BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
New Vegas and can't even compare. I could never beat 4 because for some reason the script kept breaking on me and I couldn't complete missions. Damn game was so flaky that friendly people would just randomly attack me out of the blue for no reason.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:04:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

Wait you never finished RDR2? Bro you’re missing out lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

RDR2 killed me like that.  Here's an RPG that lets you make impactful choices, gain skills, gain resources, gain weapons/disguises, etc..  Then you're forced to make a stupid decision because someone in your party says so, and you lose everything, etc.. So you RPG it again, work your way up... AND THEY DO IT AGAIN.  That's so lazy that I just quit there and never went back.

"But it's a story-based game" - lazy simps being apologists for bad game design

Wait you never finished RDR2? Bro you’re missing out lol

RDR2 is great for a once through, but it has zero replay value for me and that’s coming from someone who replayed RDR at least 4 times.

The main reason is…

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:04:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Obrez] [#3]
Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:
New Vegas and can't even compare. I could never beat 4 because for some reason the script kept breaking on me and I couldn't complete missions. Damn game was so flaky that friendly people would just randomly attack me out of the blue for no reason.
View Quote

I had the exact opposite experience. NV was such a mess I would get attacked by the legion with their absurd armor and before the last guy's severed head finished rolling down the hill, another group would be spawned and on the attack.

I never much cared for the NV map setup either.

I do like the overall vibe of NV more. FO4 may be sleeker and more detailed but NV was something special even with it's problems. I call it a tie, if only for all the bugs I had to work through with NV.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:04:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#4]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:

Then what’s the deal with all the reviews I see with people complaining about the kidnapping/capture “missions”?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_8233_jpeg-3197021.JPG
View Quote

That’s got to be a mission where you need to track down a person of interest. Frankly I don’t recall that being a thing, but I was also never very thorough in my playthroughs. I just liked blowing shit up and hunting.

ETA: I’m so lost on what this comment is talking about. There’s the capture party stuff where you get kidnapped before your showdowns with the bosses, but I don’t remember capturing anyone for a mission.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

I sometimes stay awake at night, wondering just how many more times I could have had "Just kidding, you lose everything, now start over!" pulled on me.  

One of my favorite memories of the game was running on my horse along a trail at night, and some douchenozzle on a horse coming the other way ran right into me, and it killed him.  So, immediately, the po-op was out for me, because... IDK, they're clairvoyant.   So I dismounted and started carrying the body away to hide it, because I dindu nuffin.   RIGHT THEN in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT comes ANOTHER person who sees me carrying the body, and starts screaming and running to the cops.  So I drop the body, mount up, and go after this snitch.  I don't want to kill him, because I'm not a killer, I'm just misunderstood... so I lasso the dude and start tying him up.

AGAIN, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, ANOTHER RANDOM CITIZEN COMES TROTTING DOWN THE TRAIL, because evidently, that's how things are in the middle of nowhere in early America.  They see me lassoing this dude and start screaming and running for the cops.  At this point, I'm fed up with this bullshit and shoot them, shoot the dude I've lassoed, and start hiding the bodies.... AND ANOTHER DUDE COMES ALONG RIGHT THEN.  So a bullet they get.  AND ANOTHER PERSON.  AND ANOTHER.  I spent a good solid 40 minutes just slaughtering countless droves of people who just *happened* to be out for a stroll in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, honestly just trying to get them to quit coming so I could stop slaughtering and get back to my business.  Eventually, the cops showed up, and I killed them and started running for all I was worth.

It was wild.
View Quote

I don’t know. I’ve killed more cops, bounty hunters, and random npcs than I can remember. I’m at the point where I like to see how high I can get my bounty.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Obrez:
I do like the overall vibe of NV more. FO4 may be sleeker and more detailed but NV was something special even with it's problems. I call it a tie, if only for all the bugs I had to work through with NV.
View Quote

NV was crazy buggy for sure, because Obsidian only had something like 14 months start to finish because the last game studio went out of business.   These days, there are patches/mods that fix the great majority of the bugs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
NV is the better game.

Fall Out 4 has better graphics, gameplay, weapons, and a great open world.  Despite all of this the characters and storyline of NV makes it the better game.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
New Vegas is the RPG that I wished Skyrim and Fallout 4 were.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:34:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#9]

Maybe y’all could tell me how accurate the following is:

After 4, I remember people complaining that one of them had “kidnappings” where you’d just be out and about and you’d randomly get kidnapped, taken another location, and have to escape.  There was also no way to turn it off.  That sounded VERY annoying.

