User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's my life lessons around $ so far:

- Being healthy is the most valuable and precious thing
- Freedom is the next most valuable thing
- Not having money sucks more than the shittiest job ($ buys freedom, you can't tell me otherwise)
- Owning your own business is not much better than being employed, unless you are a "making money while you sleep" owner (not many out there).
- Passive income is by far the best income
- I still haven't figured out how to put all that together into a long-term set of circumstances
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trio] [#2]
My wife and I opened a business together 12 years ago.  We have recently been talking about semi-retirement sometime in the next 3 years.  She just turned 50 last week, I’ll be 51 in September.  One of the biggest obstacles is we have a 12 year old at home still.  Not sure we want to completely up root her life. So the debate is when she goes to high school, or when she finishes.  So 52 or 56.  But then we will both turn the business over to the worker bees and act as owners instead of operators.   Money isn’t everythjng, and doing the math, there is no way we can spend all that we have prepared for retirement anyway with my military pension, our savings, 401ks, etc.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Wise words… I was fortunate enough to see the writing on the wall in elementary school. When all the other kids were vying for attention, pleasing the teacher, and doing shit I knew was meaningless, I was climbing the fence at recess heading for the woods and the creek to catch crayfish.  

Fuck the game… but thankful for those that make the world work.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

I’m feeling it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Happy_Hour_Hero:

I work for a big corporation, but I'll admit it took me a while to find the balance. I work a fast paced challenging 40 hours and go home, leaving it all at work. I can find a new job in a different industry, or just to relocate, relatively easily. I can also take vacations without phone service for a whole week.

Working in a large corporate environment gave me freedom.
View Quote

This is where I'm at.

I work 40-45 hours a week. Not too much stress at home, bit not zero.

North of $150k, retirement is covered by the company, benefits are great...no complaints here, other than typical big corporation wokism.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:01:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#6]
My soul sucking corporate job pays well and is fairly secure. With two young sons, that income and security counts for a whole lot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#7]
You either sacrifice all of your time for a short while or some of your time for a longer while, very difficult to make it any other way.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:07:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cacinok] [#8]
I never understood how self employed people call it freedom. The people I know with the least work life balance all own their own company. There is no freedom, they're on call 24/7, every vacation too.

View Quote

True for some, but not for all.  I've been self-employed since 2015 and I'm not on call 24/7.  I usually work 8-5 and I'm done.  During LaCrosse season, I follow my daughter's team throughout the state to watch her play.  I take off as much time as I can afford, which varies by year.  The only negative is that if I don't work I don't get paid.  I worked in a big law firm, hated it.  I taught at a university, loved teaching, hated the kiss-ass atmosphere and endless, useless, meetings.  So I left.  

My wife is self-employed, but has a bunch of independent contractors working for her.  She makes money when she is not there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#9]
To late, close to retirement and it can’t come soon enough.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:12:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#10]
I retired early and have been enjoying life since then.  Enough midnights, weekends, senseless bovine feces just because of someone's bloated ego.  Besides, health is much more important than ducats in your wallet/savings/retirement.  

When the dollar dies, all those fools will suffer (or be killed by the mobs).
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I never understood how self employed people call it freedom. The people I know with the least work life balance all own their own company. There is no freedom, they're on call 24/7, every vacation too.

View Quote

When I was an apprentice auto tech, my mentor tech told me of his experience as a business owner for around a decade. He Woke up early to open the shop, make coffee, answer messages. Then, he fixed cars all day. After closing time, he ordered parts and supplies, paid bills, did books. Average day 6am-7pm

Working at a dealership: clock in at 8am, out at 4pm, with an hour lunch break. Leave shop and go fishing... make more money than being a shop owner.

As always, YMMV, but it's the experience that a lot of people have had.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
After working the majority of my professional life as a "free lancer", I found my way into a corporate position in my field (photography/video production). I'm 55 and thought at the time the corporate job was an answer to my prayers. Steady income, relatively easy work life, insurance etc.  After 4 years in the corporate world, I struggle daily with motivation.  I understand why I prefer some autonomy and flexibility.  The endless meetings, corporate speak and fixation on mindless tasks is maddening.  While I am happy to have work, I pray for another opportunity that will allow me to return to self employment or some remote work of some type. Unfortunately, my skillset has me somewhat limited in what I am able to do professionally. I'm open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a bit of an alternative perspective on this.  

Someone has to do the shitty soulless jobs.  That's just a fact of life.  Every single man made thing we enjoy that we don't make for ourselves requires someone else to go to work to make it.  The world runs on a people who show up to work no matter how shitty the work is.  Until we perfect AI powered humanoid robots who fully duplicate human utility, there is no reality where everyone gets to live their best life 24/7.

