User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CyberSlacker:

Agreed !

I was always proud to be a member of a forum, with like minded people, but members thinking, it is right, lying to cover your ass, HUMMM. not so proud now.
This country is in a mess and that kind of thinking is responsible for that. So before you call yourself a patriotic American, look in the mirror, then delete your profile, so we can be proud of this forum again... PLEASE help this country, instead of adding to the selfishness that is ruining it for responsible people.

TIP for all members: if you have kids or friends with kids, once they get to be your age, would you be PROUD of them if they handled issues the way you do, or did in the past? if your honest answer is NO, then there still is hope for you, do what is right, "when there is doubt there is NO doubt" (movie Ronin)

View Quote

So proud to be a member that you posted a whole 137 times in 23 years.....lol
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#2]
$1 cash money says the AD has lingering pain in his fingers and $150,000 will make them feel better.

If the AD driver is smart, or talks to someone at Amazon, they're going to sue you personally for negligence. I would assume there's a few lawyers that the drivers all use in these cases.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:20:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack19] [#3]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By KoolOperator:
What kind of weirdo leaves the front door of the house wide open.
View Quote

People who sleep with bugs in their home.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I get a message before every Amazon delivered Amazon delivery asking me to secure pets.

Your dog, your responsibility.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Paul:

People who sleep with bugs in their home.
View Quote

I have a buddy that lives in the Black Forest area of Colorado Springs, there just aren’t many bugs there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Breed of Peace.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By tsg68:
Dog was on private property, fenced and posted.  What the fuck else do you want?

View Quote

Less civil liability from bite cases.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Finish watching the Fallout series ASAP.  

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:27:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Meathook] [#10]
Originally Posted By eracer:
One thing I don't understand is why AG didn't have time to get behind the gate when he saw the dog running at him.

Is the dog that fast?
Did AG not see the dog?
Is the gate 6 feet from the front door?
Did AG think the dog was coming for a treat and a pat on the head?
View Quote

I worked for UPS in a past life never was a driver but when I was in management and during the holidays delivered my share of packages.  

Dogs seem to know exactly how long it will take you to get back to the gate.  They don't make a sound or come at you until they know you can't make it.

When I was at UPS we had the old style DIAD (delivery computers) boards that were the size of a big clip board.  The technique was to shove it in the dogs mouth.

It is a hazard of the business.  My guess is at most Amazon will contact the OP to check vaccination status and discuss how to deliver in the future.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#11]
honestly the question you should be asking yourself is - why do you own a dangerous dog that bites people?  that seems like a pretty big liability and not worth the belly rubs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
"It wasn't our dog. We saw a dog bite the amazon guy and rendered first aid".  Take your beware of dog sign down now and police the yard for for every piece of dog poop you can find.  Anything the AG testifies about thinking it was your dog is to be taken with suspicious as he was just in a traumatic incident and possibly suffering from shock.

Or be prepared to put your dog down when the man comes knocking.

View Quote

So make him a liar too?

What if the OP has morals?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I was right.

Amazon doesn't have any drivers. The drivers work for a DSP, Delivery Service Provider, basically a captive contractor. And after the FedEx fiasco, those drivers are employees of that DSP, no 1099 BS going on anymore.

I imagine Amazon has an in-house WC program to keep costs down. I also imagine you'll be contacted too. Where it goes from there is anyone's guess.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#14]
3 different experiences in the same state:

My nephew was bit on his face buy an aggressive dog. His face was torn pretty badly. He was compensated about $125K, med expenses paid, and dog put down. My sister got an attorney and pressed for compensation.

Another instance, almost exactly like OP's....FED EX guy came in, "beware of dog" signs posted. The FED EX guy was kinda dramatic, called the cops. The cops sided with the homeowner because of the signs and fencing. The only repercussion is that FED EX won't deliver to that house.

Similair but different situation - I live on a 2 track road along a lakeside. Only 4 houses in 2 miles of road. The road is very narrow, no way can 2 cars pass each other. A neighbor at the entrance end is a little nutty about road speed. For good reason we don't want folks speeding down this road, but he takes it overboard. He confronted a speeding FED EX driver with a hammer in his hand, he was pretty ugly about it. The Sherrif came out and warned him. FEDEX, UPS, and USPS will very RARELY come down our road anymore. 99% of the time we all have to go into town for packages.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AaronR:
dog bite puncture wounds carry about 15-20% risk to become infected; hopefully he sought attention from a medical provider and was prescribed Augmentin for prophylaxis
View Quote

I came to post the same about antibiotics, except I would have thought it was higher than that.

If he doesn't take care of the bites you probably could have trouble.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ODA_564:
I get a message before every Amazon delivered Amazon delivery asking me to secure pets.