I also saw some complaints about one of the post-4 ones where you had to frequently change out your ammo (AP, HP, etc). And it wasn’t that there was a bonus or a slight reduction in efficiency.  It was a massive difference.  And you had to do it often. Again, no way to turn it off.

Also, enemies respawning too quickly.  You’d take an outpost and before you even had time to leave, the enemies would respawn and attack you.
View All Quotes

After 3, 4 was the only Far Cry I played.  4 was good, but 3 was great.

Have you played the ones after 4? If so, what is your opinion on them?  I’ve heard mixed reviews, at best.

5 is meh, 6 is slightly less meh in my opinion. 4 and 3 are the best.

Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

2 was WILD, 3 was excellent, 4 was even better imho. 5 was great, 6 was trash.

IMHO

Maybe y’all could tell me how accurate the following is:

After 4, I remember people complaining that one of them had “kidnappings” where you’d just be out and about and you’d randomly get kidnapped, taken another location, and have to escape.  There was also no way to turn it off.  That sounded VERY annoying.

I also saw some complaints about one of the post-4 ones where you had to frequently change out your ammo (AP, HP, etc). And it wasn’t that there was a bonus or a slight reduction in efficiency.  It was a massive difference.  And you had to do it often. Again, no way to turn it off.

Also, enemies respawning too quickly.  You’d take an outpost and before you even had time to leave, the enemies would respawn and attack you.

Kidnappings: 5, as explained by others. There's a progress bar as you finish tasks that show when the next one will happen. I try to avoid it as long as possible for an FU to the game

I think the review complaint you mentioned might have to do with one boss that requires you to finish a run and gun section a few times with a time limit. It's not super hard but can be annoying. Once the boss from the region is dealt with you can do whatever you want in the region as you like.

Ammo changing: 6, and one of the reasons I hated the game, plus IIRC it felt a lot less realistic due to stupid health bars.

Enemy respawns: Definitely 2

But, 2 is set in Africa. You can clear a checkpoint then come back a few minutes later and it's populated again. But think about it in real life... do they ever stop spawning?

2 is definitely worth a play sometime, it has a much different feel than the others and shit goes sideways in it even faster.

ETA: Actually I just remembered that the forced kidnappings are similar to a story mechanic in 2, that's probably where they got the idea.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:24:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:

200+ mods? wtf? I played NV when it was new on pc and I didn't even think about mods back then. PC people wonder why games don't work for them anymore.
View Quote

I’m running about 20 on NV, about 95 or so on FO4.
Not having any problems once I got them in the right load order, really my NV game runs glitch free now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:36:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RogueSpear2023] [#11]
Fallout New Vegas was one of the best games ever created, and beats Fallout 4 by country mile, I would say Fallout 3 was better than 4. In for the story sucks ass, and you don't really get to decide anything for anyone.

If I could have shot Preston Garvey the first time I met him, the game would have been way better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:02:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

I don't care for New Vegas very much
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By M1Zeppelin:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I voted 4 because I played it the most.  I thought it was a really good game.  I should go back and finish the DLCs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Made a backup copy of Fallout 4. It was 54gigs
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Just downloaded a 14(ish)GB update for Fallout 4 in Steam.  Hoping I won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Dam17er:
Just downloaded a 14(ish)GB update for Fallout 4 in Steam.  Hoping I won't be disappointed.
View Quote

Other than wide-screen support and a few missions doesn't look like this update was really PC focused.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

Other than wide-screen support and a few missions doesn't look like this update was really PC focused.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
Originally Posted By Dam17er:

That was my impression as well, but I guess I'm trying to be optimistic.  Hoping for at least auto HDR support in win 11 (if not already supported).
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#20]
PS5 version of FO4 downloading now. Servers seem slow AF.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Fallout was one of those games I wanted to get into based off of reviews but couldn't after I actually bought and installed it.

Does it get better?

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Alex_F:
Fallout was one of those games I wanted to get into based off of reviews but couldn't after I actually bought and installed it.

Does it get better?

View Quote

I think so. Once I finally got past the initial opening sequence, I found the exploring to be entertaining. Now I want to collect a bunch of power armor sets for fun.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Does it get better?

View Quote

Which one? Most of the Fallout games have a forced tutorial/opening area that you need to navigate before you can get out into the open world. The one in Fallout 2 is particularly bad. New Vegas is one of the rare ones that doesn't have one, it just dumps you outside Doc Mitchell's house and says "good luck". You can get a semi-tutorial through Sunny Smiles, but it's completely optional.

They get much better once the tutorial is completed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By packingXDs:
PS5 version of FO4 downloading now. Servers seem slow AF.
View Quote

Console people probably want to finally play FO4 at 60fps and are hitting the servers hard.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Just for giggles I installed New Vegas and will try playing it with no mods again, which I haven't done in many years.

