User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:59:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:

How exactly did Fallout 4 “completely ruin power armor”?
View Quote

You can have a suit of power armor within something like 10 minutes of leaving the vault.  And there are so many suits all over the place that it's ridiculous.  And since they got rid of damage threshold, these suits of power armor which were supposed to, you know, let you wade into heavy fire in the battle during wartime, will get damaged (and you'll take at least some damage) from literally anything, including someone punching it or bugs hitting it.

It didn't "completely ruin" it, but it sure did change it, and take it from a rare prestige item to "You get a power armor, and you get a power armor, and YOU get a power armor!"
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:00:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#2]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

You can have a suit of power armor within something like 10 minutes of leaving the vault.  And there are so many suits all over the place that it's ridiculous.  And since they got rid of damage threshold, these suits of power armor which were supposed to, you know, let you wade into heavy fire in the battle during wartime, will get damaged (and you'll take at least some damage) from literally anything, including someone punching it or bugs hitting it.

It didn't "completely ruin" it, but it sure did change it, and take it from a rare prestige item to "You get a power armor, and you get a power armor, and YOU get a power armor!"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I basically never bothered with power armor in any other Fallout game, and barely used it in 4.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:58:26 AM EDT
[#3]
FO3: search for your Dad
FONV: search for you Dad Benny
FO4: search for your Dad Son
FO76: search for your Dad real content
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By bagofcrabs65:
FO3: search for your Dad
FONV: search for you Dad Benny
FO4: search for your Dad Son
FO76: search for your Dad real content wallet
View Quote

fixt
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By deadmau5er:
Liberty Prime is the greatest part of Fallout - can we all agree on this?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Redownloaded F4 last night... The search for good mods is in full swing.. I have found an invisibility mod, a lock pick mod, a cheat room mod and a point mod so far.. Gonna see if any of them work tonight.. PS version.. Last play through was on xbox years ago.. So some of those mods wont work because of Sonys rule BS
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]
New Vegas with 200+ mods to make it what you want

New Vegas Dust is great but hardcore
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:07:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TaskForce] [#9]
Originally Posted By ToxicMasculinity:
New Vegas with 200+ mods to make it what you want

New Vegas Dust is great but hardcore
View Quote

200+ mods? wtf? I played NV when it was new on pc and I didn't even think about mods back then. PC people wonder why games don't work for them anymore.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Best NV mod was the jukebox mod that added a bunch of songs.  Iirc it was a performance killer, though
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Best NV mod was the jukebox mod that added a bunch of songs.  Iirc it was a performance killer, though
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Loxias:
For those running either FONV or FO4 on PC, what mods are you running?
View Quote

Been forever, and I'm sure it's been deprecated, but Project Nevada was a lot of fun in NV, making it much more Arma-like.  Tale of Two Wastelands, where you play FO3 in the NV engine, was very appreciated.  I actually like Broken Steel quite a bit with it, as well as Operation Anchorage.  But then I liked Dead Money.  And hated Lonesome Road.

For anyone wanting the perfect sendoff to New Vegas, give Dust a try.  Typical Slav grimdark, and hard as fuck, but the changes to the lore are consistent and thought through, IMHO.

Definitely looking for the Fallout show now.  Thanks for the reviews.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:52:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By justsayin:

I'm guessing ALL my mods will tank.
View Quote

Probably
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:09:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I turned my Fallout 4 into a nightmare zombie apocalypse scenario. Installed the Pilgrim ENB atmosphere and environment mod. Reskinned the feral ghouls so that they’re more terrifying. Made it so that hordes of ghouls converge on you everywhere and anywhere on the map any time you fire an unsilenced weapon. Plus a bunch of M4 and modern body armor mods.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:37:19 AM EDT
[#15]
New Vegas, but 4 is fine too. Just FYI you can download New Vegas free right now if you have xbox live gamepass. Also, I'm going to be the nonconformist as usual and say that Fallout 76 is not bad at all, and addictive as hell. Especially the recurring public events. It plays very much like 4, but in addition to the enemies and NPCs, you have a dozen or so online players logging on and off at random, and you can buy items from (and sell items to) them for caps in vending machines. I must have done the Fasnacht event 80 times.

