BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By batmanacw:

The dog was behind a gate and fence. How is that not responsible?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ODA_564:
I get a message before every Amazon delivered Amazon delivery asking me to secure pets.

Your dog, your responsibility.

Wide open door, unlocked gate.  OP left his front door wide open.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, to everyone who said why did I leave my door open with an aggressive dog in the house, you obviously didn't read or comprehend what I said earlier, so I'll reiterate that he's never shown aggression toward people or bitten anyone before now (he's about 4 years old), so how was I supposed to know he'd do that? Yes, dogs can be unpredictable, hence the sign on the fence.

99% of the time, whoever delivers stuff here leaves the packages right by the gate. I have no idea why this guy decided to open the gate and walk any extra distance than he had to.

More than 99% of the time, I never leave the door open because of bugs, or the heating or air conditioning being on but our 15 year old lab sometimes decides he needs to go outside every 5 minutes and I got tired of getting up constantly. Plus it was a gorgeous day with very few bugs. Plus there's a fence out there.

I'll update if anything happens with Amazon, the cops, animal control, etc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By LnWlf:
I don’t have any experience as a delivery driver, but if I saw a fenced in yard with dog sign then I would leave the package outside the fence.

On the flip side, OP knew he had a packages being delivered that day and failed to secure his dog.
View Quote

You'd be amazed, or not, at how utterly stupid people are.  We have beware of dog signs everywhere and we still have idiots open the gate and walk right into the dog yard.  The delivery guys don't enter the yard, but other people (e.g., the propane guy - tanks not anywhere close to the dog yard, the guy wanted to put the invoice on the door knob even though the company emails the invoice to me).
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Gulftanker:
Well, to everyone who said why did I leave my door open with an aggressive dog in the house, you obviously didn't read or comprehend what I said earlier, so I'll reiterate that he's never shown aggression toward people or bitten anyone before now (he's about 4 years old), so how was I supposed to know he'd do that? Yes, dogs can be unpredictable, hence the sign on the fence.

99% of the time, whoever delivers stuff here leaves the packages right by the gate. I have no idea why this guy decided to open the gate and walk any extra distance than he had to.

More than 99% of the time, I never leave the door open because of bugs, or the heating or air conditioning being on but our 15 year old lab sometimes decides he needs to go outside every 5 minutes and I got tired of getting up constantly. Plus it was a gorgeous day with very few bugs. Plus there's a fence out there.

I'll update if anything happens with Amazon, the cops, animal control, etc.
View Quote

for the next time you want to leave the door open you might want to lock the gate. Hindsight is 20/20.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tripleoption:
Lots of people saying OP is screwed because of the Beware of Dog sign being an admission you got a vicious dog.  Depends on the state.  I'm no lawyer, but there are laws covering this out there.  Colorado and Florida are the two states that mention signage in their dog bite laws.  
link: https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-dog-bite-strict-liability-statutes  This is what it has when you scroll down to Colorado:

A dog owner shall not be liable:

if the person bitten is unlawfully on public or private property (trespassing)
if the person bitten is on property of the dog owner and the property is clearly and conspicuously marked with one or more posted signs stating "no trespassing" or "beware of dog"
the dog is being used by a peace officer or military personnel in the performance of duties
the person knowingly provoked the dog
the person is a veterinary health care worker, dog groomer, humane agency staff person, professional dog handler, trainer, or dog show judge acting in the performance duties
the dog is working as a hunting dog, herding dog, farm or ranch dog, or predator control dog on the property of or under the control of the dog's owner

C. R. S. A. § 13-21-124

View Quote

^^^ This.  The sign does not admit any kind of liability or foreknowledge.  In the contrary, it protects the property owner.  You don't have to lock the gate either.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Had 2 very large and loud Rotties. A little old lady came to my door selling catastrophic health insurance. The door was open the security screen was closed and deadbolt locked on it. Dogs are going crazy making a hubbub about her being at the door.  I said I am not interested she said your neighbor got a policy let me show it to you. I said the dogs are mean and I don't want to lock them up. She said I am not afraid and reached for and opened the security screen door handle  if the deadbolt had not been set it would have been interesting what happened as they are usually all bark no bite.

