BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:48:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmishElectrician] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By azjeeper:
"Beware of dog". Why, because you knew he was aggressive?
Playing devil's advocate, a lawywer would ask this question.
View Quote

Makes ya wonder why did the AG go in? If I was them I'd say fuck it, if this person cared enough to put up a sign about their dog being a fur missile, why would you even bother to step foot past the fence? This person can get their package another way because I would mark it "unable to deliver" or throw it over the fence, if that was the only way available to attempt to make a delivery

I'm not stepping foot into a marked viper pit
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:50:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#2]
Take your dog elsewhere if you can. What dog? There's more than one to skin a cat so to speak. If they order the dog put down they'll have to find it.

Or do nothing and see what happens. Guessing a lot of it will depend on where you live.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:51:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MachRider] [#3]
Time to put down the dog
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:52:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
Eh, probably nothing. My former coworker in a government position, was bit by a huge-ass GSD while in the field. Work took care of her. She didn't want to pursue the matter. A few years ago my old man's little dog bit the mail carrier. All USPS did was issue final warning and made him put a mail box up at the edge of his property.

Personally, if a dog bit me while I was delivering a package on their property, I'd visit an injury lawyer asap. People really need to learn how to control their stupid dogs.
View Quote

WTF! This is why ins and medical cost what it does. You always have these people out for money. Pathetic
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:54:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Your AMZ packages on the street side of the gate, for one.

Otherwise, everyone pretty much has it covered.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:59:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#6]
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:
Where I live, animal control insists on dog being quarantined at home for 10 days.  If your homeowner's insurance gets involved, they could cancel, but that really depends on the circumstances.
View Quote

Same here dog is put on bite quarantine. Rarely is a dog ordered euthanized over a bite report.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Eh, probably nothing. My former coworker in a government position, was bit by a huge-ass GSD while in the field. Work took care of her. She didn't want to pursue the matter. A few years ago my old man's little dog bit the mail carrier. All USPS did was issue final warning and made him put a mail box up at the edge of his property.

Personally, if a dog bit me while I was delivering a package on their property, I'd visit an injury lawyer asap. People really need to learn how to control their stupid dogs.
View Quote

Dog was on private property, fenced and posted.  What the fuck else do you want?

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:03:12 AM EDT
[#8]
"It wasn't our dog. We saw a dog bite the amazon guy and rendered first aid".  Take your beware of dog sign down now and police the yard for for every piece of dog poop you can find.  Anything the AG testifies about thinking it was your dog is to be taken with suspicious as he was just in a traumatic incident and possibly suffering from shock.

Or be prepared to put your dog down when the man comes knocking.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:03:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MachRider:
Time to put down the dog
View Quote

Wrong
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Ideally nothing bad will happen but quit being so fucking irresponsible.  JFC dude,  keep your dogs restrained.  Monitored and safe 100% of the time.
View Quote

Lol, read much?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:05:13 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Some dogs are kept as protection.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:07:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rlm0n0:

This is a bit crass but probably where I am at. Why does delivery guy have to deal with getting bit from time to time? It's kind of silly.
View Quote

Why does delivery guy have to enter gated and posted property? Ours drops packages inside gate.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:11:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Ideally nothing bad will happen but quit being so fucking irresponsible.  JFC dude,  keep your dogs restrained.  Monitored and safe 100% of the time.
View Quote

hell yea, no one wants to take responsibility for their own fuckups, kids, dogs, carelessness, ect.

nice to see you are worried about yourself, more than the Driver, that speaks volumes about your character, you gave permission to come on you property by purchasing from Amazon and allowing delivery. You can pickup AZ shipments, at a variety of places, just not as convenient. But that is your choice not the drivers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:15:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:
Highly doubt that. Minor bite on the hand on your own property? You aren't going to be ordered to put it down.
View Quote

"Ordered"?   Maybe not.  

But it could be required that you put it down or get rid of it in order for your homeowners or other liability insurance to continue.  And that's no idle threat.

It used to be that insurance would cover the 1st bite incident.   But after that, if that dog ever bit anyone again, you'd have ZERO liability coverage.   Someone sued you for a million dollars because your dog bites them ... you're on your own.  I doubt the situation has become more lenient since then.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not even positive the drivers work for Amazon. I looked into being an Amazon contractor, but just like being a big truck fleet owner, my income/life would be in the hands of bottom of the barrel retards. Not to mention I'd have to buy/lease the Sprinters through Amazon. And that screams a bad deal. WC is probably through some Amazon deal too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:20:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
"It wasn't our dog. We saw a dog bite the amazon guy and rendered first aid".  Take your beware of dog sign down now and police the yard for for every piece of dog poop you can find.  Anything the AG testifies about thinking it was your dog is to be taken with suspicious as he was just in a traumatic incident and possibly suffering from shock.