Fallout 76 Has Made An INSANE COMEBACK...
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:37:36 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
I stayed with Skyrim 1.5.97 for that reason.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By wpsharpshooter:
Redownloaded F4 last night... The search for good mods is in full swing.. I have found an invisibility mod, a lock pick mod, a cheat room mod and a point mod so far.. Gonna see if any of them work tonight.. PS version.. Last play through was on xbox years ago.. So some of those mods wont work because of Sonys rule BS
View Quote

Bethesda is supposed to release a big update in about a week that will almost certainly break a lot of mods.  On PC you could just copy your F4 directory to another location so Steam doesn't overwrite it, but I don't know how you can prevent a PS update from wrecking your modded playthrough.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

Bethesda is supposed to release a big update in about a week that will almost certainly break a lot of mods.  On PC you could just copy your F4 directory to another location so Steam doesn't overwrite it, but I don't know how you can prevent a PS update from wrecking your modded playthrough.
View Quote

Well I have only messed with the game for a couple of hrs.. Havent made it past Concord yet. It seems the mods I am running is bugging the game.. When I go to clear the museum, a few of the raiders are invisible.. Im going to have to add and subtract to see what mod is making it fucky..
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

But no one gets a fusion core.

Unless you have a lemon-powered generator. I keep mine in storage unless I need one, it costs 50 caps per day to maintain, so one generator at Outpost Z, one at Starlight, and one at Hangman's Alley suffice in Survival with 4 cores on my person and 4-6 cores on Dogmeat.

I walk around in X01 armor 24x7, along with Heather in X01, another companion in PA or Ada, and Dogmeat. I don't bother to collect frames or build a garage besides putting each companion in a set and sending them somewhere useful.

I like the feeling of being a crew of wrecking balls just blowing through obstacles as PA clad people should be, and not having to slow-walk back to wherever I left the armor to get it when needed.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Some folks prefer it to be something you level up to or earn, but once you pass that gateway you can just use it like armor.  I'm in this camp.

FO4 there's no earning, it's just limited by being somewhat clunky, limited fuel, and it's also not staggeringly better than the best conventional armors.  For me, that meant I basically never use it in an honestly playthrough of FO4.

I can see merits in both approaches, and a lot of the problem in F04 is fixed with a simple mod to make fusion cores last (a lot) longer.  Mostly I just don't think they got that balance quite right, and in an honest playthrough that means you are not going to use it very much.  Which kind of sucks when it's one of the main cool tech items.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dbrad197:
For those that don't know , FO 4 is getting a next gen optimization and some added content on the 26th of this month.

version number will change, so FOSE will be borked until its updated, and nothing that requires FOSE will run either

But that should be the worst of it.  wait 3 or 4 days for fose to update, then run f4edit to be sure nothing else got overritten

if youre smart enough to successfully mod games, then youre smart enough to survive an update
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Slare:

Some folks prefer it to be something you level up to or earn, but once you pass that gateway you can just use it like armor.  I'm in this camp.

FO4 there's no earning, it's just limited by being somewhat clunky, limited fuel, and it's also not staggeringly better than the best conventional armors.  For me, that meant I basically never use it in an honestly playthrough of FO4.

I can see merits in both approaches, and a lot of the problem in F04 is fixed with a simple mod to make fusion cores last (a lot) longer.  Mostly I just don't think they got that balance quite right, and in an honest playthrough that means you are not going to use it very much.  Which kind of sucks when it's one of the main cool tech items.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Slare:

I like the way Horizon balanced the power armor. It starts off without much damage resistance until you level up the requisite skills/perks and craft upgrades which require rare materials dropped by legendary enemies that you could be using to craft your own upgraded weapons instead.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Best Moments Of Liberty Prime
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:47:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#27]
Originally Posted By Quintin:
I enjoyed FO3 more than either.