View Quote

The dog was behind a gate and fence. How is that not responsible?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:42:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rocky41] [#17]
Your dog should be labeled as dangerous and aggressive if it attacks and bites someone. If I were the delivery guy I would sue you personally, my neighbor down the street got a $250,000 settlement from a neighbors Home Owners insurance because his pit bull was loose and attacked her, killed her dog and bit her.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:44:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rocky41] [#18]
Originally Posted By bionicmonkey:
honestly the question you should be asking yourself is - why do you own a dangerous dog that bites people?  that seems like a pretty big liability and not worth the belly rubs.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#19]
People saying they shouldn't own a dog that bites..........give me a break.  I guess people who have dogs as part of their security should give them tasers?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By batmanacw:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ODA_564:

A good lawyer can make that gate/fence disappear.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Just think if the dog was a pit people would be wanting to kill the dog and owner.

No not a pit owner.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By redseven11b:
What breed of dog? That'll define this entire thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#23]
In my area if reported they will ask for shot paperwork and to see the dog. This comes from an er visit thst gets reported .

On a note that I will get flamed on. What did the dog do wrong. It say someone entering your property and bit them. Why wouldn't all robbers just were an Amazon jacket when robbing so they won't get bit if a dog can tell the difference.  Not the dogs fault.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Aw shit, sorry OP.

I imagine your course will be dictated for you, for the most part.

Good luck and please post updates.  Same thing could happen to many of us.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:
I'm not sure the beware of dog sign will be helpful. I would expect you to be liable for medical costs and lost time at work
View Quote
This and if the bite is bad you could have to put your dog down.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Gulftanker:

Yeah, shots are all current. If he'd mentioned wanting to go to the urgent care, we'd have offered to handle it. He didn't seem like he was hurt too bad and was mostly interested in getting back to his route.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
What breed of dog? Is the dog up to date on shots? If he wants to see a doc pay the bill out of pocket. Having a dangerous dog can seriously impact your homeowners insurance.

Yeah, shots are all current. If he'd mentioned wanting to go to the urgent care, we'd have offered to handle it. He didn't seem like he was hurt too bad and was mostly interested in getting back to his route.
Urgent care is probably wise -my son was bit while delivering the mail. The homeowner was gracious and helped him clean and bandage the bite. It was a nasty puncture bite. The next day he couldn't put his pants on it was swollen. He should have been seen and started antibiotics.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#27]
You really should report this to your Insurance Carrier and get it on record, if not they may not cover you down the road if you are sued. Here the dog would be labeled as dangerous since it bit someone. Read the fine print on your Home Owners policy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#28]
All you lawyers missed the part where the dog was inside a gate with a warning that there is a dog inside. The guy entered a space with a dog in it.
View Quote

If you think that removes the owner's liability for his dog's actions, I've got some bad news for you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Exactly. The driver entered a fenced space with a dog.
View Quote
Irrelevant. He was there as part of his job, not to commit a crime.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Man enters gated yard and gets bit sounds like its the drivers fault for

not calling you I get calls for about 1/3 of amazon drops I am close please put your dogs in or I am at your gate where do you want your package.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#31]
The facts:

We do have a Beware of the Dog sign on the fence next to the gate.
Amazon Guy (AG) whistled before opening the gate, but the dog was upstairs and it took him a few seconds to run downstairs and bound out the open front door (which you can't see from the gate).
AG was inside the gate when the dog bit his hand. The bite drew blood, enough to drip on the walkway. Looked like at least 3 punctures on his finger(s).
We kenneled the dog and brought AG in the house to get him cleaned up and bandaged. He was very decent about it, said it's happened before, didn't seem too upset at all and was very glad we cared enough to get him bandaged up because a lot of people wouldn't bother.
Dog has never bitten anyone before.

He said he does have to do paperwork about the incident. Will Amazon try to hold us liable for the workman's comp claim/medical/pain/suffering etc? It seemed like AG didn't want to make an issue about it, but people can always change their mind later.

Douglas County, Colorado, if that matters.

Should I pepper my angus?
View Quote

you're about to get fucked really hard in the ass with no lube or reach around. you advertised that you have a dangerous animal and you let that animal attack a service worker
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#32]
If I was delivering packages for Amazon and I see a closed gate with a "Beware of Dog" sign, the package is probably getting dropped at the gate.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Col_Sanders:
If I was delivering packages for Amazon and I see a closed gate with a "Beware of Dog" sign, the package is probably getting dropped at the gate.  

View Quote

Then they get a complaint that the package was left out on the street and not properly delivered.

Those guys can't catch a break.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By shadycoh:
Man enters gated yard and gets bit sounds like its the drivers fault for

not calling you I get calls for about 1/3 of amazon drops I am close please put your dogs in or I am at your gate where do you want your package.
View Quote

Keep thinking that........but you hear that whooshing sound? That's Morgan & Morgan's Falcon 50 flying over your house for another payday. Them fat jets ain't cheap.

