Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Look how people lived a couple hundred years ago, and before that.

What a bunch of spoiled rotten babies who think that going to a job they may not happen to enjoy that much for 40 hours a week, but allows them a decent standard of living with all our modern conveniences, is somehow some kind of burden.

I for one am glad for this stupid anti-work bullshit. My kid is going to have a good work ethic and not mind hard work, so he's going to stand head and shoulders above all these losers. We're supposed to be MEN. We're supposed to PROVIDE, not find "happiness", "contentment", or "fulfillment" in our work. If you're fortunate enough to enjoy your work that's a nice bonus, and you're lucky. It's not a requirement.

I don't think our ancestors "enjoyed" back breaking labor from sunup to sundown everyday, but they did what needed to be done, and so must we. The difference is we have it incredibly easy by comparison.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hhsmiley:

What a bunch of spoiled rotten babies who think that going to a job they may not happen to enjoy that much for 40 hours a week, but allows them a decent standard of living with all our modern conveniences, is somehow some kind of burden.

I for one am glad for this stupid anti-work bullshit. My kid is going to have a good work ethic and not mind hard work, so he's going to stand head and shoulders above all these losers. We're supposed to be MEN. We're supposed to PROVIDE, not find "happiness", "contentment", or "fulfillment" in our work. If you're fortunate enough to enjoy your work that's a nice bonus, and you're lucky. It's not a requirement.

I don't think our ancestors "enjoyed" back breaking labor from sunup to sundown everyday, but they did what needed to be done, and so must we. The difference is we have it incredibly easy by comparison.

View Quote

I bet our ancestors that lived in tropical fishing villages didn't have to all day back breaking labor.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Theres the opposite of this as well.  

I got teenagers and when trying to choose a career there seems to be this unrealistic expectation that you'll have a career you absolutely love.  Wake up every day excited to go to work.

Bullshit, pick a career that you'll be good at that'll provide a good living.  Then you'll have disposable income to indulge in things that make you happy.   When you turn a hobby into a career it's no longer a hobby it's a job.  

View Quote

hasn't been my experience

I did the responsible thing for 20 years- stable checks, decent money, decent hours- but I couldn't go back.

started turning my hobby into my profession and opened my own business.

I spend more hours "working" now, but they're hours I enjoy, at my discretion, where I'm the one accountable.

Im no small business expert, but turning a hobby into a job, can just mean you enjoy your job.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Clockwork138:
Too late more me. I'm dead inside.

I've made a lot of poor choices in life. I've worked 60-72 hours a week for the past ten years in order for my family to be financially comfortable. As a result, I've missed a lot of firsts, special occasions, and time with them that I'll never get back.

I'm still stuck in that suck with the cost of living being what it is.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my soulless job, it pays well and doesn't occupy my brain outside of work.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
You know.. I've been thinking about starting that OnlyFans for a long time.
View Quote
I think I have what it takes to be a taint model.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By miseses:
Easy to say if you're a lower earner.  At the high ends as soon as you "drop out" there's a good chance your family is used to it, they'll simply divorce you then the judge will impute child support and alimony at whatever the max is you can potentially earn and simply throw you in the slammer if you stop earning it.
View Quote

Better sooner than later then
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:
Your ancestors worked countless hours tilling fields, storing food for winter, hunting and killing prey, fighting off beasts and invaders, building shelter with their bare hands, etc....  You work in an air-conditioned office and complain because someone might make you fill in a TPS report.  I pity you if you actually faced any sort of real adversity.
View Quote

An easier life isn't a more rewarding or meaningful life
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I retired at 47.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

I’m most likely coming back in August. C’mon down and hang out.
View Quote

I am tempted for sure.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:59:30 AM EDT
[#11]
At 58 years old, I too have come to realize this. In my last job, 80% of my co-workers and supervisors were great to work with.  That's one of the reasons why I stayed as long as I did.

The other twenty percent can go die in a fire.

Another reason why I stayed was because it was a job.  Thirteen years ago, I was laid off as a result of the great recession.  I was off work for over 2 1/2 years.  At one point I was 3 weeks from being homeless, willing to take any job to keep a roof over my head, regardless of pay.  Employers sense that stuff and take advantage of it.