I felt New Vegas was really punishing early game starting out. I crawled out the grave in that game running for my life, the difficulty seemed excessive compared to FO3 early game. I lost interest in it very quickly because of that.

FO4, I got bored of the settlement building thing. I just wanted to explore and shoot super mutants in the face.
View Quote

I had the opposite experience. FO3 was more of a challenge for me than NV, but that was likely due to me already having experience with Bethesda fallout by the time NV came out.  I cleared vault 34 at level 4 without firing a shot just by standing behind Veronica after handing her a suit of power armor from one of the dead patrols and a ballistic fist I bought from the brotherhood.  FO3 was extremely easy if you abused shotgun stealth crits though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I love love love NV. Only game on my Steam account with 100% achievements.

I tried FO4 a few years ago and couldn't really get into it. Will probably try again from scratch when the big content update drops on 4/25.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:59:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I started this thread partly because I wanted to replay a Fallout game after watching the TV show and couldn’t decide between FNV AND F4.

ARFCOM GD has spoken: New Vegas it is.

Though I will say, when I was retrieving FNV from my PS3 box, this one was looking pretty tempting:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Beat the main Fallout 4 story earlier. BoS all the way, fuck the Railroad. Now to build a nice power armor collection and set up A Tale of Two Wastelands for my Fallout 3 and New Vegas playthroughs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:14:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I started this thread partly because I wanted to replay a Fallout game after watching the TV show and couldn’t decide between FNV AND F4.

Though I will say, when I was retrieving FNV from my PS3 box, this one was looking pretty tempting:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_8223_jpeg-3196413.JPG
View Quote

Best farcry still IMO.
Vaas was one of the best video game villains ever.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:18:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

Best farcry still IMO.
View All Quotes

Best farcry still IMO.

After 3, 4 was the only Far Cry I played.  4 was good, but 3 was great.

Have you played the ones after 4? If so, what is your opinion on them?  I’ve heard mixed reviews, at best.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:20:43 AM EDT
[#33]
New Vegas was a great game.   4 is fucking trash.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:24:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Have you played the ones after 4? If so, what is your opinion on them?  I’ve heard mixed reviews, at best.
View Quote

5 is meh, 6 is slightly less meh in my opinion. 4 and 3 are the best.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:59:55 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Best farcry still IMO.

2 was WILD, 3 was excellent, 4 was even better imho. 5 was great, 6 was trash.

IMHO
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:25:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#36]
If I want a story I watch a movie or read a book.

And for that reason its fallout 4 by a HUGE margin. New Vegas is not fun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

IMHO

Maybe y’all could tell me how accurate the following is:

After 4, I remember people complaining that one of them had “kidnappings” where you’d just be out and about and you’d randomly get kidnapped, taken another location, and have to escape.  There was also no way to turn it off.  That sounded VERY annoying.

I also saw some complaints about one of the post-4 ones where you had to frequently change out your ammo (AP, HP, etc). And it wasn’t that there was a bonus or a slight reduction in efficiency.  It was a massive difference.  And you had to do it often. Again, no way to turn it off.

Also, enemies respawning too quickly.  You’d take an outpost and before you even had time to leave, the enemies would respawn and attack you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Maybe y’all could tell me how accurate the following is:

After 4, I remember people complaining that one of them had “kidnappings” where you’d just be out and about and you’d randomly get kidnapped, taken another location, and have to escape.  There was also no way to turn it off.  That sounded VERY annoying.

I also saw some complaints about one of the post-4 ones where you had to frequently change out your ammo (AP, HP, etc). And it wasn’t that there was a bonus or a slight reduction in efficiency.  It was a massive difference.  And you had to do it often. Again, no way to turn it off.