View Quote

OP is at fault 100% from his own story.  
So the suggested solution is to be a lying scumbag to escape his responsibility?

Wow.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:45:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Kent:

So the suggested solution is to be a lying scumbag to escape his responsibility?

Wow.
View Quote

Agreed !

I was always proud to be a member of a forum, with like minded people, but members thinking, it is right, lying to cover your ass, HUMMM. not so proud now.
This country is in a mess and that kind of thinking is responsible for that. So before you call yourself a patriotic American, look in the mirror, then delete your profile, so we can be proud of this forum again... PLEASE help this country, instead of adding to the selfishness that is ruining it for responsible people.

TIP for all members: if you have kids or friends with kids, once they get to be your age, would you be PROUD of them if they handled issues the way you do, or did in the past? if your honest answer is NO, then there still is hope for you, do what is right, "when there is doubt there is NO doubt" (movie Ronin)

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:56:38 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Your username is very appropriate.

Did you vote for Biden, by chance?
Personal responsibility at an all time low.....
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:06:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Wow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Wow.

Yeah a whole lot of people suggesting the OP be a complete dirt bag and duck his responsibilities.

It absolutely won't work either. There's the physical evidence of the bite and the victim has all the information. Amazon tracks every move those guys make, every minute of every day.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:08:16 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Whenever dog owners lie after an attack, it never sounds as good as it did in their head.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:12:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JamesJones:

I've been getting those texts lately and don't have a dog. I have heard one barking the last few months but haven't seen it.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JamesJones:
Originally Posted By PiccoloPlayer:
You'll probably get a text for all future deliveries saying something like "An Amazon driver needs your help with a delivery. Please secure your pets."

My prediction is that nothing legal will come of it and the Angus peppering can be postponed.

I've been getting those texts lately and don't have a dog. I have heard one barking the last few months but haven't seen it.

I randomly get them, don’t have a dog.  Might want to check local ordnances and notify your homeowners insurance.  Do I have a dog was one of the homeowners questions I was asked, hopefully they don’t drop you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:14:39 AM EDT
[#22]
My wife's grandmothers dog bit a UPS guy. Little white Pomeranian never bit anyone before that. They filed their report with UPS,They filed with the county. County came and requested us to quarantine the dog for 30 or 40 days.
Never heard anything after that.
It was a whole process and worrying though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:28:31 AM EDT
[#23]
You might get a ticket also from the county dog warden if you have one ot someone that does it for the sheriff.

My dad got a ticket for like $200 in the late 80s for his dog supposedly biting a dude walking down a very rural road at 3 am. He ended up paying for the guys shoes(dog bit through them into his foot), and a small dr bill, and maybe $100 extra so he wouldnt push the issue further to make him whole, and a ticket.

Also had to show a vaccinated record even back then for rabies. Luckily he had it done that year, my family was in the process of moving there from a state away.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:05:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pogo55] [#24]
In NC there is pretty much a strict liability on dogs. My wife was bitten by a dog that she knew
and interacted with before. Bite was out of nowhere. Punctures in arm and she went to urgent
care where she got a tetanus shot. She did not want the police or animal control in on it.

edit: the dog's owner was walking it on the road at the time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:05:43 AM EDT
[#25]
When I was young, I remember when a solicitor rang the doorbell and when my mom answered it the man introduced himself and he tried to shake my moms hand and out of nowhere our German Shepard lunged at him and bit his hand.
About a week later the sheriff came to take our dog to be euthanized.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I have read the Beware of dog signs are not good. Basically says you know your dog is vicuous.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#27]
One thing I don't understand is why AG didn't have time to get behind the gate when he saw the dog running at him.

Is the dog that fast?
Did AG not see the dog?
Is the gate 6 feet from the front door?
Did AG think the dog was coming for a treat and a pat on the head?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#28]
My dog is an asshole to the delivery people too. I make sure all packages have a note to leave them at the end of the driveway under the mailbox (outside the dog fence).

Not worth the risk.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:31:25 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
Yep as I was told once  , the beware of dog sign is  an admission that you are aware your dog is a danger. A better sign would be "caution dogs" sorry OP thats all I got .
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, herding dogs shouldn't be kept in a house?
That is a working dog, and you seem shocked that it tried to herd someone.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:25:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: talan] [#31]
Edited
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Gulftanker:

Like I said in the OP, he's never bitten before and he's never endangered anybody.

Besides, I've never seen a "Friendly Dog" sign before. Is there a better way for me to indicate that there's a dog here?
Plus, it would look really bad if I made a "Friendly Doggie Lives Here" sign and then he bites...
View Quote

We have a doormat that says. "Friendly Dog Lives Down The Block".
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:46:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#33]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Be ready for orders for the dog to be put down. Also, if you get any contact, get a lawyer right away.
View Quote

This

Neighbors dog scratched another neighbors son and the shit storm lasted for weeks. It happened inside dog owners house and the dog was defending another child. The county and animal control were involved. Dog was saved after lawyer negotiated for an apology letter written to the scratched childs parents.