I had a UPS guy come to the security screen door and my rotties paw hit the latch with her paw the door flew open they looked at each other the UPS guy runs and dives in his truck. The Rottie bolted to the bed room scared that the door opened.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Cacinok:

^^^ This.  The sign does not admit any kind of liability or foreknowledge.  In the contrary, it protects the property owner.  You don't have to lock the gate either.
View Quote

this is 100% correct in some states and 100% incorrect in others states
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
We were instructed by an attorney in TX that we should NOT have a ‘Beware of Dog’ sign because it implies that you know that your dog will bite.  Instead, we were instructed to use a sign saying, ‘Dog on premises’.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:
I’m not sure the beware of dog sign will be helpful. I would expect you to be liable for medical costs and lost time at work
View Quote

I've heard a sign opens you to more liability than not having one.

By having a beware of dog sign you're saying you have a dangerous animal but haven't done anythibg about it.

If you don't have a sign you can still say "I don't know what happened, he's never done that before."
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By shack357:

By having a beware of dog sign you're saying you have a dangerous animal but haven't done anythibg about it.

If you don't have a sign you can still say "I don't know what happened, he's never done that before."
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shack357:
I’m not sure the beware of dog sign will be helpful. I would expect you to be liable for medical costs and lost time at work

I'm not saying that's not how the law works, but it's bullshit.

I am an old-fashioned guy, I guess.  If I approach a house with a 'Beware of Dog' sign, my thoughts are "hmm, dog is unpredictable enough that owner posts a sign for my benefit.  How considerate.  I shall retreat to my truck and call the house owner for further guidance".

I believe people have the right to own "dangerous" dogs, as long as they're properly contained.  And snakes, and tigers, and whatever else you have the skill and funds to properly manage.  OP's containment measures failed, but there was no expectation for the dog to act that way so it seems to me like a clear-cut case of "shit happens".  In my world OP would pick up the med bills, driver would come over and be properly introduced to dog, everybody shake hands and be done with it.

Guess that doesn't feed very many lawyers though.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Australian Shepherd / Husky mix. About 30 pounds.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/338569/F2BD981C-DEEA-4B2F-A9E2-13FCC2745E57-1780542.jpg
View Quote

I'll adopt him before he ever gets put down.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By baitdragger:

Nope.  Don’t get to play that card.   You know who you are dealing with.   Delivery drivers (no offense) are not CEO’s nor contract lawyers.   They are probably not educated, may not be able to read and are under the gun to deliver with no delays and no claims of not dropping the package off.   I grabbed a package and then driver said he still had to take a photo on the porch as his GPS would claim he didn’t deliver and he got docked.

Unless you had a box or table with a sign saying leave packages here, the onus is on your to secure your dog.

No other way about it.   Sorry
View Quote

The dog was secure in a marked fenced area. You don't get to say it was not secure. The delivery driver went in knowing there was a risk. You don't get to pretend he didn't.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
I get a message before every Amazon delivered Amazon delivery asking me to secure pets.

Your dog, your responsibility.

The gate was closed.....
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Similar thing happened to a friend about 25 years ago.  He was actually invited into a fenced in back yard by the owner and as soon as he walked in he was attacked by a Chow.  Messed up his calf pretty badly and he got like 76 stitches.  He got around $80K when he sued.  I think that's what they got after paying the attorney as he had a super nice new Mustang GT on his 16th birthday.

Jokes on him though, he was an asshole and overdosed and died several years back.

I'm pretty certain a lawsuit will come from this and you will be responsible.  The issue isn't who, what or why, but more like "how much?"

Hope it's a simple home owners insurance issue and nothing more.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By baitdragger:

Nope.  Don’t get to play that card.   You know who you are dealing with.   Delivery drivers (no offense) are not CEO’s nor contract lawyers.   They are probably not educated, may not be able to read and are under the gun to deliver with no delays and no claims of not dropping the package off.   I grabbed a package and then driver said he still had to take a photo on the porch as his GPS would claim he didn’t deliver and he got docked.