Wouldn't mind a couple of music mods but I'll just play my YouTube Music CONELRAD playlist in the background I guess lol.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes

https://i0.wp.com/media0.giphy.com/media/gpufDFw0sPBYY/giphy.gif

I love Skyrim, just wish the decision making impacted the world more than it does.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Get both?
In Fallout 4 I got bored and started collecting/building power armor even built a pink set for Piper.
It reached the point where they were cluttering up the streets.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:

Which one? Most of the Fallout games have a forced tutorial/opening area that you need to navigate before you can get out into the open world. The one in Fallout 2 is particularly bad. New Vegas is one of the rare ones that doesn't have one, it just dumps you outside Doc Mitchell's house and says "good luck". You can get a semi-tutorial through Sunny Smiles, but it's completely optional.

They get much better once the tutorial is completed.
View Quote

I think it was 2.  It's been a while.  I haven't even thought about it until the show came on...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#29]
NV had the story and RPG elements while 4’s gameplay was amazing. The guns, crafting/mods, settlements, armor, power armor, etc was all a massive improvement in 4. I really aughta try that mod that recreates NV in 4
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#30]

I think it was 2.  It's been a while.  I haven't even thought about it until the show came on...
View Quote

Yeah, 2's tutorial (the Temple of Trials) is complete shit. The devs have even said they hated it and it sucked but it was forced on them basically last-minute.

Get past it and Fallout 2 is the best of the entire series.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, downloaded the next-gen release of Fallout 4 for the PC.

What a disappointment.

The one thing, literally the only thing, I wanted them to fix is the load times.

Fallout 4 has horrible load times, even when running from an SSD, when transitioning from one area to another.  It is most noticeable when going into a building from outside or vice versa, it can take 30 seconds to a minute to load, because apparently disk access is tied to the physics timer.

They fixed it in Starfield, which had some of the fastest load times I have seen on modern titles, but apparently Bethesda didn’t bother back porting that.

But at least I can spend money on content creations that are free downloads outside of their store.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jvmcd:

What a disappointment.

The one thing, literally the only thing, I wanted them to fix is the load times.

Fallout 4 has horrible load times, even when running from an SSD, when transitioning from one area to another.  It is most noticeable when going into a building from outside or vice versa, it can take 30 seconds to a minute to load, because apparently disk access is tied to the physics timer.

They fixed it in Starfield, which had some of the fastest load times I have seen on modern titles, but apparently Bethesda didn’t bother back porting that.

But at least I can spend money on content creations that are free downloads outside of their store.

View Quote

They didn't fix that? That was one of the most annoying things about the game.

There's a mod to fix that, I had to do that right away when I played it from start to finish last year, wait a waste of time.

It's the only mod I bothered with it was that annoying to me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
Get both?
In Fallout 4 I got bored and started collecting/building power armor even built a pink set for Piper.
It reached the point where they were cluttering up the streets.
View Quote

That’s where I’m at in my playthrough rn. Still need to find full sets of T-51 and X-01. But I got the X-02 and Hellfire stuff that dropped today.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Yeah, 2's tutorial (the Temple of Trials) is complete shit. The devs have even said they hated it and it sucked but it was forced on them basically last-minute.

View Quote

I need to try 2 again. Once the game glitched out on me and my car and gear disappeared iirc. Another time I got stuck somewhere. It is a very difficult game, I got through 1 no problem but 2 kicks my ass for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By jvmcd:

What a disappointment.

They fixed it in Starfield, which had some of the fastest load times I have seen on modern titles, but apparently Bethesda didn't bother back porting that.

View Quote
I run this mod -

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10283?tab=description
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I looked at that a long time ago, but mods that are .dlls make me a bit nervous.

It probably needs updating for this new release.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Both great.  The setting of fallout 4 and the world, power armor, far harbor were all fantastic. Just great world building.  The idiotic consoleizing wasn't appreciated though.  Not the best storytelling either.  The exception to that was the storytelling done in the world and not voiced.  The consoles and their documents, item placement, and unsaid things were awesome. Some of their best work imo.  I didn't like the perks, thought they were mostly lame.

New Vegas is a better story and it's told better.  Gameplay was worse, but it's an older engine. Or version of the engine.  I liked the setting and characters, even if some were too over the top.

Fallout 3's retarded bullet sponging was terrible.  Still haven't beaten it and now that I have a baby I probably never will.

Fallout 1 and two were awesome.  Absolutely terrible interface though.  Just awful.  Didn't stop me from beating the first one.  Never did get completely through the second one.  Even as an old dos gamer I can no longer stand a poor interface.  