The position you have to be in to even contemplate "breaking free from servitude" in the way OP is framing it is a pretty privileged position to begin with.  Those of us in that position are very fortunate even if we earned that position.  There has to be a little bit of humility in front of and gratitude for the people that aren't in that position and still have to go to work to make the world that we want to enjoy.

There is an unintentional consequence of the constant barrage of messaging people get from those in that position on internet forums and social media.  It makes people dissatisfied with lives that someone 100 years ago would have done anything to have.  It makes people who are currently unemployed and struggling seem ever further than ever from getting to where they want to be because they perceive a standard that is not realistic to begin with.  There is a fine line between seeing something and considering it an aspirational goal and seeing something again and again to the point where you think there's something wrong with your life because it doesn't look like what you see in the media.

My alternative advice would be that whether your job sucks or not, make sure you have something to show for it.  Don't live paycheck to paycheck, build your personal balance sheet, make sure that your job contributes to your happiness outside of work if you can't be happy in your work.

It's always better if you can do that thing you love to do and get paid for it but not everyone is going to get to do that unless you are one of those rare people who can find satisfaction even in the shit jobs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
They are making too much money, or they are retarded, I have 8-5 mon -fri after that, closed, don't answer the phone, if I want to look at Arfcom and waste time, during work hours, like right now I do it
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

Well then ain’t that strange. You and I have the same job and I feel the same way as you. I have changed the way I live my life very drastically in the recent months. I pretty much live like the world is gonna end tomorrow.

I’m in Vegas right now waiting for my return flight. I literally have no fucken clue how much money I spent this weekend. But I do know it’s a bunch. Ya wanna know something? I don’t even care.

Perhaps not the most responsible plan of attack but at this point I really don’t care.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By denverdan:
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:
I learned this too late. I bought into the bullshit of being "productive" and wasted most of my life being caught in the chains of comfort. I resent every minute of overtime I have worked. If I had it to do over, I would choose a path that could best be described as "bum". As it is, I will coast on the remainder of the time I have to work, as it is too late to make any significant improvement to my quality of life.

Well then ain’t that strange. You and I have the same job and I feel the same way as you. I have changed the way I live my life very drastically in the recent months. I pretty much live like the world is gonna end tomorrow.

I’m in Vegas right now waiting for my return flight. I literally have no fucken clue how much money I spent this weekend. But I do know it’s a bunch. Ya wanna know something? I don’t even care.

Perhaps not the most responsible plan of attack but at this point I really don’t care.

Fuck yeah brother! I too, have been trying to change my view on life, and am adopting the same perspective.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Sold it all and bought a sailboat.  Currently in the Bahamas with a 7 yr old.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#17]
If you must slave for the man, it pays to not work for assholes and to be doing something you like.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Somebody's got to work the soulless jobs. Not everyone is cut out to live out their dreams. Some people just need to work to get themselves to the next day. I'm just glad it's not me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By kevins_garage:
Welcome to Costco, I love you!

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I like this plan.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:01:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#21]
I worked for a major corporation for 14 years and would have retired there if they had not closed my division.  

I traveled internationally for man years and then did EE work in research and development.  

Not all corporate jobs are soulless, I got awards and bonuses.  

My current gig was great when I started.  Corporate goons have burned things down in the last two years.  I retire in December, or maybe tomorrow.  It is over.

Somewhere in between I worked for a toxic slaughterhouse that fired at least two employees a week. They paid well.  This will burn your soul quickly and takes quite a bit of time to recover from.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

Someone has to do the shitty soulless jobs.  That's just a fact of life.  Every single man made thing we enjoy that we don't make for ourselves requires someone else to go to work to make it.  The world runs on a people who show up to work no matter how shitty the work is.  Until we perfect AI powered humanoid robots who fully duplicate human utility, there is no reality where everyone gets to live their best life 24/7.

The position you have to be in to even contemplate "breaking free from servitude" in the way OP is framing it is a pretty privileged position to begin with.  Those of us in that position are very fortunate even if we earned that position.  There has to be a little bit of humility in front of and gratitude for the people that aren't in that position and still have to go to work to make the world that we want to enjoy.

There is an unintentional consequence of the constant barrage of messaging people get from those in that position on internet forums and social media.  It makes people dissatisfied with lives that someone 100 years ago would have done anything to have.  It makes people who are currently unemployed and struggling seem ever further than ever from getting to where they want to be because they perceive a standard that is not realistic to begin with.  There is a fine line between seeing something and considering it an aspirational goal and seeing something again and again to the point where you think there's something wrong with your life because it doesn't look like what you see in the media.

My alternative advice would be that whether your job sucks or not, make sure you have something to show for it.  Don't live paycheck to paycheck, build your personal balance sheet, make sure that your job contributes to your happiness outside of work if you can't be happy in your work.