Unless you had a box or table with a sign saying leave packages here, the onus is on your to secure your dog.

No other way about it.   Sorry
View Quote

All the drivers that come here lately reek of weed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Lots of people saying OP is screwed because of the Beware of Dog sign being an admission you got a vicious dog.  Depends on the state.  I'm no lawyer, but there are laws covering this out there.  Colorado and Florida are the two states that mention signage in their dog bite laws.  
link: https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-dog-bite-strict-liability-statutes  This is what it has when you scroll down to Colorado:

A dog owner shall not be liable:

if the person bitten is unlawfully on public or private property (trespassing)
if the person bitten is on property of the dog owner and the property is clearly and conspicuously marked with one or more posted signs stating "no trespassing" or "beware of dog"
the dog is being used by a peace officer or military personnel in the performance of duties
the person knowingly provoked the dog
the person is a veterinary health care worker, dog groomer, humane agency staff person, professional dog handler, trainer, or dog show judge acting in the performance duties
the dog is working as a hunting dog, herding dog, farm or ranch dog, or predator control dog on the property of or under the control of the dog's owner

C. R. S. A. § 13-21-124

View Quote

Those are exceptions to a law that states when the owner is strictly liable.  Just because they are not strictly liable under the law, it doesn't mean that can't be held liable in civil court.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Yeah.  My dog has 2 UPS guys on his wall of shame.  Nothing happened either time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
Eh, probably nothing. My former coworker in a government position, was bit by a huge-ass GSD while in the field. Work took care of her. She didn't want to pursue the matter. A few years ago my old man's little dog bit the mail carrier. All USPS did was issue final warning and made him put a mail box up at the edge of his property.

Personally, if a dog bit me while I was delivering a package on their property, I'd visit an injury lawyer asap. People really need to learn how to control their stupid dogs.
View Quote

You'd shoot them like happened to Angie Harmon wouldn't you.  I'm sure an injury lawyer is itching to take your case after a small dog bite.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By midmo:

I'm not saying that's not how the law works, but it's bullshit.

I am an old-fashioned guy, I guess.  If I approach a house with a 'Beware of Dog' sign, my thoughts are "hmm, dog is unpredictable enough that owner posts a sign for my benefit.  How considerate.  I shall retreat to my truck and call the house owner for further guidance".

I believe people have the right to own "dangerous" dogs, as long as they're properly contained.  And snakes, and tigers, and whatever else you have the skill and funds to properly manage.  OP's containment measures failed, but there was no expectation for the dog to act that way so it seems to me like a clear-cut case of "shit happens".  In my world OP would pick up the med bills, driver would come over and be properly introduced to dog, everybody shake hands and be done with it.

Guess that doesn't feed very many lawyers though.  
View Quote

I agree completely, with all points. Im a world full of reasonable people, my dog bites you, I pay for your stitches, we share beers.

But we live in a world where you give a customer a liability waiver for any number of things, things go south, and their lawyer says "Pay up. If you knew it was unsafe enough to give a waiver, why did you do it at all?"
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 338winmag:

I got bit by a dog out running at the end of December. I spent 5 days in the hospital. I ended up having surgery to eliminate some infection and got about 25 infusions of antibiotics. Since the dog that bit me was a stray, I went through the rabies series. The first part was painful.
Dog bites are nothing to sneeze at. My leg was swelled up 2 days after the bite. All in all it took 3 months to heal.
ETA:  This is the second time I’ve been bitten while running.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 338winmag:
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:
Probably depends on the medical outcome.  I once knew someone that spent over a week in the hospital and almost died from a simple dog bite.  Dogs have a lot of germs in their mouth.  Infection can be a killer.

I got bit by a dog out running at the end of December. I spent 5 days in the hospital. I ended up having surgery to eliminate some infection and got about 25 infusions of antibiotics. Since the dog that bit me was a stray, I went through the rabies series. The first part was painful.
Dog bites are nothing to sneeze at. My leg was swelled up 2 days after the bite. All in all it took 3 months to heal.
ETA:  This is the second time I’ve been bitten while running.

