Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Put on a disguise if anyone comes knocking and tell them that there were squatters here on the day in question but they have since left and took their dog with them.

Plan B, shut off the lights and hide in the closet whenever anyone comes knocking.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Who leaves their front door open without some kind of screen/storm door?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll probably get a text for all future deliveries saying something like "An Amazon driver needs your help with a delivery. Please secure your pets."

My prediction is that nothing legal will come of it and the Angus peppering can be postponed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Duke117:
First off,,, shut up.

Single party consent state? Say nothing on the phone without consulting an attorney.
You know better than to offer a written statement without counsel.

Drop a few hundred preemptively for a legal opinion prior to answering any oral/written inquiry.
Sorry it happened but do not take advice from random internet people and proactively protect your family and dog..
View Quote
You're dog is effectively retarded.  And this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:
It's Colorado, a step above Washington.   If you were here in one of the liberal ass counties, I'd say pepper the something.  

'
 Most of us here would probably have said fuck it and not report it, least I would pending the wound.  Good luck.
View Quote

My step mom got bit by a dog that was on the loose in the neighborhood.  They knew where the lived because it had barked at her and my dad often while they were walking.  This was King County and court was involved,  it was a huge mess.  Dog was a black lab by the way and she was not the first person it has bit.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Gulftanker:

Like I said in the OP, he's never bitten before and he's never endangered anybody.

Besides, I've never seen a "Friendly Dog" sign before. Is there a better way for me to indicate that there's a dog here?
Plus, it would look really bad if I made a "Friendly Doggie Lives Here" sign and then he bites...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azjeeper:
"Beware of dog". Why, because you knew he was aggressive?
Playing devil's advocate, a lawywer would ask this question.

Originally Posted By ske714:
So you acknowledge that your dog is dangerous, and that you were aware of it?

Like I said in the OP, he's never bitten before and he's never endangered anybody.

Besides, I've never seen a "Friendly Dog" sign before. Is there a better way for me to indicate that there's a dog here?
Plus, it would look really bad if I made a "Friendly Doggie Lives Here" sign and then he bites...

I totally get where you're coming from. You are on this awesome website so I assume you have the wherewithal to put yourself in the delivery persons shoes. They go through this crap all day and then a dog bites them and they get to go home bloody. That's just kind of how it looks man. And it sounds like a s***** job. I would never do it lol.

Hopefully you will squeak by and nothing will happen to the handsome pup. But the fact is that it bit somebody and that's not cool. Unless they were trying to take your stuff or something. And then how can a stupid handsome dog delineate between somebody giving you stuff and taking your stuff lol. It's a s*** show brother. I wish you the best.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PiccoloPlayer:
You'll probably get a text for all future deliveries saying something like "An Amazon driver needs your help with a delivery. Please secure your pets."

My prediction is that nothing legal will come of it and the Angus peppering can be postponed.
View Quote

I've been getting those texts lately and don't have a dog. I have heard one barking the last few months but haven't seen it.

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
We put a box outside our gate so no delivery driver has to go in our yard ever.  More than one delivery driver has commented about how nice it is not to have to go in a yard with a dog.    I built it too deep though and ammo shipments are a pain in the ass to get out of it.  I may need a false bottom in it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SuperX925:
I’m sure there was no way of knowing AG was coming that day and about what time, so sure let’s leave the front door open so your land shark can get some exercise.  

Totally avoidable situation with the smallest amount of intelligence.
View Quote

Yeah,
We'd already had an Amazon delivery this morning - didn't expect anything else to show up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Op deletes in 3.....2......1......
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes
The facts:

We do have a Beware of the Dog sign on the fence next to the gate.

"Beware of dog" doesn't imply the dog is dangerous,  it is a warning and caution to people, to a possible dangerous situation.  
Most dogs are nice, but if you step into their yard as a stranger, they will typically react. Many dogs will bark aggressively, or move towards a stranger. Most dogs are all bark, no bite,  but the warning is the same... not that the dog is knowingly dangerous, but that any stranger walking into a gated yard that has a dog should be warned, hence,  "Beware of dog".
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
Who leaves their front door open without some kind of screen/storm door?
View Quote

Apparently you didn't read my reply in post #26:

"We almost never leave the door open, but our other old geezer dog had been asking to go out over and over, and since it was 80 degrees today I just decided to leave it open for him. Then of course this happens... "
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rlm0n0] [#13]
Okay. What I would do at this point is go get a stray dog from the Stray Dog place. Take your real dog over to your sister's house for a week or two and wait for them to come and murder your newly acquired stray dog.