Needless to say dog owner doesn't allow any neighbors children to visit anymore.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By eracer:
One thing I don't understand is why AG didn't have time to get behind the gate when he saw the dog running at him.

Is the dog that fast?
Did AG not see the dog?
Is the gate 6 feet from the front door?
Did AG think the dog was coming for a treat and a pat on the head?
View Quote

I'd take it he expected the dog to be in the yard, didn't expect the front door to the house to be wide open. After first approaching the gate, and then probably after the first few steps in with no dog he thought he was safe
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By creeper45:
Yep as I was told once  , the beware of dog sign is  an admission that you are aware your dog is a danger. A better sign would be "caution dogs" sorry OP thats all I got .
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By creeper45:

Eh, I still have a beware of dog sign up and I don't even have a dog right now.

I didn't say it was MY dog to beware of now did I? Just ''beware of dog.''
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:56:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: porcupickle] [#36]
OP,
If you have the chance to find a dog trainer I would recommend one that your vet recommends that has experience with reactivity. Beckman's Dog Training has several videos on it and it's fairly easy to work with you just need patience and the desire to make sure your dog knows that you are  the dominant alpha in your home. I believe that dogs do this when they have a low threshold with reactivity and are not sure of their place in the pack in your home.

I would put up an electric fence and also consider using E-Collar Training. If you have the fence up with the flags it is very obvious to people and is very defined line and will also tell delivery people not to cross into your yard. I wouldn't look at them as shock collars or that you are hurting your dog. The thresh hold for pain goes up with adrenaline rushes like that. Aussies aren't known for agonistic threshold being intense but they are highly biddable dogs so you should not have a problem redirecting the dog to a better task if you work on reactivity training. I believe their reactivity threshold will go down if you can get your dog adequate mental and physical exercise.

If anyone tries to bring up that your dog is interently dangerous and needs to be put down look through this study on this Nurture vs Nature with dogs it should provide you with enough information to show someone that it isn't based on anything besides correcting socialization and reactivity. Technically your job which you are doing now.  https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abk0639
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, all depends on the amazon guy.

If he does not report it to his managers they can deny any medical claim or terminate his job.

As one mentioned, a "Beware of dog" sign can be asking for trouble. It displays you have a aggressive dog and have full knowledge of it.

Yes some people put them up as a scare tactic, but it can also backfire on them.

I do hope you hade no clue as to the delivery coming that day by the tracking. I watch my tracking when it says "out for delivery" to see when they delivered the package.

If so you know someone is going to come to your house that day. Why would you not restrain/confine the dog? You say the front door was open, was it 100% open for dog to free roam in and out? Or was the inside door open and a screen/storm door closed to keep the dog confined to the house?

These are things that can alter what way a insurance company or lawsuit may look/question liability.
In their eyes, the sign, and open door can work against you.

Coworkers sister was a Amazon delivery driver. She went up to a house to deliver to front door. A large Shepard mix came out bit her and she fell down 2 or 3 steps to the ground. Dog bit her again as she was on the ground.

Local police cam did report, ambulance took her to the hospital. She was banged up from the fall and 2 or 3 bites.
If I recall correctly he said the workers comp company went after home owner for all bills.
Town police had dog quarantined 10 days,  but it had to be at a veterinarian office for observation (more bills).

Not sure what happened after that.

My homeowners insurance has more or less a policy rule, "First bite is free, the next is on me"...
As in if my dog bites someone, they will cover first incident, second bite i am liable for all damages and bills. They won't cover a second dog bite/attack..

I hope this is your dog's first incident, I also hope the guy is not looking for a payday.

Unfortunately, in today's world most people want to get rich quick via a lawsuit.
I am not a lawyer,

Good luck.

Oh, your pup is one cool ass looking dude...
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#38]

This.
The sign could be taken as evidence that you knew the dog was dangerous and yet did nothing to prevent people from getting injured by your "dangerous" dog.

"Beware of dog" sign has the same effect as those "not responsible for broken windshields" signs on the back of gravel trucks.   In neither case do the signs provide any liability reduction for the owner.
View All Quotes

This.
The sign could be taken as evidence that you knew the dog was dangerous and yet did nothing to prevent people from getting injured by your "dangerous" dog.

"Beware of dog" sign has the same effect as those "not responsible for broken windshields" signs on the back of gravel trucks.   In neither case do the signs provide any liability reduction for the owner.

