD camera and Shot Spotter in the "affordable housing" projects near the Post Office on Wythe. Seems gunshots are an issue in that area, but I don't see no gun signs, so that must be the cause....
View Quote

They started with Kinko's prints in 3 ring plastic sheet covers, went to corrugated plastic. I didn't inspect any of the signs last time my wife dragged me through there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#33]

No - the park in front of city hall is posted as conspicuously as student driver signs are on a Honda Odyssey driven my a 60 year old Karen. I guess it's to keep them from bitching. And the park areas including the Torpedo factory. They can't ban it on the regular sidewalks yet.
View All Quotes

I know there are some specific rules about signage - needs to be clearly posted at all entrances, etc.  I thought sidewalks were in the 'adjacent street' areas - the ban includes streets/areas adjacent to permitted events or something and Old Town probably has a myriad of their own rules.  Bottom line is it would be a clusterfox to get jammed up due to the vagaries of the ordinance.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Just got caught up.  Well done, Whiskers.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Whiskers the cat didn't kill himself!

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#36]
As a product of Fairfax Country Public Schools, I applaud you.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:11:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mbg0001] [#37]

I know there are some specific rules about signage - needs to be clearly posted at all entrances, etc.  I thought sidewalks were in the 'adjacent street' areas - the ban includes streets/areas adjacent to permitted events or something and Old Town probably has a myriad of their own rules.  Bottom line is it would be a clusterfox to get jammed up due to the vagaries of the ordinance.
View Quote

Thing about most of the Fairfax Parks is that it's almost impossible to post every entrance. There are also issues with them legally posting on parks where they cross jurisdictional boundaries.  Not that they can't, but they need to coordinate with the other municipalities, which they haven't.

So all the parks where residential backyards have their own entrances are theoretically exempt.  As is the CCT, though they do post parts of it.

All that said, I don't think it would stop an arrest, but might prevail in court.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Thing about most of the Fairfax Parks is that it's almost impossible to post every entrance. There are also issues with them legally posting on parks where they cross jurisdictional boundaries.  Not that they can't, but they need to coordinate with the other municipalities, which they haven't.

So all the parks where residential backyards have their own entrances are theoretically exempt.  As is the CCT, though they do post parts of it.

All that said, I don't think it would stop an arrest, but might prevail in court.
View All Quotes

Rumor has it that in most cases the police departments have been ordered to trespass people out, rather than charge the misdemeanor and seize the firearm. This might be because it's easier, or because the DA's know that things will get struck down if someone otherwise non-criminal would get standing to challenge the law.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

I have never heard of “The Virginia Gray Ranks.”

What proof is there that any 2A group did this?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

I have never heard of “The Virginia Gray Ranks.”

What proof is there that any 2A group did this?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/IMG_3063_jpeg-3207257.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/IMG_3064_jpeg-3207258.JPG
View Quote

Are you implying that an immigration and extremism reporter might not get the facts straight before publishing a scandalous allegation?

Harrumph I say.

Harrumph.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

@WhiskersTheCat

I wanted to publicly thank you in this thread.

Congratulations on putting up a fight for all our
2A rights, regardless of which county we live in.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:

@WhiskersTheCat

I wanted to publicly thank you in this thread.

Congratulations on putting up a fight for all our
2A rights, regardless of which county we live in.

View Quote

Right now nothing of value has happened. Yet
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#45]
So I submitted my permit renewal with only 40 days until expiration and three days before expiration. I received a denial letter because I forgot to check one of the question boxes so I filled out the form they gave me and got it notarized answering the question and mailed it back and didn’t have a permit for a week and a half, but my replacement came today.

I’m Fairfax county.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Currahee:
As a product of Fairfax Country Public Schools, I applaud you.
View Quote

Hayfield High. ‘76
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#47]

I like the the judge who agreed with me is the judge who signed both the order and permit. I'm still waiting on my transcript, I should probably email them. I'll get that to VCDL whenever it arrives.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#48]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20240518_125813-3217330.jpg

I like the the judge who agreed with me is the judge who signed both the order and permit. I'm still waiting on my transcript, I should probably email them. I'll get that to VCDL whenever it arrives.
View Quote

Would be cooler if the judge that signed your denial paperwork had to sign this one.

Way to see it through.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:19:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: am6186] [#49]
Whiskers,

I received my approved permit yesterday in the mail; dated ETA 5/13/2024.

Hopefully what you did "corrected" the "error" at the clerks office :)

Thanks again! Fairfax County as well
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 12
Top Top