It reminds me of a program you company buys and it turns out they only have five customers because every other company is too smart to get roped in without a test run by the people who would actually use it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:06:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WinstonSmith] [#39]
Originally Posted By Obrez:

I had the exact opposite experience. NV was such a mess I would get attacked by the legion with their absurd armor and before the last guy's severed head finished rolling down the hill, another group would be spawned and on the attack.

I never much cared for the NV map setup either.

View Quote

FO1 was a decent game.  FO2 took the engine and let a bunch of goofy fucks have a ball with it and it was awesome.  NV was FO2 on the FO3 engine. The stage really is set for a bunch of goofy fucks to make a sequel on the FO4 engine.

ETA- I hope they do Manhattan.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Thanks, I'll try it again!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By madcap3k:
Both great.  The setting of fallout 4 and the world, power armor, far harbor were all fantastic. Just great world building.  The idiotic consoleizing wasn't appreciated though.  Not the best storytelling either.  The exception to that was the storytelling done in the world and not voiced.  The consoles and their documents, item placement, and unsaid things were awesome. Some of their best work imo.  I didn't like the perks, thought they were mostly lame.

New Vegas is a better story and it's told better.  Gameplay was worse, but it's an older engine. Or version of the engine.  I liked the setting and characters, even if some were too over the top.

Fallout 3's retarded bullet sponging was terrible.  Still haven't beaten it and now that I have a baby I probably never will.

Fallout 1 and two were awesome.  Absolutely terrible interface though.  Just awful.  Didn't stop me from beating the first one.  Never did get completely through the second one.  Even as an old dos gamer I can no longer stand a poor interface.  

It reminds me of a program you company buys and it turns out they only have five customers because every other company is too smart to get roped in without a test run by the people who would actually use it.

View Quote

The key thing for Fallout 3 is go for criticals.  High luck, crit perks, and make getting the unique weapons like Ole Painless, the Terrible Shotgun, and the Xuanlong assault rifle a priority.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:36:56 AM EDT
[#42]
NV has better writing but the gameplay is pretty poor much of the time, and it's easily the most bugged game I've ever played. Even with fan patches it crashes multiple times a gaming session.

Fallout 4 was the first Bethesda game I played that never crashed on me unless I was abusing mods, and the shooting is actually decent. The world is good and the writing is ok for the most part. I prefer it as a game.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:33:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#43]
I started this thread partly because I wanted to replay a Fallout game after watching the TV show and couldn’t decide between FNV AND F4.

ARFCOM GD has spoken: New Vegas it is.

Though I will say, when I was retrieving FNV from my PS3 box, this one was looking pretty tempting:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_8223_jpeg-3196413.JPG
View Quote

I got about 20 hours into my New Vegas replay, quit, and fired up Far Cry 3.

TBF, my last New Vegas replay was 2 years ago and my last Far Cry 3 replay was 8 years ago.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By madcap3k:

View Quote

The UI for 1 & 2 was typical of the time.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Slare:
FO4 there's no earning, it's just limited by being somewhat clunky, limited fuel, and it's also not staggeringly better than the best conventional armors.  For me, that meant I basically never use it in an honestly playthrough of FO4.
View Quote

Once I got the special armored coat from the Railroad, I just murdered them all and used that for the rest of the game.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:01:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SDGlock23] [#46]
I prefer Fallout 4, but New Vegas isn't exactly "bad".  F04 plays better and looks better and I consider it one of my favorite games of all time.  NV is good, but it also shows its age.  In FO4 I like that weapons and armor don't deteriorate and the weapon mods and perks are better too, at least I think so.  Some people might not like this because it's not like other Fallout games, but constantly having to eat/drink/fix weapons and armor can get old.  That should be an option (perhaps with more XP gained) and not a requirement to the base game, kind of like how FO4 survival mode is optional for those who are really hardcore.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#47]
FO4’s biggest issue is Boston sucks, regardless of setting. Even in a fantasy destopian post-apocalyptic future, Boston is just annoying.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Terrato] [#48]
I'm not the first person to make this observation, but Fallout as originally envisioned is fundamentally a Western. The settings and general ethos of 1, 2 and NV just fit better than the Midwest, DC, or Boston.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:55:31 AM EDT
[#49]

I love Skyrim, just wish the decision making impacted the world more than it does.
View All Quotes

https://i0.wp.com/media0.giphy.com/media/gpufDFw0sPBYY/giphy.gif

Your decisions directing determine who wins the war for control of the country. That seems pretty impactful to me.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top