All you lawyers missed the part where the dog was inside a gate with a warning that there is a dog inside. The guy entered a space with a dog in it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:34:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dhmjr40] [#39]
   Wish I had a good answer.  I'd happily pay a fine, medical instead of what I fear might be asked.  

I honestly dont' know how it would be more than that.  Dog in the fenced in yard.  What else can you do?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Dogsoldier03:

"Beware of dog" doesn't imply the dog is dangerous,  it is a warning and caution to people, to a possible dangerous situation.  
Most dogs are nice, but if you step into their yard as a stranger, they will typically react. Many dogs will bark aggressively, or move towards a stranger. Most dogs are all bark, no bite,  but the warning is the same... not that the dog is knowingly dangerous, but that any stranger walking into a gated yard that has a dog should be warned, hence,  "Beware of dog".
View Quote

Everytime I saw that sign, I took it as the property owner was informing me that their dog was aggressive
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#41]

That is actually an intelligent answer if things did progress.  

I don't think he'll have anything to worry about, but def a good backup plan!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rlm0n0:
Okay. What I would do at this point is go get a stray dog from the Stray Dog place. Take your real dog over to your sister's house for a week or two and wait for them to come and murder your newly acquired stray dog.

Ps
Just spitballing here.

That is actually an intelligent answer if things did progress.  

I don't think he'll have anything to worry about, but def a good backup plan!

That’s an incredibly fucked up answer and anyone that would actually do this is a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By tsg68:

Dog was on private property, fenced and posted.  What the fuck else do you want?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tsg68:

Exactly. The driver entered a fenced space with a dog.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By batmanacw:

Exactly. The driver entered a fenced space with a dog.
View Quote

As have all of the delivery drivers. I wonder why they all ignore the delivery instructions the OP puts on all of his orders? He probably needs a locked gate also.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:
I’m not sure the beware of dog sign will be helpful.
View Quote

It's not helpful at all.
It will be used as evidence you knew your dog was a potential danger.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:56:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tripleoption] [#45]
Originally Posted By Kiltakaze:
In CO, he’ll likely go to the hospital or other clinic for care, medical staff in our state are required by law to report the bite to LE. It’ll be up to the delivery driver if he wants to pursue ownership of a dangerous dog charges, which he likely won’t. You will be expected to quarantine the dog for 10 days after the bite. That can generally happen at your house but some jurisdictions may take the dog to a holding facility
View Quote

Also here in CO a few years ago some friends of ours were at a local dog park when one of their little dogs bit a city worker there to empty trash.  The worker told them they had nothing to worry about, but about ten minutes after he left a city supervisor showed up and told them they had to report the bite not just to LE but to local medical facilities too because of WC issues, or something along those lines.  Their dog had to be quarantined for I think ten days, and they ended up being taken to court by the city.  They had two court hearings, one to determine if the dog was vicious and the second one for restitution to the city.  They got an anti dog judge for the first case, or so they were told, and he ended up declaring the dog a nuisance dog.  He told them if it happened again he'd declare the dog a vicious dog and it would be put down.  For the second hearing a few weeks later I guess the city didn't really push the issue and they didn't have to pay restitution.
I know it's not exactly the same situation, but it wouldn't surprise me if things went in this direction.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Depending on your state law, since an actual bite occured you might need to report it to the health department and provide proof of the dog having been vaccinated
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By CyberSlacker:

Agreed !

I was always proud to be a member of a forum, with like minded people, but members thinking, it is right, lying to cover your ass, HUMMM. not so proud now.
This country is in a mess and that kind of thinking is responsible for that. So before you call yourself a patriotic American, look in the mirror, then delete your profile, so we can be proud of this forum again... PLEASE help this country, instead of adding to the selfishness that is ruining it for responsible people.

TIP for all members: if you have kids or friends with kids, once they get to be your age, would you be PROUD of them if they handled issues the way you do, or did in the past? if your honest answer is NO, then there still is hope for you, do what is right, "when there is doubt there is NO doubt" (movie Ronin)

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CyberSlacker:

Wow.

Agreed !

Were you under the impression modern conservatives held values?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:01:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittleBigHorn] [#48]
It will go through workers comp, I’d be surprised if you’re even contacted.

The what ifs and accusations in this thread are ridiculous, these bites happen non stop every day with delivery drivers inside gated properties.  We already know what happens.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Let your homeowners insurance know immediately*.  Their is liability coverage and med pay available for this.  Their is also a “duty to defend” under the homeowners policy, meaning defend you against lawsuits and most likely duty to indemnify up to the limits of coverage.  BUT your insurance company has a clause that coverage can be denied if you don’t notify them of the occurrence within a reasonable amount of time.

*What is immediately?  You might wait a few days to see how it shakes out, but if it clearly is not resolved by Friday, I would let your agent know and let him advise you if he you should file a claim.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top