Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:03:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn’t be at all, I start a new job on Monday
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:25:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Going through that now...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:32:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd concentrate on learning how to fully exploit .gov handouts, and the paradox we've created where being destitute is somehow more lucrative than working hard.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:33:32 AM EDT
[#4]
id take the year off and go fishing
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:37:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FourLoko:

He never shuts up about being awesome and retired.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FatSteve:

Accurate but somewhat disingenuous.

In his defense, he is somewhat awesome.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:38:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By OTDR:
Just saw a report of OJ Simpsons finances over the weekend, in addition to other income he was getting $3600 a month in Social Security. I am getting $3200 a month lol, ole OJ was only doing 400 a month more than me.

I have a lot of good monthly income from my Fidelity accts as well.

The trick to surviving the OPs question is to have no debt.

There is school buses to be driven everywhere as long as you have been a good person and can pass all the requirements.

I have been driving school buss the 1 year since I retired. Making $31.00 an hour part time with full time benefits.

If you can, you lose your job, go drive a school bus. I love the kids, hella fun job.
View Quote

If he had to do it all over again, OJ would have also robbed Nicole and Ron.
Things got tight a few times.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:04:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Although it would suck, I would be fine, as everything is paid for.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Wife’s job covers everything.

I’d have to look right away though.

We have no real savings, everything goes towards paying extra so we can pay off the mortgage faster etc.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#9]
6 months then things get bad.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Fine.  

Self employed
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:19:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't drive a truck anymore but I keep my CDL valid, so if I lost my current job today, I'd start a new one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:36:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been threatening early retirement for a couple years. Wouldn't bother me a bit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:54:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#14]
I'd be fine.

Oh wait, I quit three years ago.

I always had one month's paycheck in the bank even when I was an E-3 back in 1981. As my monthly paycheck started to creep up to $600 a month I started to save some. Seven years later I made Chief Petty Officer and started pulling down almost $1700 a month which my wife and child struggled to pay bills, but we saved.

Now we have no mortgage and we live within my pension and I have enough saved to provide a pretty a steady $5000 a month without touching the principal.

Discipline and delayed gratification (and a whole bunch of luck ) for the win.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:56:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#15]
I'd establish residency in Washington State with my wife and kids and struggle by on +$10,200  a month in welfare payments.

Paying Americans not to work.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#16]
We have about a year at current spend rates but we’d cut spending significantly. Only debt is our mortgage.

I’d be happier and eventually I’d get a job to tide me over til pensions kick in and I can pull 4% a year from retirement accounts without the early withdrawal tax penalty.

Companies suck nowadays. It’s a good idea to be financially resilient.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm fortunate, that if it happened at this time, I could just retire.
The last time it happened, there were rumors, but nothing concrete.
When each of us got called in to the manager's office after 12:00 PM, then things became concrete real quick.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#18]
What exactly is supposed to happen to cause this calamity?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:04:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rheinmetall792] [#19]
My investments are self sustaining and with an adjustment to lifestyle, I could maintain financial security indefinitely with no job without touching principal.  This was comforting to know when my previous job attempted to intimidate me into accepting the Poison Jab a couple of years ago. I knew I could simply say Fuck You and replace the job when ready, no need to surrender.

Once I can NOT work with NO lifestyle adjustment compared to the present and have breathing room to increase it if I choose, it's time to retire from the corporate world.

So the answer? No worries aka Fuck You Corporate Stooges.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#20]
As long as either my wife or I was employed to cover benefits, we would be fine.

I am not yet where I would like to be financially, but am past my initial retirement goal and am debt free.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#21]
No problem.

Prez. Poopy Pants has said time and time again how good the economy is, that he's created millions of jobs and unemployment is at an all time low.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By zach_:
Been there many years ago. I got another yob.
View Quote
Been there last year. Got another job.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Mercworx:
6 months. I have a 6 month emergency fund including fixed and variable (to my best estimates) expenses.

My fields job outlook is fairly solid. I’m in EHS I think I could find something within 6 months.
View Quote

This.  I have a 6 month emergency fund and my line of work is always in demand so I would be surprised if I couldn’t land another job inside of a month.

I can also stretch those 6 months into 7-8 if I cut down on my healthy food habits and bought cheaper stuff if needed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#24]
My retirement would start early
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#25]
We are blessed to be able to lose both jobs for a year + without dipping into any sort of retirement savings.

But I do believe shit is about to get real. In my sector we have seen 2 consecutive quarters that have cooled significantly.  Almost every company we are talking to is about to go into a round of layoffs.