It is so nice to see employers sweat over finding good employees, compared to 1980-2012.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By midcap:
I am not going to lie.

COVID broke me....the lock downs broke me, etc.

I am at the point where if I can provide for my family and spend at much time at home I am going to.

I don't need millions in the bank.

View Quote

It worked. You will own nothing and like it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:08:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:13:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I've always dreamt of being my own boss. But aside from tiptoeing the legal minefield of becoming an FFL, I don't have any skills or the desire to perform any services that I don't genuinely enjoy doing. Or fuck it, maybe FFL/shooting range is the only way for me to go.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:31:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stlrain0341] [#15]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:

I bet our ancestors that lived in tropical fishing villages didn't have to all day back breaking labor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TaskForce:

Generally speaking those ancestors didn't amount to much and were then conquered by the ancestors who worked hard.

Probably a good lesson somewhere in that.

ETA: people have short memories. Unemployment goes to 10% and this place will be full of people begging for any soulless job available.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By VAbull:
I agree to a point . I worked for someone else all my life , it can suck . But I also have a paid for house , several vehicles , a retirement plan , many paid vacations and 100's of thousands of dollars paid medical procedures done . It's not all doom and gloom .
View Quote

Bravo! I'm enjoying my 16th year of retirement. I don't regret a minute of the toil it took to get me where I am today. Hard work only kills the weak.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been tracking actually monthly minimum spending and desired spending vs income for a decade now and have a very good picture of what is needed.

Once passive income streams alone (not touching principal) are enough to comfortably maintain that + increases indefinitely, I'm DONE with the corporate world, at least on a full time basis. My age by then won't matter. It's about capability.

I've seen too many examples of people working until death or just before death. Even extremely successful people, like the president of my company, who worked constantly until his death at 69. Never got to retire. F that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By sirgilbert357:
I'd LOVE to have some soulless job right now. Being unemployed sucks.

Perspective. It matters.
View Quote

I've been there before. Nothing makes an ambitious person feel more worthless. Even though I often don't feel like getting out of bed on Mondays, once I get back into the groove at the office and start getting things done and moving forward, I remember how fortunate I am.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:57:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#20]
Leaving my soulless job in July to go back to ornamental ironworking. With the intent to keep learning and transition into owning my own company.

I am 22 for reference.

Something about making stuff like this that just elevates the human spirit, even if it is a sizable paycut.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

The position you have to be in to even contemplate "breaking free from servitude" in the way OP is framing it is a pretty privileged position to begin with.  Those of us in that position are very fortunate even if we earned that position.  There has to be a little bit of humility in front of and gratitude for the people that aren't in that position and still have to go to work to make the world that we want to enjoy.

View Quote

The people in that position look at those of us doing the actual work with contempt.  Maybe you’re part of the < 0.01% that are the exception?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Soon...............
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I just had this discussion with a coworker not 5 minutes ago. His advice was to ride it out, but I don't like anything about the job except for the paycheck. As much as I hate job searching, I began the process again last week.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:16:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: macros73] [#24]
I have nothing but respect for everyone who has either achieved financial escape velocity or those who are on a firm course towards it. Nothing but respect for those of you who are trying, or have tried, failed, and given up.

I make okay money at an indoor job where I don't spend my days digging ditches, and I'm thankful for it. That doesn't mean I don't go to bed each night hoping not to wake up the following morning. The job's taken a distinct turn for the worse over the past year, with borderline senseless work dumped on a bare bones group, keeping us busy enough that there is rarely enough time to get the important shit done without getting barked at over the unessential.

I keep at it, as the house needs paid off and the kids need to eat. Having a job that pays the bills isn't something everyone has, and along with the banality and disgust, I also feel guilt over not appreciating that no one in our house is going hungry.

My advice to those of you who are aren't already stuck in a "hope you die before you're fired" track: embrace FIRE. The corporate grind will suck everything out of you. It's a cliche for a reason. We are not here to spend the bulk of our years making someone else rich. Sock money away in Roth's, 401k's, every vehicle you have available, reach that escape velocity, and spend the rest of your time on this planet exploring and appreciating it and each other.