Strange. I would stop running in the mail carrier uniform, for starters.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Kent:

This.
The sign could be taken as evidence that you knew the dog was dangerous and yet did nothing to prevent people from getting injured by your "dangerous" dog.

"Beware of dog" sign has the same effect as those "not responsible for broken windshields" signs on the back of gravel trucks.   In neither case do the signs provide any liability reduction for the owner.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kent:
Originally Posted By azjeeper:
"Beware of dog". Why, because you knew he was aggressive?
Playing devil's advocate, a lawywer would ask this question.

This.
The sign could be taken as evidence that you knew the dog was dangerous and yet did nothing to prevent people from getting injured by your "dangerous" dog.

"Beware of dog" sign has the same effect as those "not responsible for broken windshields" signs on the back of gravel trucks.   In neither case do the signs provide any liability reduction for the owner.

But do they result in less windshield damage?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By rlm0n0:
Okay. What I would do at this point is go get a stray dog from the Stray Dog place. Take your real dog over to your sister's house for a week or two and wait for them to come and murder your newly acquired stray dog.

Ps
Just spitballing here.
View Quote
Damn. That is a good plan
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Like I said in the OP, he's never bitten before and he's never endangered anybody.

Besides, I've never seen a "Friendly Dog" sign before. Is there a better way for me to indicate that there's a dog here?
Plus, it would look really bad if I made a "Friendly Doggie Lives Here" sign and then he bites...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azjeeper:
"Beware of dog". Why, because you knew he was aggressive?
Playing devil's advocate, a lawywer would ask this question.

Originally Posted By ske714:
So you acknowledge that your dog is dangerous, and that you were aware of it?

Like I said in the OP, he's never bitten before and he's never endangered anybody.

Besides, I've never seen a "Friendly Dog" sign before. Is there a better way for me to indicate that there's a dog here?
Plus, it would look really bad if I made a "Friendly Doggie Lives Here" sign and then he bites...

I would go with "be aware of dog."

I like "Be apprised of dog's access to your ass." But it's long.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I didn't read all the pages,,, but
My GF rents a house and does not have a dog, both neighbors on each side do. The one neighbor's dogs are very loud, and when approaching their back fence growl and bite at the fence. I don't mess with em, nor care, I just notice when walking past to the dumpster in the alley. The other neighbor's are two old yappy tiny things that could subdued with a brisk fart or at worse kick.
GF was tracking an Amazon package and got an alert, saying something like "all packages and future deliveries are on hold, until you call". I called, and apparently the Amazon delivery person was chased by our dog, that we don't have. First, I went through the outdoor camera footage to see if I could find anything,, nope nuthin'. I texted the neighbor with the larger dogs, and they were in for the night and the dogs were too. I called the number and told them we do not have dogs, and no footage of any such incident and ZERO footage of an Amazon truck or person in the area when the alleged attack happened, and neither do the neighbors. She said something to the effect of "okay, we'll reactive your deliveries, but you have been put on some sort of list, and if it happens services will be permanently suspended at this address. Now, I am pissed, I asked to speak with the accuser and to see any case information. "We can't give you any information, this is an internal report". Long story short, I took it up the chain, nicely let them know that we and the neighbors take the allegations seriously and don't appreciate them. I finally got a call from a nice lady that apologized. So yeah, nothing really happened just a waste of time.
In the end, what I think happened. This street is extremely busy with traffic as it is a well known for Christmas lighting displays, and the driver didn't want to battle the traffic. I can't say I blame them, but that's no excuse for making up such a story. Or it was a stray dog
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#25]
The facts:

We do have a Beware of the Dog sign on the fence next to the gate.
Amazon Guy (AG) whistled before opening the gate, but the dog was upstairs and it took him a few seconds to run downstairs and bound out the open front door (which you can't see from the gate).
AG was inside the gate when the dog bit his hand. The bite drew blood, enough to drip on the walkway. Looked like at least 3 punctures on his finger(s).
We kenneled the dog and brought AG in the house to get him cleaned up and bandaged. He was very decent about it, said it's happened before, didn't seem too upset at all and was very glad we cared enough to get him bandaged up because a lot of people wouldn't bother.
Dog has never bitten anyone before.