Also, enemies respawning too quickly.  You’d take an outpost and before you even had time to leave, the enemies would respawn and attack you.
View Quote

5 is the kidnappings one. 6 is definitely the ammo change one. Tbh I didn’t have any issue with the ammo system, I only ran the AP and explosive ammo. AP for foot soldiers and explosive for vehicles. I don’t remember any enemy respawn issues from either game.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

3 will always be the best IMO.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By FALFOX:
New Vegas, but 4 is fine too. Just FYI you can download New Vegas free right now if you have xbox live gamepass. Also, I'm going to be the nonconformist as usual and say that Fallout 76 is not bad at all, and addictive as hell. Especially the recurring public events. It plays very much like 4, but in addition to the enemies and NPCs, you have a dozen or so online players logging on and off at random, and you can buy items from (and sell items to) them for caps in vending machines. I must have done the Fasnacht event 80 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KetCU6n9piQ
View Quote
I'm with you. I never had any big complaints with 76 although the community sure shit all over it
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I started this thread partly because I wanted to replay a Fallout game after watching the TV show and couldn't decide between FNV AND F4.

View Quote
I think I ended up playing more Just Cause than Far Cry. Far Cry 3 was a few hours, Just Cause 2 was 100+. I may need to go back to FC3. I did play a lot of Far Cry 5 though
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:

Yeah they updated it a lot. If it had an offline mode I'd be more inclined to check it out again.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TaskForce:
Originally Posted By dbrad197:

I was going to leave out the "just kidding" part but didn't feel like dealing with death threat DMs tonight.

I haven't played 76 since the first couple weeks of release, I heard the additions have made it a little better but l'll just stick to my 4 and NV play throughs I think.

Yeah they updated it a lot. If it had an offline mode I'd be more inclined to check it out again.
If you want what is essentially "offline" (single player) mode, you have to have to pay a subscription fee to access your own private server. Bear in mind that this is single player gameplay all of the drawbacks of online having and none of the benefits of a real offline mode. I did it for a while and it was nice, but I got tired of paying the fee each month for something that should just be included.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:53:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#43]

Maybe y'all could tell me how accurate the following is:

After 4, I remember people complaining that one of them had "kidnappings" where you'd just be out and about and you'd randomly get kidnapped, taken another location, and have to escape.  There was also no way to turn it off.  That sounded VERY annoying.

I also saw some complaints about one of the post-4 ones where you had to frequently change out your ammo (AP, HP, etc). And it wasn't that there was a bonus or a slight reduction in efficiency.  It was a massive difference.  And you had to do it often. Again, no way to turn it off.

Also, enemies respawning too quickly.  You'd take an outpost and before you even had time to leave, the enemies would respawn and attack you.
View All Quotes

Have you played the ones after 4? If so, what is your opinion on them?  I've heard mixed reviews, at best.

IMHO

After 4, I remember people complaining that one of them had "kidnappings" where you'd just be out and about and you'd randomly get kidnapped, taken another location, and have to escape.  There was also no way to turn it off.  That sounded VERY annoying.

I also saw some complaints about one of the post-4 ones where you had to frequently change out your ammo (AP, HP, etc). And it wasn't that there was a bonus or a slight reduction in efficiency.  It was a massive difference.  And you had to do it often. Again, no way to turn it off.

Also, enemies respawning too quickly.  You'd take an outpost and before you even had time to leave, the enemies would respawn and attack you.
Yes, there are a few parts in FC5 where you are attacked and forced to lose and get kidnapped to move the story along. Forced loss mechanics are fucking bullshit in any game that implements them. It's lazy asinine bullshit. If you want a super hard fight that will likely result in a loss and move the story along based on that loss, fine. You better implement a way to win without that being forced to lose control of the game and lose.

The Kai Lang fight in Mass Effect 3 pisses me off TO THIS DAY.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Alien:
Yes, there are a few parts in FC5 where you are attacked and forced to lose and get kidnapped to move the story along. Forced loss mechanics are fucking bullshit in any game that implements them. It's lazy asinine bullshit. If you want a super hard fight that will likely result in a loss and move the story along based on that loss, fine. You better implement a way to win without that being forced to lose control of the game and lose.