If you don't own your own business, seriously consider changing jobs at least every 3 to 4 years to avoid corporate capture. If you do own your own business, especially if it's successful, don't let it become you forever. Keep track of that number that means escape velocity and punch out when you reach it. If you can sell the business to achieve independence earlier in life, do it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#25]

My career or lack there of is one the greatest regrets of my life. It has destroyed my health both physically and mentally along with whatever creativity I used to have. Frankly I am tired of corporate America and their bullshit. I was laid off for the 7th time about a month ago.

My Indian boss laid me off, told me my position was eliminated and than gave my job to another Indian. The joint was probably 80-90% Indian at this point. People say whites are racist, you havent seen anything till you have been around Indians.

I have been an IT corporate slave since I was 22, been working nonstop since I was 14. The IT field is a shit show today between the corporate bullshit, the offshoring and of course the Indians. The stress level is insane when you have a job between the crazy demands, the hours and the constant threat of getting laid off.

I am tired.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By hhsmiley:I for one am glad for this stupid anti-work bullshit.
View Quote

I'd bet this and many others is the work of a foreign operation.

At least it makes me think better of the kids if I can blame Russia for their anti-conservative core beliefs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I am not going to lie.

I am at the point where if I can provide for my family and spend at much time at home I am going to.

View Quote

Covid made us realize they can shut it all down, take away livelihood, and control us.  Agree with you.  I’m planning to retire early in 3 to 5 years.  I’m done.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#28]

But 99.9% of our evolutionary history has been geared towards making us live for the hunt, building the shelter, fighting off the storm.  It comes naturally because it's the kind of adversity we're built for.  Filing TPS reports is soul sucking because it doesn't really fill the evolutionary niche we evolved to fill, even if it's the one we now have to fill.  This is obvious in some combat veterans etc who in weird ways "miss" the more basic, simple but brutal life of war over the TPS lifestyle awaiting them at home.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:
Your ancestors worked countless hours tilling fields, storing food for winter, hunting and killing prey, fighting off beasts and invaders, building shelter with their bare hands, etc....  You work in an air-conditioned office and complain because someone might make you fill in a TPS report.  I pity you if you actually faced any sort of real adversity.

But 99.9% of our evolutionary history has been geared towards making us live for the hunt, building the shelter, fighting off the storm.  It comes naturally because it's the kind of adversity we're built for.  Filing TPS reports is soul sucking because it doesn't really fill the evolutionary niche we evolved to fill, even if it's the one we now have to fill.  This is obvious in some combat veterans etc who in weird ways "miss" the more basic, simple but brutal life of war over the TPS lifestyle awaiting them at home.

I dunno.  

My uncle was infantry in Vietnam and he hates fucking camping now with a passion.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By C-4:

The people in that position look at those of us doing the actual work with contempt.  Maybe you’re part of the < 0.01% that are the exception?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:
Originally Posted By woodsie:

The position you have to be in to even contemplate "breaking free from servitude" in the way OP is framing it is a pretty privileged position to begin with.  Those of us in that position are very fortunate even if we earned that position.  There has to be a little bit of humility in front of and gratitude for the people that aren't in that position and still have to go to work to make the world that we want to enjoy.

Yes, that's specifically why I'm saying it.  Most people don't think about it but when they do, they treat people differently.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m trying to start a new job that would be a godsend for me. Problem is I need to do a 4 week unpaid internship. I can’t make it that long without a paycheck. I’ve tried getting a loan for $2k but I have no credit history so, guess I’m screwed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Tobysi:
I’m trying to start a new job that would be a godsend for me. Problem is I need to do a 4 week unpaid internship. I can’t make it that long without a paycheck. I’ve tried getting a loan for $2k but I have no credit history so, guess I’m screwed.
View Quote

How old are you?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

@Procyon

Love that movie.  My friend quotes that scene all the time.  I don’t quite have what I consider “fuck you” money, but I’m getting there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:28:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: macros73] [#33]
View Quote

I'd be real wary of that "opportunity." Sounds like a good way to give away 4 weeks of your life for free, then get told it isn't working out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By macros73:

I'd be real wary of that "opportunity." Sounds like a good way to give away 4 weeks of your life for free, then get told it isn't working out.
View Quote

My would be boss is a family friend. I trust them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macros73:

Vacuum cleaner sales aren't any way to make a living.