He said he does have to do paperwork about the incident. Will Amazon try to hold us liable for the workman's comp claim/medical/pain/suffering etc? It seemed like AG didn't want to make an issue about it, but people can always change their mind later.

Douglas County, Colorado, if that matters.

Should I pepper my angus?
View Quote

Be cautious opening yer Amazon packages going forward.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Seadra_tha_Guineapig:

you're about to get fucked really hard in the ass with no lube or reach around. you advertised that you have a dangerous animal and you let that animal attack a service worker
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seadra_tha_Guineapig:
The facts:

We do have a Beware of the Dog sign on the fence next to the gate.
Amazon Guy (AG) whistled before opening the gate, but the dog was upstairs and it took him a few seconds to run downstairs and bound out the open front door (which you can't see from the gate).
AG was inside the gate when the dog bit his hand. The bite drew blood, enough to drip on the walkway. Looked like at least 3 punctures on his finger(s).
We kenneled the dog and brought AG in the house to get him cleaned up and bandaged. He was very decent about it, said it's happened before, didn't seem too upset at all and was very glad we cared enough to get him bandaged up because a lot of people wouldn't bother.
Dog has never bitten anyone before.

He said he does have to do paperwork about the incident. Will Amazon try to hold us liable for the workman's comp claim/medical/pain/suffering etc? It seemed like AG didn't want to make an issue about it, but people can always change their mind later.

Douglas County, Colorado, if that matters.

Should I pepper my angus?

you're about to get fucked really hard in the ass with no lube or reach around. you advertised that you have a dangerous animal and you let that animal attack a service worker

Don't stop there. Suggest he talked the dog into it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Dog was secured. The driver entered the secured space.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LnWlf:
I don’t have any experience as a delivery driver, but if I saw a fenced in yard with dog sign then I would leave the package outside the fence.

On the flip side, OP knew he had a packages being delivered that day and failed to secure his dog.

Dog was secured. The driver entered the secured space.

It wasn't a no trespassing sign, Ironsides. A delivery guy entered a yard to deliver a package.
87 million times a day, counselor.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AGraham:

Private property on which OP invited a third party contractor to perform a hired and scheduled service.....

You think it's different if I call a plumber, he says he'll be by this afternoon sometime, then gets bitten by my dog as an expected invitee?

Mkay lol
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AGraham:
Originally Posted By tsg68:

Dog was on private property, fenced and posted.  What the fuck else do you want?

Private property on which OP invited a third party contractor to perform a hired and scheduled service.....

You think it's different if I call a plumber, he says he'll be by this afternoon sometime, then gets bitten by my dog as an expected invitee?

Mkay lol

A scheduled delivery day is not an appointment, Bill Nye.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#29]

The dog was secure in a marked fenced area. You don't get to say it was not secure. The delivery driver went in knowing there was a risk. You don't get to pretend he didn't.
View Quote

Wow.   What did the instructions say in regards to delivering the package?

And why did the AG open the gate?

I’ll wait.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By rlm0n0:

This is a bit crass but probably where I am at. Why does delivery guy have to deal with getting bit from time to time? It's kind of silly.
View Quote

We can tell who doesn't have to go to multiple srangers houses every day.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HecklerKac] [#31]
If no cameras wouldn't it be his word against yours?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I used to be a delivery guy in my late teens.

Dogs (or even just dog signs) and fenced yards got things delivered at the gate, not the door. Guess what, I never got bit

Also, being ordered to put my dog down is one of maybe two things I'd play for keeps over.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 44-40pro:
I'll adopt him before he ever gets put down.
View Quote

There is no reason to execute the dog.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to work for Amazon in Health & Safety. Helped with stand up the EHS program for AMZL which is the delivery service.

I remember how dog bites were a consistent incident amongst delivery drivers.

For some perspective when I had worked at Amazon about 2 years before going over to AMZL. I worked at AMZL in the Pacific region and the first thing I did was bring about 450 older cases from the previous year or so into record keeping compliance. So that’s 450 cases of delivery drivers (and distribution center associates) getting injured/having accidents of some kind across NorCal, Oregon and Washington.