It's always better if you can do that thing you love to do and get paid for it but not everyone is going to get to do that unless you are one of those rare people who can find satisfaction even in the shit jobs.
View Quote

This perspective hasn't eluded me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Too late
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Well said.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:

Fuck yeah brother! I too, have been trying to change my view on life, and am adopting the same perspective.

View Quote

I’m most likely coming back in August. C’mon down and hang out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
There's a lot of "this" in this.
I've been fully retired for exactly two years.
When I left, I won't say that I was angry(I'd resolved that about five years earlier), but I was definitely bitter, done and eager to hit the door. I've done a lot of thinking, decompressing and reframing my perspectives since. I've considered what other paths I might have taken and what choices that I might have made. And I've come to terms with the fact that there was a common denominator in almost everything that pissed me off or sucked the joy out of my days-and it was me.
I've worked for some monumentally shitty people, some of whom were happy to make me a little side project for their own gratification, but I kept engaging with them, rising to the bait and internalizing every thing they did. I knew that they were snakes, and then I acted shocked when they bit me.
But they simply weren't supervillains. With a little patience, keeping my fucking dick sucker shut(never, ever accomplished) and maybe even pulling the big stick out of my ass every once in a while I could have experienced much smoother sailing.
Other people really aren't your main enemy, it's Time. Every moment you waste in obsession or righteous anger or wallowing in misery is just wasted.

I made enough money for my modest needs, Put my daughter through university, freed myself of all debt and funded a decent retirement by "suffering" through that career.
For a straight C student with zero Calling in life, deep interests in any field or vaulting ambitions...meh, it's enough.
I mean, there's still a few people who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire...but I wouldn't set fire to them, even if I could get away with it..

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

@20229mm

One of my favorite movies is Bringing Out The Dead
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#28]
NOW you tell me!!!  
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I used to have a sweet gig, worked about 50 hours a week. No weekends and north of 100k, I enjoyed it but was sick of having a boss.  I was planning on my own bussiness in 2 years
A friend convinced me to come run his new bussiness.
I worked 2x the hours 6+ days a week always on call and was miserable for less money in the end.
I was able to finally open my bussiness Jan 28 2020.
No ppp and the government essentially chained my doors March 16th.
Went back to my sweet gig and begged for a job.
Was given a less sweet gig that I worked 5 days a week 10-12  hours for less pay then any of it and my own place on weekends for free.

It took 2 years  for the bussiness to recover and pay its own bills let alone me.  
It was a long hard decision to not give up the bussiness and stay in the 9-5 world and work back to my sweet original job.
some days I really crave the idea of a 9-5 and then going home with no concerns.  Financially, mentally and emotionally it would have been way easier to stay .
Running a bussiness and dealing with employees and what they think are important problems is exhausting.
I do belive that this will work out better financially in the long run.  
And the best and worst part is now I get to spend every day at work with my Wife.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#30]
I guess I'm super rare. I like my job. Most of the time I'm working for myself. A few times I've worked for a company at their location for a year. Every project is something different and when I'm done I can look at it and say "I drew that" or estimated and bid on it, or was project coordinator or project manager and so on.

When I work for another company and not for myself I normally have one boss, the owner.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:46:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Danted] [#31]
Dupe
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#32]
For the majority of human history, a good day meant that you got to eat an entire turnip yourself instead of sharing it.
I got no complaints, I left in 2013 when my company offered a buyout at the same time they posted their new harassment rules, if you were accused you were guilty so it was a no brainer.
I had $35K put away for health insurance, at $300 a month I was GTG, then Obamacare kept increasing my premiums, up to a bit over $1k a month in three years so I went back to work.
At 65 my new company offered me a years pay to take a separation package and I jumped at it, lost a couple hundred in SS payments but I was still way ahead.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I took a pay cut to the tune of about $25k/year to go back to working on fighter jets.

I don’t have as much disposable income as I used to, but for the first time since I retired from active duty (2008), I’m happy with my job.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:12:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kikilee] [#34]
I worked upper management for a Fortune 500 company for 30 years. In addition to my pay I received stock options, 401 matching, reduced cost healthcare, paid tuition, paid vacation, personal days, and sick time. My wife worked for the same corporation. She took a buyout after 15 years (still pension eligible).
I retired at 53. I receive a generous pension every month. We made some better than average investments over the years. We are not what I would consider rich but we live in a beautiful home, we both drive newer cars we still have our health and we have a few dollars in the bank.
Life is GOOD!
I agree the grind can wear you down but, it can also pay dividends.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I was very fortunate to have realized this at an early age.  It took me a little longer to be even more grateful that I was fortunate enough to be able to choose how I earn a living.  So many people I know, even college graduates, are at the mercy of whatever job they can get.  Fuck that.  There is far more to work than just a paycheck.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:07:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 20229mm] [#36]
Originally Posted By C-4:

@20229mm

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:

@20229mm

I’m a medic.  The first half of that movie is not fiction.  It’s a friggin documentary.