Neither is slavery.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:28:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marlinfan] [#36]
I loved farming and I love my dad. Unfortunately he was terrible at farming, so I left and work a corporate gig.

Way less hours and a consistent paycheck and I don’t bitch too much.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Work at a career that gives you skills.

Use those skills to start side gig.

Mature the side gig til you're comfortable and then make it the full time gig.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

Yep, this is the other side of that coin.  I'm not sure what the answer is, but perspective is importent and ultimately it's going to come down to a balanced approach.

I can say though, being close to the top of the corporate hierarchy, almost everyone at the top seems to have sacrificed their lives for the career and it sure doesn't look like winning to me.  They thrown away personal relationships, health, any interests outside of the job itself, and when they "retire" (usually they are pushed out) they are left with nothing.  They have money, I guess, but all of them are hollow, broken people.  And alone, in addition to everything else.  Maybe it's just the ones I've seen...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
Originally Posted By VAbull:
I agree to a point . I worked for someone else all my life , it can suck . But I also have a paid for house , several vehicles , a retirement plan , many paid vacations and 100's of thousands of dollars paid medical procedures done . It's not all doom and gloom .

Yep, this is the other side of that coin.  I'm not sure what the answer is, but perspective is importent and ultimately it's going to come down to a balanced approach.

I can say though, being close to the top of the corporate hierarchy, almost everyone at the top seems to have sacrificed their lives for the career and it sure doesn't look like winning to me.  They thrown away personal relationships, health, any interests outside of the job itself, and when they "retire" (usually they are pushed out) they are left with nothing.  They have money, I guess, but all of them are hollow, broken people.  And alone, in addition to everything else.  Maybe it's just the ones I've seen...
Pink Floyd wrote an excellent album about this.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#39]
As long as management is ok, it's not a bad gig.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:47:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#40]
Both my parents did "OK" for themselves, working soul sucking jobs.  They're retired, old and miserable.

I'm getting old in my 40's but I will tell you, I don't really hate my job.  Something, something, never work a day in your life.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Too late for me...
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Happy_Hour_Hero:
I never understood how self employed people call it freedom. The people I know with the least work life balance all own their own company. There is no freedom, they're on call 24/7, every vacation too.

View Quote

This is their choice.  PLENTY of ‘corporate’ or ‘large business’ employees take work with them on vacation. Think about a report or a project needing to be completed.  HOPEING the folks in the office cover it.  It is t a self-employed business owner thing.  It’s a mentality thing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By marmelstien:
If I knew how to get out I would.
View Quote

Send you boss an email saying ‘I quit. Here is my two weeks.’ After that you’ll figure it out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#44]
I am not going to lie.

View Quote

Pretty much same.

I want as much time at home and with people I love. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze anymore.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
I'd start my own business if I knew what the hell to do.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Don't spend your entire life working.  FIFY.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#47]
try self employment.  you get to work all the time and then some.

work isnt suppose to be a party.  suck it up, cupcakes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By sirgilbert357:
I'd LOVE to have some soulless job right now. Being unemployed sucks.

Perspective. It matters.
View Quote
You're not alone. I lost my job of nearly 14 years last month, it sucks. I am struggling to get any traction anywhere I apply, I can't even get a faaacking intial interview for positions on paper I'm quite qualified for. It definitely beats a man down. I got a few months of severance so I'm not in the cold yet but this is definitely not going as easy as I initially hoped
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for the reminder.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#50]
We're supposed to be MEN. We're supposed to PROVIDE, not find "happiness", "contentment", or "fulfillment" in our work. If you're fortunate enough to enjoy your work that's a nice bonus, and you're lucky. It's not a requirement.

View Quote

My job isn't hard or dangerous. It gives me little enjoyment and a fair bit of frustration. I get to work indoors. I get paid and I go home and take care of my family.

It gives me the time to work on the mower, fix the wife's car, help the boy with homework, cook dinner - those things are what fulfills me now.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top