We had a huge boom post COVID - my guess is this is the sector right sizing but who knows.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Not really lost. About to embark on a second career. I’m drawing retirement and disability from the first one. However with the way inflation is going those checks will be meaningless soon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#27]
With my investments, assets and savings I could live comfortably for about 17 minutes before I’d be in serious trouble.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
My company pays out PTO when employees leave. Right now they'd owe me for a month of PTO, which I could stretch to last a while before needing to dip into my retirement accounts.
View Quote

Between paid out PTO and RSU stocks vesting, could last a few months.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#29]

It would force me to change and that might be healthy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd just retire 18 months earlier than planned.    
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:40:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DDalton] [#31]
Wouldn't be a problem. I learned all about this in 2007, got some severance, but extreme shortage of available jobs made the lesson stick.  I still have most of that severance in my emergency fund. You have any emergency fund, right?

eta: oh yeah, also, I quit my job 1.5 years ago and didn't have anything lined up. I still haven't started looking, and don't have any plans to. Early retirement is better than work, so far.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd be just fine actually
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd be hurting a little but I'd figure it out pretty quick. Guess it depends on how long it took me to find something else, which likely wouldn't be too long.
I'd probably end up happier in the long run
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:46:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chisum] [#34]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:
No severance pay, nothing at all. I have a feeling we're going to end up in a situation even worse than 2008.
View Quote

I retired 8 years ago. My ranch is secure but everyone I know is screwed.

2008 was a warmup. With Biden in the WH, it is guaranteed to get worse. Inflation is way worse than they are reporting. The Democrats are on a ship about to hit the Baltimore bridge...  Oh, that's right, it already did.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#35]
No problem, I would really consider selling my current home and relocating to mountains in the West.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#36]
squared away - switch to paid EMT work , even drive the crazy people transport if I had to - offer up more ccw classes

health insurance would suck maybe
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FatSteve:

Accurate but somewhat disingenuous.

Well, being retired is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Off-the-Grid:
No problem, I would really consider selling my current home and relocating to mountains in the West.
View Quote

Look to the Ozark and Ouachita ranges. The land is cheaper and more fertile, more abundant wildlife, lower taxes, high Republican population density, and more importantly you don't shovel snow here.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#39]
It kind of depends if the industry is still acting like there's a vaccine mandate. If no, then I could probably find a job in the next few months. If yes, then my career is over and I have bigger problems.

But, my savings will take me about a year. Add unemployment and severance, that's another year. Then I start selling stuff to pay bills, which probably won't carry me all that much further.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#40]
I would drive to Mexico walk back thru a hole in the fence, BAM free money!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#41]
I would be fine.  I would file for unemployment, live more below my means than usual.  Probably work under the table for my brother or father doing excavation work for the summer, then find another job after hunting season.  Truth be told I would make way more money doing that than I would at my career.  

If no unemployment I would do the same as above.  Aside from my primary career having multiple skill sets and abilities doesn't funnel you in the job market.  I can work on cars, motorcycles, ATVs, I can operate heavy equipment, I can run a chainsaw, I can mow lawns, I can fix plumbing, blah blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#42]
0% screwed.  I have some savings and a bit of passive income to get by for a while.  It wouldn’t be fun, however.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#43]
My dividends are enough to pay annual expenses
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Money in the bank is just numbers on paper/screens.

Already screwed here. By God. At birth.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#45]
I have 4 months saved. Last time i looled for a job it took me a year to find one i wanted. But i was employed. I think i could find a job in 2 months but moving costs are the real B. Everyone reimburses cost of moving but moving companies want cash. Ran into that on the last move.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#46]
It would suck because of my age but I am pretty resilient. Now if my husband lost his job that would be devastating. His union would probably protect him but it would take a while.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#47]
I'd be fine. We just sold our house and moved into a cheaper place with land to be away from the city. My Army retirement and VA Pension is more than enough to cover our expenses. I would have more time to get our garden started and make that my full time job. The proceeds from the house would make us 100% debt free and have some cash left over for an emergency fund.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Muerte:
id take the year off and go fishing
View Quote

I fish for a living and I’m taking the rest of the year off.

If I get bored I’ll go dig some clams or lend a hand at an oyster farm.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#49]
as a business owner, it would mean something epically bad with no warning happened. I think bad enough the loss of the job would be the least of my concerns.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:12:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankW134] [#50]
Don't tease me with an extended camping trip.  My ex wife is the only one that would suffer from that event.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top