Unless something has changed all current drivers are 3PL or 3rd Party Logistics providers. They have their own workers comp insurance, though Amazon tracks the case and can issue internal corrective actions.

Amazon can blacklist a customer though this was not done through EHS channels.

I’m not clear on what his actual company can do to you but short of making you a non deliverable home, Amazon won’t do anything to you. They’d be coming after everyone left and right.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

Yeah a whole lot of people suggesting the OP be a complete dirt bag and duck his responsibilities.

It absolutely won't work either. There's the physical evidence of the bite and the victim has all the information. Amazon tracks every move those guys make, every minute of every day.
View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Also here in CO a few years ago some friends of ours were at a local dog park when one of their little dogs bit a city worker there to empty trash.  The worker told them they had nothing to worry about, but about ten minutes after he left a city supervisor showed up and told them they had to report the bite not just to LE but to local medical facilities too because of WC issues, or something along those lines.  Their dog had to be quarantined for I think ten days, and they ended up being taken to court by the city.  They had two court hearings, one to determine if the dog was vicious and the second one for restitution to the city.  They got an anti dog judge for the first case, or so they were told, and he ended up declaring the dog a nuisance dog.  He told them if it happened again he'd declare the dog a vicious dog and it would be put down.  For the second hearing a few weeks later I guess the city didn't really push the issue and they didn't have to pay restitution.
I know it's not exactly the same situation, but it wouldn't surprise me if things went in this direction.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kiltakaze:
In CO, he’ll likely go to the hospital or other clinic for care, medical staff in our state are required by law to report the bite to LE. It’ll be up to the delivery driver if he wants to pursue ownership of a dangerous dog charges, which he likely won’t. You will be expected to quarantine the dog for 10 days after the bite. That can generally happen at your house but some jurisdictions may take the dog to a holding facility

Also here in CO a few years ago some friends of ours were at a local dog park when one of their little dogs bit a city worker there to empty trash.  The worker told them they had nothing to worry about, but about ten minutes after he left a city supervisor showed up and told them they had to report the bite not just to LE but to local medical facilities too because of WC issues, or something along those lines.  Their dog had to be quarantined for I think ten days, and they ended up being taken to court by the city.  They had two court hearings, one to determine if the dog was vicious and the second one for restitution to the city.  They got an anti dog judge for the first case, or so they were told, and he ended up declaring the dog a nuisance dog.  He told them if it happened again he'd declare the dog a vicious dog and it would be put down.  For the second hearing a few weeks later I guess the city didn't really push the issue and they didn't have to pay restitution.
I know it's not exactly the same situation, but it wouldn't surprise me if things went in this direction.

Imagine going to law school, working your way up to being a judge... Then presiding over dog bite cases.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Standard settlement for a dog bite is $10,000 without any qualms by the insurance company. If you failed to tell your insurance company that you own a dog, that dollar amount will come out of you.  

Depending on how badly injured the driver is/was, you could be on the hook for a whole lot more. FedEx can sue you too. On the job injuries, lost work time, hospital bills are all part of their corporate responsibility. Do you have a fenced in yard? Warning signs? Did you warn the company via "special instructions" or some other option when you ordered the product?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:16:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigshot64] [#38]
OP, you should definitely not get a lawyer.  Instead, do what GD wants and admit to everything, let them take your fucking house and all of your assets.  At least when you’re fucking destitute and homeless, you can tell everyone you did the right fucking thing.

Hire a lawyer and do what the fuck they say.  Not GD

Probably the same idiots who say to talk to the police when you’re being investigated because that’s what you should do.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll never understand why people do not secure their animals and their property.  If you have a dog that is at all capable of biting someone. You should probably take a few steps to CYA.

1. Lock your gates and/or if he's in the house make sure he can't get out.
2. When leaving the property keep him on a leash.
3. Do not order shit from amazon or have anything delivered.
4. Do not have a burglar alarm or anything that forces LE to enter your property to check the premises.

People force individuals to come onto their property to do their job. Then when those people get bit by the dog (that's just doing his job). A massive civil liability ensues.