Once he started hanging out with druggies we all go “ah. Ok.  This is bullshit.”
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd like to get out but don't know how to be honest.  I'm 49 and finally making a comfortable living after grinding for years.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Easy to say if you're a lower earner.  At the high ends as soon as you "drop out" there's a good chance your family is used to it, they'll simply divorce you then the judge will impute child support and alimony at whatever the max is you can potentially earn and simply throw you in the slammer if you stop earning it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Your ancestors worked countless hours tilling fields, storing food for winter, hunting and killing prey, fighting off beasts and invaders, building shelter with their bare hands, etc....  You work in an air-conditioned office and complain because someone might make you fill in a TPS report.  I pity you if you actually faced any sort of real adversity.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:22:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#40]
Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:
Your ancestors worked countless hours tilling fields, storing food for winter, hunting and killing prey, fighting off beasts and invaders, building shelter with their bare hands, etc....  You work in an air-conditioned office and complain because someone might make you fill in a TPS report.  I pity you if you actually faced any sort of real adversity.
View Quote

But 99.9% of our evolutionary history has been geared towards making us live for the hunt, building the shelter, fighting off the storm.  It comes naturally because it's the kind of adversity we're built for.  Filing TPS reports is soul sucking because it doesn't really fill the evolutionary niche we evolved to fill, even if it's the one we now have to fill.  This is obvious in some combat veterans etc who in weird ways "miss" the more basic, simple but brutal life of war over the TPS lifestyle awaiting them at home.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 49north:
If you must slave for the man, it pays to not work for assholes and to be doing something you like.
View Quote

I don't like what I do, certainly wouldn't do it for free.

But I've always said I'm more interested in controlling who I work for/with than I am what I'm working on.

I'm at a giant financial firm and it's not fulfilling BUT I like my team and we're managing the storms together.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Underscore_O_Three:
Sold it all and bought a sailboat.  Currently in the Bahamas with a 7 yr old.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm probably the outlier in that I love my job. I'm making the most money so far in my life however in today's economics it's abysmal.

I've always been poor, PTP. The wife and I are able to pay the bills. We have a roof over our heads and food on the table.

You'll never be able to appreciate the bigger things in life if you can't appreciate the little things.

God is good.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Bing productive isn't about killing yourself in a job you hate. Yes, we all need to pay the bills, build up some emergency savings, and something for retirement. When your job is necessary to chase meaningless possessions and take priorities over your family, then you have some problems.

I did a career in the military, and plan to work another 8-10 years at the most. The job isn't exciting, I'm not emotionally invested, it keeps me busy, I enjoy the environment, it's zero stress, I have very flexible hours and pretty much manage my own schedule and doesn't call me on the weekends...and it pays pretty well. I actually don't mind going to work. My wife got a late start on her career, so she's got a good 10 years to go, and she loves it, working on her doctorate. We don't sacrifice our time together one bit. It's only work if you must do it and you hate doing it...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:
View Quote

Survival is meaningful.

Staring into a computer, going to meetings and worrying if your dickhead boss is going to fire you, isn't.

Covid, lockdowns, the riots, the near deaths of both of my parents broke me.

I'm prepared to take a much lower wage job (if I have to) to work remotely (caring for my parents). I'm also trying to come up with things I can do from home as side hustles but commuting to the city and having some nitwit tap their watch 'we start at 8, and it's 8:10, why are you late?' is over for me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#46]
I have been extremely driven in life to always be doing something I WANT to do. Businesses that were successful (Still are today) and as long as I am building something I am happy. As soon as I am not happy I pop smoke.

Lots of people are scared to take the walk through that dark door of the unknown, but in every single case for me it has been an improvement.

Seriously

*Insert follow your dream motivational poster*
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Too late more me. I'm dead inside.

I've made a lot of poor choices in life. I've worked 60-72 hours a week for the past ten years in order for my family to be financially comfortable. As a result, I've missed a lot of firsts, special occasions, and time with them that I'll never get back.

I'm still stuck in that suck with the cost of living being what it is.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Less that 4 mo’s from now I’ll be taking it easy. I’ve worked corporate jobs for 38 years. I have a nice 401K and several pensions. Worked mainly in an office with trips to the ship or production floor, no hard labor so I’m in good health. Just watching the clock now. For the 3 years I worked in a department store prior to graduating college I’m pretty sure I wanted nothing to do working with public.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#49]
100% agreed!!
Attachment Attached File

It may kill me but I love it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By sirgilbert357:
I'd LOVE to have some soulless job right now. Being unemployed sucks.

Perspective. It matters.
View Quote

This.

Wishing you luck in the job search.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top