Ps
Just spitballing here.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:04:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#14]

Yeah,
We'd already had an Amazon delivery this morning - didn't expect anything else to show up.
View Quote

@Gulftanker

OP.. re-read my post #48.

You admitted negligence in you first post and negated any future defense.. DON’T DO THAT .

Nuke this thread and remove any nexus between you and the incident.
You are hamstringing your future lawyer if it comes to that..
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#15]

You admitted negligence in you first post and negated any future defense.. DON’T DO THAT .

View All Quotes

Yeah,

No don't let him do that. How will we be amused in general discussion if everything goes like that? He's got this s*** man.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:06:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anesvick] [#16]
Who knows, Amazon is weird to deal with..  They gave us $500 to fix the grass when their driver buried his truck up to the axles trying to turn around in our front yard.  Almost no questions asked, just had to fill out a complaint form.  

I would keep an eye on your mailbox and emailbox, see if you hear anything from them.  There's a good chance you will never hear anything, but if you do, don't be surprised.  I wouldn't worry too much about animal control, they will probably just want to know if your dog had it's shots, and the only way they would find out is if dude goes to the hospital ER and they report the dog bite, probably won't happen if he goes to a doc in a box.  If you get a letter, seek consultation with a lawyer, and whatever you do, try to keep your homeowners insurance the fuck out of the situation... that will only cost you money and headache.

Finally, not trying to be a dick, but you have a dog that has husky in is blood, why in the blue fuck would you leave the front door open? (Don't answer that, its rhetorical question, just something to think about)

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Idk but I watched your avatar for awhile
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Do you want the real answer?  If the driver reports it, which he may not because at the end of the day all he wants is to fucking go home and not fuck around with paperwork, then a notation will be made that will pop up on all future deliveries warning of a dangerous dog. Drivers will start leaving packages outside your gate. The very worst case is that Amazon will cease all future deliveries to your address and you will be forced to use an Amazon drop box at your local convenience store.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By rlm0n0:
Okay. What I would do at this point is go get a stray dog from the Stray Dog place. Take your real dog over to your sister's house for a week or two and wait for them to come and murder your newly acquired stray dog.

Ps
Just spitballing here.
View Quote

That is actually an intelligent answer if things did progress.  

I don't think he'll have anything to worry about, but def a good backup plan!
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By engineer201:
Expect a call from Amazon seeking to determine a way forward.  They will be less interested in liability and more interested in ways to prevent in future.

Most likely you will be asked for a reassurance that dog is confined and/or a request to have a package drop box installed at gate going forward.  Amazon is still interested in preserving a customer.  Worse case you will have UPS deliver a day late from now on…but I doubt that would happen here.
View Quote

What world do you live in
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#21]
What kind of weirdo leaves the front door of the house wide open.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#22]
A friend's dog bit a woman jogger on the ass (not a pitbull!)  She sued, got medical costs plus maybe $15k pain & suffering.  Their insurance handled it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Dogsoldier03:

View All Quotes

Ps
Just spitballing here.

Oh crap man. I feel bad for him. Dogs are family members and we love them. But they just can't go around biting people. And I truly understand having them for security. I'm not even being tongue in cheek. That's exactly what I would do. And then not let my beloved dog bite someone again lol.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By stpeteaustin:
Jeff is coming for you.
View Quote

Rabid billionaire just spends the rest of his days getting revenge

Biting hands, asses, whatever target of opportunity
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Oh crap man. I feel bad for him. Dogs are family members and we love them. But they just can't go around biting people. And I truly understand having them for security. I'm not even being tongue in cheek. That's exactly what I would do. And then not let my beloved dog bite someone again lol.
View All Quotes

Ps
Just spitballing here.

I mean, honestly, its not a bad idea....
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#26]
When we get bit at work we generally tell the supervisor and he makes contact with the owners, sees what vet they use, and then contacts them to make sure they're up to date on shots. That's as far as it's gone for me. Occasionally someone will go to doc if it's really bad and work pays for it. I've never heard of the owners having to be financially responsible for the company I work at.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:12:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rlm0n0] [#27]
Let it be known that I called nuke on this like 15 minutes ago. Guaranteed there's a shelter nearby lol. Hate to be that guy but it is what it is.

Eta

If it's nuked we will all say prayers for the nearby shelter dogs. Keep your goddamn meat missile contained lol.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:
I’m not sure the beware of dog sign will be helpful. I would expect you to be liable for medical costs and lost time at work
View Quote

Yep. Your dog, your yard, your scheduled delivery, your problem.

Hope it doesn’t cost you too much in attorney fees and settlement, but having a dog that bites anyone that comes in the yard is about as dumb as setting up a robogun sentry. And I say that as a dog owner.