Think it was Aimless that said dog bites were the easiest cases, pretty much open' n shut.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#35]
We have a verbally abusive Akita mix that has scared some neighbors. Especially due to the fact we have an invisible fence systems so she looks like she's loose outside. I have the invisible fence sign up and a delivery box set up a few feet outside the fence line. Seems to work fine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By azjeeper:
"Beware of dog". Why, because you knew he was aggressive?
Playing devil's advocate, a lawywer would ask this question.
View Quote

EXACTLY.

Never put that sign up.  It states YOU KNEW you had a public MENACE.

You literally screwed yourself from the gitgo
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By MattyMattel:
I was right.

Amazon doesn't have any drivers. The drivers work for a DSP, Delivery Service Provider, basically a captive contractor. And after the FedEx fiasco, those drivers are employees of that DSP, no 1099 BS going on anymore.

I imagine Amazon has an in-house WC program to keep costs down. I also imagine you'll be contacted too. Where it goes from there is anyone's guess.
View Quote

correct except amazon wont call, the delivery company will. they are separate
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Kent:

This.
The sign could be taken as evidence that you knew the dog was dangerous and yet did nothing to prevent people from getting injured by your "dangerous" dog.

"Beware of dog" sign has the same effect as those "not responsible for broken windshields" signs on the back of gravel trucks.   In neither case do the signs provide any liability reduction for the owner.
View Quote

That's not exactly true. "I have the sign because all dogs are unpredictable".

The sign won't absolve him of liability, but it does indeed help his case, as it puts people on notice that a dog is present.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#39]
OP - if someone calls you, don't discuss the case on the phone.
Do you know how difficult it could be to prove that this was your dog, at your house?  
You don't want a lawyer going to court, saying: "Judge, he admitted that he owned this wild dog -AND- that his dog bit the Defendant!"

Don't admit that you live at that address, that you own a dog, that your dog has been vaccinated, that you can spell the word "dog", or anything else.  And don't lie.  It's all being recorded.  
Just pretend it's a telemarketer, say "man, I think you got the wrong person", and hang up.  
If they sue you (doubtful), you'll receive court notice of a lawsuit.  Turn it over to your homeowners insurance to manage it.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#40]

A good lawyer can make that gate/fence disappear.
View Quote

No. That isn't how this works lol
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By azjeeper:
"Beware of dog". Why, because you knew he was aggressive?
Playing devil's advocate, a lawywer would ask this question.
View Quote

I’ve seen this in court before.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By mrrick:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mrrick:
I was right.

Yep! Or their WC provider.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:02:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NoFnNamesLeft] [#43]
We have delivery instructions to leave stuff at the gate, and do not enter the property.
(Invisible fence, open gate)

We still get AG’s (especially contract workers) that don’t heed the instructions.

Out of all the carriers that drop stuff off, Amazon has the absolute worst trained drivers in regards to interaction with dogs. If they’d redirect some DEI training over to some basic dog psychology and sociality, they’d be able save a lot of trouble vs. sending disposable ‘tards that wind up escalating the situation.

I’d lay the responsibility for OP’s situation back on Amazon, for their disregard in preparing employees for expected workplace hazards.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Flathead9:

No. That isn't how this works lol
View Quote

Like kids jumping a fence into a swimming pool? High $$$ lawyer vs you?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

If he doesn't his WC insurance company will.  Afterward your homeowner's insurance will probably tell you to get rid of the dog or they will drop you, assuming your dog breed isn't on the list of breeds not covered under their liability policy.
View Quote

The WC will definitely go after the homeowner’s policy regardless. Plan on that. No idea if they’ll drop you, but I imagine that will mean you’ll be out your deductible amount.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#46]
What is amazon's policy regarding an employee entering when there is a beware of dog sign?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:

The WC will definitely go after the homeowner’s policy regardless. Plan on that. No idea if they’ll drop you, but I imagine that will mean you’ll be out your deductible amount.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

If he doesn't his WC insurance company will.  Afterward your homeowner's insurance will probably tell you to get rid of the dog or they will drop you, assuming your dog breed isn't on the list of breeds not covered under their liability policy.

LOL no

Do any of you have experience with workers comp?  It doesn’t seem like it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By coldair:
What is amazon's policy regarding an employee entering when there is a beware of dog sign?
View Quote

Hopefully it will be part of the TOS, if you have a dog that isn’t 100% controlled, we will not deliver to your address, unless you agree to not file for refund on lost, broken or missing deliveries
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Like kids jumping a fence into a swimming pool? High $$$ lawyer vs you?
View Quote

Different scenario. A pool is an attractive nuisance, which brings with it some special considerations. Even in those scenarios, the fences aren't completely disregarded.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#50]
At the very least expect your future deliveries be thrown at your yard as the van drives by.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top