Even if the amazon guy is cool about it. If it gets infected/he has to seek medical aid you can bet animal control will get involved.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:27:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HecklerKac] [#40]
Theres a lot of holier than thou boyscouts in this thread.

OP:
Dont give up your dog.

If you have cameras delete the footage.

If it comes to it, hide your dog and get a decoy from the pound.

Do NOT talk to anyone about it, especially any any strangers that might come around

Its your word against his most likely

Deny everything

Delete this thread
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#41]
DAY 2

Update:

No contact from anyone today. Had another Amazon box delivered and left outside the gate under the new sign telling drivers to do so. Didn't see if it was the same driver. (Note to self, get a camera...)

I stuck a carabiner with a fishing pole bell clipped to it through the hole in the gate latch, not intended as a lock but an added obstacle to overcome and delay entry, making some noise at the same time. Kind of an early warning system.

No doors are open.

Fresh pic of Punky Dogster with Geezer Dogster and Wife Unit in background:

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Doggy is handsome AF, OP.

Screw the AG and the GD haters!

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I mean your dog bit an innocent stranger. Ild say your due to pay for his injuries most likely.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:26:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By UTCenturion:
I mean your dog bit an innocent stranger. Ild say your due to pay for his injuries most likely.
View Quote

if Innocent stranger means a fool that opened and entered a gated yard with a sign saying hey dumb fuck I have a dog. then you are correct.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#45]
OP is gonna lose his prime membership.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Low-Cap:
OP is gonna lose his prime membership.
View Quote

Or get a free month.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By engineer201:
Expect a call from Amazon seeking to determine a way forward.  They will be less interested in liability and more interested in ways to prevent in future.

Most likely you will be asked for a reassurance that dog is confined and/or a request to have a package drop box installed at gate going forward.  Amazon is still interested in preserving a customer.  Worse case you will have UPS deliver a day late from now on…but I doubt that would happen here.
View Quote

This , almost a verbatim situation with my neighbor and Amazon. They didn’t comply with amazons request because MUH BABY DOG DINDU NUFFIN. Amazon cancelled their account and blacklisted their address for delivery. I only know this because they asked if they could get their shit delivered to my house.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:
Theres a lot of holier than thou boyscouts in this thread.

OP:
Dont give up your dog.

If you have cameras delete the footage.

If it comes to it, hide your dog and get a decoy from the pound.

Do NOT talk to anyone about it, especially any any strangers that might come around

Its your word against his most likely

Deny everything

Delete this thread
View Quote

This is really bad advice. Deleting evidence implies intent and certainly won’t be looked favorably upon if the time comes for OP to defend himself in court.

OP I wouldn’t worry about it too much and I, personally, wouldn’t even bother with a lawyer until/if you’re served with something. Don’t take down any signs or do anything that could be purposefully misconstrued as hiding or getting rid of evidence. That’s a sure way to make a favorable court date into a bad one. Just go on with life as normal. They aren’t going to make you euthanize your dog. Chances are you won’t hear anything again unless the driver himself is litigious but based on your statements it seems unlikely.

I’m not a lawyer but do have a law degree. Your case is almost word-for-word used in "law 101" and it isn’t something to get worked up about until/if you’re served. Even then you’ll have at least one hearing before anything of consequence begins where they decide if your dog is "viscous" as defined by the law and they almost never are found such unless it’s a pit bull or other known aggressive breed that has a number of incidents attributed to it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

This. Sign is nice and can mitigate things and say you try to give people warning but owners are generally considered liable for ther animals actions and the sign could be used against you stating you knew you had a dangerous dog.

With dog bite wounds, as a general rule, the person shoud be on antibiotics as they are puncture wounds and considered contaminated. In most jurisdictions if he seeks medical care it will be reported by law to local animal control. So if he is actually an amazon employee and they send him to get treated figure this will likely get reported by the medical facility so you can expect a visit from your local animal control. In TX these dogs often get quarantined at the owners expense your jurisdiction may be different. Assuming he is up to date on rabies vaccine too. If not expect other possible fines for that. This is all apart from civil action and things like Amazon refusing to deliver to you moving forward.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top