View All Quotes

Have you played the ones after 4? If so, what is your opinion on them?  I've heard mixed reviews, at best.

IMHO

If the kidnapping is part of the story, that’s one thing.  But I was made to believe it was a random event that happened throughout the game.  Like you’d be fucking around in free roam and then all of sudden you’d be “kidnapped” and forced to deal with that whether you wanted to or not.  That was the reason I never bought 5.

Is that not the case?

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#45]

If the kidnapping is part of the story, that’s one thing.  But I was made to believe it was a random event that happened throughout the game.  Like you’d be fucking around in free roam and then all of sudden you’d be “kidnapped” and forced to deal with that whether you wanted to or not.  That was the reason I never bought 5.

Is that not the case?

View Quote

It’s solely part of the story. I never had it happen as a random event and I’ve played through it 3 times.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:53:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#46]

Is that not the case?

View All Quotes

Is that not the case?

RDR2 killed me like that.  Here's an RPG that lets you make impactful choices, gain skills, gain resources, gain weapons/disguises, etc..  Then you're forced to make an obviously stupid decision because someone in your party says so, and you lose everything, etc.. So you RPG it again, work your way up... AND THEY DO IT AGAIN.  That's so lazy that I just quit there and never went back.

"But it's a story-based game" - lazy simps being apologists for bad game design
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#47]

RDR2 killed me like that.  Here's an RPG that lets you make impactful choices, gain skills, gain resources, gain weapons/disguises, etc..  Then you're forced to make a stupid decision because someone in your party says so, and you lose everything, etc.. So you RPG it again, work your way up... AND THEY DO IT AGAIN.  That's so lazy that I just quit there and never went back.

View Quote

Wait you never finished RDR2? Bro you’re missing out lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#49]

It’s solely part of the story. I never had it happen as a random event and I’ve played through it 3 times.
View All Quotes

Is that not the case?

Then what’s the deal with all the reviews I see with people complaining about the kidnapping/capture “missions”?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:58:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#50]

View All Quotes

RDR2 killed me like that.  Here's an RPG that lets you make impactful choices, gain skills, gain resources, gain weapons/disguises, etc..  Then you're forced to make a stupid decision because someone in your party says so, and you lose everything, etc.. So you RPG it again, work your way up... AND THEY DO IT AGAIN.  That's so lazy that I just quit there and never went back.

I sometimes stay awake at night, wondering just how many more times I could have had "Just kidding, you lose everything, now start over!" pulled on me.  

One of my favorite memories of the game was running on my horse along a trail at night, and some douchenozzle on a horse coming the other way ran right into me, and it killed him.  So, immediately, the po-op was out for me, because... IDK, they're clairvoyant.   So I dismounted and started carrying the body away to hide it, because I dindu nuffin.   RIGHT THEN in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT comes ANOTHER person who sees me carrying the body, and starts screaming and running to the cops.  So I drop the body, mount up, and go after this snitch.  I don't want to kill him, because I'm not a killer, I'm just misunderstood... so I lasso the dude and start tying him up.

AGAIN, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, ANOTHER RANDOM CITIZEN COMES TROTTING DOWN THE TRAIL, because evidently, that's how things are in the middle of nowhere in early America.  They see me lassoing this dude and start screaming and running for the cops.  At this point, I'm fed up with this bullshit and shoot them, shoot the dude I've lassoed, and start hiding the bodies.... AND ANOTHER DUDE COMES ALONG RIGHT THEN.  So a bullet they get.  AND ANOTHER PERSON.  AND ANOTHER.  I spent a good solid 40 minutes just slaughtering countless droves of people who just *happened* to be out for a stroll in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, honestly just trying to get them to quit coming so I could stop slaughtering and get back to my business.  Eventually, the cops showed up, and I killed them and started running for all I was worth.

It was wild.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top