They aren’t humans, it isn’t “their” yard. It’s your yard and you’re about to get a valuable lesson in how much liablility there is in keeping animals that attack humans on sight. Not trying to be edgy, but this is what it really boils down to.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#29]
dog bite puncture wounds carry about 15-20% risk to become infected; hopefully he sought attention from a medical provider and was prescribed Augmentin for prophylaxis
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#30]
3.... 2.....1......
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#31]
If your dog is currently vaccinated. Likely home Quarantine for 10 days.

That's about it. They may refuse to enter the property for future deliveries.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#32]
In CO, he’ll likely go to the hospital or other clinic for care, medical staff in our state are required by law to report the bite to LE. It’ll be up to the delivery driver if he wants to pursue ownership of a dangerous dog charges, which he likely won’t. You will be expected to quarantine the dog for 10 days after the bite. That can generally happen at your house but some jurisdictions may take the dog to a holding facility
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Your home owners insurance company will settle out of court. Then they will drop you.
It sucks, been there.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Yeah, shots are all current. If he'd mentioned wanting to go to the urgent care, we'd have offered to handle it. He didn't seem like he was hurt too bad and was mostly interested in getting back to his route.
View Quote

Dude was high AF and didn’t want to lose his job?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Amazon's Workers compensation insurance will go after you and hence subrogated to your insurer.

As others have mentioned, your rates will go up and you may lose your insurance.

No clue about your doggo.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:34:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Whiskey1Alpha] [#36]
Neighbor had the exact same thing happen with the Amazon guy. Usually pretty well behaved dog bit onto the guy's arm and let go but enough for it to bleed.

Said he'd need to do paperwork and everything else was ok.

Neighbors never heard a thing from the driver, Amazon or anyone about it ever again.

If you do, don't admit to shit and even take this post down. Let your insurance handle it all.

Worse case they drop you and you shop for new insurance.

To be on the safe side, I would not under any circumstances allow your dog to play/be outside by himself at all for quite some time. First to make sure something like this doesn't happen again. Second, just to make sure someone isn't called to make a visit and you find out as they are taking the dog.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Be ready for orders for the dog to be put down. Also, if you get any contact, get a lawyer right away.
View Quote

This is what I would expect.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I forgot to mention the ironic part - I was actually browsing first-aid kits on Amazon when it happened.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I forgot to mention the ironic part - I was actually browsing first-aid kits on Amazon when it happened.
View Quote

I hope things turn out well for you and your dog, I’ll be moving along.
If you’re not going to nuke this thread as advised, I’m not going to help keep it alive..
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a low opinion of idiots who order shit and leave an aggressive dog out.

Prepare your angus, what's your homeowners limit?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Not saying I'd take the dog to a trusted friend's home for a while, and also not saying I got rid of the dog because he was dangerous, no not me never.

Then again, I care about my dog a lot and would go to hell and back for her, she saved my life and I'd return the favor.

You're in a tough spot, I hope it works out for you and your beautiful pup, oh and get rid of that sign on the fence, it will get you destroyed in a court case.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Amazon guy STACKED

You and your dog : FUCKED
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azjeeper:
"Beware of dog". Why, because you knew he was aggressive?
Playing devil's advocate, a lawywer would ask this question.

I had a bunch of snarky responses to this, but you would be much better served by having a no trespassing sign and get all of your Amazon/UPS packages out of a dropbox. Mailman will leave you a note if he has something too big for the mailbox.  

And, your door was open?  Please.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#44]
All depends. Amazon is well known for not giving a fuck about their employees.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#45]
You probably won’t get your Amazon packages anymore.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#46]
I carry for usps and if I see a dog sign I don’t go across the gate.  If I see a dog and an open gate you don’t get your package.  I have had deliveries where the owners let their dog out when I knock on their door(mostly by accident).  They now get to pick up all their packages at the post office.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Did be shoot your dog?

Seems to be acceptable these days.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By bigtex84:
I carry for usps and if I see a dog sign I don’t go across the gate.  If I see a dog and an open gate you don’t get your package.  I have had deliveries where the owners let their dog out when I knock on their door(mostly by accident).  They now get to pick up all their packages at the post office.
View Quote

You don't get paid to get bit or  stressed out because of a dog.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Be ready for orders for the dog to be put down. Also, if you get any contact, get a lawyer right away.
View Quote

Highly doubt that. Minor bite on the hand on your own property? You aren't going to be ordered to put it down.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Ideally nothing bad will happen but quit being so fucking irresponsible.  JFC dude,  keep your dogs restrained.  Monitored and safe 100% of the time.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top